Airline bomber getting out of prison

dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:58 pm
@BillRM,
babble
roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:01 pm
Somehow, compassion seems an odd term to use in connection with someone like this.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:23 pm
@dyslexia,
babble
-------------------------
Case in point<grin>.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:25 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

babble

Another trenchant proof by dyslexia, who apparently cannot defend any of his opinions except with the quick, irrelevant slash.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:47 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
dyslexia wrote:

babble

Quote:
Another trenchant proof by dyslexia, who apparently cannot defend any of his opinions except with the quick, irrelevant slash.

horseshit
contrex

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:51 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
very very sick people here who hate for the US

Dislike of and contempt for certain attitudes of mind present in the USA (as well as elsewhere) is not necessarily a blanket "hatred".
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:29 pm
@contrex,
Dislike of and contempt for certain attitudes of mind present in the USA (as well as elsewhere) is not necessarily a blanket "hatred".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It surely is when it is given as the reason to defend releasing a mass murderer to a hero welcome in the country that send him out to murder in the first place!

We do not like or care for the behavior of the US government therefore by some strange and I mean very very strange logic releasing a mass murderer is no big deal.

Bush started a war we did not approve of and people was kill so blowing a airliner out of the sky is not big deal!

I did not approve of the war however I still think that a mass murderer should not be released for some strange reason.

Another example is I do not approve of all the actions we had taken in the history of our relationship with the Commonwealth of Puerto however that does not mean that I happen to agree with releasing the man who kill a poor security guard defending president Truman or the woman who took part in wounding a number of congressmen by machine gun fire either.

There is no logic reason to need to approve all actions that the US had taken in it long history to not wish to see killers released.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 07:25 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

But use of nationalistic slurs like "spic", "chink" or "usian" is a strong indication of either extreme ignorance or hatred.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 08:55 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
dyslexia wrote:

babble

Quote:

horseshit

Don't you liberals ever have evidence to back up your opinions? Are you really reduced down to the levels of arguments consisting of expletives?
BillRM

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:02 am
@Brandon9000,
You know what I find interesting in all the attacks on the evilness of America with special reference to our foreign polices, no one had address my question on which world power in all of recorded history should we look to for an example on how we should behave.

Yes, I know you American haters it does not matter how every other world power had acted during their times in the spot light of history America is somehow specially evil and should be ashame of itself for it every sin and have no pride for any good it had done.

Then this is unfair as most of these people know little history and cry when you refer to history as only the moment we are in count except for slavery in America or the poor treatment of American Indians. That they refer to with great joy but with no willing to place either in the content of history.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:42 am
The leading article in today's Independent on Sunday sums up my opinion better than I ever could do it:

A merciful release
Quote:
There seem to be two diametrically opposite views of the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted of the Lockerbie bombing. One, the predominant view, is that Megrahi is guilty of such a horrendous crime that he should die in jail.

The other is that his conviction in 2001, some 13 years after the explosion on Pan Am flight 103, was unsafe, and that his release on compassionate grounds is the least worst way of bringing one part of an unsatisfactory episode to a conclusion.
[...]
... There was something not quite right about the case against Megrahi, brought under Scottish law in a Dutch court after a complex series of international deals persuaded the Libyan regime to surrender two suspects. We acknowledge, on the one hand, the view of those such as the liberal barrister Geoffrey Robertson, who are convinced of Megrahi's guilt. On the other hand, many of those with an informed interest in the case, including Jim Swire, the father of one who died in the bombing, are equally convinced of his innocence. At the very least, there were reasonable grounds for Megrahi's further appeals against his conviction.

Those legal actions could have taken their course had it not been for Megrahi's being diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. At that point, in our view, the question changed. Inevitably, given the conspiracy theories that have swirled about this case from the start, it has been assumed in some quarters that his release is part of a deal to allow British companies to get their hands on Libyan oil, or to conceal the identity of the true authors of the Lockerbie atrocity. Some have even doubted Megrahi's diagnosis.

So the question then became whether it was right that someone, guilty in the eyes of the law, should be released on compassionate grounds and allowed to die at home. In this, questions of Megrahi's guilt or innocence ought to become irrelevant. The fact is that we do not know whether he did it or not. Pending due legal process, he should be treated as if he did.

Megrahi may well be innocent, then, but the critical point is that, even if he is not, it was right that he should be released when doctors gave him three months to live. In this we find ourselves on the side of Kenny MacAskill, the Scottish Justice Secretary, who took the decision.
[...]
All we need to decide is whether a dying man, even if he is guilty of a terrible crime, should be shown compassion. We were impressed by Mr MacAskill's words when he announced his decision. "Megrahi now faces a sentence imposed by a higher power," he said. "The perpetration of an atrocity and outrage cannot and should not be a basis for losing sight of who we are, the values we seek to uphold, and the faith and beliefs by which we seek to live." We agree that "our beliefs dictate that justice be served, but mercy be shown".

The related report in the Independent: The legacy of Lockerbie: A good week for conspiracy theorists

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I keep reading about this and what I'm really interested in knowing that doesn't seem to be covered in any of the newspaper articles I've read (Times and Guardian) is exactly where Mr. al-Megrahi was for the thirteen years between the actual bombing and his conviction - and how the evidence unfolded that led to his arrest and conviction- in other words - how is he tied to the Lockerbie bombing at all?

I hope someone writes a book about it.
aidan

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:00 am
@aidan,
I just read your link - that fills in at least some of the blanks. thanks
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:23 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Should this man be released from prison on compassionate grounds? Or should he die there?
I can certainly understand the outrage from the families of the victims.

Should a person who has shown no compassion for his victims, expect to be shown any themselves?

-------------------------------
Airline bomber getting out of prison
Vancouver/CKNW(AM980)

8/19/2009

A man convicted of bombing Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988 is being released from prison on compassionate grounds.

57 year old Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi is terminally ill with prostate cancer.

Families of victims in the United States are outraged, while the majority of British public opinion supports the move.

A majority of the passengers on flight 103 were American.

The bombing killed all 259 people on the plane and 11 people on the ground.

He 's as good as dead; its insignificant.

The Scotch were saving themselves the cost of keeping him alive.
Thay don 't have to pay for it as long as he is in Lybia.

David
McTag

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:15 am

It's not insignificant judging from the shitstorm which has arrived this weekend at the door of the Scottish Justice Minister, and by extension, the government in London.

It's "freedom fries" all over again in some quarters.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:42 am

a Tempest in a Teapot or Much Ado About Nothing Much ?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:19 am
@McTag,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It may had been the evil American flag ship airline that had their airliner blown out of the sky however a lot of non-Americans loss their lives as a result some even on the ground.

So this matter concern families all over Europe as well as the US but then that was true to a degree for 911 as it was not only American citizens kill in that attack.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:39 am
Quote:
The Scottish First Minister was today forced to defend the decision to set free the Lockerbie bomber as outrage over his release continued to mount.

Alex Salmond maintained the move was made in accordance with the Scottish judicial system and was taken for the “right reasons”, after Robert Mueller, the director of the FBI, claimed Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi’s release “made a mockery” of the law and rewarded terrorism.
[...]
Mr Salmond said in a Radio 4 interview that the Scottish Justice Secretary, Kenny MacAskill, had acted in accordance with Scots law. He also said Mr Mueller was wrong to claim all families disagreed with their decision.

“As you’re well aware, a number of the families, particularly in the UK, take a different view and think that we made the right decision,” he said

Mr Salmond pointed out that Mr MacAskill had not invited the two applications aimed at securing his repatriation, one for prisoner transfer and one for compassionate release. He also suggested the Americans did not understand the principle of compassionate release because it is not part of the US judicial system.

Mr Mueller, a former US prosecutor, played a key role in the Lockerbie investigation. In his letter to Mr MacAskill he said: “Your action in releasing Megrahi is as inexplicable as it is detrimental to the cause of justice.

“Indeed your action makes a mockery of the rule of law. Your action gives comfort to terrorists around the world.”

He added that he normally did not comment on the actions of other prosecutors, but he had been forced to abandon the rule because he was so “outraged”.

The Scottish Government said Mr MacAskill would respond to Mr Mueller’s letter “in due course”.

... ... ...
Times
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
He 's as good as dead; its insignificant.

The Scotch were saving themselves the cost of keeping him alive.
Thay don 't have to pay for it as long as he is in Lybia.

my thoughts exactly
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:20 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It's not insignificant judging from the shitstorm which has arrived this weekend at the door of the Scottish Justice Minister, and by extension, the government in London.

Those stupid Americans, objecting to the release of a man who put a bomb on an airliner! Maybe you should go and tell the families of the murdered people why this is a good idea.