Airline bomber getting out of prison

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
If he's not guilty, he should get a new trial, but as long as his conviction stands, he should be treated as though he did what he was convicted of.

He's got months to live, no time for the appeal (which he dropped in this deal).
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:43 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Mass murderer thought process...

"I wasn't going to bomb that building because they were talking about putting me away for life, but now that I know I can get out right before I die, what the heck, I'M GOING FOR IT!!"

People pick up a general impression of the degree to which society condemns a behavior.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
If he's not guilty, he should get a new trial, but as long as his conviction stands, he should be treated as though he did what he was convicted of.

He's got months to live, no time for the appeal (which he dropped in this deal).

Granted.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 01:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Actually, Megrahi's second appeal against conviction was scheduled to begin on 27 April 2009. It was announced that the hearing could last as long as 12 months because of the complexity of the case and volume of material to be examined. Since at that time it was already known that he would only live between "months" and "no than longer 'many months' " ...

(According to the [last] legal examination by Professor Robert Black QC, FRSA, FRSE, FFCS, ILTM from 1 November 2007, Blake stated "that not only was there a wrongful conviction, but the victim of it was an innocent man."
McTag

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 01:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Although it has to be said, that the guilt or innocence of the man was not part of the Justice Minister's decision this time. He stated that he accepted the court's decision to convict was the correct one.

Shame that the Libyans gave him an official welcome, with cheering and rejoicing, on his arrival at Tripoli.
(and not forgetting, that the Libyans deported him for trial in the first place)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:34 am
@Reyn,
I don't see why he should be released. Do they release other prisoners? Is it fair to those prisoners that die of natural causes? In that vain, they should release anyone over a certain age for compassionate reasons.

Besides above - I thought he was sentenced to life in prison - well he should have to serve it. Tough - he chose to kill those people - where is the compassion for the victims' families?
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:36 am
@Gala,
It is one thing to forgive, however, he still should serve his time. We start doing this, then we will be surrounded by murders that are let go for compassionate reasons. What is to deter these murders from killing again even if ill? It doesn't take much energy to shoot a gun and considering they don't have much time left to live what is the incentive not to kill again?
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:38 am
@Gala,
As I stating forgiving is not the same as allowing a prisoners to go free. You can forgive the person, but still expect them to remain in jail.

Otherwise whenever someone commits a crime, we might as well just say - OK you are forgiven - go free. On the bright side, it would save alot of money in running a court system.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:39 am
@Linkat,
I read something like 1200 convicted felons in california prisons are being released because it costs too much to keep them.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:57 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I don't see why he should be released. Do they release other prisoners? Is it fair to those prisoners that die of natural causes? In that vain, they should release anyone over a certain age for compassionate reasons.

Besides above - I thought he was sentenced to life in prison - well he should have to serve it. Tough - he chose to kill those people - where is the compassion for the victims' families?

Other prisoners are released as well.

Despite what you think: even if there wasn't a second trial - it was judhged that he could go out on probation after 27 years.
(And I sincerely doubt that he would have have belonged with such a verdict to those few hundreds (if not less) who stay really a "life long" in prison.)

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:05 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

It is one thing to forgive, however, he still should serve his time.

That's what you think. The Scottish law (as well as the English/Welsh and the Northerns Irish law, but any other European, too) say different. (That's all according to the various criminal and penal laws.)
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:12 am
@dyslexia,
Pretty sad in my opinion. I think prisoners should have to work for their keep. Don't know why they don't - at least that is one small way to give back to society.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That is according to forgiveness along the lines that some one else stated - ie the Pope forgiving - not legally, but morally was what I was commenting on. I do not know anything in regard to Scottish law so I cannot comment on that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:17 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Pretty sad in my opinion. I think prisoners should have to work for their keep. Don't know why they don't.

Because ...

You mean that prisoners should work in a prison to pay for being punished?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:18 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Pretty sad in my opinion. I think prisoners should have to work for their keep. Don't know why they don't - at least that is one small way to give back to society.
try reading a bit of history, labor unions killed convicts working. (unfair competition)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:21 am
@Linkat,
No, that has nothing to do with "forgiveness" but with laws.

I can't quote the Scottish criminal law here neither, but in our German Crinal Code (which is Roman Law, not Common Law) we got several paragraphs about that:

Quote:
Title Four Suspended Execution of Punishment And Probation

Section 56 Suspended Execution of Punishment
Section 56a Term of Probation
Section 56b Conditions
Section 56c Instructions
Section 56d Probation Assistance
Section 56e Subsequent Decisions
Section 56f Revocation of Suspended Execution of Punishment
Section 56g Remission of Punishment
Section 57 Suspension of the Remainder of a Fixed Term of Imprisonment
Section 57a Suspension of the Remainder of a Punishment of Imprisonment for Life
Section 57b Suspension of the Remainder of a Punishment of Imprisonment for Life as an Aggregate Punishment
Section 58 Aggregate Punishment and Suspended Execution of Punishment
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:23 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Linkat wrote:

try reading a bit of history, labor unions killed convicts working. (unfair competition)

Most work here, but they can be forced only by a juridical order. (And they don't pay their "stay" with the money, but earn a bit -literally- pocket money.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No to pay back for their keep and to find a way to be positive to society - not necessarily as punishment - prison is the punishment.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:27 am
@dyslexia,
Well I am in general not a union fan. And no matter what reason - we do alot of things in our society and government that is not common sense.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:28 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

No to pay back for their keep and to find a way to be positive to society - not necessarily as punishment - prison is the punishment.

Well, that's what meant: paying for their keep in prison, which is the punishment.