Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

George

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I might have gotten that backasswards. We all are picking the Giants except George, who has the Broncos.

Of course.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:30 pm
@George,

even your son has the Giants.
spendius

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
Tell me Johnny-- do the Cheer Leaders go on the road with the team.

I'm starting to love NFL. For which you have my profound gratitude.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
He'll regret that, I assure you.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:35 pm
@George,
seems everybody but ol' latin George gets a great big zero.

26 ~ 6 in favor of the Donkeys

(please see blind squirrel theorem for scientifical explanations)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:42 pm
@Rockhead,
So it goes, congrats, George.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:17 am
Thank you.
It was a tasty acorn.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:56 pm
Good evening to yall from Virginia. We have had snow flurries, drizzle, sun and some pretty hefty gusts today. About freezing right now with more wind expected overnight.
I got an email from ehBeth. She picked in the Thursday games and in some of the Sunday games and will pick up the rest at a later time.
So we got burnt in the Denver-NY Giants game (except for George).
Moving on:
We are unanimous in picking the Falcons over the Bucs, the Bengals vs the Browns, Philly against the Redskins and the Chargers crushing the Chiefs.
Only Wandeljw is wanly waving the flag for the Bears vs Minnesota. ElStud, Cowdoc and Maporsche have the Bills over the Dolphins.
I am listing these games as toss-ups: the Jets vs the Panthers, 49'ers against the Jaguars, Cardinals-Titans and Steelers visiting the Ravens.
George scored with the Broncos' pick but he disagrees with the majority of us on two of the remaining non toss-up games. Despite having one game in the loss column a whole bunch of us agree on the rest.

So I am thinking of crashing the next White House dinner. I have never worn a tuxedo. And shoes...well, they were a bit of a luxury. My brother and I shared a pair with me wearing the left one and he wearing the right one, on alternating days. The key to getting in is having a long-legged blond at my side.
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
What are you on Johnny. You should come in our pub sometime. It could do with a bit of that sort of thing. I get blank stares when I do it.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
I can see you at the white house, but in a conference room, or maybe at Camp David, explaining why they should listen up..
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

. . . Only Wandeljw is wanly waving the flag for the Bears vs Minnesota . . .

Now that's a fan.
Aw-right, wan-DELL!!!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What are you on Johnny. You should come in our pub sometime. It could do with a bit of that sort of thing. I get blank stares when I do it.

Thirty-five plus years ago (do the math), I came home. But I couldn't stay put. I ran away, and hitch-hiked all over the world for 5 years. No camera. Some journals, most of which got lost. A lot of images in my head, including kids in Ethiopia sharing a pair of shoes.
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
How did they catch you?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oof, losing those journals..

Cameras - I can see them being in the way of looking while I'm a mad camera person for a lot of reasons.

A pal of ours is/was a good photographer and lost all his photos, in a fire, I think. Luckily one remembers some portion of the images shot.

On the ethiopian kids and the shoes, did they really have one a day - or both every other day..
I think I've read that many marathoners used to run barefoot, but don't trust me on that.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:45 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

How did they catch you?

?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:21 pm
Good evening. It has been a beautiful autumn day in Cville. The wind died down, the sky was cloudless and the temperature was in the mid-50's.
The UVA Cavaliers hosted the #14 ranked VA Tech Hokies. There were bunches of folks in town, cruising around with flags for one team or the other on their cars (or in VA Tech's case: pickups).
UVA played well for 3 quarters before they got tired. Tech will win, I think.

The UVA coach will probably get fired before I finish eating the left-over ham in the refrigerator.
Al Groh was the head coach of the NFL's NY Jets. He came to UVA about 5 years ago. He couldn't turn the program around plus he had a bit of an abrasive personality according to some. He will be shown the door.
And UVA will begin anew. New coach, high hopes, a bit of a grace period and then he gets the axe.
spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
And they say I'm a cynic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
finishing

~~~

picking randomly (by team names I recognize) can't be worse than the last few weeks <sob>

Green Bay

Dallas

NY Giants

~~~

Atlanta

Miami

Cincinnati

NY Jets

Seattle

Phil

Indianapolis

San Diego

San Francisco

Minnesota

Tennessee

Pittsburgh

New England

24 - 3 (is 3 possible? if not, gimme 10)

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 09:52 pm
The gang's all here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 12:27 pm
14 - 0