Some idiots actually think the NFL is wrong for giving Vick a 2nd chance.

ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:05 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

It is however the right of the NFL to do so and they should had done so in my opinion and that is the issue here.

I am not even sure if this is true.

Aren't there laws to protect ex-convicts from discrimination once their sentence is completed (assuming the job they want doesn't have anything to do with their crime)?

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 02:07 pm
@ebrown p,
Aren't there laws to protect ex-convicts from discrimination once their sentence is completed (assuming the job they want doesn't have anything to do with their crime)?
------------------------------------------------------------------
No where in the US that I am aware of is there such a silly law.

Does anyone else know of such a silly law anywhere in the US?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 05:39 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:

there have certainly been tax supported programs to help ex-cons achieve full employment, and thus be contributors to society and less likely to drift back into crime. We should be cheering Vick becoming re-employed.
BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
there have certainly been tax supported programs to help ex-cons achieve full employment, and thus be contributors to society and less likely to drift back into crime. We should be cheering Vick becoming re-employed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You got to be kidding me.
snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:26 pm
@BillRM,
What, exactly would you have him do? Walk the streets in a burlap sack and sandwich board with "I'm a bad person" on it?

What better than to have him make a long commitment to working on behalf of the humane society and speaking to kids about how despicable dog fighting is?
panzade

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:33 pm
@snood,
Quote:
What better than to have him make a long commitment to working on behalf of the humane society and speaking to kids about how despicable dog fighting is?

...can't argue with that
ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:35 pm
@panzade,
Let me rephrase that a bit...

What better than to have him - as a star NFL quarterback - make a long commitment to working on behalf of the humane society and speaking to kids about how despicable dog fighting is?
panzade

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:37 pm
@ebrown p,
hmmm...you mean as a journeyman he won't have much effect on young kids?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:57 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
hmmm...you mean as a journeyman he won't have much effect on young kids?

Word is that Vick is ready to compete for the starting QB job this year, and might be better than McNab right now. He has kept in shape, and McNab is not especially well liked or respected by the rest of the team. If Vick can outplay McNab, he will be welcomed into the starting position.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:26 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

It is however the right of the NFL to do so and they should had done so in my opinion and that is the issue here.

I am not even sure if this is true.

Do you actually believe that there are laws to force someone to enter into a business relationship with someone else if they don't like him? How about laws to force me to buy a football ticket? What a laugh. He murdered animals with his bare hands (in particularly painful ways like repeatedly slamming them into a concrete floor) and no one has to do business with him who doesn't want to.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:27 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

What, exactly would you have him do? Walk the streets in a burlap sack and sandwich board with "I'm a bad person" on it?

While he's talking about how despicable dog fighting is, he might also want to mention how despicable murdering under-performing dogs by blunt force trauma and electrocution is, don't you think?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:39 am
@snood,
A laborer or a 7/11 clerk or a stock boy or anything else but a NFL football player.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:40 am
I don't think he has become an exemplary human being. But, he has paid the penalty and is now engaged in some positive work with dogs. What more should he be asked to do? If we shunned every person in society whom we do not like, there would be a new caste system born. Who would pay to support the untouchables?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:56 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't think he has become an exemplary human being. But, he has paid the penalty and is now engaged in some positive work with dogs. What more should he be asked to do? If we shunned every person in society whom we do not like, there would be a new caste system born. Who would pay to support the untouchables?

Let me know when you've bought tickets to hear Bush, Cheney, and Ann Coulter speak. I don't have to give my personal patronage to people whom I consider horrible sociopaths.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:04 am
@Brandon9000,
The people you mentioned have not yet been punished for their crimes. Big and huge, also large, difference.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:15 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The people you mentioned have not yet been punished for their crimes. Big and huge, also large, difference.

I doubt you give your personal patronage to people you consider evil, and I certainly don't have to.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:42 am
@Brandon9000,
So far, it's a free choice.
George

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 06:23 am
@edgarblythe,
He admitted his crime (reluctantly and under pressure, admittedly)
He paid the penalty imposed by the law.
He says he won't do it again.
He is working with animal rescue as a way of paying back.

The NFL is justified in letting him play.
Having said all that, I don't want him on my team.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 06:33 am
frankly, I don't give a damn.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10:10 am

60 minutes interview --
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5245553n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel
0 Replies