Some idiots actually think the NFL is wrong for giving Vick a 2nd chance.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 10:24 pm
@Ragman,
I don't always make sense, hon.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:11 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

snood wrote:

Nah - anybody can do that, finn. Even you.

Why would I? It's not a holy text for me and I don't try and demonstrate how Christians are hypocrites.

Merely responding in kind to your "compliment" - C&Ping bible verses takes no special talent or industriousness, so I can't do it any "better" than you or anyone else.

Hey snood, I've tried measured responses, but if you want to pick a fight so be it.

You quoted scripture with the explicit intent of suggesting that I am a hypocrite.

My response was that you're better at quoting the bible than I am. Agression, to only the most thin of skinned.

Not good enough for you, you had to come back with a retort.

Look, if you want to claim the Last Word...so stipulated.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm no fan of torturing dogs.
I can understand people getting into it where they live, from play and then from non connection. How many of the the naysayers lived his life?

Preachathon, I suppose it is useful for some, but connection with dogs is better.

So, all of us who hate this stuff, want to crucify all of those who get into it in their lives?

I think that if Vick gets a clue, and more clues, this is good.

"Naysayers?" Is that how you define the people who are horrified and outraged at the torture of dogs?

Are you really trying to make the argument that the torture and killing of dogs is simply a difference in cultures?

Vick did far worse than simply run dog fights.

snood

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

snood wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

snood wrote:

Nah - anybody can do that, finn. Even you.

Why would I? It's not a holy text for me and I don't try and demonstrate how Christians are hypocrites.

Merely responding in kind to your "compliment" - C&Ping bible verses takes no special talent or industriousness, so I can't do it any "better" than you or anyone else.

Hey snood, I've tried measured responses, but if you want to pick a fight so be it.

You quoted scripture with the explicit intent of suggesting that I am a hypocrite.

My response was that you're better at quoting the bible than I am. Agression, to only the most thin of skinned.

Not good enough for you, you had to come back with a retort.

Look, if you want to claim the Last Word...so stipulated.

No offense taken, and I was actually originally responding to Edgar's comment. I assumed he had knowledge of some profession on your part of christianity. If you had made such a profession, then yes, I was intimating you were a hypocrite. Since you say you haven't, it doesn't really apply to you.

And I'll "retort" as often and in any manner I please, thank you. (in my estimation, my responses are as "measured" as well)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:22 am
@snood,
Retort as you will
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Please, assume I abhor dog fights. Or cock fights. And bull fights, which I have watched.

I think these will happen throughout history, including future history. I don't think all indulging in these maneuvers are imbeciles, but living their culture. I am for none of that but know it goes on.
I feel much the same re man and our weapons.

I think this is different from the very odd child who tears apart animals.

But, I'm no psychologist.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:29 am
@ossobuco,
I don't think you know all the facts about Vick
ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I do. I abhor those facts.
He may have woken up - it seems so - - or he might not have. Humans can learn.
I simply don't know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
I know what Vick did. If I had been in a position to do so, I might have given him a harsher sentence. But vengeance should only go so far. Particularly if the person makes a genuine effort to reform. Society is rife with persons of whom I do not approve. We would slip into anarchy, perhaps, or have a prison state, to act against every person that disgusts us. It should be that once the court has done with someone and if they make the right moves, we ought to back off and let them function as a member of society. Or is it a closed circle? The incorrigible, the ones who are always going to be a danger to others and/or themselves are provided for by removing them from our midst, through lifetime incarcerations. The rest - Live with it.
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Hmm...when I think of the sheer number of criminals (incarcerated and not) that walk this earth, my mind boggles. For example, let's compare the former Veep Cheney and hold his feet to the fire and compare his acts to, let's say, Vick, it puts things into a different perspective. Not to minimize it, but the danger to which Cheney has put the public at large in comparison to Vick is a drop in the bucket.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:39 am
Vick did far worse than simply organize dog fights. Dogs who performed poorly were killed. The dogs were killed in terrible ways - electrocuted, drowned, and hanged; one little, red dog was slammed repeatedly to the floor by Vick himself until its bones were broken and it was dead. The suggestion of letting the dogs go that showed no fight potential was vetoed by Vick who ordered them to be killed.

He may have formally paid his debt to society, but a person who would do these things is not normal and will never be normal.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:52 am
@Brandon9000,
Right now he is acting normal. What else do you want?
patiodog

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 11:09 am
A little amusing that one of the ads offered to me at the bottom of the page here is for "CSN Philly -- Eagles News: Get the Latest News on Michael Vick & the Philadelphia Eagles."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Right now he is acting normal. What else do you want?

He has formally paid his debt to society, but I don't have to like him, nor do I have to endorse monsters who pretend to be normal only so as not to be ostracized.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
you got all that from the news reports, eh Brandon...?

quite the psychology whiz you are...
snood

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:33 pm
I just want to ask those who are unsatisfied by whatever punishment Vick has or hasn't experienced:

Do you believe in rehabilitation? The idea is that human beings are capable of learning and changing. When someone is convicted of a crime then serves his time or fulfills his restitution, and then behaves for all the world as if he or she is changed, isn't that the ideal purpose of even having a system of justice?

Isn't the only true measure of change the way someone behaves - what they actually do?

If you don't believe in rehabilitation as a general concept, then what would you provide in its place - eternal condemnation and punishment? If you only believe that certain criminals who commit certain kinds of crimes deserve the chance to try to live, and that others who commit crimes that are too heinous don't, how would you draw the real lines?

If those people - like Vick - that you consider too bad for redemption were your responsibility, how would you manage it? Would they ever be able to repay their debt to society in your estimation, or would you just put them all in your own little personal version of eternal damnation (like you were God sending them to hell)?

It's been asked of you before - Finn and Brandon and everyone who sounds as if they just don't think Vick got what he deserved - what exactly do you want? What would you have to happen, if you had your way?
electronicmail

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think this is different from the very odd child who tears apart animals.

No **** sister it's different. That subhuman scum tortured them for hours hanging them from hooks electrocuting them all the while they were hanging there in front of the other dogs.

To make a ******* EXAMPLE of them.

Read the ******* COURT TRANSCRIPT if you don't believe this. His compadres testified to the feds as well for a reduced sentence. Plea bargaining it's called.

NOTHING is too good for that kind of scum.

I hope to God the Vikings linebackers corner him in some dark alley and put him through what he did to those helpless animals for hours on end until he expires as they did.

The creep Snood is a.... mental health counselor... in .... the US.....ARMY?????

No wonder we got so many suicides among the troops as we do. It ain't what the JCS said, like stigma attached to mental illness and ****, it's WHO THE HELL WOULDN'T RATHER DIE THAN GO FOR HELP TO A TORTURE SUPPORTER LIKE SNOODY BOY HERE?????
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you got all that from the news reports, eh Brandon...?

quite the psychology whiz you are...

He drowned and electrocuted dogs, and slammed them into the floor until they were dead. What kind of a whiz do I have to be to realize that a normal person wouldn't do that? A person like that cannot be rehabilitated.

What would I prefer to have happened? Five years in jail, followed by me being permitted to not like the guy.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:39 pm
@snood,
Keep marking down my posts Snoody boy, you can't HANDLE THE TRUTH.

I HOPE YOU DON'T END UP LIKE THE MOSLEM WHO OPENED FIRE IN AN EMERGENCY MEDICAL ARMY FACILITY BUT I AIN'T TOO OPTIMISTIC 'BOUT YOUR SORRY ASS.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 01:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Right now he is acting normal.

this is the bit I keep coming back to.

he didn't just bet on dog fights. he didn't just run a dog-fighting operation. he didn't just kill dogs.

he tortured living beings.

Through most of the time he was doing that, he was "acting normal" in the rest of his life. Or at least normal enough that most people wouldn't have suspected he was torturing dogs to death.

I don't know that I would willingly trust him around any living being that was less strong than he is. There is something very dark inside someone who can torture in the way he did.

Do I believe that the darkness can be hidden? yes.

Do I believe that the darkness can be conquered? no.

Perhaps it can be. Perhaps it has been. I'm not 100% convinced.