Are you a handyperson?

Reyn

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 04:19 pm
Are you the type of person that can fix most things? I'm okay with painting and "very minor" repairs, but I've never felt comfortable tackling a lot of stuff around the home, or car, for that matter.

Who is the handyperson on this site? Step forward and let yourself be known.

chai2

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:02 pm
I unclogged the vacuum cleaner today.

It really sucks now.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:05 pm
I'm somewhat handy. I used to fix some small electronics, house appliances, stereos, cameras, computers...even some faucets. I do minor car repairs -- oil changes, change plugs, wires, hoses and tires. I'm pretty logical, if not the most skilled. However, if I'm not mistaken, I think Rockhead and Farmerman are pretty handy. Chumly is an electrician.
chai2

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:10 pm
@Ragman,
sozobe is very handy too.

I unclogged the sink yesterday.

It's really draining.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:16 pm
@Reyn,
You would be amazed at what can be fixed with a coat hanger and a pair of pliers.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:16 pm
@Reyn,
I enjoy working with wood and most other materials and have totally renovated my house. That includes a new roof from wood base to shingles, soffits, all hardware and trim in the house. Converted a downstairs room into a office with built in shelving and credenza.

I have changed most of the faucets etc. in the house and installed the dishwasher. I clean my own furnace and have also worked on the duct system. Everything from plumbing to electical to you name it. I maintain all of my own tools, lawnmower, snowblower etc.

Pretty well anything my wife comes up with, I can do. I say this in all humility.

My todo list is still longer than my life expectancy but when I get something done, it is done correctly.

P.S.
I leave the painting to my wife.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:17 pm
i'll do some pretty big tasks, rebuilt the pack porch on the house last year and built a deck this spring

before deck
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_0838.jpg
after deck
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_0854.jpg

i've done some small wiring jobs, installed a drop ceiling in the back room

will not do plumbing
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:18 pm
I devised a way to keep whole wheat biscuts from burning on the bottom. It involves heat distribution between the biscut and the surface of the baking sheet, employing small amounts of aluminum foil wadded up into tiny balls.

I don't even have an engineering degree.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
too bad (for me) you guys aren't my neighbors.
chai2

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:23 pm
Last month I identified and solved a problem with my car.

Every time I made a sharp turn, there was a rather loud thumping sound coming from beneath me. This went on for a few days and began to concern me.

By performing a little troubleshooting I found there was a loose can of Progresso Tomato Basil soup rolling around under the drivers seat.
Ragman

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:24 pm
@chai2,
hahaha. Good sleuthing.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:28 pm
@Reyn,
before I answer, you don't need your plumbing fixed, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kg1yZ1pPY&feature=related

I might be. (too stubborn to pay somebody else...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:34 pm
@Ragman,
I've always been a tad slow at learning about new equipment, be it a spectrophotometer or a new cooking gismo in the kitchen (which blade?) or a certain kind of saw - and recently I'm avoiding learning about my digital camera and installing my scanner. But once I get going, I'm pretty handy. I've renovated something like seven places, doing much of the work myself, with my husband and later without him.. with business partners or simply just me (built a studio by myself, except for electrical). I've stopped short re doing wiring, as I'm unreasonably scaredy cat about electricity and don't particularly want to overcome that fault. In the last five years my sense of my self in space is getting wobblier, having to do with my weird eyes, and I've gotten if not more timorous, more avoidant. Or lazy, as the case may be.

Oh, yeah, I'm also a poor sport about climbing up on the roof.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:35 pm
@Reyn,
I'm a problem solver. Don't know if that qualifies as being a handyperson.

I also enjoy figuring out how to improve things, recipes, etc. I'll follow the directions the first time and then wing it the next time to improve them.

Also enjoy taking things apart to learn what makes them tick. Can't always get them back together and working properly again, but I usually don't do the explorative surgery on things unless they're already broken.

I'll try to fix or build something myself first before giving in and asking for/hiring help. Mom calls it stubbornness, but won't admit I get it from her. Wink She still enjoys reminding me of all the times we were late going anywhere when I was learning how to tie my shoelaces because I would insist on doing it myself and would keep trying until I had it done perfectly.
ossobuco

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, I've observed you're a problem solver. A real boon for a2k, for sure. Not to flatter, but you consistently come up with possible answers for people.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:42 pm
@Ragman,
I could mail you some whole wheat biscuts. It won't exactly make up for not having me as a neighbor, but it's the best I can offer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:52 pm
I don't believe I was born to be handy. I have had the learning of it thrust upon me. As a consequence, I can be extremely handy, but I can also commit the world's biggest blunders. I generally overcome mistakes with perseverance. I am considered a very good maintenance man, but that is a consequence of my hard work more than any other quality I have.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:01 pm
One thing I know absolutely nothing about is cars. Don't even like to change a flat tire, let alone do something as remarkably complex as change the oil. Always try to find a full-service gas station so I don't have to pump my own and can ask somebody else to check the oil please.

Another thing I know absolutely nothing about is computers. If mine stops working, I check to see if it's plugged in and whether there's actually juice in the outlet (you do that by plugging in something else that you already know works). If it's more complicated than that, I have to call someone or drag the machine over to computer hospital.

That said, I'm fairly competent as a carpenter, can do basic electrical repairs and am familiar with how plumbing works. I hate to tackle any plumbing projects because I'm not very good at it. Knowing how it works and being able to fix it are two different things. But I've done framing, rough carpentry, finish work etc. etc., inc luding building exterior stair-cases etc. etc. Hate roofing but I've done it. Hate insulation, sheetrock, plastering and/or painting but have done all those as well, pretty successfully. I can build a house but someone else had better do the plumbing and wiring in it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:11 pm
Wow, some of you foks have impressive resumes, including chai, as well! Wink

I could only dream to measure up to some of you. Smile

Although, I did recently replace a switch on a lamp we have. I had my wife watch over me to see I didn't do anything stupid, like leave the cord plugged in.
djjd62

Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:14 pm
@Reyn,
don't laugh, i was using an outdoor extension cord and the last 5 feet was all nicked with insulation and wires exposed

aha i said, i have a replacement end in the garage i'll cut off the bad part, strip the wires and put the new end on

always a good idea to unplug the cord before cutting into it, electricity tingles