Are you a handyperson?

Reyn

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:05 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

started painting the old aluminum siding

Hey, that looks nice! Does it paint easily? Two coats?

Any concern about peeling, etc?
roger

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:09 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/74488.jpg

see that black dimple just to the right of the Estwing symbol?....anybody guess what that's for ?

C'mon, Panz. It's three months, so tell us what it is for. I kind of like George's answer, by the way.
djjd62

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:09 pm
@Reyn,
two coats, seems to be going okay, it's latex exterior paint, says it works on wood, vinyl ans aluminum siding

get about one coat on one section, rains for two days, another coat, more rain
Reyn

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:13 pm
@djjd62,
My hat is off to you for your efforts!

hehe, I live in a strata townhouse.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:32 pm
my hose bib in the back yard sprung a leak, I called the fixit man and he fixed it, cost me $35. I'm a handy person with a phone.
djjd62

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:35 pm
@dyslexia,
i'm not much for plumbing, and only basic electrical work
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:06 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

my hose bib in the back yard sprung a leak, I called the fixit man and he fixed it, cost me $35. I'm a handy person with a phone.

Sounds like a good price! I recon he wasn't an "official plumber", as that price would have been quadrupled.

So long the job got done!
dyslexia

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:38 pm
@Reyn,
1 hour labor=$20
parts=$15
total=$35
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:44 pm
@Reyn,
I could have fixed your hose bib, free if you sent me a ticket to Canada, but I can't fix my own since it's not made with the usual brass but some foul brittle pvc confection that I'd not heard of until I moved here, and I'm an old irrigation designer. I'm afraid to touch it because the pipes it is connected in the house wall to might crack. Thus I water with a watering can. I am apparently years too late to join in the community lawsuit. (Hiss.)
Reyn

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I could have fixed your hose bib, free if you sent me a ticket to Canada,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
It was dys who needed his bib fixed. Wink
ossobuco

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:11 pm
@Reyn,
Ah, well.
farmerman

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Im a wizz at finished carpentry and cabinet making. I sauck at anything that involves volts and gears. I put new wheel bearings on my tractor front and I put em in backwards so I then hadda get the whole reciever thibg re-ground and a new larger bearing sleeve installed. I learned a very important lesson.
1Never take a break in the middle of a job if you are above a certain age. Memory seems to be one of the first things that goes.
ossobuco

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:29 pm
@farmerman,
I used to be wise for minutes at a time, and now I'm so not. Damned humbling. Still, I remember this and that.
ossobuco

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Including the name of the pipe I'd never heard of.. butylene?
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:56 pm
@roger,
sorry rog

the duplex nail is used for form work

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/102298_front200.jpg

you stick the head in the dimple and then grab the hammer by the head and swing the handle against the plywood, starting the nail...especially convenient when it's high over your head.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/74488.jpg
roger

Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:16 am
@panzade,
Oh, for gosh sakes. Used a bazillion of those things, and mostly called them scaffold nails.
0 Replies

Reyn

Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
[...] I learned a very important lesson.
1Never take a break in the middle of a job if you are above a certain age. Memory seems to be one of the first things that goes.

Yeah, it can be embarrassing when one is determined to get from A to B, gets momentarily distracted, and forgets what the original assignment was! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 04:48 pm
Did a little bit of ceiling painting yesterday and today. I decided to use a brush, rather than a roller. It's more work, being on a ladder and all that, but does a better job on the popcorn texture.

Got a bit of a stiff neck though. Laughing
ossobuco

Tue 6 Oct, 2009 05:03 pm
@panzade,
thought so..
0 Replies

Reyn

Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:56 pm
The wife and I have been hard at work in the laundryroom portion of our basement today.

We finally finished the painting, and have a little more than half of the new floor tiles laid. It really looks a nice new improvement.

Can't wait to see the end of it though. My lower back is rather sore from bending over and kneeling on the floor.
0 Replies