Are you a handyperson?

JTT

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 12:14 pm
@panzade,
Quote:

Yes, in their span tables they use 19.2 OC but I believe it's only for 5/8 OSB 4x8 sheets(Oriented Strand Board), a lousy pressed board product that has been outlawed for roof and floor sheathing down here in S Florida.

I can understand why. OSB would virtually melt in that climate, not to mention its lack of strength in a hurricane.

Quote:

Everyone uses 3/4 ply for flooring(glued and nailed) so there is no need to deviate from the 24 inch OC layout.

Besides when you shrink the layout on floor trusses , you get the HVAC guy up your tail.

Another good regional choice. Do most houses there use floor trusses? Is there not much 2X? used for floor joists anymore?

panzade

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 12:38 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Is there not much 2X? used for floor joists anymore?

In the 70's and 80's building lots were so cheap that we hardly ever framed a 2-story.
Wisdom had it that we were building for retirees moving down from NY and Boston and they weren't able to get up and down the stairs anymore.

In the 90's I started seeing more 2-story plans; I think because the cost of land started soaring.
We switched to tji's from 2xs, because they spanned farther, you could cut out for wires without losing integrity and they were cheaper to put up(labor).
However, I believe they are about 20% more expensive than 2xs
JTT

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 03:19 pm
@panzade,
Of course, silly me, no basements, slab on grade, right?
panzade

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:44 pm
@JTT,
right, but then...I forgot that where you're at; most houses have basements and floor joists
0 Replies

Intrepid

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:17 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

There is a second set of marks on a tape....most people are not even aware of....they are small black triangles....located at every 19.2 inches....{19" 3/16th}...this is one of those things that we use to test a guys knowledge, when he claims to have 20 odd years experience in all areas of construction....but has hands that look like a 10yr old girls.

The primary use {for those of us in the field} for the black triangles {on a tape measure} is a simple thing, but yet on the other hand it is a very important mathmatical ratio that is used in building nearly everything.

Very good point 2Packs. I must admit that I have never really looked at the triangles before. Now that you have brought it forward I feel kinda foolish not noticing or paying attention to them.

I understand the "golden rectangle" proportional measurements, and now I can add this information as well.
JTT

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:01 am
@Intrepid,
My tape, a Stanley MaxSteel 26', doesn't have them. I'll have a peek at my other tapes later.
roger

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:07 am
@JTT,
Mine neither. My Stanley English/metric has the 16" diamond, though. Also diamonds at 40cm. Is that metric stud spacing, or something different.
JTT

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:21 am
@roger,
Quote:
Also diamonds at 40cm. Is that metric stud spacing, or something different.

I would suspect, Roger.

40cm/2.54 = 15.748"

0 Replies

2PacksAday

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:50 am
@Intrepid,
I figured you might like that little tid-bit....but no need to feel foolish, I have met guys that were lifetime construction workers, that had never noticed them either....they prob had, but just forgot....as it is one of those things that is often seen....asked about, and whether answered or not {usually not}....forgotten.

And the knowledge...or lack thereof, of the mysterious diamonds, alone, is in no way an indicator of a persons handiness/construction skills....it is only one of many things that can be asked to measure a persons building savvy. I once had a guy, that claimed 15 yrs exp...and to talk to him, he really sounded like he knew his stuff....but it only took me a few min to figure out that he had little to no skills....rookie mistakes right off the bat. Turns out that his son...he was an older man....had been a tile setter {an apprentice} for a few years, and he had picked up on quite a few catch phrases that tile setters use.....one being..."When in doubt, grout"...so his "skills" were achieved vicariously through his sons conversations over dinner.

-----------------

I checked four of my tapes today....the two yellow Stanleys had triangles, the Kobalt had little hearts {cute huh, perhaps a play on diamonds, clubs, spades...} and a junker that I bought for my mom....JAP brand, had actual diamonds. I also checked with a carpenter that I ran into....he had a massive 35 footer, Stanley....it had triangles....and my brothers, an older silver case stanley...had diamonds. I also checked my big 100'....it has nothing on it....but those are usually pretty plain to start with. I have more, and will check them if I can find them.

I don't ever remember seeing the dots on a masons rule, which is what I use eh...half the time....cause well, I'm a mason....and we really wouldn't need anything like that...unless somebody hires me to do some repair work on a pyramid.

The carpenter I talked to today, knew they had something to do with bar joists/flat roof decking layouts...and that's the only thing that comes to mind where I have seen them used....besides the new engineered floor trusses...but you guys have mentioned those already. I've asked a few framers about using the dots to get "the" perfect roof angle, but each time that has resulted in an argument....."Oh yeah, well you just bring your buddy Pythagoras over here and I'll show him how to build a roof."

I also asked my sister in law, if she knew what the diamonds were for....she had no idea, and she has worked with my brother, for well over 20 years....I didn't have a chance to ask him, but I kinda doubt he knows either, since he is mainly a marble guy.
panzade

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:07 am
@2PacksAday,
http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/74488.jpg

see that black dimple just to the right of the Estwing symbol?....anybody guess what that's for ?
JTT

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:15 am
@panzade,
To hang your hammer up on a nail???
0 Replies

George

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:23 am
@panzade,
Quote:
see that black dimple just to the right of the Estwing symbol?....anybody guess what that's for ?

Umm . . . "Hold this end"?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:30 am
@panzade,
Hmmm....I smell a joke coming.
George

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 11:44 am
@2PacksAday,
Sorry. I'm always that way after eating fresh fruit.
0 Replies

Wilso

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Are you the type of person that can fix most things?

No. Considering I'm a tradesman, I'm pathetic with my hands. I've installed quite a few ceiling fans for friends. When asked, I always reply in the same way. "You attach the fan to the ceiling, and I'll happily do the wiring. Leave the attachment to me, and it's just as likely to come down and take your head off."
Intrepid

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:01 pm
@Wilso,
It is a wise man who knows his limitations.
edgarblythe

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:12 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

- Clint Eastwood

Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:51 pm
I'm replacing the refrigerant pump on my HVAC as the start capacitor has likely shorted and it's a hermetic unit.

I'll be adjusting valve clearance on my 2004 Honda VFR, to do so it uses bucket/shims.

I changed out the differential and transmission fluids to synthetic recently on my 2002 Mazda Miata.

I tired of residential construction chores a long time ago but I still like mechanical, audio, computer, electronic, automotive......
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 03:54 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

I must be very wise, as there's not much that I feel confident in tackling! Laughing

I'm just about finished painting my basement laundryroom (& etc). Next, I going to be putting some stick-down tiles on over the old stuff that's on the floor.

It should look like a big improvement when it's all done.

So, has anyone been busy with little projects around their home lately?
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 4 Oct, 2009 03:59 pm
started painting the old aluminum siding

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_1555.jpg

right side new beige colour, left side original white