Are you a handyperson?

JTT

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I've always used 16" o.c., or whatever is called for by code. Studs are usually S4S but not always. I've measured them from time to time over the years and they've varied, even with the S4S types.

S4S simply means surfaced four sides and it has nothing specifically to do with the finished dimension. That dimension is close to 1.5" x 3.5" but it can vary depending on the moisture content of the wood and that depends on whether it has been kiln dried or air dried and how it has been stored after either of those processes.
2PacksAday

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:06 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

This is based on 16 inches on centre. Your 34 should read 32. Anyhow the following is the reasoning.

To layout the 16 inch spacing on the wall studs, place the first mark at 15-1/4" and mark an X to the right of it. Do the same thing for 31-1/4", 47-1/4" and so forth.

Why not mark on the actual 16" on centres? The reason is that since the thickness of a 2x 4 is 1-1/2", half the thickness of that is (1-1/2" -3/4"=3/4"). The 16 inch spacing minus 3/4" =15-1/4". The same rule applies to all the spacings: 32"-3/4"=31-1/4" 48"-3/4"=47-1/4" 64"- 3/4"=63-1/4" etc,

There is a second set of marks on a tape....most people are not even aware of....they are small black triangles....located at every 19.2 inches....{19" 3/16th}...this is one of those things that we use to test a guys knowledge, when he claims to have 20 odd years experience in all areas of construction....but has hands that look like a 10yr old girls.

The primary use {for those of us in the field} for the black triangles {on a tape measure} is a simple thing, but yet on the other hand it is a very important mathmatical ratio that is used in building nearly everything.
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:08 pm
@JTT,
Geez. Go something like 3/4 inch in to the corner stud (or more, as I've been acquainted with 1 3/4 inch studs or somewhat less, and then move along. Not from the outside edge - where are you going to nail that edge near the corner, in the air? But all this should be plain, as the studs were set first.
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:13 pm
@JTT,
This is not news to me, it was indeed was part of my point, but I'm more used to wood in coastal california lumberyards at 1 + 3/4 than 1 +1/2, but usually in between.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:15 pm
@2PacksAday,
You set at nineteen?
JTT

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
For house framing the walls are framed to accept the outside sheathing/plywood [4x8's], Osso. That leaves the inside framing, measured from the inside corner out of whack but for large sheets of drywall, 10's and 12', that wasn't as big a deal, waste being part of the game.

Nowadays, it makes even less of a difference because often the butt joints on a sheet are joined between studs with a 6" wide by 4 foot long piece of OSB. The usual square joint on the ends of the sheet, normally a harder taping job due to the lack of a beveled edge, is now wetted down and a rolled bevel is put along the butt joint, making it easier to tape and finish.
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Even in my godforsaken fukolo garage, it's just about sixteen. In my bathroom, more like 32. (Whine).

Well, hey, I'm from earthquakeville.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:23 pm
@2PacksAday,
Were those recently added for the TJI's/BCI's, 2PaD or have they been a long time fixture on tapes in your neck of the woods?
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:26 pm
@JTT,
Not where I've lived.

I could be wrong, ok, ok. But I won't submit easily. Yes, I'm aware of 4 x 8's. (xst.)
2PacksAday

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:26 pm
@JTT,
Long time.
JTT

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Not where I've lived.

What aspect of "not where I've lived", Osso?

I'm not suggesting you're wrong about anything. Any carpenter worth his salt isn't wedded to "only one way" to do something.
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:44 pm
@JTT,
Well, I spent a lot of years in california trying to comply with city and county specs re our projects, and never mind all that, listened to my bro in law who was a flagger/inspector at varied earthquake sites and in major towers and involved with major building complexes as inspector for the city of LA. So I'm **** careful when I spec this stuff, or was, as I'm at the edge of retired, ok, ok, retired. I'm still licensed but won't renew.

The building I see here in Albuquerque is a kind of bad joke for anyone residing in a lot of California. Well, never mind the building, no one here seems to get drainage. Oh, or urban planning. Consider me grumpy.

I'm amused that 2packs tapes are marked for plus sixteen. Or think I am. Are those tapes based on localities?
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:48 pm
@2PacksAday,
Framed for 30 years and never once saw anybody use those arcane diamonds. The only layout that matters for roof sheathing is 2 foot on center. As long as you stagger the sheets, alles gut.
2PacksAday

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:48 pm
@panzade,
As far as I know Osso, all tapes are marked that way....have been since I was a small boy....I don't think Stanley or Lufkin or anybody makes regional tapes.....most people either overlook them, of just think some paint has come off the tape. {You guys think I've got a damn stick that I've marked by making chew marks in the bark don't cha.....heh...I got rid of that thing years ago.}

Arcane is very accurate....you may not have used them, or ever seen them used, but you knew what they were....I've only seen them used a few times, and that was in commercial construction. A speed square can be used for a great number of things, but most guys only use them to mark a square cut.

Then of course there is the deeper meaning behind the triangles...the golden ratio...which is one the coolest things there is.
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm
@2PacksAday,
so, you use 19" plus in commercial construction? I can see that is true, but never re my specs. How do you deal with cities on that?
ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Frowning, I've not measured commercial any time lately. So, I'll figure you folks are right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:41 pm
@panzade,
Yeh, none of us looked at the diamonds.

Well, they may be looking now, I'm a few years out of it. I'll call my bro in law, re what's ok in LA, I'm due to call him anyway. No, I'm not a tattler, indeed he may be fine with the nineteen + stuff, but in any case, he's heard of it.
0 Replies

panzade

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:04 am
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
{You guys think I've got a damn stick that I've marked by making chew marks in the bark don't cha.....heh...I got rid of that thing years ago.}

I had to chuckle 2pack(it's rare that I get to talk construction on a2k).

I was supervising on a 10 story condo beachside one time. We were getting ready for kitchen cabinet installation on the first floor and I checked the over-fridge cabinet; it was an inch too low. I told the subcontractor and he raced up to the 6th floor where they were framing the soffit(or "bulkhead")on which the cabinets would be hung.

When I got up there he was yelling at an old-timer "I don't care what your "story-pole" (stick-with-chew-marks)says...the cabinets are too low".

"Gimme that thing" . And the sub broke the stick over his knee and threw the pieces out the window.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:17 am
@panzade,
Quote:
The only layout that matters for roof sheathing is 2 foot on center. As long as you stagger the sheets, alles gut.

Unless you're doin' a hip. Smile

Panzade and 2Pack, did you ever frame with BCI's/TGI's ? Don't they sometimes use a 19.2"OC spacing or am I mistaken? Works okay for 8 foot sheets of ply but half sheets fall on the open.
panzade

Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:57 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Unless you're doin' a hip. Smile

Got me!http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1511/25530444.gif

Quote:
Don't they sometimes use a 19.2"OC spacing

Yes, in their span tables they use 19.2 OC but I believe it's only for 5/8 OSB 4x8 sheets(Oriented Strand Board), a lousy pressed board product that has been outlawed for roof and floor sheathing down here in S Florida.

Everyone uses 3/4 ply for flooring(glued and nailed) so there is no need to deviate from the 24 inch OC layout.

Besides when you shrink the layout on floor trusses , you get the HVAC guy up your tail.