Michael Jackson jokes

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:07 am
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

You really think that makes it acceptable for people to call their children ridiculous names?
Then you truly are biased, and God help you if you can't see it...

U DO understand that definitions of "ridiculous names"
will vary according to unpredictable subjective considerations, right ?

Maybe u want birth certificates to be limited as to eligible names
(the way Hitler confined the Jews qua their choices of names) ?

Everyone is biased.
That means that everyone has his own preferences.

I infer that u object to that.
aidan

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:30 am
@aperson,
Quote:
You really think that makes it acceptable for people to call their children ridiculous names? Then you truly are biased, and God help you if you can't see it...

Biased against what? Freedom of expression? That's what this is, and how is that any different than the freedom of expression you're exercising when you refuse to conform to or ignore traditional gender roles?

People will always have an opinion and a comment to make. I named my son Joseph and three out of four people who heard what I named him after he was born had some negative comment to make like: 'Couldn't you have tried a little harder to find something a little less common to call him?'
I'm not kidding!

David's right - if the kid doesn't like it- he can call himself something else. My brother's name is Eddie (a derivative of my father's name). He never liked that -so he calls himself Jim- and so does everyone else who has ever met him and is not a member of our family- and that started when he was about ten years old.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:56 am

I know a guy named Joe, who wants everyone to call him "Duke".

0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 06:01 am
Right, the Hitler card has been played, guilt by association, always a sign of weak argumentation.

Anyway, while I do find humour at the expense of the dead, be they celebrities or the anonymous victims of disasters, tasteless, but at the same time I find some of those jokes quite funny. This type of jokes is a psychological defence mechanism. We fear sudden death and by laughing at it we channel the fear. It is only human to wish to ridicule the sources of our fears.

And talking of Hitler, the Nazi-leadership was much feared during WWII and at the same time the butt of countless, often very crude, jokes; ridicule what your fear.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 04:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Maybe u want birth certificates to be limited as to eligible names
(the way Hitler confined the Jews qua their choices of names) ?

Godwin'S Law!!
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 06:09 pm
@aidan,
[Facepalms]

Dave and aidan, you really are getting a bit defensive and irrational here people. I don't think I'm even going to, or can, argue with you. Like someone's sig (is it Farmerman? I can't remember) says, you can't reason with someone whose beliefs aren't intially arrived at by reason. Here's an idea: the parents call their child a normal name, and then if the child doesn't like the name, he can change it when he's older to something more unusual, and express his freedom on his own name.

I know it's difficult to take this from the person who you are arguing against, but I urge you to take a step back and try to look at this situation rationally. From what I have seen elsewhere on a2k, you are both quite intelligent people, so I know you are capable of seeing this from a neutral perspective.
wertyiu102

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 06:45 pm
This is sad. You know, some people make some of this up, or twistthe story around. Michael Jackson was a good man. He cared for children. He slept in the same bed with a kid. Wow. He handed over the money, instead of bringing those children in court to protest, because that would be stupid. Him, kissing a childs belly button was considered child molest? ANd he died of heart failure, to put it in simpler terms. R.I.P. Michael Jackson, FArrah FAwcett, and Billy Mayes.
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 06:46 pm
Why did Christians kill Jews? I read somewhere that Jesus himself was a Jew.
wertyiu102

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 06:52 pm
someone said that michael jackson died at 3:15, but he died at 2:26
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 07:19 pm
@wertyiu102,
wertyiu102 wrote:

Why did Christians kill Jews? I read somewhere that Jesus himself was a Jew.

What are you on about??
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:29 pm
@aperson,
What is/are facepalms?

I'm not at all defensive about this - in my opinion anyone can name their child anything they want.
Should they maybe think of what the impact might be on that child - yes - but who's to say they didn't or don't -even if they pick a name you or I don't like. Maybe they really did think, 'I'd really have loved to have been named Blanket myself- it makes me feel so warm and cuddly and I want my child to feel the same way,' or 'When I think of Paris, I think of eternity and light - I'm bestowing those gifts upon my child with this name.'
I mean - I would name my kid Aanisah or Paris before I'd name her Harriet or Mildred (which are both considered to be more 'normal' names).
Quote:

Like someone's sig (is it Farmerman? I can't remember) says, you can't reason with someone whose beliefs aren't intially arrived at by reason.

Well, that doesn't appeal to me, because that's assuming there's only one acceptable reason or version of reason. Everyone arrives at whatever belief they arrive at for a reason. It may not be your reason or my reason or anyone else's reason - but it's still a reason.
I don't believe in any indisputable generic one-size-fits-all carved in stone reason (except when it comes to mathematics).

I am totally neutral on this- I just know that I can't tell anyone else what to believe is normal or pretty. They have their own ideas about that. And unless someone is just a sadist - they really are naming their child what they find to be beautiful or meaningful to them- no matter how it might sound to anyone else.

aperson

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:12 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

Like someone's sig (is it Farmerman? I can't remember) says, you can't reason with someone whose beliefs aren't intially arrived at by reason.

Well, that doesn't appeal to me, because that's assuming there's only one acceptable reason or version of reason. Everyone arrives at whatever belief they arrive at for a reason. It may not be your reason or my reason or anyone else's reason - but it's still a reason.

You do not know how huge a facepalm I just inflicted upon myself.
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:08 pm
@aperson,
Not related to this thread but I thought you might like it:
http://raoworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/double-facepalm.jpg
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 10:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
**** michael jackson, yeah i fuckign said it.

jesus christ, are we worshipping perverts here?
aidan

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 12:51 am
@aperson,

Quote:

You do not know how huge a facepalm I just inflicted upon myself.

I hope you enjoyed it.
aidan

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 12:59 am
@aidan,
Aren't you some sort of student of philosophy or something? And you mean to tell me that as a student of a philosophy you've determined there's only one acceptable version of 'reason' that can or has been determined to be acceptable for everyone in all situations?

If so, I find that mighty interesting.

The professors of philosophy for this generation must be undergoing a change as profound as that which is occuring to traditional gender roles.

Or maybe people can no longer make any sort of determination or recognize anything - even what does and does not constitute having an 'open mind'.
DArtagnan007

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 05:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
When Micheal Jackson was being taken out of his mansion, camera men caught a couple of children sitting on ice blocks.

I guess Micheal Jackson likes to have a couple of cold ones at the end of the day.

---

Sources close to the family say Michael Jackson died with his pants around his ankles watching Sesame Street.

---

McDonald’s just released the new Mc Jackson Commemorative Happy Meal

Several children have already choked on the plastic toy.

Jamie , United Kingdom what a perv we have gary Glitter USA had Whacko
0 Replies

DArtagnan007

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 05:23 am
When Micheal Jackson was being taken out of his mansion, camera men caught a couple of children sitting on ice blocks.

I guess Micheal Jackson likes to have a couple of cold ones at the end of the day.

---

Sources close to the family say Michael Jackson died with his pants around his ankles watching Sesame Street.

---

McDonald’s just released the new Mc Jackson Commemorative Happy Meal

Several children have already choked on the plastic toy.
0 Replies

ArtiP

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:40 pm
@aperson,
Hope someone makes jokes like this about you when you are dead! You have no respect as you show none! Shame on you!
hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:52 pm
@ArtiP,
Quote:
You have no respect as you show none!

Nice logic - you show no sense of humour so you have none?

And I'd be quite happy for people to make jokes about me when I die - I won't care, I'll be dead.

If you want to troll around looking for things to be offended by why not go to an abbattoir, a neo nazi picnic or a nudist colony? Leave us to wallow in our juvenile mire.