Could you please tell me the right way to say "tv series"?

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:40 pm
First of all, I am not so sure if this is the right word... I've been studying English for 6 years and two weeks ago I realized that I don't know how to say "a movie with many episodes"... Like One Tree Hill or Baywatch, or... Two and a half men...
I've heard people saying "a tv series" but if this is right, shouldn't it be without this "a"... I mean because "series" is in plural?
I know that it's kind of a stupid question but I have to know that, it's part of my everyday-english speaking skills...

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:48 pm
@strawberry pie,
Not a stupid question at all; it's how you learn.

It is called a TV series or a television series. Baywatch, etc. are seen on television sets (and not movie screens, not usually) and the series part of it means it's a more or less continuing story. These are usually not perfect continuing stories that just pick up where the last one left off, although they can be.

The word series is singular; I don't know much about the origin of the word; it does look funny with the s at the end and then it turns out to be singular.

PS You write (and I bet you speak) far better English than a lot of people. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:54 pm
@jespah,
I agree with Jespah. Strawberry Pie, in my reading of your posts I had not guessed that english is not your first language. Even when you said it was your sixth, I thought you were joking.
Welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
Strawberry Pie, you day "a" series because the several episodes make up a single series, and series is a singular noun.

There are also what are known as "mini-series," which is to say, a series of episodes intended to tell a single tale, and then end. Ideally, a series such as "Baywatch" will continue indefinitely. A "mini-series" will end when the tale is told. So, for example, the Home Box Office network (HBO) made a "mini-series" about Rome in the time of Julius Caesar, and called it "Rome." It was over when the story was told, and there was no intention to continue it past the telling of the tale.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:01 pm
TV series such as Baywatch are more appropriately called "piece of ****". Such as, "are you watching this piece of ****?" or "is there anything on besides this piece of ****?" In this case it remains singular "piece" instead of "pieces" because it refers to each individual episode.
strawberry pie

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 01:26 am
@NickFun,
Thanks,Nick, that was very kind of you Very Happy Absolutely logical.
By the way, I agree about Baywatch. I just gave it as an example because I thought that it was popular...
Anyway, thanks to everyone of you, who answered my question.
And many thanks for the compliments about my English Smile
Although it looks pretty good when ossobuco said that he thought English was my sixth language, that's not true. Smile
You've probably misunderstood me. Unfortunately, I speak only four languages and English is my second :] It is my best [written and spoken] foreign language for now.
But, anyway, I hope you won't be disappointed by this fact.
P.S.-I decided to sign up here two days ago and I think that this is a great place.
Since my FCE exam was last Saturday, I thought that It's time for me to practice my English in a... "native forum" Very Happy
P.S.2-I'm sorry for answering so late but we are in different time zones. It's 10:30 in Bulgaria now...
To be honest, I'm a bit lazy to learn ALL those phrasal verbs. But I guess posting here will help me improve my written Eng.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 01:40 am
@strawberry pie,
How can you go wrong with the ever helpful NickFun.

Osso, that was sglas that learned English as a sixth language.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:41 am
Psst strawberry -- ossobucco is a lady. Smile
strawberry pie

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:43 am
@jespah,
I'm really sorry... Sad
I hope she won't be offended..
I sometimes make such kind of mistakes.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:46 am
Don't worry about it, SP, people make those kind of mistakes quite often, and no one who is being reasonable will take offense. Your English is excellent, and not just because you are not a native speaker. You express yourself in English better than many people here who are native speakers.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:47 am
@strawberry pie,
I'm sure she'll be fine with it -- it's not obvious from her user name (or mine, for that matter), that we're women. Smile
strawberry pie

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 09:57 am
@jespah,
Yes, that is the kind of mistake I often make... So, hello lady Jespah Very Happy It is very nice to meet you. Actually, it's very nice to meet all of you.
My name is Plamena. I know that it sounds a bit strange to you but it's a typical name in my country. Well, OK it' s not typical but.. anyway...
My friends call me Plamy [pronounced "plami"] but you can call me Pamela if you want. I don't mind that. Smile
jespah

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:37 am
@strawberry pie,
What an interesting name you have (I take it you are also a lady). My real name is close to Jespah; it's Janet. Smile
strawberry pie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:06 am
@jespah,
Hi, Janet.
I guess my name it's interesting for a non-Bulgarian lady. And yes, I'm a lady, too.
But I can't help saying that Nick's explanation about Baywatch was reaaaly ... educational... Very Happy

By the way, I was wondering if any of you is interested in one of my topics. Go to my profile and see what I've posted. I'd be glad to answer all your questions. Smile
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:07 am
@strawberry pie,
Don't pay much attention to Nick . . . he's not house-broken yet.
strawberry pie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:12 am
@Setanta,
Hey, Setanta, glad to see somebody who is awake here... if the forum's clock is right, it should be round 7 o'clock in the USA? [It's 4 pm here]
I just hate these time zones because you usually answer my questions when I'm sleeping Very Happy Then, you go to sleep and it's my turn to post Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:23 am
@strawberry pie,
I'm not sure how the clock here works, and i believe (although i don't know for a fact) that you can set the time for your own purposes. It is about 20 minutes past 9:00 a.m. where i am, in the eastern time zone. The time stamp on your post shows 8:12 a.m., which suggests that the site is running with the central time zone (one hour west of where i am). I don't know for sure, though, it's all a mystery to me.

I usually get up between 4:30 and 6:00 a.m., so it's not really that early for me. Now, however, i have to take the little doggies for a walk, the temperature is supposed to reach 30 degrees today, and i want them to get their exercise before it gets too hot.
dadpad

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:30 am
..and just to muddy the waters... its 11.30 Pm on wed 24 June here and freezing cold.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:32 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

temperature is supposed to reach 30 degrees today, and i want them to get their exercise before it gets too hot.

splutter!!! OMG thats soooo hot. (lol)
jespah

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:34 am
@dadpad,
Silly people, it's cold here. Smile

Setanta, you can change your time zone in your settings.
0 Replies