Could you please tell me the right way to say "tv series"?

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
@dadpad,
I'm not trying to claim any macho endurance for heat . . . 30 degrees is plenty hot for little doggies, who wear fur coats all year round . . . i'll keep this in mind next December when the Ozians tell us about the heat . . .
strawberry pie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:37 am
@Setanta,
In summer, It's usually around 40-45 degrees...
But it's global warming's fault, I guess... Very Happy I bet your dogs are the cutest on the planet! Smile
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:10 pm
Setanta said, "Ideally, a series such as "Baywatch" will continue indefinitely."

Who woulda guessed he was such a Pam Anderson fan?
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
In fact, i've never seen an episode of that program. I was simply pointing out that a series, as opposed to a "mini-series," is intended to run indefinitely.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:07 pm
@strawberry pie,
Well, for obvious reason, i think our doggies are pretty damned cute. My avatar picture is a picture of the little doggie girl. I'm more comfortable in using fahrenheit temperatures, i used the centigrade equivalent because i thought you would understand that more easily. In fahrenheit, the equivalent of 30 degrees centigrade is 86 degrees--and that's hot enough to be bad for the health of little doggies wearing their fur coats. A temperature of 40 to 45 degrees centigrade would be over 100 degrees fahrenheit, and that's pretty damned hot by anyone's standard. (The conversion is actually rather simple--divide the centigrade temperature by 5, multiply by 9 and add 32 degrees; so, 45 centigrade is 9x9+32, which equals 113 degrees fahrenheit. Are you sure about that ? ! ? ! ? That's what Americans would call a "scorcher.")
jespah

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:43 pm
@Setanta,
That's what I'd call passed out and taken to the Emergency Room.

I say that but it's chilly here right now. 62 F which is (let's do the math) something like 17.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:10 pm
@jespah,
Wow . . . 62 would be welcome here . . . OK, let's do the math. 62-32=30 degrees, divided by 9=3 1/3, times 5=15 5/3, or 16 2/3 degrees centigrade. Good math in your head there, Darlin' . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:19 pm
@jespah,
Ossobuco, not ossobucco, dadgummit. I think of ossobucco as the insistent german take on it (bares teeth while grinning). Also often cited as Osso Buco, though not by me.

Oh, and yes, I'm a woman. To check out people, Strawberry (I've still not memorized your real name), click on the user name at the top of any post.

I'm Jo, in real life.
strawberry pie

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Nice to meet you, Jo! Smile I'm Plamena, but... seems like Strawberry or PS is the better alternative of my name... Very Happy

Setanta, I'm serious, in the summer in Bulgaria it's like hell... Sometimes I think I'm going to freak out! It's so damn hot and I there are a lot of people dying from the heat... It's really bad, but as I said, it's global warming' s fault...
Anyway, 8-9 years ago the weather was pretty normal during the summer but now... 102F is a typical temperature for a day in August.
By the way, many thanks for the explanation about Fahrenheit... I've never really got that... We use "Degrees Celsius " here so... I'm not used to your way of saying the temperature. Smile
NickFun

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:55 pm
@strawberry pie,
I once lives in Arizona where the temperature reached 120 in the summertime. I am now in Souther California where it rarely goes over 90 and promptly cools down at night.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:04 am
@strawberry pie,
The math formula for converting between centigrade and fahrenheit is really rather simple. Centigrade, freezing is zero and boiling is 100. On the fahrenheit scale, freezing is 32 degrees, and boiling is 212 degrees. So to convert from F to C, you subtract 32 from the F temperature, divide by 9 and multiply by 5. To covert in the other direction, you divide by 5, multiply by 9 and add 32. So, for example, 0 divided by 5 is 0, times 9 is 0, plus 32 is 32 degrees--the freezing point of water in the fahrenheit scale. For the boiling point of water, 100 divided by 5 is 20, time 9 is 180, plus 32 is 212--the boiling point of water in the fahrenheit scale.

So, for your example of 102 degrees F, that's 102-32=70, divided by 9=7 and 7/9, times 5=38 and 8/9, or 39 degrees--as close as makes no difference.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:03 am
To add to what Setanta wrote, at -40, Farenheit and Celsius are the same.

I hope I never see that on a thermometer, ever, but it's an interesting bit of trivia.
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:05 am
That's also the temperature at which windshield washer fluid craps out . . . coincidence? . . . i think not . . .
jespah

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:20 am
@Setanta,
Hmmm
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:27 am
@jespah,
Quote:
I hope I never see that on a thermometer, ever, but it's an interesting bit of trivia.

You really, really don't know what you're missing, Jespah. I guarantee you that you have felt colder at much warmer temps that you could very well feel at minus 40. This is not to say, of course, that one cannot feel cold at -40 C or F.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:29 am
These days I'm cold at 60 above, Farenheit. I think at 40 below you'd be able to make an ice sculpture out of me.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:32 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Setanta said, "Ideally, a series such as "Baywatch" will continue indefinitely."

Who woulda guessed he was such a Pam Anderson fan?

thanks for the good <snort>

I'm definitely going to remember this.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:40 am
@jespah,
Me too sometimes and yet I've been smokin' hot at -40, in shirt sleeves.

-40 with sunshine and no wind can feel really quite warm.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:11 am
@strawberry pie,
English isn't entirely logical. Sometimes there are words that sound like a plural but are grammatically treated as a singular anyway. "Series" is one of them. Other examples would be "data" or "United States".

As to whether your topics are appreciated -- they are. Don't worry about it, you're fine.
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:23 am
@Thomas,
All investigations have been completed, and it has been determined by all of the United States that they think data are plural, and datum ain't.