Could you please tell me the right way to say "tv series"?

Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Heretic!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:50 am
So . . . that means you would burn me, if you could catch me?

I ain't no Jan Hus . . . i ain'ta gonna come to your bar-b-que just sos you can make me the main course . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
All investigations have been completed, and it has been determined by all of the United States that they think data are plural, and datum ain't.

The self-same people who determined, or at least perpetuated, any number of myths about language. These same myths that lead confused second language learners to think that language isn't logical.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:37 pm
As Thomas said, strawberry, your topics are fine--just don't be surprised if we go off on tangents you didn't expect, as I am about to: "the United States" were plural for quite awhile after we were founded--it was only after a century or so, maybe after the Civil War, that we consistently became a singular noun with a singular verb
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:38 pm
The United States are not amused.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:47 pm
fuddyduddies. I is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:49 pm
You be . . . we ben't . . .
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:53 pm
And here's another tangent, anent the C versus F discussion--one of my favorite factoids, albeit one not particularly useful in everyday life, even everyday winter life, is the 30-30-30 rule they supposedly teach you as soon as you reach Antarctica--if you ever do: if you go outside in your shirtsleeves at 30 below zero (degrees F, because Americans formulated the rule), in a 30 mile an hour wind (again because Americans formulated it--who cares about kilometers?), you've got 30 seconds to move around before you get so cold you can't move and start to turn into an icicle.
McTag

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:56 pm

Thomas is right, as he sometimes is. How about "trivia"?

"...a bit of trivia.." (above) is quite an odd phrase when you think about it.

A piece of ephemera? Works quite well.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:58 pm
Well, yeah, I just metricized that and it comes out as, roughly, "the 35-50-30 rule" in metric, and that's nowhere as mnemonically good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
Wait a minnit . . . 30 below F ain't 30 below C . . .
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:01 pm
"trivia" is apparently sort of pseudo-Latin. Wouldn't a "piece of trivia" be a "trivium"?
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:02 pm
And 30 miles an hour is 48 kilometers an hour . . . no wonder you don't know who the United States is . . . uhm, are . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
I thought that was what you used to put a hot saucepan on the table . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
Clearly a situation where one doesn't mind a wee bit of bullshit given that the end result could be so calamitous.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:10 pm
almost, set, you put a panus calientus on a trivium atop the tabulum.

I was computing following the English penchant for rounding numbers off to multiples of 5 or 10 (like 30-30-30). clearly you're more concerned with precision than I am (tho I doubt they stood around with a stopwatch and poked their test subject with a stick every couple seconds to see when they turned to ice,when they were formulating the rule. Tho who knows, they do get a little weird down there in midwinter, from all 've heard, so maybe they did).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
"trivia" is apparently sort of pseudo-Latin. Wouldn't a "piece of trivia" be a "trivium"?

No, 'trivia' is not pseudo-Latin, MJ, it's an English word. Languages borrow words, not spellings [necessarily], not pronunciation [necessarily], not the same meaning [necessarily] as that of the Mother tongue. Latin was Latin and English is English. Each has its own set of rules.
George

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:27 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Latin was Latin

Latin IS Latin.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:33 pm
@George,
I beg to differ, George. And we've had this chat before. I'll state my case, of which I'm not certain and leave it at that, unless you wish to raise further points.

There is no way, IMO, for people who study a language that is not native to them to be able to say with absolute certainty that this is how the language was used for there are no tapes for us to hear.

Your serve.

roger

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:44 pm
@Setanta,
. . . but 40 below F is 40 below C.