Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 11:43 am
You guys done yet with your clever exercise in one-upmanship? Can we get back to the subject at hand now?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 11:45 am
@Merry Andrew,

What guns do you own and what guns have you purchased since Obama was elected?
roger

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 11:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Roger could easily have put it all to rest by responding with the explanation you allege accounts for his remarks.

No need for me to get on the defensive because of an attack by a fanatic. You read what you expected to see, not what was there. If I could edit any of my contributions on this thread, I would not. They say exactly what I intended. You may misinterpret them as you feel you must; exactly as you might any explanations I might provide.
FatBastard

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 11:58 am
I have feasted on A2K enough to fill my fat belly with knowledge.

One thing I've noticed: There are a lot of borderline geniuses visiting the site. They are all giving away at least 40 IQ points to Craven....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:01 pm
@H2O MAN,
I don't know that it's any of your business, but -- why not tell you?

Hanguns I own:
.44 magnum revolver, 8-inch barrel
.38 S&W snub-nose revolver
.22 revolver, nine-shot cylinder

Long guns:
Only rifle at the moment is a .22 cal. semi-automatic carbine w/a 30-round banana clip. Looks and operates just like the old Army-issue A1 carabine.

'Gauges:
20 gauge single-shot
16 gauge side-by-side double-barreled

Incidentally, at the moment they are all in storage on the mainland. I have no need for a firearm here on Hawaii except for a little Daisy-type air rifle I keep around to scare off the wild turkey that comes around to scrounge bird-seed put out for the doves and Kalij pheasants.

I have purchased no new weapons since Obama was elected. Why would I? The NRA (of which I am a member) is far too powerful a lobby for me to worry about anyone taking away my "rights." As long as my permits to carry on the mainland are in order, I shall fear no evil.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:09 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I don't know that it's any of your business, but -- why not tell you?

What better way to get back on topic Very Happy

BTW, nice collection.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:21 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Does anybody do any skeet shooting or any other kind of shotgun sports in Hawaii?
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:27 pm
@gungasnake,
Oh yeah. There are even some hunting preserves, fenced-in areas of rain forest where deer and such are bred to be slaughtered by "sportsmen." But no one goes around armed the way they do in rural areas of the mainland. Permits to carry concealed are devilishly hard to get; you really have to show a legitimate need. Permits to keep a long gun in the house are easier but you still need a permit to buy anything that goes bang-bang here.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:34 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Oh yeah . . . and you're the red-blooded, all-American hero who's gonna take out the FBI and the ATF with your pathetic little assault rifle . . . dream on, loser . . .

Actually, if you piss off the pumpkin army, you're in deep doodoo.

wha?? they come and toilet paper your house?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:39 pm
@roger,
Actually, i'm not a fanatic, and my posting history here shows it. I consider that you have a serious blind spot when the issue comes to gun control. Several years ago, i made a remark about gun nuts, and you immediately took offense, and asked if i were referring to you. As it happened, i wasn't, but i told you it was definitely a case of if the shoe fits . . .

The issue of gun control is so divisive, and the power of the NRA is so great, that it is ludicrous to suggest for a moment that Mr. Obama has any influence, any control no matter how limited one might allege it to be, over members of Congress on this issue. No member of Congress is going to vote for a gun control measure, or against a gun control measure, knowing that his or her constituency holds the opposite opinion. No member of Congress is going to foolishly attract the negative attention of the NRA on such a measure, knowing that organization to wield great influence in his or her constituency.

To have said that there is a certain perception of the Obama administration, which y0u considered justified, was at the least intellectually irresponsible, if not actually evidence of an irrational attitude on your part toward gun control. I'm not fanatic on this issue. I've stated many times that i'm not opposed to gun ownership, nor am i opposed to gun control legislation. I have repeatedly stated that i think it would be a good thing if handguns were banned, but that i'm not fool enough to think that that will ever happen. It is my estimation that you are far more of a fanatic on this issue than am i. That being said, i don't consider you to be very much of a fanatic. If you wish to portray me as a fanatic, help yourself. I've greatly enjoyed heaping sarcasm on your silly statement, and am willing to do so again, if it comes up again.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:42 pm

This thread makes me want to go out and find a great deal on another M14 Mr. Green
Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You can see the sarcasm of my response to you, and yet deny that any sarcasm was involved in my response to Roger. I'm not going to play your game about a donation to a literacy charity, because if i tell you what i thought, you'll just continue this drivel about what you apparently consider you "know" about what i understood, and what i meant.

Essentially, you are asking me to say that i failed to understand him because i lack the ability to comprehend what i read. That is utterly false. I've had run-ins with Roger on gun control before, and as you can see, he seems to think i'm a fanatic on the issue, but doesn't consider himself to be a fanatic. Why should i cut him any slack in such an exchange, when i already know that he entertains a hostile attitude toward me on this topic?

Roger's remark about the perception of the Obama administration was unjust and dishonest. I apologize for nothing which i wrote in response to it, and if he takes offense, good for him.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:47 pm

Or maybe another Glock 21 Mr. Green
maporsche

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:54 pm
@Setanta,
I'm stocking up on G & A simply because I think Obama and Congress will be pushing for higher taxes to be imposed on shooting sports. I think that this will happen because 1) our country needs the money, and 2) Obama and likely the majority of the House (senate maybe not) would support such measures.

Buy the G & A now, before a) higher taxes are imposed or b) stricter GC measures are imposed.

If neither of those things come to pass, what have you really lost?
Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
@maporsche,
Since i don't actually have a dog in the fight--given that i am not a fanatic, nor derive any income from the sale of firearms or ammunition--i obviously neither gain nor lose anything.

But you are wrong about Mr. Obama. This is an issue in which members of Congress pay absolutely no attention to the President. This issue is so emotional and so divisive, that you can bet your bottom dollar that every member of Congress consults, and only consults, the wishes of the constituency, and the probability of a successful attack campaign from the NRA.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 01:31 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
Permits to keep a long gun in the house are easier but you still need a permit to buy anything that goes bang-bang here. ..

You'd think when they became a state they agreed to live under United States laws and our constitution.....
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 06:41 pm

Just another reason to arm and protect yourself...

http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/060209_convertingislam2.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 06:48 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Quote:

This thread makes me want to go out and find a great deal on another M14 Mr. Green

Every home in America
shoud have at least 3 H & K MP5s: the Rolls Royce of submachineguns

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 06:50 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Quote:
Or maybe another Glock 21 Mr. Green

I don' t trust automatics; revolvers r more reliable
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 07:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I don' t trust automatics; revolvers r more reliable

38 police special. my dad swore by 'em. carried one all through wwII.