Is it rude to stare and listen to conversations?

chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:17 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
MagicBlackCat wrote:

OMG what a beautiful black kitty cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's staring at Set.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:23 pm
"QUIET ZONE. PEOPLE AT WORK". And make it BIG.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/howto-free-and-huge-custom-poster-for-your-wall/
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:28 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
Nice - I like your thinking.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:38 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yeh, a sign crossed my mind too.
mm25075

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd be sorely tempted to yell out something completely off base....

Like...... "Hey how about those Giants????" during baseball season and see what sort of attention you get. Then you could say something like "Now that I have your attention, can you keep the noise down? Thanks."
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@mm25075,
heh heh.'

The serious thing is though (and sometimes not so bad) is I often hear things I shouldn't. I overheard one person discussing a direct report's inappropriate behavior (kinda ironic heh). Why people discuss things loudly in right in front of you and stuff that should be confidential.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 04:57 pm
@Linkat,

i had this problem a while back (see Noisy Office thread http://able2know.org/topic/43577-1 ).

work is tough enough.
no one needs that kind of added stress.

i work in a small dept that used to share a floor with a big, noisy group.
i complained to my supervisor, and within a few months we moved to another floor.

i've been here long enough that people who sit nearby now tend to follow my example and "keep it down to a roar", as it were...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 07:14 pm
@MagicBlackCat,
MagicBlackCat wrote:

OMG what a beautiful black kitty cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you need that for your avatar. Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:44 pm
I was thinking of a sign, too, so I'm glad someone mentioned it. It's wearying to tell different people the same darn thing and a sign would do the trick. And they wouldn't even have to know who put it up, unless it's obvious, of course.

I'd probably have said something by now, like "Hey guys, I'm trying to work here. Your conversations, while full of juicy tidbits, are really distracting. Could you move down the hall a ways?"

Let us know what you do. Or what works.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:57 pm
I think that it is not only not rude to listen to conversations as Linkat described the situation, but the group should be advised that she isn't intentionally eavesdropping but can't help but listen to the conversation and if they don't want their conversation heard, they should take it elsewhere. That is usually sufficient for most people to take the hint. If that doesn't work, stage a telephone conversation each time they show up and tell them you're having a hard time hearing and could they please move down the row a bit? That is usually also sufficient for most people to take the hint.

If that doesn't work, there's always the bullhorn backup.
Mame

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 10:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
That is not very direct, Foxfyre. What's wrong with just saying, "Please be quiet, I'm trying to work."?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:26 pm
@Mame,
Nothing wrong with that Mame but I prefer a more humane approach first especially when the people probably don't realize that they're being rude. And its not wise to be too assertive with one's superiors if they happen to be in the group too. (Superior as in having more authority......of course.) I don't see any percentage in making enemies when a more subtle and less confrontive approach will work just as well.
0 Replies

arricalee

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:16 am
@Linkat,
Hmmm, I don't like people to stare at me. So, if you must, don't stare DIRECTLY. You can listen to their convo but don't make it so obvious. You can look at them but turn away quickly after a few seconds. =]
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 02:18 am
Say nothing, but take names. Take a coffeebreak or something later, and go drink it in their office, while they are working.
They'll probably ask you to leave, but the next time they meander past, or into, your cubicle, smile sweetly and point at your coffee cup.

roger

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 02:47 am
@najmelliw,
That might be too subtle, but I kind of like it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 03:25 am
@Linkat,
The word you wanted was refrain, and i wasn't being snide, neither was i having a bad day. I'm definitely not your "dear."

It does not matter what the context is, it is rude to stare (it's the sort of thing one can expect from domestic animals and ill-bred people) and it is rude to eavesdrop. It is also disingenuous to ask such a question when starting a thread when it was not the question to which you wanted an answer.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:49 am
@Linkat,
I tend to agree with Setanta on this one. Yes, it is rude and if you don't give a damn, why ask the question.

Why not try the obvious. Bring the situation to the attention of your superiors and request a move to a different location. On the other hand, maybe there is reason that they have put you in the current location.
parados

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 07:12 am
@Linkat,
Why don't you call your broker when they are talking and yell at him to "SELL ALL MY STOCK IN THIS COMPANY". "NO, SELL IT NOW BEFORE THIS IS PUBLIC!!!" "ON SECOND THOUGHT, I WANT TO SHORT 10,000 SHARES AS WELL!!!"

Hang up and tell the people talking, "Thanks, you just made me a lot of money."
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 08:03 am
Selling short takes a little while to make you money. She should take her short position, wait a few days, and then pull the gag to make the share value drop.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:40 am
@Foxfyre,
I was actually on a conference call before and I had to put the call on hold, go over to the conference room that is just feet from my desk and ask them to please close the door - they had the door open and were extremely loud - so I could hear on the phone.

I've done a variety of these things, but since there are so many different people walking through, using the conference, etc. It is always another group so thus the repetive annoyance factor. If it was one or two groups, it wouldn't be so bad as I could speak with them and ask them to keep it down. But I have to repeatedly do us now.

And there are bad and good days. Today not so bad, but then again I have had a slew of meetings myself so I haven't been at my desk.

And I like my job (well at least I need my job in this market) and don't really want to do anything that we be a CLM.
0 Replies