Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:49 am

i work for a fairly large engineering firm in bahstin.
i like my job.
i just can't stand the people around me.

i've been here 4 years, which is an eternity here due to their high turnover of people.
about 2 years ago, a new department was formed, and they were placed on my floor.
they came over as a group from another company.

the head of the group, who we call "sir laffalot", immediately set the tone for the rest of the group.
that man not only laughs, but REALLY laughs at any lame joke that comes his way.
i swear sometimes he sounds like he's about to hurl.
the entire group has become one big yuck-fest.

some of you may recall my "furball" and "the thumper" post from last year.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=538245&highlight=thumper#538245
well, they're still on the other side of the partition, and they still have they're annoying idiosynchrosies.

at this point you're prolly thinking "ya, but what about YOUR annoying idiosynchrosies, Region!"
my answer to you would be that i'm very mindful and respectful of the people around me, even the ones who annoy me...

comraderie is important when you're working as a team on a bunch of similar projects.
but they go way too far.
the administrative assistant is this 24 year old 'woman' with the mental age of a 12 year old.
she's the worst.
besides incredibly loud laughter, her main contributions to the din are "oh my GAWD!" and "SHUT-up!"
she's botched a couple of assignments, and i think the only reason she's still here is bcos of her large breasts.

my utopian image of an office is everybody works quietly at their desk.
if a discussion on a project is needed, it is done quietly -- preferrably in a closed conference room...
but the reality is i work in my very own personal hell.

when my boss returns from his business trip, its time to see if he can move me to another floor.
i'll take my chances.
i don't think i can take another full day of this ****...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,329 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:52 am
I feel your pain....I work in a shared office building which has a lot of turnover. We had a sales group across the hall. Every morning, about 50 people would pack into the office and proceed to "pump up" for the days sales. They chanted. They laughed. They cheered. They talked...loudly. They had a gong. What? Yes. They had a gong. And used it. Nothing like working quietly at your computer and then BONG!!!!!! I anxiously waited every day until 9 when they all left for the day but the first hour, work did not get done.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
God that's awful! Can you listen to music with earphones? I like it because at least I get to choose what I'm listening to.

I now have an office with a door Shocked but no windows Rolling Eyes but unfortunately there's also no ventilation so with the door closed, it gets airless pretty fast. I brought a fan, but it's loud and my papers tend to blow around, so it doesn't get used much.

My main problems are people who stand in the hall talking and the break room nearby with a TV which seems to always get turned up too loud. I turn it down a few times a day! But at lunch time, there are actually people watching so I just have to deal. Hence, the music.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
I used to wear earplugs sometimes when I was trying to get a project out in a room full of laughsalots.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm
I was going to suggest the ear plugs too.
Or, from now on , randomly pop up from your desk ( assuming your head can be seen when you are standing ) and start yelling odd things at inanimate objects.

Then start crawling around the floor looking for your ' little blue happy pills' :-)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:39 pm

thanx for the replies.
it felt really good to write that up...

mac11, shewolfnm & ossobuco -- the headphones are on almost constantly.
i should own stock in the AA battery company by now... but at times i really have to crank the volume to drown 'em out...

Kristie -- a gong!
what the hell were they selling that they needed a pep rally?

sometimes when the noise is nearby, i'll stand up and vacantly stare at the gum-flappers.
very often this unnerves them, and the shin-dig quickly dissolves...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:05 pm

update...
before i left i spoke to the building manager about finding me a quiet, out of the way spot on another floor.
he said he wasn't sure, but that he thought something could be worked out.
will talk to my boss first thing in the morning...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:14 pm
I talked to my manager about the noise where I sat. Twice. The first time I got moved to a desk in the IT department which was fabulous. Then we moved to a new building and I got a noisy spot again. I fussed again, and I'm back in a quieter spot. Not as good as being in the IT department, but it's doable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:24 pm
'Tis very very hard to size irrigation pipe in a hurry with a lot of jokes going by......

I sometimes left and came back and worked later in the evening. It went faster, and my shoulders unclenched.

Of course, this is not good in the long run. And the laughers didn't get much done.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:25 pm
Ah, I am not all so much against laughing at work, in fact I loved it a lot of the time. But for short spans...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:43 pm

there's a time and a place.
the young'ns on the floor haven't learnt this yet.

chocolate is largely to blame.
people often bring in a box, and leave it on thumper's desk.
he invites 'brittany' ("oh my GAWD -- u know how much i LUVVVVV chocolate") over, and they have their sugar fix.
they get louder & louder with every piece consumed, until it sounds like sunday afternoon at a sports bar...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:52 am

trial period...
they won't let me move to another floor -- has something to do with how much building real estate each dept owns...

so my boss said he'd talk to Sir Laffallot to get them to keep it down; after 10 days if its still bad, they'll see about moving the noisy brats an aisle away.
not thrilled about it, but i'll go along with it... for now.

meanwhile, time to get my resume up-to-date Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
Oy.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:10 am

my sentiments exactly, osso!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
What a pain!

Feel free to vent to us if it helps...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:19 am
Am I reading correctly:

They will not move you. They would rather move a sub-department?

Do you have a diary recording distracting decible levels?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:54 pm

the building is divvied up, in some fashion, by dept.
so the dept i'm in only has so many square feet of real estate on the floor to work with.

the only way i could be moved is if i were to move to another dept.
this isn't a good option now bcos i'm working on a cluster of projects that we're scheduled to complete over the next 5 years...

its quite possible that the gum-flappers will be long gone way before the 5 years is up... over the years i've found that the troublesome people tend to leave on their own soon after they become problematic...

nope, no diary Smile
i'm not the only one on the floor who's bothered by it, but i am the first to complain in this fashion...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:00 pm
Re: trial period...
Region Philbis wrote:
...meanwhile, time to get my resume
up-to-date Mad

If you do, let me know what you are looking for.
There may be some reqs opening up here.
(Be a lousy commute, tho. We're one exit south of Lowell.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
Just stopping by with sympathy... sounds awful.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:15 pm
Not just headphones, get noise cancelling headphones. They really work.
0 Replies