Is it rude to stare and listen to conversations?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:59 pm
I work in cube land. And we recently moved where I unfortunately sit outside a conference room and right near a door which makes my spot a major thorough way.

For some reason people think it this then makes sense to stand right in front of my cube and have deep loud conversations. Along with as they walk by in groups chatting loudly. And often times when a group is waiting for the conference room they will gather by my space and right in my cube and talk or hang out.

I've begun to put down my work when this happens and just stare at them and listen. Is this rude? Well I don't give a damn.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 6,561 • Replies: 96
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:49 pm
@Linkat,
I don't think it's rude, but it's also not rude to tell them to move on or pipe down if that's what you really want.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:59 pm
are any of these people also the heavy walkers?
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:01 pm
@engineer,
Then I'd be doing it all day. It wouldn't be so bad, but it happens so frequently.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:03 pm
@chai2,
Nope - the two are not related - heavy walkers and non-heavy walkers are guilty.

Actually to the comment above, I've had to tell people in the conference room to please close the door. As often times, they will have loud meetings/conference calls and leave the door open.

Isn't just common sense that you do not stand in someone's cube while they are working and have a loud conversation?

Also often times these are high level people. Not just some supposed moron type low life type. Those I just say shut the h*ll up!
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:05 pm
@chai2,
You know what you can do?

Keep an airhorn in your desk, and when people gather just casually take it out and give it a little toot.

Before you know it, they'll move away as soon as they see you turn toward your drawer.

http://www.baitnhook.net/ProductImages/fishaccess/airhorn.jpg
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Isn't just common sense that you do not stand in someone's cube while they are working and have a loud conversation?

Also often times these are high level people. Not just some supposed moron type low life type. Those I just say shut the h*ll up!

one would think so.

however, some higher level people feel they don't need to pay attention to such pedestrian things.

if they don't like the airhorn, tell them you have tourettes, and blowing it is the only thing that gets rid of the urge for you to scream "#*%#(#$%"!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:16 pm
Yes, it's rude. If you don't give a damn, why are you asking?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:26 pm
1. Go to your neighborhood CVS and get some of those foamy earplugs, which cost 2 bucks for a dozen, or something like that. When people hang out in your cube, very obviously reach into your drawer, pull the package out, and put them in your ears, while glancing occasionally at the talkers, to make it obvious to them what's going on.

2. Shift the blame: "I'm sorry, but my boss REALLY wants me to get this done today, and I find it hard to concentrate with people talking in my cube. Could you maybe move down the hall a bit? I know she'd appreciate it/"
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:35 pm
@chai2,
Great idea - kinda like that Pavloc dog or whatever the heck his name was.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:36 pm
@Setanta,
Are you having a bad day, dear.

If you can't contribute something positive like Chai's blow horn idea, then please reframe from making your snide remarks.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, it's rude. If you don't give a damn, why are you asking?

http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/images/black-cat.jpg
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:38 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yeah - just leave it up to you to give me a reasonable way of handling it - when I rather be obnoxious - but I do have to give you kudos - you gave me both not knowing whether I was a reasonable person or not.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:50 pm
@Linkat,
I guess I would.. upon reflection.. talk at a quiet time with whomever is the top dog conferencer about the distraction, not in my well known snappish way, but nicely, nicely.

I used to deal with this somewhat, in that seven of us worked in one big room, and pretty much got along over time. Sometimes there was a lot of laughter from one part of the room when another person or two was trying to get out of work before midnight, stressing on a rush project with complications. Like me, project manager for some thickets. I used to go over and explain (sometimes) or just call out, hey, pipe down a bit. Usually the more senior of those cackling away could relate to the need for quiet, and help to tampen the volume down.
This is all tricky, as I like to talk and laugh as much as anyone else. It's really a matter of sensitizing the less tuned in re projects going on in the room. Work breaks and laughter can be a good thing, too.

Anyway, that wasn't a routine. What would drive me nuts about linkat's situation is the repetition of it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually that pipe down thing - I used to do this alot where I used to sit (we moved in the last couple of months). The guy who sat on the other side, frequently would "forget" about those around him and would slam things when he got angry - so I would say "hey, keep it down." We knew each other well so he would then give a sheepish "oops sorry." But there was "fun" in both tones and you had such a relationship where you could do those things.

Your idea does make sense, but it isn't one or two typical people. It is many - not the same individuals or groups of individuals. And all levels. And throughout the day so it is very distracting. I would have to be constantly (that may be extreme), but several times a day telling several groups of people to please keep it down.

I thought of bringing it up to my VP, someone that should have even authority, but she is the type that just wouldn't deal with it and then complain to someone that I am a complainer (believe me I've been on the receiving end of hearing her). Then I thought of going to her boss - who would be more sympathic about it, but then if it got back to the VP she would be upset I went over her head (and believe me I've been on the receiving end on a conversation like that as well).

It just seems so stupid to me how you could not notice that some one is right there working?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:03 pm
Another thought: get an iPod. Very obviously put it on when they talk--sometimes passive agressive is the way to go. And it actually does give you the added benefit of no longer hearing them.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:13 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yeah - I've thought of just plugging in my head phones to the computer and keeping music on, but that is just too easy and too reasonable.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:15 pm
So be blatant about it. Stare at them. Sigh heavily. Exaggerate the motion of plugging in the 'phones. Go to y0ur local computer store and get one of those USB things that has lights that dance in time to the music. Put it on top of your cubicle wall where they stand. Aggravate the hell out of them. Quietly. Seriously, be passive agressive about it.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:15 pm
@chai2,
OMG what a beautiful black kitty cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:17 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat, could you create a sign of some sort and hold it up so that they can see it?

I'd print off that air horn can picture and hold that up. That could be enough for them to get the hint and either be quiet or move on. Smile