The Threat To America That Is Barack Hussein Obama

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:01 am
@ossobuco,
To explain, I bought- as usual - a used bookstore book about a place in Sicily that was a fattoria/restaurant and figured out it was some sort of twelve-places-in-italy site (I don't know about twelve, some number like that). Around the same time, I found a soup bowl from that place at the Salvation Army in Santa Monica. I was keen on it but managed to break it over some years. It turns out that book is worth a lot. Which is near annoying, since using the book denigrates it.

Eh, the odd book can accrue in value.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 03:55 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

...No, I wouldn't pick the L de'Medici book first - but that's from a cooking pov. ...

yeah, definitely, i can use the help. ms. dtom's skills are just mad, but she's not that into italian. being the cook, i mean. she knows that's the first riff i learned, and puts up with the........tomato ingredients. i still haven't been able to get her to eat one that isn't all shmussed up. if it's red, round and plump, she just runs in the other direction.

as far as collectibles ? naw, i've been told i can't drag any more "cool stuff" home, anymore. Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 03:57 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Eh, the odd book can accrue in value.

one man's trash...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:02 pm
yay! we figured out one more thing to make with what was left of that ginormous ham...

ham salad!!! got a magic bullet mini food processor??

cube up some ham, throw it in, pulse it a little till it looks the way you want it to. toss it in a bowl with some minced brown onion, a little miracle whip or mayo. sweet relish is good. season with what turns ya on, fresh ground black pepper, salt (if needed. this ham was salty enough, so we didn't need the extra sodium.), cumin might be interesting.

i really, really hate wasting food, so i am extremely happy to look at the counter and see nothing but a bone left of that darned ham!
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:27 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
we used to take ham bones and crack em and put em in bait bags to bait a hook to catch WOLF FISH, ugly mothers but quite delicious. We havent gone fishing for them since I got bit pretty smart in the leg
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

...WOLF FISH, ugly mothers...

mfg! no kidding! i'd never heard of them before, so i looked it up on the google..

http://www.subtraction.com/pics/0406/040603_wolf_fish.jpg

ychh! it looks like the monster that popped out of the big cassarole in the first "Elvira, mistress of the dark" movie.

http://www.tangibledreams.net/elvira/media/stills/motd0378.jpg

you won't mind if i pass on this... ummm. delicacy??
sozobe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:24 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
farmerman wrote:
since I got bit pretty smart in the leg

http://www.subtraction.com/pics/0406/040603_wolf_fish.jpg

OW.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 03:23 pm
i gotta figure that a wolf fish is a lot worse than a dog fish.

except for our second corgi, maybe.. i got scars, baby!
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 08:19 pm
i just came back from fresh & easy.

ms. dtom has prepared some deviled ham rollups for us.

i like ham. really i do. but i don't think i could even look at another one until thanksgiving !!!! Shocked

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 08:51 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
[quote="DontTreadOnMe"
[/quote]

What? You have corgis?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:36 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

donttreadonme wrote:

What? You have corgis?

not at present. our current fuzzy is one of those really scary pit/shepard mixes; what a big mushy dog.

but we've had 2 pems, so far. the first, miss b., was an exceedingly wonderful fluffy. our last, fiona, was of a more traditional build and temperament. both were adopted. unfortunately, while miss b was quite happy go lucky, fiona was not happy unless she was the center of attention. at one point, she was one of three dogs and two cats. she didn't bother the cats, but she kept attacking the other dogs. we tried everything, including a drug that they used on mental patients in the 1910's. no joy.

after a string of doggie emergency room bills, etc., we had to let her go; and found her a new home through the corgi rescue where she would be in the spotlight all the time. from what we heard initially, it was a very good match. i miss her. she really helped my wife. we adopted her only a month and days after our first girl passed.

it's funny, because ms. dtom is kind of afraid of big dogs. so it was a little scary for her when i brought annie the pit home. but, like with our other critters, she soon went into mama mode.

i've decided, though, when the inevitable comes around again, if i can, i'm going to get the mizzuz another corgi. they're pretty amusing and make my sweetie laff. so i guess i'll have to get my dude fix playing my old Humble Pie records real loud and crushing beer cans on my forehead.

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:37 am
i'm considering doing a chicken cassoulet for this week's experiment. or maybe a beef bourgoyne.

i'm feelin' a little "oh la" this week. who's got a Gauloises ?

i like both, but i've never made either one before. any hints ?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:53 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
My corgi, who died (two years ago already?) was a treasure, still a treasure in memory, also a rescue corgi from the humane society. But - I've sympathy for just about all dogs. Had a three legged pit mix as a neighbor in Venice, and he was also a big mushy. His owner could be fierce though (kidding, a good neighbor, a big tattooed art director.)
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:56 am
@ossobuco,
What happened to tying this into the thread to America of BHO? He didn't save a dog. He did like millions of Americans who end up with a dog from friends or relatives' litters and that threatens the security of our country.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:58 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
Hmm, I've only made a real cassoulet once, and remember it as somehow a lot of work, not sure why. It shouldn't be.

Hmm, maybe both a cassoulet and a beef b., one and then the other another week - they're different enough.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:05 am
@ossobuco,
Glight, we've unleashed the tangents...

Two recently saved cassoulet recipes -
http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/winters-last-gasp/
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/03/meat-lite-moderately-meaty-cassoulet-recipe.html
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:07 am
@Lightwizard,
That dog is going to be a threat to someone by its manners if they don't train ... no, not the dog, who has a trainer, but the owners...
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I've never used duck in any of my cassoulet dishes. I have used lamb quite often but I always include one of the specialty chicken sausages that are in all the supermarkets, one with artichokes. I like the second recipe of the two just 'cause it's healthier but I've been knows to pile on the meats once-in-a-while.
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, they do have to train it to bark at and bite any terrorists who venture forth onto the White House proper. Like Rush Limbaugh (well, maybe not -- even that size dog would have a time getting his teeth around those legs).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:51 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
but I've been knows to pile on the meats once-in-a-while.

Is that a Prop 8 joke LW?
0 Replies