The Threat To America That Is Barack Hussein Obama

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:06 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
You played there? (Neato)

on the piece on Shelly - they still don't give the street. I googled quite a bit, and nada. "He ran the club at its original Hollywood location from 1960 to ’72, booking Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, and other major artists."

on jazz, I liked a lot of kinds of latin jazz, mostly. I guess I still do, listen to it less now.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:34 pm
i admit my taste in jazz is pretty (gulp..) traditional.

ya know who i really like listening to a lot? django reinhardt. wow. that dude was mind blowing. if you have hbo/showtime/tmc or whatever, keep an eye out. once in a while they show a doc titled "djangomania". this guy goes to places like japan and eastern europe talking to these people who are into a virtual cult of django. a couple of them go so far as to tape up a couple of fingers to better emulate his style.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:04 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Ok, I'll listen, I used to hear him on the radio..

I was minding my own business a few minutes ago, reading Slate, and what do I see but an article called The Recipe Detectives. It's even more useful re books than that last article -
http://www.slate.com/id/2219280/
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:11 pm
oh yeah, asian food is an area i totally need to work on.

have you ever heard a record titled "arbor zena" by keith jarrett?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Also, on rereading the thread fast, I see I was a little harsh re Lorenza di Medici and her books on Italy. She did run Badia a Cuoltibuono, a vineyard, cooking school, etc, near Radda in Chianti - which is part of Tuscany, and I think she knows a lot re Tuscan food history/recipes. I was speaking more from my own view of liking cookbooks I can get all spotted with drips of this and that, sort of workaday books. I'll look at my bookshelf later re any favorites I still have after moving and culling.

http://www.coltibuono.com/index.asp?lingua=_L2

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I was Jarrett nutso back in the day, but overplayed whatever the set of records was, and finally gave the album package away to my brother in law..
It's been a long time since I've heard him, though, so I'll see if I can find some of that on youtube (I'm money pinching, no cd/dvd buying for moi.)
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:20 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
my own view of liking cookbooks I can get all spotted with drips of this and that, sort of workaday books.

hah! sounds like ms. dtom's books. most of them are up for a purple heart.

my stuff's even worse. i write the receipes down on scraps of paper, which are all held together with one of those clamps with a magnet for sticking on the side of the fridge. it got lost once...

panic.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:22 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I was Jarrett nutso back in the day, but overplayed whatever the set of records was, and finally gave the album package away to my brother in law..
It's been a long time since I've heard him, though, so I'll see if I can find some of that on youtube (I'm money pinching, no cd/dvd buying for moi.)

it is mesmerizing. sounds like you had the Koln Concerts.. impressive. and arduous listening.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:24 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yes, that was it...

On the Badia a Cuoltibuono cooking courses, I didn't even look at the cost, I'm already sure it's significant.
http://www.coltibuono.com/pagebase.asp?s=18&s2=61
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 09:09 pm
forgot to ask what ya did with the frijoles de la anasazi ?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 09:18 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
Nothing yet, until I get to the market..
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Nothing yet, until I get to the market..

well, lemme know how they turn out.

bean nice chatting w/ you. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I'm just back from the market/butcher shop..
where, believe it or not, the four of us got into a conversation -
the cashier, who I know from previous conversations, the guy behind me in line who piped up, and the woman behind him... all of us going on, first about italian food (me and the cashier, and then the guy behind me, who segued into food in Bahrain after talking about italian, with me mentioning Claudia Roden, and he saying she is one of his favorite food authors, and the woman behind getting into it about middle eastern food..)

Anyway, I bought some fresh linguisa (sic) to go with the beans, will post what I end up doing.

I'm enjoying the talk too.

And, hell, Obama is doing his Middle Eastern Thing.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

And, hell, Obama is doing his Middle Eastern Thing.

wonder if claudia roden is in the entourage?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:43 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Is that a veiled allusion?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:47 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Is that a veiled allusion?

well... just trying to make sure everything is covered.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Anyway, the cool thing, or one of them, about that trip to Kellers, was that the spontaneous conversation was with the clerk/artist (guessing 30-35?), me (65 ish), the guy behind me, (45?), the woman behind him (55?), all of us in trouble at regular grocery stores which are pretty sans diversity in products for anyone who cooks and explores.

I swear I'm never going to buy pasta at Albertson's again, when I can get Maestri Pasta (bucatini, foglie di carciofi) at Kellers (new, apparently, in the last month).

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:20 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
...Maestri Pasta ....

i'll have to look for that brand. maybe whole foods?

i usually go for the bertolini when doing the nice stuff. but for the "general business" pasta, the stuff at trader joe's is okay.

speaking of bucatini and/or buscati, here's another one i want to try out, pasticio (sic). we were at our friend's house for a pot luck last year; a greek friend of theirs brought some. it was amazing. never considered some of the spices used in connection with beef before. and the creme fresh on top??? wow.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:42 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
All of these are pretty inaccessible to me (I'm up for eye surgery soon and in the meantime watch my driving) - TJ's and WholeFoods and the international market, Talin .. they are all way across town, I dunno, bunch of miles - I'll guess twelve?

Apparently Albuquerque is divided forevermore into sections for retailers, so that on our side (the west) of the Rio Grande river, the population is taken to only want the occasional or more beer and many fast food places. Sort of an assessment followed by decree followed by reality situation. I'll summarize my opinions to say just that this is shortsighted.

So, we are lucky sons of a gun to have Keller's have an offshoot store fairly nearby.

But - I dunno the inventory at Whole Foodies/TJs.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 08:00 pm
that's okay. i can walk in easy enough. we have a big whole foods, but i've never bothered before. now i have an excuse.

are you getting lazic surgery?