The Threat To America That Is Barack Hussein Obama

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:39 am
@farmerman,
There's a lot of passion about the old dead horse in your country I note.

Shocked
Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:45 am
The way to REAL change is through the condiment aisle. And calling French fries "Freedom Fries." The GOP is in terrific shape.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:59 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

There's a lot of passion about the old dead horse in your country I note.

Shocked

i don't know about horses, but i'm pretty passionate about having a little fun theses days.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:02 am
@dlowan,
Pourquoi pas?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:21 am
In America, they came first for the mayonnaise, and I didn’t speak up because I did not eat mayonnaise;
And then they came for the catsup, and I didn’t speak up because I did not eat catsup;
And then they came for the mustard, and I didn’t speak up because I did not eat mustard;
And then... they came for me... And by that time there were no condiments left to speak up for me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:39 am
America's addiction to Ketchup isn't the tomatoes, it's the high fructose corn syrup, then more corn syrup, then some vinegar, salt and onion powder (depending on the brand -- that's Heinz, the thickest). Why are Americans getting Space Shuttle size rear ends and Hindenburg (a nod to spicy mustard) size mid-drifts? KETCHUP!

I'm with farmerman on this one -- the corn syrup does make it stick to the top of the meat loaf and sweetens the shrimp, crab or lobster sauce. However, I overpower the corn syrup with restaurant TNT horse radish -- enough to blow your sinuses to the moon. Not to mention the Tobasco.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:13 am
@Lightwizard,
There are a coupla tomato based condims that use sugar instead of HFCS. Weve quit buying anything with HFCS listed in as an ingredient And , I gotta say, ITS DAMN HARD finding anything.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:19 am
@farmerman,
I haven't checked our local health food store, Mother's Market being the largest in Orange County besides Wild Oats and Whole Foods, but I suspect they do have ketchup with a healthier sweetener, but no cane sugar. Artificial sweeteners don't thicken and stick to meat if one is making a barbecue sauce. My dry barbecue rub is dark brown sugar based, but if I serve a sauce, it's molasses/tomato paste based with Splenda.

Now I wonder what barbecue Obama prefers? It can't be Texas.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:34 am
When i first lived in Ireland, i was mystified when people would refer to "sauce," because i didn't see any sauce around, although i did see ketchup (or as i prefer to say, cat soup). Then the nickel dropped, and i realized that they meant the ketchup, and i asked and was told "Yeah, tomato sauce, you know?"

Well, Americans don't call ketchup tomato sauce, because you can buy a different product which is called tomato sauce, and yet another product called tomato paste. Most Americans of whom i know use a combination of tomato sauce and tomato paste to make their spaghetti sauce. At home with my grandparents in days gone by, we made our own cat soup and our own tomato sauce, as well as canning whole, peeled, stewed tomatoes. The cat soup my grandmother made had cane sugar in it, but she also put vinegar in it, so it wasn't god-awful sweet. She put no sugar in the tomato sauce, and your own home grown tomatoes are sweet enough.

The rest of the English-speaking world is just goofy, and we should be courteous about it, and take no notice of their ignorance.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:53 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
I suspect they do have ketchup with a healthier sweetener, but no cane sugar.

If there has to be a sweetener in ketchup, cane sugar is one of the healthy alternatives. The one farmerman refers to, HFCS, is high fructose corn syrup. There have been a couple of threads at A2K about the HFCS controversy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The cat soup my grandmother made had cane sugar in it, but she also put vinegar in it, so it wasn't god-awful sweet.

That's the right way to make it; the acid enhances the flavor, and the sugar counteracts the tart flavor of the acid.

My grandmother did the same thing with spaghetti sauce. Best spaghetti sauce, ever.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:30 pm
@Setanta,
TOMATO SAUCE in pasta sauce???!!!!!!!

Ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomato PASTE I get, as a flavour intensifier.....

Once again, I ask...what is the difference between ketchup/catsup and tomato sauce in America?

Then The Sopranoes came along, and said "gravy" for the tomato-based pasta sauce...that took a bit of figuring out.

There IS, most certainly, a strong tomato sauce culture in Oz....or there used to be...perhaps it is now mainly for bogans?

We were a NON tomato sauce family, so I was unceasingly amazed at my best friend Mark's family food habits...they drenched nearly everything in tomato sauce! I think it was fairly sweet, so I suspect it was highly sugared...perhaps this makes it ketchip in US terms???? Dunno.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:36 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
TOMATO SAUCE in pasta sauce???!!!!!!!

Ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

When you say "TOMATO SAUCE", do you mean the stuff you put on hamburgers? French fries? (er... chips?) Hot dogs?

That's ketchup or catsup to those of us who live our lives right-side up.

Tomato sauce is boiled, chopped tomatoes with some spices.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:27 pm
And garlic, don't forget the garlic . . . lots and lots of garlic . . .
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:35 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, lots of garlic and don't forget the herbs -- oregano and lots of fresh basil shredded into the marinara at the end of the cooking. One of my Italian ancestry Aunts also used crushed fennel seeds and diced green pepper. I'm thinking Obama would like that which would make him and Italian Fascist.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:41 pm
@Lightwizard,
basill must have basil. Im actually crossing my tomatoes with BASIL.

(Actually I just made that up)
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:45 pm
Crushed caraway seeds are one of my favorites, too . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Aha!! Then tomato sauce belongs.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:37 pm
Confused about what we're discussing here: The US President, various types of mustard, or tomatoes and their sauces?
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:38 pm
OK, well, agreed on one point: Nothing is good without Garlic.