Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
I thought that kept away mosquitoes.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 11:07 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Agree with dtom on the terrificness of good canned whole tomatoes as a sauce ingredient.

ummm, yeah! i started making spaghetti sauce a couple of years ago. it's turned into a real production. Very Happy takes 2 days.

it simmers for about 4 or so hours on day 1. another 4 hours on day 2.

not to be snobby, there are others who make better homemade i reckon, but i can't even look at sauce out of a jar anymore. yyyccchhhhhh!

---

about the tomato paste, osso; right, on it's own it's a fairly disgusting sqwuige ( a new word?).

but what i use it for is to add some volume to spaghetti sauce (and chili too). by the time you've added puree, sauce, red wine; it's too soupy for me. so i just take one of the those little cans of paste, stir in maybe 1/2 the can. that usually does the trick. if i've been a little too liberal with the red wine, add more.

by the time you have simmered the hell out of the stuff and the flavors have really married ( after 2 days, they're married, got 2.3 children, a mortgage and are planning the silver anniversary), you'll forget that tomato paste was even in the same room.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 11:31 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
I'll try it sometime, dtom. At least I'll buy a can and stare at it.
My usual sauces are faster than yours, but still cooked down quite a long time - but the hazan bologese sauce is cooked at a mere bubble near forever, sometimes over two days if I start late. It doesn't have all that much tomato in it though.. more a velvety meat sauce. (Also, nah to jarred sauces.. I did buy some Bertolli once.)

Citronelle, yep. I only know about M. Richard from his LA years..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 11:53 am
Now how can I tie this to Obama? Well, I figure even his unlikely fan Berlusconi likes a good ragu..

Marcella Hazan's recipe here -
http://able2know.org/topic/109277-1#post-3012220

A modification of Marcella's sauce - the author happens to mention (shiver) tomato paste, among other items:
http://www.lastnightsdinner.net/2007/02/03/ragu-bolognese/
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 12:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Now how can I tie this to Obama? Well, I figure even his unlikely fan Berlusconi likes a good ragu..

at this point, i don't think that even matters anymore. the original idea of the thread was that fooly tooly talking head sean hannity consistantly comes up with the silliest stuff to rag on non-hannity style conservatism folks.

"eeewww. obama uses mustard only. french mustard" but in 2004, he was ragging on john kerry and his (former republican) wife, thereza heinz. we were supposed to not use heinz ketchup, back then. where do these knuckleheads come up with this crap?

so i decided that we need to have a little bit of fun around here. and when dlown asked about the difference between tomato sauce and ketchup/catsup, it sort of turned into it's own thing.

tomatos. who knew ? Laughing

but today, i'm considering making a big pot of ham and bean soup. after i get back from taking the wonder pup to the vet.

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 12:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Now I'm going to have to look at my Hazan cookbook to see if she uses tomato paste. That's actually where I originally got the Pomodoro sauce but obtained various recipes since including the one from the chef at The Daily Grill.

I think that tying food into Barack and his "threat" are now a given and we've established the connection to Italian cuisine. Now we would have to try to determine if he and Michelle did dine out at an Italian restaurant and whether or not he ordered a hamburger.
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 12:25 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
I think that tying food into Barack and his "threat" are now a given and we've established the connection to Islamic cuisine.

I agree completely . . . the guy's a terrorist.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 12:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I think that tying food into Barack and his "threat" are now a given and we've established the connection to Islamic cuisine.

and he likes arugula, to boot. more proof of elitist behavior. gggrrrrrr!!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 03:51 pm
@Setanta,
nononono, not a terrorist - he's a tourist

he's a tourist. that's why he went to Citronelle (French resto) after it started sliding down the Chowhound lists. tourists don't know the good joints
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 03:55 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:

do you think he could belong to Hummus ?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 12:13 pm
today's tomato massacre;

home made ham and bean soup (with a nod to campbell's bean & bacon via a little tomato for color).
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 03:55 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
So, what kind of beans?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 03:58 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Quote:

I've been giggling about this for 24 hours now
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 04:59 pm
@Lightwizard,
A famous night out for dinner by the first couple (post election I think, and pre inaugural) was to an italian place.. there are probably lurid photos at HuffPo archives.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

So, what kind of beans?

white navy, which i dutifully soaked over nite. i did the rest of it a little different this time.

before adding the beans, i sauteed the onion, garlic, and carrots in butter for about ten minutes. i normally never, ever use butter to saute anything but red wine mushrooms, but somehow it sounded yucky to do it in olive oil or veg oil. 1/2 tsp pepper, same of salt, a good dash of emeril's "bam".

and it worked just great! when the stuff looked happy, i dumped in 2 cups of cubed non-honeybaked ham, let it all hang out for a few minutes. then added a good slosh of chicken stock. more hanging out. finally, 1 pound of navy beans and 6 cups of water and 2 bay leaves.

one thing though; i told ms. dtom that i was going to make it sorta campbell's style with the tomato sauce and she wasn't into it.

so i used another receipe that called for a 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder. we are out, i call the missus. and she says;

"just throw a couple of squirts of dijon mustard in, it's the closest thing to the powder"....

of all things. oy, the irony. Laughing

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:01 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

and he likes arugula, to boot. more proof of elitist behavior. gggrrrrrr!!

Gee, we better not let it get out that arugula is also called "rocket"..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:03 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

I'm stealing that...
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

I'm stealing that...

Smile

0 Replies