Limbaugh is toast!

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:24 pm
Rush Limbaugh is toast, a victim of the War on Drugs, as tomorrow's news will show.

BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,269 • Replies: 83
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
I'm still trying to figure out why he was ever doing a sports broadcast to begin with. The only "sport" he's ever been involved with is the "run to the fridge for another salami sammich dash" and "running of the mouth".

Buh-Bye! <waves>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:29 pm
ratings went up 10% with the Rush onboard and that means $$$$
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:34 pm
Re: Limbaugh is toast!
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Rush Limbaugh is toast, a victim of the War on Drugs, as tomorrow's news will show.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Could you elaborate?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:35 pm
People obsessed with watching him self-destruct?? Surprised
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:49 pm
fealola
DRUDGE REPORT 10/1/03 PM

BLITZ ON RUSH LIMBAUGH TO INTENSIFY ON THURSDAY WITH CHARGES OF DRUG ABUSE...

AFTER DAY OF INTENSE MEDIA BASHING ON LIMBAUGH SPORTS QUOTES /// NATIONAL ENQUIRER TO ALLEGE IN BOMBSHELL REPORT: 'RUSH LIMBAUGH IN DRUG RING'... HOUSEKEEPER WORE WIRE IN SET-UP, SUPPLIED PAIN PILLS TO DEAF TALKSHOW HOST... ENQUIRER ALLEGES ABUSE OF TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PILLS...

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS SET TO SPLASH PAGE ONE THURSDAY, NEWSROOM SOURCES TELL DRUDGE.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:52 pm
Rush was involved with a football team in a non player position at one time, if I correctly recall. It has been about 12 yrs since I listened to him, so I can't elaborate. Anyway, his fans will not desert him over this. They will just view it as another politically correct ploy to silence him.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:54 pm
Um... the National Enquirer and the Drudge Report? Got any real news outlets on this story?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
For those who aren't famaliar with the story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/10/01/mcnabb.reax.ap/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/peter_king/09/30/mcnabb_limbaugh/index.html
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:19 pm
Racial slurs should not be tolerated even though they are protected by the First Amendment.

I believe that many of Rush's "ditto-heads" will be put off by his labeling of the football player. Surely Rush will at least get a formal reprimand by the network on which he appears.

Rush has tried to vomit his hatred before on TV in a syndicated talk show which he hosted. Viewers were put off by his behavior, and the show never took off.

Rush is one of the people most responsible for dividing the country along socio-economic boundaries. Even the Republican big-wigs who gush over Rush's daily radio show will find his remarks too hot to handle.

Yes, Rush is indeed toast.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:24 pm
These seem to be two different things, though... something about drugs, plus the racial comment. What's up with the drugs?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:33 pm
sozobe<

Rush's foul mouth must be a separate issue not related to drugs.

For more on the drug accusations, see www.drudgereport.com.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:35 pm
Yeah, that's what BBB linked to.

Ah well, will wait and see what hits the fan tomorrow.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 12:08 am
Limbaugh resigns from NFL show

http://msn.espn.go.com/gen/news/2003/1001/1628537.html

In the wake of his controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Rush Limbaugh has resigned from his position on ESPN's NFL pregame show. ESPN has accepted the resignation.

Limbaugh issued a statement late Wednesday night in which he wrote:

"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated. I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

"I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it.

"Therefore, I have decided to resign. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show and wish all the best to those who make it happen."

George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN and ABC Sports, issued the following response:

"We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this. We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

The comments referenced by Limbaugh came during Sunday's pregame show on ESPN when the conservative talk show host offered the opinion that McNabb wasn't as good as the media perceived him to be.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Negative reaction did not come immediately. But on Tuesday, McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."

From there, the firestorm spread quickly. Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and Rev. Al Sharpton called for ESPN to fire Limbaugh. Others in both political and athletic circles also lashed out at Limbaugh's comments.

The National Association of Black Journalists also called for ESPN to "separate itself" from Limbaugh.

""ESPN's credibility as a journalism entity is at stake," NABJ president Herbert Lowe said in a news release. "It needs to send a clear signal that the subjects of race and equal opportunity are taken seriously at its news outlets."

McNabb also provided more reaction on Wednesday.

"It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him," McNabb said. "It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me."

Limbaugh turned down requests to appear on SportsCenter on Wednesday. But earlier in the day on his syndicated radio talk show, he refused to back down.

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."

Wednesday night, ESPN issued a statement that, in part, read, "We have communicated to Mr. Limbaugh that his comments were insensitive and inappropriate."

Limbaugh's resignation was officially announced just before midnight ET.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 12:10 am
sozobe<

It's already hit the fan . . .Limbaugh has resigned from ESPN's "NFL Sunday Countdown,"according to www.msnbc.com.

I am sure Limbaugh will cast this entire debacle as a "liberal media" plot. He will play the martyr on his weekday radio show.

He is, in fact, no martyr. The African-American athletes who so long ago broke down racial barriers in professional sports are the real martyrs.

Limbaugh is a man who has outlived the righteousness of many of his views. He is still caught up in the 20th century. His resignation from ESPN was probably just a prelude to his being fired from the network. Rush took the easy way out. After all, his far-right daily commentaries have made him millions. I have no pity for this mouthpiece of the Republican party.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Joe Nation
Joe Nation, CNN and other news organizations have picked up the drug story and expanded on it. Apparently part of a large two-year investigation that caught and exposed Limbaugh.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 05:06 pm
Should allegations that Rush purchased prescription drugs illegally prove true, then Rush must be a drug addict.

Rather than treat him solely as a criminal, prosecutors should insist that an addiction rehab program be part of his sentence.

Many people, including me, believe that drug addiction is a disease that can be treated but not cured.

Here we have one of the most powerful media voices in America shown to be powerless over pain-killers. There are millions of people across the land who understand this predicament.

Finally, Rush's possible addiction illustrates what some of us have known for years: Rush is a sick man.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:33 am
Rush Limbaugh Picks Satan's Bellybutton Lint, Coos Softly
Rush Limbaugh Picks Satan's Bellybutton Lint, Coos Softly
Mark Morford

Conservative commentator and noted hunk of rancid satanic monkey-stroking bile Rush Limbaugh muttered that he resigned as an ESPN sports analyst to protect advertisers and network employees from the uproar over racist comments he made about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. Limbaugh stepped down from the sports network's "Sunday NFL Countdown" three days after saying on the show that McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed, and two days after his 235,887th piece of verbal and ideological proof to the universe as a whole that he should be strung up by his bitter shriveled racist homophobic testicles and slapped with large dead fish until he cries and begs to be kissed full on the mouth by a large gay black man named Ricky.

Next up, Ann Coulter gets hired to provide color commentary for Monday Night Football, bitches about the inability of her old rusty DeWalt Heavy Duty Random Orbit Palm Sander to give her painful bitter resentful hate-filled self-immolating orgasms anymore.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/a/2003/10/02/national1050EDT0549.DTL&nl=fix
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:44 pm
Bush Supports Limbaugh; drug story held for 2 years by press
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRI OCT 03, 2003 11:08:15 ET XXXXX

BUSH EXPRESSES SUPPORT OF LIMBAUGH; HOST TO RETURN TO AIRWAVES AT NOON; ENQUIRER HELD STORY FOR TWO YEARS

**Exclusive**

President Bush expressed support of radio star Rush Limbaugh in conversations with top staff on Thursday, a senior administration source told the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Rush is a great American," the president said of the beleaguered host, who has championed the conservative movement for decades. "I am confident he can overcome any obstacles he faces right now."

Limbaugh is to host his daily broadcast from New York City on Friday.

MORE

Meanwhile, the NATIONAL ENQUIRER is contemplating releasing on to the Internet audio tapes of Limbaugh made by his former housekeeper. The ENQUIRER carried allegations made by the housekeeper claiming Limbaugh bought prescription painkillers off the blackmarket.

The NATIONAL ENQUIRER held back reporting on Limbaugh for nearly two years, a publishing source tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

The tabloid's editors felt more confidence after police began an investigation.

Developing...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:48 pm
Already developed. The story broke in the mainstream news today. Rush is a pill-popping madman.
0 Replies