Guns: how much longer will it take ....

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 12:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong. You are making a false conclusion. One thing is the constitutionality of outlawing a gun that there is no justification for outlawing, another thing is the justification for outlawing pistol grips, barrel shrouds, and retractable stocks.

That they are two different things does not change the fact that:

IF it is unconstitutional to outlaw a gun that there is no justification for outlawing,
AND IF there is no justification for outlawing pistol grips, barrel shrouds, and retractable stocks,
THEN that means that laws against pistol grips, barrel shrouds, and retractable stocks are unconstitutional.

You are still making a false conclusion. The constitutionality of pistol grips, barrel shrouds, and retractable stocks is not continget on the constitutionality of a gun that there is no justification for outlawing.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong. Arguments about laws are largely judgement calls, especially when laws are vague and ambiguous. Arguments about specific laws arise precisely because of their vagueness and ambiguity.

Those judgement calls that you refer to can be supported with facts and logic if they have any validity.

Ok.

oralloy wrote:

There is nothing ambiguous about the intent of the Second Amendment.

Yes there is.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You're not keeping up with the argument. I responded to this that you wrote, "There is no such previous ruling to be overturned, as the Supreme Court has never ruled on the issue."

You are resorting to appeal to authority fallacies instead of supporting your position with facts and logic.

Yes. The courts are the authority in regard to the legality of the laws of the nation. Unofficial arguments supported with facts and logic do not override the courts' authority in regard to their arguments in regard to the legality of the laws of the nation.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 02:49 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong. This does not negate the fact that your statement that “that means arms that are sufficient for repelling a foreign invasion. That means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons” is merely an assertion of opinion.

The concerns that the Anti-Federalists raised regarding the militia were that the government would neglect to arm the militia and neglect to train the militia.

This does not negate the fact that your statement that “that means arms that are sufficient for repelling a foreign invasion. That means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons, as well as the right to keep them at home” is merely an assertion of opinion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
"As well as the right to keep them at home," is also an assertion of opinion.

It is a fact that the Second Amendment says that people have the right to KEEP arms.

Yes. The fact that the Second Amendment says that people have the right to KEEP arms does not negate the fact that the statement, "that means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons, as well as the right to keep them at home,” is an assertion of opinion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Yes it is.

IF it happens that a factual claim of mine will turn out to be incorrect, that will not make it an opinion. Such an error would merely be an untrue claim.

True, but if a claim of yours is merely an opinion then any factualness within the claim would be irrelevant to the fact that the claim is merely an opinion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
One thing is recorded history, another thing is your interpretation of it, and the conclusions you draw from your interpretation of it.

No interpretation is necessary. Recorded history is quite clear.

Wrong. Recorded history is constantly being reassessed, reevaluated and reinterpreted.

oralloy wrote:

We won't be able to have a productive discussion of my conclusions until we reach an understanding of what recorded history says. We'll get there.

The closest we'll get to a productive discussion of your conclusions is to acknowledge that your conclusions are opinions derived from what you understand recorded history says.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Recorded history shows that the Anti-Federalists proposed the Bill of Rights (including the Second Amendment) to address fears that they had about the new government.

Recorded history also shows that the Bill of Rights (including the Second Amendment) was adopted by the federal government to address the fears that were raised by the Anti-Federalists.

Ok.

The concerns that the Anti-Federalists raised regarding the militia were that the government would neglect to arm the militia and neglect to train the militia.

Sure, among other things.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
That is merely your interpretation of what the Second Amendment says.

The Second Amendment directly says that the people have the right to KEEP arms.

Sure, but the claim that, "that means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons, as well as the right to keep them at home,” is merely an assertion of opinion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That is incorrect. Recorded history shows that what the Virginia Ratifying Convention was afraid of was that the federal government would abuse it's power by preventing the militia from having arms sufficient to carry out their duties.

No it's not. This is an assertion of opinion, as well.
Patrick Henry, at the Virginia Ratifying Convention wrote:
Your militia is given up to Congress, also, in another part of this plan: they will therefore act as they think proper: all power will be in their own possession. You cannot force them to receive their punishment: of what service would militia be to you, when, most probably, you will not have a single musket in the state? for, as arms are to be provided by Congress, they may or may not furnish them.

Let me here call your attention to that part which gives the Congress power "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States -- reserving to the states, respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress." By this, sir, you see that their control over our last and best defence is unlimited. If they neglect or refuse to discipline or arm our militia, they will be useless: the states can do neither -- this power being exclusively given to Congress. The power of appointing officers over men not disciplined or armed is ridiculous; so that this pretended little remains of power left to the states may, at the pleasure of Congress, be rendered nugatory.
https://teachingamericanhistory.org/document/patrick-henry-virginia-ratifying-convention-va/

Ok. This, as well, does not negate the fact your claim that, "that means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons, as well as the right to keep them at home,” is merely an assertion of opinion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
What I think it means is irrelevant to the fact that your statement that "that means arms that are sufficient for repelling a foreign invasion. That means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons" is merely an assertion of what you think it means.

The fact that the Second Amendment says that the job of the militia is the security of the nation means the militia has the right to have weapons that are appropriate for repelling a foreign invasion.

"The fact that the Second Amendment says that the job of the militia is the security of the nation", is one thing: a statement of fact; the claim that that, "means the militia has the right to have weapons that are appropriate for repelling a foreign invasion," is another thing: an assetion of opinion based on interpratation of the statement of fact; and the conlusion that these support the claim that "that means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons, as well as the right to keep them at home," is yet another thing that is mere conjecture based on the first thing: the statement of fact, and the second thing: an assertion of opinion based on interpretation of the satement of fact.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That is incorrect. Patrick Henry's speech at the Virginia Ratifying Convention made it very clear that this was an issue of concern.

No it's not. This is merely an assertion of your interpretations of recorded history.
Patrick Henry, at the Virginia Ratifying Convention wrote:
Your militia is given up to Congress, also, in another part of this plan: they will therefore act as they think proper: all power will be in their own possession. You cannot force them to receive their punishment: of what service would militia be to you, when, most probably, you will not have a single musket in the state? for, as arms are to be provided by Congress, they may or may not furnish them.

Let me here call your attention to that part which gives the Congress power "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States -- reserving to the states, respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress." By this, sir, you see that their control over our last and best defence is unlimited. If they neglect or refuse to discipline or arm our militia, they will be useless: the states can do neither -- this power being exclusively given to Congress. The power of appointing officers over men not disciplined or armed is ridiculous; so that this pretended little remains of power left to the states may, at the pleasure of Congress, be rendered nugatory.
https://teachingamericanhistory.org/document/patrick-henry-virginia-ratifying-convention-va/

As stated earlier, this does not negate the fact your claim that, "that means grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons, as well as the right to keep them at home,” is merely an assertion of opinion.
oralloy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 06:59 pm

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Quote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFzLmq5XEAQd5pX?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1467197523127422979

Quote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFzLmq3XoAQZHqJ?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1467222203473215504

Quote:
https://media1.westword.com/den/imager/u/original/12967970/screenshot_2021-12-08_090925.jpg
https://twitter.com/laurenboebert/status/1468411381653323777

I was unsure if this was more appropriate in a gun thread or a Xmas thread. I went with the gun thread.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 10:22 pm
@oralloy,
Jesus would be appalled
oralloy

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2022 01:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
Good afternoon!
McGentrix

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2022 04:10 pm
Massie has a Tax Stamp... go figure.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:27 pm
FFS. Really?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/06/virginia-school-student-shot-teacher?CMP=share_btn_tw
Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2023 02:13 pm
@Wilso,
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I read the headline.

Why the hell was a LOADED gun available to a 6 year old?

Why the hell did the kid take it to school?

I hope those parents will be charged with something.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2023 03:34 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I could, nothing surprises me about gun nuts.

When other countries have mass shooting the government does something about it.

In America, the NRA has a parade celebrating the 2nd ammendment
Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2023 06:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Mame wrote:

I could, nothing surprises me about gun nuts.

When other countries have mass shooting the government does something about it.

In America, the NRA has a parade celebrating the 2nd ammendment

That’s the worst part. Not being surprised anymore
Mame

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2023 06:22 pm
@Wilso,
Wonder what's going to happen to that kid. Will he go into foster care? Will he be psychoanalysed to death? Will he have to change schools and, if so, will the new school be warned? He's a minor; they can't release his name, but... the safety of others should come first. No saying he'll do that again, of course, but whatever prompted that? What's going on at home that he thought taking a gun to school and shooting someone he disagreed with is normal? I know he's only six, but not many six year olds have done that. Where were his parents? In fact, who are his parents? What kind of person leaves a gun lying around? And loaded on top of that. Isn't that illegal? I thought guns and ammo had to be separated and locked up, with the gun unloaded. Will the parents be charged?
Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 04:35 am
Given the desire by the gun nuts to arm teachers, what would be the response if a teacher shot a six-year-old?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 04:36 am
Also can’t help but notice that they’ve gone awfully quiet here.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2023 05:15 pm
6-year-old who allegedly shot Va. teacher used gun legally purchased by mom, police say

It took four days to find out where the child got the gun. The gun was legally purchased by his mother. The article doesn't give specifics as to from where and when.

A national registry, among other things, is required for the good regulation of the keeping an bearing of arms in the US.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2023 05:19 pm
@Wilso,
I think it's due to gun violence exhaustion.

I was waiting for more details to be released by the authorities and media to comment.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2023 05:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
Part of the reason people call parents like this 'gun nuts' is because they implicitly think the weapon can be left lying around for a 6 year old to find and play with. Morons.

Or they obviously teach their 6 year old 'no one is allowed to take your guns from you under the 2nd ammendment, and if they try...' (ie. morons).
Mame

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2023 05:58 pm
Code of Virginia

§ 18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.
The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.
~~~~

So, this is what the mother is facing. Big deal.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 05:20 pm
This is the inevitable and logical conclusion to the gunsanity. A fvcking war zone. Where no one is safe
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 11:39 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
Also can't help but notice that they've gone awfully quiet here.

I've been a bit busy, first with the holidays, then surviving a heart attack.

I'll get around to replying to outstanding posts at some point. Maybe.

Keep in mind the fact that we've already won. The gun control movement is defeated. It's not like this is an issue where debate has any real urgency.
BillW

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 11:55 pm
@oralloy,
TAVR? Pace Maker? Open Heart?