Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 02:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
oralloy wrote:
You cannot provide any examples of a conservative mistaking opinion for fact.

that statement is an example of conservatives mistaking opinion as fact.

No it isn't. Your inability to back up your claims is very much a fact. You can't and you won't.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 02:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You lie

Wrong again. Everything that I said is true.

MontereyJack wrote:
I've done both, repeatedly.

You cannot provide any examples of a post where you have ever done anything of the sort.

MontereyJack wrote:
You ignore them and just post some other opinion as fact. That's pretty much all you do.

You cannot provide any examples of me saying that an opinion is a fact.

MontereyJack wrote:
And incidentally both of those statements are opinion pretending to be fact.

No they aren't.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 08:11 am
U.S. Supreme Court declines to hear gun rights cases
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to take up a series of new cases seeking to expand gun rights.

The court rejected a total of 10 different cases that had piled up at the court in recent months. Two justices, conservatives Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh, said they would have heard one of the cases, a dispute from New Jersey over that state’s concealed carry gun permits.

In the New Jersey case, the justices left in place a lower court ruling that threw out a lawsuit challenging the state’s law mandating that people who want to carry handguns in public must show they have a special reason before they can get a permit.

Other cases the court declined to take up included challenges to assault weapon bans in Massachusetts and Cook County, Illinois, a jurisdiction that includes Chicago. The court also turned down cases similar to the New Jersey dispute from Massachusetts and Maryland.

The high court’s action comes on the heels of its April 27 decision to dismiss a National Rifle Association-backed challenge to now-repealed New York City restrictions on handgun owners transporting their firearms outside the home.

The move sidestepped a major ruling over the scope of the right to bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment.

The New York case was the first gun rights dispute the court had heard in almost a decade, with gun control activists fearful the court will further expand the right to bear arms.

The decision by the justices not to take up any of the 10 other cases shows that the court, which has a 5-4 conservative majority, remains hesitant about wading into gun rights issues.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:13 am
@oralloy,
So you put the "authority" of the NRA above the Supreme Court.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't really see any contradiction between the two that would result in one being ranked higher or lower than the other.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:23 am
@oralloy,
I personally wouldn't like to live in a country where the highest court is on the same level of legal authority - especially regarding constitutional questions - as a private gun rights advocacy group.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Such countries are known as democracies. I think living in a democracy is pretty swell.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:40 am
@oralloy,
Well, most democratic countries, besides the USA you said, have a separation of powers, and the judiciary, especially regarding constitutional questions, isn't run by private associations.

At least that's what I knew before you taught me to be wrong.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
But now you know better, and you understand that in a democracy the voters have a strong say in government affairs??
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 10:38 am
@oralloy,
No. I can't imagine that a private association acts as the judiciary.

But, as you say, that's democracy.

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:04 am
@oralloy,
Be assured that I know such.
But all my last responses were about that you wrote, the NRA is neither ranked higher or lower than the Supreme Court regarding the NRA's legal authority.
oralloy

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There is no contradiction between the authority of the courts and the authority of the voters. They are two entirely different things.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 09:13 am
Other than the NRA doesn't represent a fraction of voters.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:48 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Other than the NRA doesn't represent a fraction of voters.

Like Biden?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 02:26 pm
https://017qndpynh-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/13.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 02:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I feel a lot safer with those guys and their guns than I do with the lily-white wannabe macho guys with their MAGA hats and cheapjack Walmart camo and their posturing.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
I feel a lot safer with those guys and their guns than I do with the lily-white wannabe macho guys

Another fine example of your racism.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:09 pm
@coldjoint,
No, a fine example of the white wannabe militias
racism.