Guns: how much longer will it take ....

vikorr

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 08:27 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Jogging, running, hauling ass... I see nothing sinister in their use of this terminology.
ROFL...

- Jogging...nothing sinister can be found in this description

- Hauling Ass...he's fleeing (an interpretation of 'hauling ass away from here')
- Running...he's fleeing (an interpretation)

The inference is "He's guilty, so he's hauling ass, he's running, he's fleeing". It's reinforced by them chasing him, and calling to 911 to say that 'he's running' (so again, inferring he is fleeing)

This really shouldn't need to be explained.

Quote:
He was going to confront him for this:
What you posted wasn't the issue - the issue was that McMichael said he was a suspect for breakins. McMichael, being a former police officer and investigator, would know that he had no actual reason or evidence that would make the victim a suspect. Being seen:
- walking through a construction site and not taking anything; and
- no complaint being made by the owner
... is quite different to being a suspect in break ins.

Georgia law for citizens arrests, from what I read, say you can only arrest someone if you directly witness the event, or have direct knowledge of their guilt. And again, McMichael was a former police officer & prosecutions investigator, so should know this. That he disregarded it goes further towards the malicious intent (as does the racist wording of a black man just jogging)...just like you can get malicious prosecutions.

Intent can really only be inferred from a persons actions & words (don't remember where I heard that one, but it seems pretty accurate - except I'd add in background/knowledge), and Snr's intent seems malicious to me. Jnr, as I mentioned, may just be stupid.
vikorr

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 08:39 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Jogging, running, hauling ass... I see nothing sinister in their use of this terminology.

Son, he's out jogging, grab your gun, we've got to stop him !

Son, he's hauling As. He's running, grab your gun. we've got to stop him !

Only one of those sentences makes any normal sense - the one that implies the guy is fleeing (ie, a crime, apprehension, or for his life)

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:10 pm
@vikorr,
That reinforces my position that they honestly believed that the jogger was a fleeing burglar.

It undermines the notion that there was anything more sinister than an honest belief that the jogger was an escaping burglar.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:10 pm
@oralloy,
I notice all those thefts/breakins seem to have taken place with nobody observing them. There are NO evindences of anyone actually seeing anyone who was committing them. Which means that the McMichaels on the basis of no evidence profiled awbery because he was a black man in a white neighborhood and grabbed their guns and went looking for blood. They had absolutely no basis for their suspicii\ons. It was racist, and it was murder.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:12 pm
@MontereyJack,
Trying to question someone who you find suspicious is hardly looking for blood.

I know progressives really want black people to be allowed to kill with impunity, but no. Defending yourself from a violent attack is hardly murder.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:14 pm
@oralloy,
they shot him. blood.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:15 pm
@MontereyJack,
Travis McMichael only fired his weapon when the jogger charged at him and tried to wrestle it away from him.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:17 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
ROFL...

- Jogging...nothing sinister can be found in this description

- Hauling Ass...he's fleeing (an interpretation of 'hauling ass away from here')
- Running...he's fleeing (an interpretation)

The inference is "He's guilty, so he's hauling ass, he's running, he's fleeing". It's reinforced by them chasing him, and calling to 911 to say that 'he's running' (so again, inferring he is fleeing)

This really shouldn't need to be explained.

All that proves is that they really did suspect him of being a burglar.

vikorr wrote:
What you posted wasn't the issue - the issue was that McMichael said he was a suspect for breakins. McMichael, being a former police officer and investigator, would know that he had no actual reason or evidence that would make the victim a suspect.

That you disagree with his suspicions does not mean that he did not have those suspicions.

vikorr wrote:
Being seen:
- walking through a construction site and not taking anything; and
- no complaint being made by the owner
... is quite different to being a suspect in break ins.

Indeed. And they suspected the jogger of actual break ins.

vikorr wrote:
Georgia law for citizens arrests, from what I read, say you can only arrest someone if you directly witness the event, or have direct knowledge of their guilt. And again, McMichael was a former police officer & prosecutions investigator, so should know this. That he disregarded it

Do you have any evidence that they were trying to make a citizens arrest as opposed to merely wanting to question the jogger?

vikorr wrote:
That he disregarded it goes further towards the malicious intent (as does the racist wording of a black man just jogging)...just like you can get malicious prosecutions.

Assuming for the sake of argument that they were attempting a citizens arrest, what is malicious about trying to make a citizens arrest when you suspect someone of a crime?

I get your point about a citizens arrest not being legal with the evidence that they had. But being legally in the wrong wouldn't mean that they had malicious intent.

vikorr wrote:
(as does the racist wording of a black man just jogging)...

The wording does not show anything more sinister than an honest belief that the jogger was an escaping burglar.

vikorr wrote:
Intent can really only be inferred from a persons actions & words (don't remember where I heard that one, but it seems pretty accurate - except I'd add in background/knowledge), and Snr's intent seems malicious to me.

I've yet to see any evidence for anything more sinister than a genuine belief that the jogger was an escaping burglar.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:33 pm
@oralloy,
You always always blame the black person in these confrontations and do your damnedest to proclaim the innoence of the armed white aggressors, no matter how clearly they fatally violated the black person's civil rights. The McMichaeils had no evidence and they profiled him and killed him on the basis of no evidence.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:35 pm
@MontereyJack,
I'm pretty sure that I've been saying all along that Travis and Gregory McMichael are probably guilty of manslaughter.

They didn't kill the jogger on the basis of no evidence. They killed the jogger on the basis of him charging at Travis McMichael and trying to wrestle his shotgun away.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:41 pm
@oralloy,
guilty of murder as the Georgia law charges them. You're big on self defense as a justification for the 2nd amendment. It's pretty much obvious, given the overall circumstances he was perfectly justified in trying to remove the threat the shotgun clearly posed.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:41 pm
@MontereyJack,
I know that progressives and BLM goons want black people to be allowed to kill whoever they want with impunity, but no. Protecting yourself from a violent attack isn't murder.
vikorr

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That reinforces my position that they honestly believed that the jogger was a fleeing burglar.
Except the victim was not a fleeing burlgar - he was a jogger, in jogging gear, moving with the gait of a jogger. There was no reason for McMichael to describe the activity of jogging the way he did...except that he wanted to hunt the jogger down (and phrasing it the way he did, inferring the victim was fleeing a crime - which he was not, helps justify his hunting the guy down).

And again - this is a ex police officer & DA investigator we are talking about. This isn't your average citizen who doesn't understand the law, nor what makes a person a suspect. Nor what is required before you can arrest someone. And this ex officer maliciously acted outside of his authority as a private citizen, knowing:
- Had not witnessed the victim committing a crime in progress (Georgia citizens arrest requirement; Part A); nor
- Did this ex officer have direct knowledge of the victims guilt (Georgia citizens arrest requirement; Part B)

It goes further into maliciousness when you consider that McMichael knew the victim was a very tenuous suspect (all they have is footage of him looking under a house, not taking anything, then leaving. And that for an incident which the owner of the house didn't want to make any criminal complaint about.)

These weren't the words or behaviour of someone who innocently believed he was doing the right thing - this was the actions of a guy who phrased things in the most negative, inaccurate light possible, so that he could engage in the malicious behaviour that he wanted to engage in, who then armed up with his son, hunted down an innocent man, and killed him.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:44 pm
@oralloy,
As you always do, you've got it backwards again.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 11:00 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Except the victim was not a fleeing burlgar - he was a jogger, in jogging gear, moving with the gait of a jogger.

That doesn't change the fact that Travis and Gregory McMichael believed it.

vikorr wrote:
There was no reason for McMichael to describe the activity of jogging the way he did...except that he wanted to hunt the jogger down (and phrasing it the way he did, inferring the victim was fleeing a crime - which he was not, helps justify his hunting the guy down).

Sure there is. The reason for the description was his honest belief that the jogger was a fleeing burglar.

vikorr wrote:
And again - this is a ex police officer & DA investigator we are talking about. This isn't your average citizen who doesn't understand the law, nor what makes a person a suspect. Nor what is required before you can arrest someone. And this ex officer maliciously acted outside of his authority as a private citizen, knowing:
- Had not witnessed the victim committing a crime in progress (Georgia citizens arrest requirement; Part A); nor
- Did this ex officer have direct knowledge of the victims guilt (Georgia citizens arrest requirement; Part B)

I'm still not seeing any evidence of malice in attempting a citizens arrest. Being legally in the wrong is not the same thing as malicious intent.

I'm also not seeing any evidence that they were attempting a citizens arrest. They could well have just been trying to question the jogger.

vikorr wrote:
It goes further into maliciousness when you consider that McMichael knew the victim was a very tenuous suspect (all they have is footage of him looking under a house, not taking anything, then leaving. And that for an incident which the owner of the house didn't want to make any criminal complaint about)

That isn't all they had. They also had the fact that there was an actual burglar operating in the area.

vikorr wrote:
These weren't the words or behaviour of someone who innocently believed he was doing the right thing - this was the actions of a guy who phrased things in the most negative, inaccurate light possible, so that he could engage in the malicious behaviour that he wanted to engage in, who then armed up with his son, hunted down an innocent man, and killed him.

That is incorrect. They are the words of someone who honestly believed that the jogger was a fleeing burglar.
vikorr

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 11:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
And on what reasonable grounds would they have believed it? That was the point of my previous posts - he had no reasonable grounds for believing such, nor for phrasing it the way he did. So, Malicious intent.

Quote:
I'm still not seeing any evidence of malice in attempting a citizens arrest. Being legally in the wrong is not the same thing as malicious intent.
We would agree...if that were the case. However, knowing you don't have the legal grounds/authority and going ahead and hunting a guy down and pulling a gun on him is malicious. That is the point of stating was in a position to know, and it is incredibly unlikely that Snr didn't know. So, malicious intent.

Quote:
That isn't all they had. They also had the fact that there was an actual burglar operating in the area.
Uh, that was so obvious it shouldn't need to be stated (as it's impossible to have a suspect without a person committing a crime). I would think the existence of a perpetrator doesn't make a person a suspect - only the evidence / witness tying them to the crime can do that.

By the way - we aren't talking about 'might have done it, maybe, possibly' kind of suspect - we are talking about to a degree that would make the 'suspect' arrestable. This is obviously why Georgia law wants citizens to either directly witness, or have direct knowledge of the guilt. I doubt police arrest at anything short of overwhelming evidence either - because of double jeopardy laws. And here we have an ex police officer / DA investigator who:
- knows these laws
- knows the standards of evidence required
- knows there's not enough for the victim to even be a true 'suspect'
- knows it will never stand up in court

...arming up with his son, and hunting the victim down, and killing the victim. So again - malicious intent.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 12:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Ain't a fact. They said so but could be lying.
oralloy

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 02:51 am
@Olivier5,
All of the evidence so far is entirely consistent with an attempt to confront a suspected burglar, followed by self defense when the suspected burglar violently attacked Travis McMichael.

There is no evidence that suggests anything more sinister than that.
oralloy

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 02:53 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
And on what reasonable grounds would they have believed it? That was the point of my previous posts - he had no reasonable grounds for believing such, nor for phrasing it the way he did. So, Malicious intent.

Your disagreement with his conclusions is not evidence of malicious intent.

His phrasing is entirely consistent with a belief that the jogger was an escaping burglar.

vikorr wrote:
We would agree...if that were the case. However, knowing you don't have the legal grounds/authority and going ahead and hunting a guy down and pulling a gun on him is malicious. That is the point of stating was in a position to know, and it is incredibly unlikely that Snr didn't know. So, malicious intent.

I do not agree on the likelihood of knowledge. Where is the evidence that Gregory McMichael realized that he was breaking the law? I bet he did not believe that he was breaking the law then, and still believes it right now.

But even if he did know that he was breaking the law, there is still no evidence of anything more sinister than an attempt to confront a suspected burglar.

vikorr wrote:
Uh, that was so obvious it shouldn't need to be stated (as it's impossible to have a suspect without a person committing a crime). I would think the existence of a perpetrator doesn't make a person a suspect - only the evidence / witness tying them to the crime can do that.

By the way - we aren't talking about 'might have done it, maybe, possibly' kind of suspect - we are talking about to a degree that would make the 'suspect' arrestable.

It is pretty clear that Travis and Gregory McMichael were using the term suspect in a "might have done it, maybe, possibly" sense.

vikorr wrote:
This is obviously why Georgia law wants citizens to either directly witness, or have direct knowledge of the guilt. I doubt police arrest at anything short of overwhelming evidence either - because of double jeopardy laws. And here we have an ex police officer / DA investigator who:
- knows these laws
- knows the standards of evidence required
- knows there's not enough for the victim to even be a true 'suspect'
- knows it will never stand up in court

...arming up with his son, and hunting the victim down, and killing the victim. So again - malicious intent.

Your characterization of their actions omits the key fact that Travis McMichael only opened fire when the jogger charged at him and tried to seize his weapon. Attempting to question someone is hardly evidence of malicious intent.

Your assumptions regarding Gregory McMichael's level of legal knowledge may very well be inaccurate as well.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 04:32 am
@oralloy,
Following someone for several minutes, profiling him on no evidence as a burglary suspect, stopping him on no evidence and then attempting to question him while he was unarmed, while holding a shotgun are not neutral actions. They are actions that would put a reasonable person in fear for his life. You claim self defense is a basic right, so Auhmaud was perfectly justified in attempting to remove a validly perceived threat to his life. A charge of murder against the McMichaels is perfectly reasonable therefore.