Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Glennn

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 08:47 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The difference is between "assault rifles" and "assault weapons."

Uh huh. Then go ahead and tell me the difference between an assault rifle and an assault weapon.
Quote:
You brought it up; I didn't.

Really?
Quote:
The AR-15 is in every way an assault weapon.

If you don't want to be corrected, then stop bringing up that ridiculous claim.
Quote:
Who anything about select-fire?

You claimed that the AR-15 is an assault weapon. I told you that the AR-15 is not an assault weapon since it does not have select-fire capability. I told you that the military does not use the civilian version of the AR-15 because it lacks select-fire capability. You then tried to make the ridiculous claim that the military does use semiautomatics since semiautomatic-fire is one of the options on an actual assault weapon. That's like saying that, because a sports car can travel at forty miles per hour, a compact four-cylinder is also a sports car because it, too, can travel at forty miles per hour. Silly, huh?
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 12:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Nope.

That is incorrect. It is unreasonable for Mr. Biden to try to violate the Second Amendment solely for his own sadistic pleasure over violating people's civil liberties.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 12:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

There is no difference. Both terms refer to the same thing. Such weapons have been unavailable to the general public for 85 years now.

InfraBlue wrote:

You were the person who brought up pistol grips. You did so when you attempted to justify Mr. Biden's pistol grip ban.

InfraBlue wrote:

Glen and I did, when we pointed out the fact that only guns with selective fire can be classified as an assault weapon.

InfraBlue wrote:
More straw man arguments that you bring yourself back to because that's all you have.

The fact that semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are not assault weapons is not a straw man. It is the central point.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 03:13 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Uh huh. Then go ahead and tell me the difference between an assault rifle and an assault weapon.[\quote]
An assault rifle is capable of burst or automatic fire, whereas an assault weapon such as the AR-15 is a weapon based on assault rifles sans the burst or automatic fire capability.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Really?
Quote:
The AR-15 is in every way an assault weapon.

If you don't want to be corrected, then stop bringing up that ridiculous claim.

Really. I didn't bring up select-fire at all; you did. There is nothing to correct save your confusion of the terms "assault rifle" and "assault weapon," although you've demonstrated time and again that your confusion is incorrigible.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

You claimed that the AR-15 is an assault weapon. I told you that the AR-15 is not an assault weapon since it does not have select-fire capability. I told you that the military does not use the civilian version of the AR-15 because it lacks select-fire capability. You then tried to make the ridiculous claim that the military does use semiautomatics since semiautomatic-fire is one of the options on an actual assault weapon. That's like saying that, because a sports car can travel at forty miles per hour, a compact four-cylinder is also a sports car because it, too, can travel at forty miles per hour. Silly, huh?

Like I said, you're confused. What's more, you're predicating your straw man arguments upon that confusion.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 03:15 pm
@oralloy,
Your assertion is incorrect.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 03:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

There is no difference. Both terms refer to the same thing. Such weapons have been unavailable to the general public for 85 years now.

Wrong, there is a difference. Wrong, both terms refer to different things. Machine guns have been unavailable to the general public since 1934.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

You were the person who brought up pistol grips. You did so when you attempted to justify Mr. Biden's pistol grip ban.

I didn't bring up pistol grips; you did in your straw man argument.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Glen and I did, when we pointed out the fact that only guns with selective fire can be classified as an assault weapon.

Exactly, I didn't say anything about select-fire. You and Glennn confuse what you say with what I say. That's what's causing your straw man arguments. Much, much confusion on your part.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
More straw man arguments that you bring yourself back to because that's all you have.

The fact that semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are not assault weapons is not a straw man. It is the central point.

The central point of your argument is erroneous making your argument a straw man one.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 05:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
an assault weapon such as the AR-15

A semi-auto-only AR-15 is not an assault weapon. Assault weapons have burst or automatic fire capability.

InfraBlue wrote:
There is nothing to correct save your confusion of the terms "assault rifle" and "assault weapon," although you've demonstrated time and again that your confusion is incorrigible.

Glennn is not confused. Both terms refer to the same thing: weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 05:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

No it isn't. It is unreasonable for Mr. Biden to try to violate the Second Amendment solely for his own sadistic pleasure over violating people's civil liberties.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 05:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong, there is a difference. Wrong, both terms refer to different things.

There is no difference. Both terms apply to the same thing: weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years now.

InfraBlue wrote:
Machine guns have been unavailable to the general public since 1934.

The same restrictions that have applied to machine guns since 1934 have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

The same restrictions that have applied to machine guns since 1986 have also applied to assault weapons since 1986.

InfraBlue wrote:
I didn't bring up pistol grips; you did

That is incorrect. You brought up pistol grips when you addressed Mr. Biden's desire to outlaw pistol grips on semi-auto rifles.

InfraBlue wrote:
The central point of your argument is erroneous making your argument a straw man one.

My point is not erroneous. Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are not assault weapons.

If I had actually been in error, that would not have made my argument a straw man. The term "straw man fallacy" does not refer to cases where people are mistaken about something.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 02:09 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
an assault weapon such as the AR-15

A semi-auto-only AR-15 is not an assault weapon. Assault weapons have burst or automatic fire capability.

Wrong. A semi-auto only AR-15 is an assault weapon. Assault rifles have burst or automatic fire capability.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
There is nothing to correct save your confusion of the terms "assault rifle" and "assault weapon," although you've demonstrated time and again that your confusion is incorrigible.

Glennn is not confused. Both terms refer to the same thing: weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years.

You and Glennn are very much confused. Both terms refer to different things. Machine guns have been unavailable to the general public since 1934.
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 02:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong. A semi-auto only AR-15 is an assault weapon. Assault rifles have burst or automatic fire capability.

Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles lack the selective fire capability that is necessary for them to be considered an assault weapon.

InfraBlue wrote:
You and Glennn are very much confused. Both terms refer to different things.

Both terms refer to the same thing: weapons that have been unavailable to the general public for 85 years now.

InfraBlue wrote:

The same restrictions have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

Additionally, people are only allowed to own an assault weapon if it was manufactured and registered more than 33 years ago.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 03:02 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Wrong, there is a difference. Wrong, both terms refer to different things.

There is no difference. Both terms apply to the same thing: weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years now.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

The same restrictions that have applied to machine guns since 1934 have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

The same restrictions that have applied to machine guns since 1986 have also applied to assault weapons since 1986.

Patently wrong. The restrictions against assault weapons lasted for ten years after 1994.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
I didn't bring up pistol grips; you did

That is incorrect. You brought up pistol grips when you addressed Mr. Biden's desire to outlaw pistol grips on semi-auto rifles.

You're severely confused.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Your point is fatally erroneous making your argument a straw man one.

oralloy wrote:

If I had actually been in error, that would not have made my argument a straw man. The term "straw man fallacy" does not refer to cases where people are mistaken about something.

The term "straw man" refers to a fallacious refutation of a falsely attributed argument. In your case, specifically, your error was in defending Glennn's attribution to me of an argument I haven't made, i.e. that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities, which they do not, that in your addlment you've conflated with your argument that they do. Your thought processes are completely and utterly muddled.
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 03:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles lack the selective fire capability that is necessary for them to be considered an assault weapon.

InfraBlue wrote:
Patently wrong.

Not wrong. The same restrictions that have applied to machine guns since 1934 have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

InfraBlue wrote:
The restrictions against assault weapons lasted for ten years after 1994.

Those restrictions did not address assault weapons. They unconstitutionally applied to ordinary hunting rifles like the AR-15.

InfraBlue wrote:

No confusion. When you defended Biden's demand for a pistol grip law, you brought up pistol grips.

InfraBlue wrote:
Your point is fatally erroneous

InfraBlue wrote:
making your argument a straw man one.

Even if my point had actually been in error, that would not make it a straw man argument.

The term "straw man fallacy" does not refer to cases were people make errors.

InfraBlue wrote:
The term "straw man" refers to a fallacious refutation of a falsely attributed argument. In your case, specifically, your error was in defending Glennn's attribution to me of an argument I haven't made, i.e. that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities,

I did not make any such post. Neither did Glennn.

InfraBlue wrote:
an argument I haven't made, i.e. that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities, which they do not,

That is incorrect. Selective fire capabilities are part of the definition of assault weapon. That is why semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are not assault weapons.

InfraBlue wrote:
that in your addlment you've conflated with your argument that they do. Your thought processes are completely and utterly muddled.

Except, you are the only person here who is conflating arguments. Neither Glennn nor I ever attributed to you the argument that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities.

That is the argument that Glennn and I are making ourselves.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 03:12 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Wrong. Selective fire capability is not necessary for AR-15 rifles to be considered assault weapons.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You and Glennn are very much confused. Both terms refer to different things.

Both terms refer to the same thing: weapons that have been unavailable to the general public for 85 years now.

Wrong. Both terms refer to different things, one to selective fire rifles, the other to semiautomatic weapons based on military issue ones.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

The same restrictions have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

oralloy wrote:

Additionally, people are only allowed to own an assault weapon if it was manufactured and registered more than 33 years ago.

More accurately, machine guns have been heavily regulated since 1934.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 03:20 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Patently wrong.

Not wrong. The same restrictions that have applied to machine guns since 1934 have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

Patently wrong.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
The restrictions against assault weapons lasted for ten years after 1994.

Those restrictions did not address assault weapons. They unconstitutionally applied to ordinary hunting rifles like the AR-15.

Yes they did. Says you.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

No confusion. When you defended Biden's demand for a pistol grip law, you brought up pistol grips.

Much, much confusion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Your point is fatally erroneous

Uh-huh. Wrong.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
making your argument a straw man one.

Even if my point had actually been in error, that would not make it a straw man argument.

The term "straw man fallacy" does not refer to cases were people make errors.

The term "straw man fallacy" refers to cases where people attribute false arguments to their opponents.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
The term "straw man" refers to a fallacious refutation of a falsely attributed argument. In your case, specifically, your error was in defending Glennn's attribution to me of an argument I haven't made, i.e. that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities,

I did not make any such post. Neither did Glennn.

Yes you did.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
an argument I haven't made, i.e. that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities, which they do not,

That is incorrect. Selective fire capabilities are part of the definition of assault weapon. That is why semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are not assault weapons.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
that in your addlment you've conflated with your argument that they do. Your thought processes are completely and utterly muddled.

Except, you are the only person here who is conflating arguments. Neither Glennn nor I ever attributed to you the argument that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities.

Wrong. I've delineated my argument. You've conflated it with yours in your straw man arguments.

oralloy wrote:
That is the argument that Glennn and I are making ourselves.

Your and Glennn's argument is a straw man one.
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Selective fire capability is not necessary for AR-15 rifles to be considered assault weapons.

Yes it is. Selective fire capability is part of the definition of the term assault weapon.

InfraBlue wrote:
Both terms refer to different things, one to selective fire rifles, the other to semiautomatic weapons based on military issue ones.

Both terms refer to exactly the same thing: selective fire weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years.

InfraBlue wrote:

No it isn't. The same restrictions have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

InfraBlue wrote:

It isn't possible to be "more" accurate than a statement that has 100% accuracy.

This statement has 100% accuracy: Additionally, people are only allowed to own an assault weapon if it was manufactured and registered more than 33 years ago.
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

Wrong again. Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles lack the selective fire capability that is necessary for them to be considered assault weapons.

InfraBlue wrote:
Patently wrong.

InfraBlue wrote:
Yes they did.

The 1994 law did not address assault weapons in any way.

It only placed unconstitutional restrictions on ordinary hunting rifles like the AR-15.

InfraBlue wrote:
Says you.

I like to defend civil liberties.

InfraBlue wrote:
Much, much confusion.

No confusion. When you defended Biden's demand to outlaw pistol grips on semi-auto rifles, you brought up pistol grips.

InfraBlue wrote:
Uh-huh. Wrong.

Not wrong. Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles lack the selective fire capability that is necessary for them to be considered assault weapons.

InfraBlue wrote:
The term "straw man fallacy" refers to cases where people attribute false arguments to their opponents.

Which is why you are wrong to use the term to refer to cases of alleged errors.

InfraBlue wrote:
Yes you did.

Neither Glennn nor I have ever attributed to you the argument that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities.

InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

InfraBlue wrote:
I've delineated my argument. You've conflated it with yours in your straw man arguments.

Neither Glennn nor I have ever attributed to you the argument that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities.

And since we never did such a thing, there is no way for it to be a straw man argument.

InfraBlue wrote:

Again you misuse the term. Pointing out that your claims are factually incorrect is also not a straw man argument.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:58 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Selective fire capability is not necessary for AR-15 rifles to be considered assault weapons.

Yes it is. Selective fire capability is part of the definition of the term assault weapon.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Both terms refer to different things, one to selective fire rifles, the other to semiautomatic weapons based on military issue ones.

Both terms refer to exactly the same thing: selective fire weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

No it isn't. The same restrictions have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

It isn't possible to be "more" accurate than a statement that has 100% accuracy.

This tautology is irrelevant to your inaccurate assertion.

oralloy wrote:

This statement has 100% accuracy: Additionally, people are only allowed to own an assault weapon if it was manufactured and registered more than 33 years ago.

This statement is inaccurate. Actually, people are only allowed to own a machine gun if it was manufactured and registered before 1986.
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

Wrong again. Selective fire capability is part of the definition of the term assault weapon. That is why semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are not assault weapons.

InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

Wrong again. Both terms refer to exactly the same thing: selective fire weapons that have not been available to the general public for 85 years.

InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

Wrong again. The same restrictions have also applied to assault weapons since 1934.

InfraBlue wrote:
This tautology is irrelevant to your inaccurate assertion.

That wasn't a tautology.

The fact that "it isn't possible to be 'more' accurate than a statement that has 100% accuracy" is highly relevant considering your untrue assertion that a statement was more accurate.

InfraBlue wrote:
This statement is inaccurate.

InfraBlue wrote:
Actually, people are only allowed to own a machine gun if it was manufactured and registered before 1986.

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:32 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

Wrong again. Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles lack the selective fire capability that is necessary for them to be considered assault weapons.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Patently wrong.

Verily wrong.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Yes they did.

The 1994 law did not address assault weapons in any way.

It only placed unconstitutional restrictions on ordinary hunting rifles like the AR-15.

Wrong. It most certainly did.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Says you.

I like to defend civil liberties.

This declaration is irrelevant to the fact that, says you.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Much, much confusion.

No confusion. When you defended Biden's demand to outlaw pistol grips on semi-auto rifles, you brought up pistol grips.

Much, much confusion.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Uh-huh. Wrong.

Not wrong. Semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles lack the selective fire capability that is necessary for them to be considered assault weapons.

Verily wrong.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Which is why you are wrong to use the term to refer to cases of alleged errors.

Wrong. I was competely correct to use the term to refer to your argument.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Yes you did.

Wrong. In conflating your argument that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities with my argument based on the fact that that they do not, you attributed your argument to me in your straw man argument.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Nuh-uh.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
I've delineated my argument. You've conflated it with yours in your straw man arguments.

And since we never did such a thing, there is no way for it to be a straw man argument.

Wrong. In conflating your argument that assault weapons have selective fire capabilities with my argument based on the fact that that they do not, you attributed your argument to me in your straw man argument.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Again you misuse the term. Pointing out that your claims are factually incorrect is also not a straw man argument.

No I don't. Your assertion is entirely erroneous.