Isn't it nice to not have such an incompetent tool in the White house?

ebrown p

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 02:47 pm
I have said this before... but I will say it again.

I don't understand the political wisdom of attacking Obama's speaking ability.

If I were a conservative, I would to do exact opposite... praising Obama for his speaking ability (which opens up doors to attack his policies). I was very happy to point out that Reagan was "the great communicator" which allowed me to explain that this is why he won elections and kept popularity ratings high in spite of the fact his policies (in my opinion) were dreadful.

Not only that, but Obama's intelligence and ability to communicate are so obvious to all but the most blind partisans that these criticisms make the right seem even more petty.

But since the party line is that Obama is a bad speaker... there must be some other explanation to the fact he not only won the election decisively, but that he remains quite popular.

Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

But since the party line is that Obama is a bad speaker... there must be some other explanation to the fact he not only won the election decisively, but that he remains quite popular.

Being able to speak extemporaneously does not always correlate to great intellect. Whether or not one needs a speech written in front of oneself is a non-sequitor, in my opinion. It is the content of the speech that counts, not the oratory skills in the delivery. We should not hold the President to the standards of what makes a good actor learning his lines. But, I could see Obama one day in a remake of It's a Wonderful Life.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:43 am
There is a fairly common (although perhaps not well documented) belief that we as Canadians are superior to Americans due to (presumably):

better guns laws
better treatment of homosexuals
better criminal justice
better freedom from religion
a more ethical culture
a more tolerant culture
etc

Be that as it may (and I for one am not making such claims), Canada has nothing other than while males in its highest political positions. When I mention this white males observation to friends with said superior beliefs, they lack a viable response!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:05 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Man, that Bush was some kind of retard, wasn't he? ...........

President Bush was an "incompetent TOOL"??? Whose tool? If you meant an incompetent fool, weigh, please, the competences of the current smart operator running the White House minstrel show. Then again, check the deficit as % of GDP, or blood-and-guts cost in Afghanistan. Or try thinking, thought never having qualified as a commodity in plentiful supply around this site.
Advocate

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:34 pm
Bush is special. He was both an incompetent tool and a fool.

Indeed, O has to take temporary and drastic steps to get this country moving after the disastrous management of the country for the past eight years. Otherwise, like the great depression, we could linger for a decade or more in an economic hole that would shake this country to its foundations.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

kickycan wrote:

Man, that Bush was some kind of retard, wasn't he? ...........

President Bush was an "incompetent TOOL"??? Whose tool? If you meant an incompetent fool, weigh, please, the competences of the current smart operator running the White House minstrel show. Then again, check the deficit as % of GDP, or blood-and-guts cost in Afghanistan. Or try thinking, thought never having qualified as a commodity in plentiful supply around this site.

'Tool' is slang for useless person amongst the youth, grandma, not a literal term.

Interesting that you choose to use the words 'minstrel show.' Don't you think so?

You should also try thinking, and admit to yourself that Obama's deficit/GDP ratio would be a hell of a lot lower if that incompetent tool Bush had done his goddamn job a little better, and not ran our economy into a wall right before leaving office.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:51 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I have said this before... but I will say it again.

I don't understand the political wisdom of attacking Obama's speaking ability.

If I were a conservative, I would to do exact opposite... praising Obama for his speaking ability (which opens up doors to attack his policies).

But, I did.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 07:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

.....................'Tool' is slang for useless person amongst the youth, grandma, not a literal term.

Interesting that you choose to use the words 'minstrel show.' Don't you think so?

Cycl - tks for clarification on "tool", but the term you question was in use long before any of us now living arrived on the scene; your turn to look up its relevance.
Advocate

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 08:16 am
After the utter and complete incompetency of the Reps during the Bush administration, it is a joke to see them criticize Obama about anything. Maybe they should just shut up and give O a chance to right the country.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 08:46 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Maybe they should just shut up and give O a chance to right the country.

Yes ... I for one am anxiously awaiting the Messiah's first Miracle ....
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 09:10 am
@Ticomaya,
Come on, isn't it enough that Obama got this Congress to pass a few spending bills in records time and record numbers???? Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 09:15 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

.....................'Tool' is slang for useless person amongst the youth, grandma, not a literal term.

Cycl - tks for clarification on "tool", but the term you question was in use long before any of us now living arrived on the scene; your turn to look up its relevance.

I was merely reporting its modern usage, not providing a history of the term.

The term 'minstrel show' has been around for a long time as well; don't you think it's interesting that you chose to use that term to describe the Obama White House? I certainly do.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 09:19 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote: "President Bush was an "incompetent TOOL"??? Whose tool? If you meant an incompetent fool, weigh, please, the competences of the current smart operator running the White House minstrel show".

Are you implying that Barack Obama is a member of a minstrel show comprised of white men wearing black face makeup? A tad racist don't you agree?

BBB

http://www.musicals101.com/minstrel.htm
Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I agree, BBB. A very bad use of words.
Obama inherited such a pile of elephant dung from Bush and the Republicans I wouldn't think High Seas would mention GDP when we have only had 2 months of this administration. I do like to hear the English language instead of Bushspeak. And as for Iraq and Afghanistan messes and the misuse of troops and the loss of life on the Iraqi side and ours, I am willing to give Obama a chance to try to pry us out. He was not given a plate of goodies...more like the pile of above mentioned.
High Seas

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:21 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Vietnamnurse wrote:

............. I do like to hear the English language instead of Bushspeak. ..........

Yet you, and the other 2 champions of the English language here who took exception to "minstrel" (a medieval word, FYI, in English, btw), never even noticed the "retard" (sic) in the original post of this thread. The assorted "retard" (sic) associations complained to the White House recently - how come YOU didn't take offense THEN?
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/03/obama_likens_his_bowling_game.html
Quote:
Leno asked the president whether the White House bowling alley had been "burned and closed down" in light of Obama's gutter ball embarrassment on the campaign trail last year.

Obama replied, "No, no. I have been practicing . . . I bowled a 129."

The audience roared with laughter, and the late-night talk show host assured Obama "that's very good, Mr. President." To which Obama interjected, "It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something."

The audience laughed. But the White House didn't let the comment linger without clarification.

"The president made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics,"
McTag

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:07 pm

He actually told the US car industry to start designing sensible cars. Or autos, whatever.

What a paragon.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:10 pm
@High Seas,
But, that's accurate; Bush is some kind of retard.

The term 'minstrel show' is typically one used with racial connotations. Naturally, you knew that when you wrote it. So don't play dumb.

You're really batting a thousand today, yaknow?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:26 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Vietnamnurse wrote:

I agree, BBB. A very bad use of words.

The intent behind them is what's REALLY nasty.

As for mentioning the GDP!!!! You'd think shame would prevent it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:58 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Advocate wrote:
Maybe they should just shut up and give O a chance to right the country.

Yes ... I for one am anxiously awaiting the Messiah's first Miracle ....

the only people i've ever heard call him a messiah are the republicans.

between that and "teleprompter gate", they have hit on just what is needed to fix the problems of the average american.

good work, goppers, good work. simply sterling, in fact.
Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 04:27 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM,

The right wingers I know call him the "Black Messiah"....fits right in with all the other snipings about minstrel shows, etc. They really are afraid of him and his popularity with the people. It is so transparent that they can only think of racially derisive terms. I also have friends that are former Republicans and they are astonished that Democrats are criticizing Obama! Zounds! One friend, a Democrat, told her former Republican friend, "you're a Democrat now and you have free speech!" Dang, I love it!