11
   

Class warfare and the Left

 
 
Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:11 pm
What is this new demagoguery by the Obama admin - and the left - of those who make more than $250 K a year?

The new thinking appears to be no one really needs to make more than this...

Some of the more 'reasonable' comments raise this figure to $500 K.

We've heard this in the comments from congress re the AIG bonuses, with Obama's tax plan, and in other dem policies.

I think this comes from the left's belief that there is no higher calling than govt service; they believe they are just as bright as any American business person, and think their gov salary should be just as attractive, perhaps?

You also see this with academics; university salaries blow compared to what one may earn in business.

So now we see class warfare on a level never experienced before in the US.

"Level the playing field." Nationalized banks and businesses, where the gov now apparently has a right to set salaries.

As the economy continues to crumble, should we anticipate price controls?

The dems won the election, but moderate dems are beginning to question their leadership.

Will the American people?
 
msolga
 
  3  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:16 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice

I'm not a US citizen, so I won't even attempt to speak specifically about the US context ..... but in my own country I get pretty tired of the constant references to "class warfare" or "the politics of envy" (generally from pretty well-off folk seeking to hold onto financial advantage, including government subsidies which support their particular interests) whenever any new government initiative attempts to address some very glaring differences in how people in the same country experience life.
I don't think it's OK that some people get second or third rate medical treatment because of their financial situation. I don't think it's OK that that bright students don't have the opportunity to continue their education because of impoverished family circumstances. I think any country which doesn't offer some support to these students is under-valuing a precious resource, to the detriment of the whole country. (Just to give you a couple of examples.)
So what is so terrible about the notion that everyone living in the same country is considered - & treated - as a valued part of that community, no matter what their financial status? What is wrong with treating poorer people with dignity & giving them some assistance when they need it? (For starters, you'd probably reduce the crime statistics in the ranks for the poor. And they are hardly likely to become wealthy as a result of a bit of government assistance!)That's got to be be good for the whole community!) And what exactly is wrong with treating everyone within the community as part of that community, rather than individuals only looking out for their own, particular advantage?

ps ... you think that (US) $250 K per year isn't very, very comfortable? Confused
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:30 am
@msolga,
Brava, msolga.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 06:46 am


A Lone Voice is not alone in his thinking.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 08:19 am
@msolga,
Thank msolga for saying it so must better then I could had.
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 08:23 am
eat the rich
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 08:57 am



msolga, I don't think it's OK for this nations policies to be dictated by the dumbmasses and the puppet they elected.
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 08:59 am
@H2O MAN,
well the dumbmasses are strictly in the eye of the beholder


parados
 
  3  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:02 am
@H2O MAN,
SO, you are against democracy?

Does that make you a communist?
parados
 
  2  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:11 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

What is this new demagoguery by the Obama admin - and the left - of those who make more than $250 K a year?

The new thinking appears to be no one really needs to make more than this...
The only thing new is that seems to be the new strawman you are arguing against. You can nowhere find anyone in the Obama admin saying this. You said it. You made it up out of whole cloth so you could make another ridiculous argument. Big Whoop.
Quote:

Some of the more 'reasonable' comments raise this figure to $500 K.

We've heard this in the comments from congress re the AIG bonuses, with Obama's tax plan, and in other dem policies.
Oh? Where do you hear that other than from the voices in your head? Do those same voices tell you to buy guns?
Quote:

I think this comes from the left's belief that there is no higher calling than govt service; they believe they are just as bright as any American business person, and think their gov salary should be just as attractive, perhaps?
It doesn't come from the left. It comes from your warped mind only.
Quote:

You also see this with academics; university salaries blow compared to what one may earn in business.
Universities are usually run by the government. Are you suggesting the government should pay over $1million for professors? Where do you propose the government will get the money to pay those salaries?
Quote:

So now we see class warfare on a level never experienced before in the US.
We are seeing the same stupidity we have always seen. You build a strawman and then argue against it.
Quote:

"Level the playing field." Nationalized banks and businesses, where the gov now apparently has a right to set salaries.
So.. let me get this straight. You don't think employers should set salaries? Who should set salaries then LV? When someone owns a business they get to decide what to pay employees in the system we have in the US.
Quote:

As the economy continues to crumble, should we anticipate price controls?
Price controls in a crumbling economy? What planet do you live on. When an economy crumbles, prices DROP. Are you saying the government will put in price floors? That is the OPPOSITE of what you were just whining about in restricting salaries.


Quote:

The dems won the election, but moderate dems are beginning to question their leadership.

Will the American people?
Not based on your arguments, they won't. They might question your sanity however.
BigTexN
 
  0  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:11 am
@msolga,
msolga -

Trillions of dollars to special interests that do nothing to help the economy but only $13 a week going to the average worker in America...

Obama's very own version of "LET THEM...(turn head)...EAT CAKE...(turn head)...!"

0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:11 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

well the dumbmasses are strictly in the eye of the beholder





We all know who they are... they're the ones with Obama stickers on their cars.
parados
 
  3  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:12 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:



A Lone Voice is not alone in his thinking.

No, he isn't alone in his lack of thinking. You are right there with him.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:12 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

SO, you are against democracy?

Does that make you a communist?


Our founding fathers were against democracy (mob rule) and so am I.
parados
 
  2  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:17 am
@H2O MAN,
Our founding fathers were for elected officials making the decisions.
Something you seem to be against.

Are you sure you aren't a communist?
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:32 am
@H2O MAN,
heard a lot of toothless yokels at mc cain/palin events, they exist on both sides of the aisle
H2O MAN
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:33 am
@djjd62,
Higher numbers of your toothless yokels populated the Liberal side.
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@parados,
parados wrote:



Are you sure you aren't a communist?


Are you looking for a communist friend?

You are looking in the wrong place comrade.
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@H2O MAN,
no liberal here friend, **** disturber party with socialist leanings
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  0  
Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:52 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Our founding fathers were for elected officials making the decisions.


Elected by tax paying land owners.
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Class warfare and the Left
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/06/2021 at 08:48:59