Should we retool our response to intimate relationship violence?

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:28 pm
Quote:
On blogs and social networking sites, teenagers are having an e-shouting match about this highly publicized episode " perhaps the first time their generation has been compelled to think aloud about dating violence.

And what may be surprising is the level of support for Mr. Brown. While thousands of teenagers have certainly turned on Mr. Brown, many others " regardless of race or gender " defend him, often at Rihanna’s expense.

In a recent survey of 200 teenagers by the Boston Public Health Commission, 46 percent said Rihanna was responsible for what happened; 52 percent said both bore responsibility, despite knowing that Rihanna’s injuries required hospital treatment. On a Facebook discussion, one girl wrote, “she probly ran into a door and was too embarrassed so blamed it on chris.”

This reaction has alarmed parents and professionals who work with teenagers, and Oprah Winfrey was prompted to address violence in teenage relationships on her show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/fashion/19brown.html?adxnnl=1&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1237521881-y4R1zqpJ9BuKZZ898sSpfQ

It is not just teens BTW, increasingly often adult women are refusing to deal with sexual trespass and violence in their relationships because they believe that all efforts to address the problem will result in unreasonable punishment of their mates. The teen response to the beating that Rihanna took does however bring up the question of just how badly has overreaching by the anti abuse lobby damaged long term attempts to work on the problem of intimate violence. Young people don't seem to take as serious the claim that violence in relationship equals abuse. Those who were successful in strengthening the laws and policing of relationship violence may have won the battle but lost the war, as winning would require passing down to the next generation the opinion about violence that the leaders of the generation currently in power have agreed to.

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
....the problem will result in unreasonable punishment of their mates.

There is no unreasonable punishment for a guy who physically abuses his
wife/girlfriend. Any man who physically abuses women should stand trial
and receive an appropriate sentence pertaining to the severity of the violation.

Incidentally, I have discussed the Brown/Rihanna abuse today with my
13 year old one, and stressed the fact again that violence - any violence
is not acceptable and should be reported immediately.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:58 pm
Quote:
Of the 200 Boston youths (ages 12 to 19) surveyed last month, 51 percent said Chris Brown was responsible for the incident, 46 percent said Rihanna was responsible and 52 percent said both were to blame; 52 percent said the media was treating Brown unfairly; 44 percent said fighting was a normal part of a relationship; and a “significant” number said “Rihanna was destroying Chris Brown’s career.” Women blamed Rihanna as much as men did.

we should have more study to see if these kinds of numbers hold up with that generation, and also to see what the adult opinion numbers are. Kids today have seen a lot of violence in relationships, so these numbers are not a shock. What would be is if they don't aspire to non violent relationships. I am no longer confident that this young generation does.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
There is no unreasonable punishment for a guy who physically abuses his wife/girlfriend.

I don't believe that you intended this as you wrote it, did you, CJ? For surely there is unreasonable punishment as opposed to reasonable punishment.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:18 pm
Quote:
The act of violence by singer Chris Brown against his girlfriend, the popular singer Rhianna, is a prime example. Both are under twenty-five, both are financially set, yet a pattern of violent behavior has been documented by both friends and co-workers of the two celebrities.

Relationship violence and sexual assault in this age group cuts across all genders, sexual orientation, and racial backgrounds. It is an accepted part of any teen couple's relationship and that is as disturbing as it is sad. The idea that a couple expects some type of abuse in their relationship is frightening. Where did this "it's okay" attitude come from?

In 2006, the American Journal of Public Health reported that over thirty percent of teens had experienced physical or emotional battering in their relationships. That percentage has risen twenty percent in the last two years. Violence is an accepted fact of life to these couples.

http://www.examiner.com/x-538-Relationship-Examiner~y2009m2d17-Violence-in-teen-relationships--increase-due-to-apathetic-acceptance

more evidence that this young generation has not agreed with the adult lectures on this issue
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:29 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I don't believe that you intended this as you wrote it, did you, CJ? For surely there is unreasonable punishment as opposed to reasonable punishment

putting him in jail, convicting him of a felony, so that he most likely losses his job (and thus family income) and making it difficult for him to get another one.....this is serous stuff to a woman who wants to fix the problem but whom is not willing to end the relationship. Where do we as a society get off telling these women that they should end the relationship (because we know better than they...of course...how they should live their lives), and that if they don't they need to choose between either putting up with the abuse or with all of the hell that comes after the family is put through the criminal Justice system???
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 02:53 am
Quote:
In a recent survey of 200 teenagers by the Boston Public Health Commission, 46 percent said Rihanna was responsible for what happened; 52 percent said both bore responsibility, despite knowing that Rihanna’s injuries required hospital treatment.
This only shows that many teenagers don't understand the difference between responsibility and contibuting circumstances. It's not surprising seeing as many adults don't understand the difference either.

...the teenagers understand that both more often than not contribute to the onset of violence, but don't understand that the decision to employ violence is solely the perpertrators decision/responsibility.

(I wonder what background the participants came from)

There are many reasons for not reporting domestic violence, including :
-social shame
-personal shame
-privacy
-fear
-financial reasons
-relationship reasons
-children
-low self esteem
-feelings of responsibility
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 03:56 am
@hawkeye10,
You seriously think this sort of reaction from teenagers warrants a "retooling of our response to intimate relationship violence", hawkeye? Confused You're kidding, surely. Seems to me you're grasping at straws, though heaven knows why.
The article makes it fairly clear that the teenage girls are discussing their perceptions of particular"celebrities" in this instance ... & siding which the one they like best. They appear to be excusing the perpetrator of violence because they happen to be "adoring fans" of his & don't seem to want to accept what he could actually do such a thing.:

Quote:
IN the hallway of Hostos-Lincoln Academy in the Bronx this week, two ninth-grade girls discussed the pop singer Chris Brown, 19, who faces two felony charges for allegedly beating his girlfriend, the pop singer Rihanna, 21. At first, neither girl had believed Mr. Brown, an endearing crooner, could have done such a thing.

“I thought she was lying, or that the tabloids were making it up,” one girl said.

Even after they saw a photo of Rihanna’s bloodied, bruised face, which had raced across the Internet, they still defended Mr. Brown. “She probably made him mad for him to react like that,” the other ninth grader said. “You know, like, bring it on?”

The girls agreed that Mr. Brown overreacted. According to court documents, the fight last month erupted after Rihanna read a text message to Mr. Brown from another woman. Mr. Brown, the affidavit said, then punched, bit and choked her.

Should he be punished? No, said the girls, whose names were withheld at the request of the school. After all, they said, Rihanna seemed to have reconciled with Mr. Brown.

“So he shouldn’t get into trouble if she doesn’t feel that way,” one girl said. “She probably feels bad that it was her fault, so she took him back.”

Her friend nodded. “I don’t think he’ll hit her like that again,” she said.

On blogs and social networking sites, teenagers are having an e-shouting match about this highly publicized episode " perhaps the first time their generation has been compelled to think aloud about dating violence.

And what may be surprising is the level of support for Mr. Brown. While thousands of teenagers have certainly turned on Mr. Brown, many others " regardless of race or gender " defend him, often at Rihanna’s expense.

In a recent survey of 200 teenagers by the Boston Public Health Commission, 46 percent said Rihanna was responsible for what happened; 52 percent said both bore responsibility, despite knowing that Rihanna’s injuries required hospital treatment. On a Facebook discussion, one girl wrote, “she probly ran into a door and was too embarrassed so blamed it on chris.”

This reaction has alarmed parents and professionals who work with teenagers, and Oprah Winfrey was prompted to address violence in teenage relationships on her show. Boys who condone Mr. Brown’s behavior disappoint, but don’t shock Marcyliena Morgan, executive director of Harvard’s hip-hop archive. “But it’s the girls!” she said. “Where have we gone wrong here?”

Underneath harsh, judgmental bravado, teenage girls themselves seem perplexed by the unfolding story, whipsawed by allegiance to their celebrities, fantasies about romantic relationships, and the terrifying mysteries of intimate violence " the savagery of the beating as well as the speed with which Rihanna apparently agreed to see him again.

Mimi Valdés Ryan, former editor in chief of Vibe magazine and the one who put Chris Brown on the cover in 2006, said the defense of him by so many young girls can be understood in part because they are adoring fans.

Even before this incident, Mr. Brown’s core fans didn’t like Rihanna, said Ms. Valdés Ryan, now editor in chief of Latina, a magazine for young women. “His posters are on the bedroom wall, the last face they see before they sleep,” she said. “They’re feeling, ‘Why is he with her, not with me?’

As word of the incident spread, girls could not believe he could wreak such violence, she said. After all, sweet Chris Breezy " his nickname " even appeared in a music video with Elmo of “Sesame Street.” Acknowledging his attack would make them feel vulnerable: How could they have a crush on someone who could do that? It was less terrifying to blame Rihanna....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/fashion/19brown.html?adxnnl=1&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1237521881-y4R1zqpJ9BuKZZ898sSpfQ
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 04:27 am
Remember, this is from Rapist Boy, who doesn't believe that there is such a thing as marital rape. Relying upon the opinions of teenagers to make his case doesn't surprise me in the least.

Quote:
Of the 200 Boston youths (ages 12 to 19) surveyed last month, 51 percent said Chris Brown was responsible for the incident, 46 percent said Rihanna was responsible and 52 percent said both were to blame; 52 percent said the media was treating Brown unfairly; 44 percent said fighting was a normal part of a relationship; and a “significant” number said “Rihanna was destroying Chris Brown’s career.” Women blamed Rihanna as much as men did. (emphasis added)

First, allow me to note that in referring to an age group of those from age 12 to age 19 as "men" and "women" is more than a little absurd--try "children." These numbers clearly show that the respondents are confused, especially in consideration of the portion i have highlighted. Once again, i am not surprised that this member uses the musings of teenagers about an incident between celebrities to make a case he would wish to further in any event. It is not sound reasoning, however, to rely upon the expressed opinions of a group which ranges to the pre-adolescent to the newly adult to make a case for good societal management.

I guess we can add beating the wife regularly, like a rug, to raping the nasty old cow if she won't put out voluntarily in a list of Hawkeye's marital values.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 04:37 am
Men who abuse women are sick, at the very least. But that is no cause to let them continue the practice. Whatever steps necessary ought to be employed. Women who submit to abuse also are sick. They generally will not help themselves for long periods of time, if ever. Which is why society intervenes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 05:05 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye

This is a huge hop, step & jump from the NYT article! I think you're choosing to see what you want to see.:

Quote:
It is not just teens BTW, increasingly often adult women are refusing to deal with sexual trespass and violence in their relationships because they believe that all efforts to address the problem will result in unreasonable punishment of their mates. The teen response to the beating that Rihanna took does however bring up the question of just how badly has overreaching by the anti abuse lobby damaged long term attempts to work on the problem of intimate violence. Young people don't seem to take as serious the claim that violence in relationship equals abuse. Those who were successful in strengthening the laws and policing of relationship violence may have won the battle but lost the war, as winning would require passing down to the next generation the opinion about violence that the leaders of the generation currently in power have agreed to.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 05:36 am
i agree with hawkeye, we should turn a blind eye to domestic abuse, but only in one circumstance, and that would be a case were hawkeye marries a chyna, former female wrestler, and she beats him half to death on a daily basis
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:00 am
@JTT,
JTT, I realize how it came across, yet it was in direct response to hawkeye
who thinks there should be no punishment at all: women should get out of
the relationship if they don't like it, is his take. He's expressed similar thoughts
when it came to marital rape, as Setanta already mentioned.

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 02:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
This is definitely a case of "consider the source."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 02:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
By the way, Lucy . . . i never mentioned how charming you look in the morning . . .
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 06:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
JTT, I realize how it came across, yet it was in direct response to hawkeye
who thinks there should be no punishment at all: women should get out of
the relationship if they don't like it, is his take. He's expressed similar thoughts
when it came to marital rape, as Setanta already mentioned.

I do indeed have an opinion on sex law, though not the one that you claim that I do. I any case I have no opinion in what to do about domestic violence, nor have I voiced an opinion. You claiming that I have is you seeing what you want to see. I ask a question, and I point out that the adults don't seem to have passed down to the next generation their opinions on domestic violence. This subject has nothing to do with me, saying as set does that the question is irrelevant because someone whom he does not like and who does not agree with him on the current state of sex law is the act of burying ones head in the sand. The smarter people amongst is with see through the game of avoidance of the topic. This is a topic for emotionally balanced and intelligent people who maintain the ability to talk about subjects that touch on societies taboos. Those who can't do that probably have nothing to contribute to the conversation.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 06:55 pm
@Setanta,
Why thank you! Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:05 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
This only shows that many teenagers don't understand the difference between responsibility and contibuting circumstances. It's not surprising seeing as many adults don't understand the difference either

Not necessarily, it could mean that the kids don't agree with the claim that there is a huge difference between what the adults call normal and fair conflict, and what the adults call abusive conflict. We are all free to draw the line where we think is correct, there is no way to force others to agree with were we have personally or as a society decided the line should be. Relationships normally contain conflict, those in which all conflict is avoided are some of the most unhealthy relationships around. Once we understand that then separating fair/unfair gets to be subjective, and up to each person to decide for themselves.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I any case I have no opinion in what to do about domestic violence, nor have I voiced an opinion.

This is a lie.

The title of this thread is "Should we retool our response to intimate violence?" The title of the article you linked is "Teenage Girls Stand by Their Man." Therefore, the title of this thread is inferentially your opinion--by inference, you suggest that society's response to what you are pleased to describe as "intimate violence" (as though there were a variety of violence which is strictly a private matter and not a matter of concern for society) ought to be reconsidered. That is not any part of the article, and it therefore cannot be anyone's opinion but your own. This paragraph:

Quote:
It is not just teens BTW, increasingly often adult women are refusing to deal with sexual trespass and violence in their relationships because they believe that all efforts to address the problem will result in unreasonable punishment of their mates. The teen response to the beating that Rihanna took does however bring up the question of just how badly has overreaching by the anti abuse lobby damaged long term attempts to work on the problem of intimate violence. Young people don't seem to take as serious the claim that violence in relationship equals abuse. Those who were successful in strengthening the laws and policing of relationship violence may have won the battle but lost the war, as winning would require passing down to the next generation the opinion about violence that the leaders of the generation currently in power have agreed to. (emphasis added)

. . . does not appear in the article, and can only be your own addition to the topic. Once again, by inference, you are suggesting that society's response to domestic violence ought to be reconsidered. Therefore, any claim that you have not "voiced" your opinion is bullshit.

Quote:
This subject has nothing to do with me, saying as set does that the question is irrelevant because someone whom he does not like and who does not agree with him on the current state of sex law is the act of burying ones head in the sand.

I did not state or imply that the question is irrelevant, i addressed the question directly by pointing out that the sample referred to (the data from Boston quoted in the linked article) comes from children, and that they are confused in their responses. Fifty-one percent blamed him, 46% blamed her, and 52% blamed them both--in case math is not your strong suit, that adds up to 149%. Since all responses in a survey can only add up to 100%, it is clear to anyone but the incredibly thick, or the wilfully disingenuous, that some respondents blamed both him and them both, and that some respondents blamed both her and them both, and that therefore, the responses indicate that many of the respondents were confused about responsibilty in this incident. I also pointed out that the people responding are all children. With an age range from 12 to 19 (which means everyone up to one day short of 20 years of age), that's an eight year span, with 75% of the ages being legally children, and the remaining 25% very likely children in terms of their personal maturity. I included in my response your well-known objection to the concept of marital rape and your opposition to age of consent laws--because you did express an opinion, and it is part and parcel with your other attitudes toward sex laws. This is clearly yet another instance of "consider the source." I am definitely not burying my head in the sand, because i reject your call to "retool" society's response to domestic violence, and consider your use of a term such as "intimate violence" to be beneath contempt. Don't bother to run out to find other sources who use the term, my response to it will not change just because there are other nut cases out there who can't call a spade a spade, and a crime a crime.

People who violently abuse their spouses and/or their children are people who have serious and very likely pathological problems in governing their tempers, and therefore clearly pose a threat to society. Society has a perfect right to deal with such people in a manner intended to lessen or prevent violent acts by such people. That pre-adolescents and teenagers are confused with this issue is a pretty pathetic excuse for your drivel suggesting that sex laws ought to be reconsidered. It is equally pathetic that you attempt to suggest that those who do not agree with you are unable to discuss social taboos. Sex laws, by the way, define crime, not taboos. What is most pathetic is yet another attempt on your part to claim that the laws by which society deals with sex and violence are a product of an unwillingness to face the truth. Everyone here is facing the truth, which is that physical violence always equals abuse, and that society has a perfect right not to tolerate such abuse.

Rapist Boy, you are a serious loser.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Conflict and violence are two entirely different matters. Not that i'd expect you to understand that.