18
   

Welcome Sports Haters!

 
 
aidan
 
  2  
Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 02:48 pm
@I Like 1981,
Quote:
Aidan, I know you didn't like my comment and I'm sorry if you took offence, but my time at high school pretty much sucked and I got mocked and held up for ridicule by many people who regarded themselves as superior to me for various reasons - not just playing sport. They liked to rant at me about how I'd never get a girlfriend and how my life would just be a sad, lonely and pathetic one.


I didn't take offense to it at all - and I do recognize that probably that does happen sometimes- I was just trying to reassure you that it wasn't and wouldn't always be the case with every girl.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 03:42 pm
@I Like 1981,
I Like 1981 wrote:
Hi David.
Hi, 1981. That WAS a good year.

1981 wrote:
Unfortunately I will not reveal my actual name on the internet.
If you wish to find out, just send me a private message or email me. For now, just call me i_like_1981.
You raise a good point in saying that I should move on from my
negative experiences and start filling my life with happier, more fulfilling activities.
Thank u.




1981 wrote:
However, I wish to inform you that at the moment I'm going
through a bit of a "downer" period. This is largely due to the fact
Winter is here and my only definite plans for Christmas are a visit
to my family on Christmas Day and a low-scale party for New Year
where I shall be meeting up with a few friends from work and
we'll be playing some old records.
Perhaps some of your time woud be well spent in deciding what 'd be necessary for u
to enjoy it more and then calculating how to make that happen,
or some of it anyway. "Failing to plan is planning to fail." Napoleon Hill





1981 wrote:
Yes, I have insisted that every song played there should come from the 60's, 70's or 80's. Nothing new.
I favor the 1950s.





1981 wrote:
I do try and busy myself with some interesting activities apart
from sitting round my place - I go to the pub for a drink every
once in a while and I also enjoy country walks during the summer and early autumn.
I prefer taxi cabs.




1981 wrote:
I do try to involve myself in some activities but my interest in entering an intimate relationship continues to fluctuate - sometimes I feel
the urge to go out and get to know some women, most of the time I don't feel this way and choose to stay out of this. I really can't see my romantic life receiving a real boost if I can't stick in one frame of mind.
If u wish, u can put yourself into a social situation of your choice and just let nature
take its course qua meeting new friends. Consciously identify what u like: maybe coin collecting,
computer expertise, singing, wine tasting, financial investment, baking, hot air ballooning, literature;
your limits r "those of the imagination" as Rod Serling used to say.
Join a group who is dedicated to that and be social. Do someone an unexpected valuable favor. See what happens.





1981 wrote:
And you're right, I do live in England. Are you serious about the dinner?
I think it is a joke. Don't mean any offence if it isn't.
I have invited some members of this forum to an exploration by my social club
of a lasanya restaurant at 8th Ave. & 20th St. in Manhattan next Tuesday nite.
U r welcome to attend; if u do, I 'll buy u a drink!
One of the attenders is your neighbor from England.


What do u think of the food in England ?






1981 wrote:
You do raise some good points, David, and you make a good person to talk to.
U r very kind.



1981 wrote:
My response is - I would try harder to be friendly if I felt I could be,
but my problem is, I let past experiences continue to haunt me
and affect the way I interact and present myself to people.
Bear in mind that the jocks abused u unjustly.
If, after the fact, u perpetuate the bad effects of their evil choices,
then u r helping them; thay 'd (misanthropically) approve of it.
U shud not help them. Thay r unworthy of your assistance in their endeavors against u.



1981 wrote:

As you may also have seen from my username and love of the Eighties,
I do very much live in the past and there is unfortunately no changing it.
When something happens to you, you can't really get rid of it completely. It lingers on in your mind.
U r invited to try the following:
TECHNIQUES FOR RELIEF OF PAIN

1 ) Instead of mentally pushing away the emotional pain
or guilt (as is the natural thing to do) EMBRACE IT
and with your mind,
try to make it hurt as bad as u possibly can.
Think of it like a bear hug. Let do its worst; make it do its worst.
Pain is not structured to be treated that way; it will vanish.

I have done that a couple of times about emotionally painful
memories and ideation; it worked great !

2 ) I saw this on TV:
A psychologist was treating 2 people with painful thoughts
so severe that thay were both considering suicide.
(A woman had been raped, and a guy had bad memories of combat.)

The psychologist did the following
to each of them:
thay each thought of what was bothering them,
while the doctor moved his fist (or another object)
from their hi left field of vu,
diagonally down to their low right (from the patient's perspective).
As thay continued to think of the painful ideas,
he kept moving his fist diagonally, as aforesaid.

Thay both reported, individually,
that thay had relief from each of their respective emotional miseries.

Try either of those; or both.
Thay don 't cost much.










1981 wrote:
When a person wrongs you, it makes you think that tiny bit less about people in general.
Then he has rendered u a valuable service if he has convinced u not to trust nor to rely upon anyone else.



1981 wrote:
You seem a friendly guy to talk to, David, but unfortunately not
everybody is that way. And many of the people I had to put up
with in my younger days did not want to listen to what I had to say.
Do not punish yourself for their errors.




1981 wrote:
That is why I generalise and stereotype a lot now, as I feel
sometimes things I say won't make any difference.
That 's true of all of us.



1981 wrote:

But I'll keep your words in mind and see if I can apply your advice in any real way to my life.
You speak the truth. Perhaps I should rise above the past.
But it will take time as it's become a defining characteristic of myself.
May the beauty of your life be exceeded only by your joy.

1981 wrote:
Best regards,
i_like_1981
Likewise.





David
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
I DO like gunnery practice,
so I dunno if I qualify as a sports hater.
I Like 1981
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't really know... apart from aiming and moving round to get a better shot at your target, you're not really doing much by shooting a gun. A machine is doing all the work for you... but then again, some of these guns can be quite heavy and it requires a combination of accuracy and coordination so it is rather demanding. I would say it did qualify as a sport, but unlike most sports, it's not televised and overhyped and you don't get tons of people crowding the streets and going mad after their gunning team didn't hit as many targets as the opposing team! That's what's best about it. It's a sport that you have to do instead of just watch to truly understand it. I hate armchair sports fans who sit in front of the TV all Saturday and Sunday and seem to think they themselves have accomplished something just because their team won, or treating it like their life has gone down their toilet should their team (un)fortunately lose. Living through the accomplishments of others, people you will never even meet, is nothing to be proud of. But try telling that to these fat-ass losers who get all high and mighty when their group of gays running round in shorts are victorious! "WE RULE! WE RULE!" Begging their pardon, but who is this "we"? Watching a game on a TV from possibly hundreds of miles away does not mean you are part of the team! Soccer World Cup next year... we're going to be getting a lot of that stuff over here in England. The whole country is going to revolve around eleven men poncing round on a ball for 90 minutes at a time and the press will turn their defeat into more shocking news than the credit crunch we're going through at the moment! Well, to conclude, if it'll stop these people being so dependent on their damn teams and acting like they make any difference whatsoever to the outcome of the games, I hope "we" lose!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
I Like 1981
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:18 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I didn't take offense to it at all - and I do recognize that probably that does happen sometimes- I was just trying to reassure you that it wasn't and wouldn't always be the case with every girl.


Point understood. Glad you are not upset.

I think I have done all I need to do on this thread... there's not much more you need to know about me. Basically, I am a person who does not like sports due to the experiences I had during my high school years which mainly were bad and revolved around bullying in PE. I know for a fact that PE is the source of most bullying in schools - not all of it, but it is a male tendency to be competitive and an urge to be the best and in efforts to become "top dog", males are prepared to exact fear and domination over their weaker cohorts in order to look tough and feel a sense of internal superiority. As a person who was not interested in sports or competing to be the best, I seemed the perfect target for my social superiors to unleash their anger on and belittle for their own ends. As a result of this, I have unfortunately been driven to believe nearly all athletes are bad people to some extent and I have become bitter and withdrawn whenever sports are mentioned in any conversations I hear or am even involved in. This continues to happen over a decade since my last PE lesson - some scars never heal. I really can't say when I'll be able to be completely tolerant of sports and stop taking my anger out on all athletes for the bad ways of those I encountered in my younger years. But eventually it'll fade away. I'm sure it will.

Any other questions for me... well, ask them here, or send me an email. I'd like to hear from you. We could have a fun chat. There's more I'd want to say but some of which I'd rather keep to myself. We all have stuff we'd rather keep quiet about and in my case, that is a lot. But I'm sure I could trust you lot. You seem like good, tolerant people, minus a few of the flamers this thread has had in past pages. But I don't see them about any more. Oh well... I guess the burgers don't flip themselves.

Q. What do you say to a jock with a job?
A. I'll have a Big Mac and fries please!

Enjoy yourselves and I'll speak to you again sometime.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:06 pm
@I Like 1981,
Quote:
I don't really know... apart from aiming and moving round to get
a better shot at your target, you're not really doing much by
shooting a gun. A machine is doing all the work for you...
but then again, some of these guns can be quite heavy and
it requires a combination of accuracy and coordination so it is
rather demanding.
Thomas Jefferson believed that it built character, as well as safety.
He wrote to his 12 year old nephew, cautioning him always
to take his gun with him when he went out for a walk
and to practice with it for proficiency.




Quote:

I would say it did qualify as a sport, but unlike most sports,
it's not televised and overhyped and you don't get tons of people
crowding the streets and going mad after their gunning team
didn't hit as many targets as the opposing team! That's what's best about it.
I woud venture to guess that no gunnery jock
has ever bullied u, nor tried to shame u. I don 't know, but I suspect
that the girl who headbutted u probably was not a gunner.





Quote:

It's a sport that you have to do instead of just watch to truly
understand it. I hate armchair sports fans who sit in front of
the TV all Saturday and Sunday and seem to think they themselves
have accomplished something just because their team won, or
treating it like their life has gone down their toilet should their
team (un)fortunately lose.
When our local teams have won, the police have thrown me off the road several times,
requiring detours. I resented that.




Quote:

Living through the accomplishments of others, people you will
never even meet, is nothing to be proud of. But try telling that
to these fat-ass losers who get all high and mighty when their
group of gays running round in shorts are victorious! "WE RULE! WE RULE!"
Begging their pardon, but who is this "we"?
I don t think that thay r very good logicians, 1981.
Thay just emote.



Quote:

Watching a game on a TV from possibly hundreds of miles away
does not mean you are part of the team! Soccer World Cup next year...
we're going to be getting a lot of that stuff over here in England.
The whole country is going to revolve around eleven men poncing
round on a ball for 90 minutes at a time and the press will turn
their defeat into more shocking news than the credit crunch
we're going through at the moment!
Y not apply that time to something useful, like proficiency in baking or to becoming a fine pastry chef ?



Quote:

Well, to conclude, if it'll stop these people being so dependent
on their damn teams and acting like they make any difference
whatsoever to the outcome of the games, I hope "we" lose!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Yeah, when our local teams lose, the police do not throw me off the road,
unless the weather is bad enuf.





David
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:08 pm

P.S.: I like your big Mac jock joke.



David
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  0  
Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:37 am
Just came back to review this thread after a long absence, and man - it sure has attracted some pathetic ******* people.

Cycloptichorn
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Pathetic in what way? Please give specifics.
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:47 pm
@wmwcjr,
Maybe he 's a jock.
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
But why should that make any difference? We're all capable of being reasonable. At least I'd like to believe that.
0 Replies
 
I Like 1981
 
  0  
Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:12 am
Well, it seems the flamers are back. And wmwcjr, David, don't expect any valid arguments or real challenges out of this guy. Don't even expect anything that requires the use of two brain cells. After all, he's a sports fan!

What on earth has happened, Cycloptichorn? What brings you here? Feeling a bit down after being laid off by McDonalds and decide you need to vent out some anger on those who you consider to be weak? Idiot. I know how much you wanted to say my name when you mentioned "******* pathetic people" but you chickened out of it being the pussy jock you are because you're too scared to enter into a real argument with me. I wonder why that is? Well, I guess die-hard sports fans don't make for good debating. You really should come over to sportssuck.org and see some of the brilliant, worthwhile contributions your fellow jocks have made. I mean it, you really do raise some good points. Like "how are you supposed to get girls if your not out playing the sports?" followed up by "without sports there'd just be a bunch of gay nerds running round and touching each other?" Someone actually said that, you know. I didn't make that up. Do you know how ironic it is to hear a ******* FOOTBALL PLAYER accusing people of running round and touching each other? Quite possibly the most homoerotic sport on earth with all those buff men in tights grabbing and toughing each other over a penis-shaped object? You jocks are so blind to your own faults you try and use them against us, calling us "gay" even though we don't seem to pursue this fanatic obsession of wearing other men's shirts and not just touching each other during football, but also WATCHING men touching each other on TV! I pity you jocks. I pity any woman dumb enough to marry you. You may consider me "pathetic" but at least I can see my own faults. Being able to do that allows you to work at your weaknesses and develop as a person - I may not try it, but I know it, and I'm ready to start doing it when I feel. But hell, perhaps in 2010. I'm done for this decade.

I don't expect you'll have anything to say back to me, Cycloptichorn, unless that insult is merely here to incite an argument and our responses are going to feed your own defences and you actually are going to raise some interesting points about why we're so wrong to dislike sports. Although I suppose if you had anything real to say you would have done it in your initial post. I'm guessing you won't be back to respond. If you want to insult me, do it to my face - don't just hide behind the veil of generalisation with the word "people". Name names. If you're going to start fights, at least be direct to the person you want to fight! I think you're just a coward.

Get bent.

(No) regards,
i_like_1981
Cycloptichorn
 
  0  
Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:09 pm
@I Like 1981,
Quote:
Well, it seems the flamers are back. And wmwcjr, David, don't expect any valid arguments or real challenges out of this guy. Don't even expect anything that requires the use of two brain cells. After all, he's a sports fan!


What a joke. I've been posting on this site for years and will answer any challenge for an argument, sir; and yes, I am a sports fan. The fact that you equate being a sports fan with unintelligence is merely indicative of a problem on your part; your childish jibes mean nothing to me.

Quote:

What on earth has happened, Cycloptichorn? What brings you here? Feeling a bit down after being laid off by McDonalds and decide you need to vent out some anger on those who you consider to be weak? Idiot. I know how much you wanted to say my name when you mentioned "******* pathetic people" but you chickened out of it being the pussy jock you are because you're too scared to enter into a real argument with me.


I didn't say your name because I was referring to the whole lot of you pathetic ******* people. I can specifically say it if you like: you are ******* pathetic, 1981. You are.

You didn't bother to read the thread at all, either, or you would have seen many posts by me on this subject already. But, just to recap and save you the trouble: I wasn't a jock. I played Dungeons and Dragons in High school and did Academic Decathalon. I was in debate and theater. I didn't participate in sports other than a year in swimming. So you're off base from the start, chief. I would avoid assuming things about people without asking first, in conversations on the internet. You'll look like less of an ass that way.

Quote:

I don't expect you'll have anything to say back to me, Cycloptichorn, unless that insult is merely here to incite an argument and our responses are going to feed your own defences and you actually are going to raise some interesting points about why we're so wrong to dislike sports.


Rather than respond to the rest of your pathetic crap - most of which is ranting about other people, I have no idea why you think it's my responsibility or duty to have any opinion on comments left by anonymous people on other websites - I thought I would skip right to the important part. It's not that I think you guys are wrong to dislike sports - that's a personal opinion, and even though I don't share that dislike, people are different and can like or dislike whatever they like. No big deal there. The problem is twofold:

1st, you blame other people for YOUR ******* problems. You think you were the only one who was picked on in high school? Lots of people were. Get over it, pussy. You obviously have a giant chip on your shoulder about the fact that you couldn't stand up for yourself when bullies were giving you a hard time. That's a part of life, pal, and to declare that 'sports suck' because you are bad at playing them and had some negative experiences when you were a youngster is indicative of a failing on your part, not a problem with sporting activity.

2nd, you stereotype and insult 'jocks' and sports enthusiasts exactly as much as you and others previously claimed was done to you. It is deliciously ironic to read; you have mirrored the behaviors of those who you claim to disdain. I wonder if you even realize that you are doing it.

Your attempts at insulting me are as pathetic as your stories of how other people ruined your life. I wonder if you even have any clue whatsoever what real hardship is or what other people have had to go through. Somehow I doubt it. You sound like a spoiled little brat, still holding a grudge after all this time that people weren't nice to you. As I said earlier; get over it and stop sounding like such a ******* loser. Do you honestly think the attitude you have displayed in this thread is attractive, or something that anyone would admire?

It brings to mind a fight that I got in in high school, where - as you might be able to guess - my friends and I were picked on by football players for being nerds. We were talking about computers or something and one of them thought it would be funny to dump a slurpie down the back of my jacket and push us or call us names. They were big and there was nothing I could do about it. I was walking back to class after lunch, clothes soaked, trying not to cry because I didn't want anyone to see how ashamed I was. I had a lot of the same thoughts going through my head as you are displaying in this thread, a lot of anger. I was surprised when someone tapped me on the shoulder and it was a couple other guys on the football team who had saw and felt bad about it. They gave me an extra shirt and a jacket to wear for the day and ended up telling the coach, who punished the football players who did it. I realized that I had been wrong for stereotyping the group as a whole. It was a growing moment for me.

The real key to the story was when in college, I ended up tutoring two of the same guys who were roughing us up in chemistry and physics. They didn't even remember who I was until I reminded them, both were ashamed of their behavior. But instead of holding a grudge - like some ******* pathetic people do, 1981 - I helped them to learn the subjects. And we are still friends today, one of them plays in the NFL and he donates more to charity (in terms of money and time) then you have probably ever made in your life.


To wrap it up, and just so we're clear: the things you have written here are ******* pathetic and they make me sad for you. I have nothing to argue about or defend to you, because I couldn't give a **** what a bunch of people who have such obvious problems think about me or anyone else.

Do yourself a favor: get over it and move on with your life.

Cycloptichorn
I Like 1981
 
  0  
Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 03:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
All right sir, please don't be so cruel to me. Whatever will I do?

I just presumed from your incredibly brief yet aggressive post in this topic that you were one of the jocks attacking us lot for having a different opinion on sports mania. Perhaps if you'd made your real game here clear in that post I wouldn't have delivered such a negative, stereotypical response. That was your introduction to me - my first impression of you. I've not read any of your other posts on this thread so how the **** was I to deduce from that single post that you were ready to make a proper argument with me? Please, get over yourself. I probably should have read the rest of the thread beforehand but hell, I don't think I'd have been aware to pay particular attention to your posts until now.

You say how you don't care that I dislike sports. Well you obviously do based on your aggressive answer. You seem to think I'm morally wrong for hating sports based on personal experiences. So what?!!??! I think sports are ****, doesn't mean everyone else has to think the same as me. That's my opinion. Why does it offend you so much? I'm just an insignificant person, a lone man whose beliefs and thoughts do not matter much to the rest of the world. Why does it eat you up so much what I do in my life? Yes perhaps I should have been a bit more defensive and helped myself more when I was being picked on but I didn't react to it very well. You might have been stronger or bigger than I was at my age - I didn't have very much self-confidence and was rather skinny. Did you ever think people may have different reactions to bullying? You may well have fought back when you were being picked on. You are the defensive kind. I tried not to in order to prevent more arguments. We're not all the same underneath; so stop demanding that everyone act it. I know that other people have been through worse than I have and I feel very sorry for them. But why can't I be entitled to moan at my own hardships? Since when did I ever compare my comparatively insignificant hardships to theirs? I am speaking up about my own life and not trying to say how I got it worse than everyone else in the world. I'm more than entitled to complain at some of the treatment I got - I probably had it worse than anyone else in my school did. I don't know what happens in other schools. People did and still do get it worse than me but how can I be expected to know about their stories? You treat it like I make myself out to be the unluckiest guy in the world and how everyone should feel sorry for me. Perhaps I do sometimes, but this is a thread relating to the negative side of sports and jock culture so don't get too shocked to see me stereotyping and blowing things out of proportion a bit. Notice the words "sports haters" in the topic title? If you hate us so much and what we're saying, don't bother coming. I never asked you to.

And what makes jocks so ******* above criticism? What gives them the damn right to push people around and not have a bad word said about them? You have every right to be angry at them. I read your story and I noticed how the jocks apologised to you after they tipped the slurpie down your back. They may have been forgiving and therefore you were convinced not to keep stereotyping them and to forgive. Well nobody ever did that for me. Nobody ever came and said sorry to me. They gave me more and more **** and this continued right till the end of my compulsory education at 16. This is what convinced me to stereotype and insult jocks like they did to me and it's what continues to get on my nerves today, I know. Not all of our bullies were so lenient, you know. You don't know me and what I had to go through, so please stop insisting that I share the same thoughts as you. Nobody ever showed any remorse for what they did to me - they may have earned your forgiveness but all they did for me was earn more and more of my contempt and didn't give a damn. I have no reason to show any respect for anyone of their kind. In fact, I am well with my right to return the insulting, stereotypical comments to them. Ever hear the saying "An eye for an eye"?

In conclusion, stop trying to get me to like jocks and sports and let me live my own life. Believe it or not, I don't go round the internet bitching about just how much I hate sports and how jocks bullied me all the time. I have other things to talk about in other topics. But this is a thread where people can share their stories and bad experiences with sports so I am just making my contributions here. Get over yourself. Accept that this is a thread for sports HATERS and learn to live with my depressing comments, because this is the thread where they belong. Deal with it.

Have a nice day,
i_like_1981
wmwcjr
 
  3  
Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I feel compelled to make the following comments because they have a bearing upon issues of contention in a PUBLIC thread.

I will say this in i_like_1981’s defense: Instead of addressing specific comments made by any of us to show us where we might be wrong, you attacked us personally. Instead of initiating a dialogue, you insult us. Personal insults never win an argument.

Your comments about being bullied were interesting. I’m glad that several other members of the football team were appalled by their teammates’ pathetic conduct and that the coach punished the guilty players. I honor those players and their coach. But in your rush to denigrate guys who object to having been bullied by football players or other “jocks” in school, did you ever stop to think that you possibly might have a different view yourself if there had NOT been a happy outcome to this incident? Do you honestly believe that every high-school nerd who is bullied by football players has the benefit of other players who stick up for him? I dare say that for whatever reason this is not the norm at most high schools in this country. Perhaps if none of the other players had shown any kindness to you, you would be as bitter as i_like_1981. Instead of pronouncing judgment on people you don’t even know, try putting yourself in the other guy’s shoes.

You don’t seem to realize how unjust the bullying can be. Two years ago I joined a health club to start a bodybuilding program. I soon learned that a guy on a bodybuilding program must have a surplus of calories in order to promote muscular development, specifically to repair muscle tissue at night while sleeping. The problem is that individual people have different metabolisms, which is something that is beyond their control. In other words, some guy’s bodies burn up calories at a faster rate, which makes bodybuilding extremely difficult for them. Ever wonder why some people can pig out but hardly put on any weight while others have a real problem with gaining weight and have to watch what they eat? Well, that’s the reason why. So, the high-school jock who picks on the scrawny nerd simply for being scrawny instead of muscular is unjustly picking on him for something that he can hardly do anything about.

You tell i_like_1981 that he’s a spoiled brat who knows nothing about real suffering. Let me tell you about a personal friend of mine (age 58) who has been well-acquainted with real suffering, much of which I won’t even mention here. When he was four years old, he was in a car wreck that resulted in permanent injury to one of his knees so that he was never able to run and could walk with only a limp. Despite his physical disability, he was forced to take P.E. anyway! Common sense should have dictated that he be exempted from having to take P.E. because he had a physical disability. He was bullied for years by athlete classmates who apparently had no sense of injustice about picking on someone with a physical disability. One of his coaches enjoyed humiliating him in front of the whole class and once slammed a basketball into his stomach, knocking the air out of him. No one -- I repeat, no one -- ever stuck up for him.

When he was in high school, several of the athletes who were pushing drugs tried to get him to start taking drugs; so, at the urging of a school counselor, he turned them in to the police. The bullying got even worse, as friends of the drug-dealing players (fellow players) exacted revenge, which included the destruction of personal property. My friend eventually had a nervous breakdown and was incarcerated in a state mental institution, where he (along with other inmates) was beaten by attendants. Eventually my friend was raped by a pedophile in the mental institution, another inmate who was a muscular man in his 40s. My friend never received treatment for this trauma because the mental health profession at that time did not believe that men got raped. As a result, my friend’s sexual desire was totally repressed by the trauma of being raped by a pervert. He never had any desire to be sexually active since, and today is a 58-year-old virgin who never got married. Laugh if you will. Would you call my friend a spoiled brat too?

Speaking of physically impaired boys of the “Baby Boom” generation who were forced to take sports-centered P.E. (which, incidentally, did nothing to promote physical fitness for the kids who were the most unfit), another friend of mine was born with a defect in one of his eyes that left him without depth perception. He too was bullied by “jocks” in school who seemed to be too dense to realize how unjust they were. One day in high school he finally retaliated against one of his tormentors and, incidentally, cleaned his clock in the locker room. But guess who the coach punished? Why, my friend, who had been bullied for years, of course! The tormentor was not punished because, after all, he was an athlete. I guess you would call this friend of mine a spoiled brat as well.

What is also rather interesting about what these two friends of mine went through is that the ONLY classmates who ever bullied them were “jocks.” No one else bullied them. My friend with the vision defect did say that one of the football players was a scholar who was decent. But my friend said that most of the “jocks” he actually had contact with in school were bad news.

Needless to say, these two friends of mine are not exactly sports fans. I guess you would fault them for not being sports fans. You seem disinclined to show them any understanding. If you are not disturbed by what happened to these guys when they were in high school, then you have a heart of stone.
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:48 am
@wmwcjr,
Yeah, I know. I've replied to my own post so you, Cyclo, will read my posts in the order in which I've intended you to read them.

wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:09 am
@wmwcjr,
Aw, I messed up. Now I've got it.

This is the very last reply I’m ever going to post at this website. I’ve had enough of this nonsense. I’m sick and tired of people whose only response to people with whom they disagree is to insult them. My life does not revolve around the family PC. I’m going to get some comments off my chest, then that will be it. I’m burning bridges. I couldn’t care less if I’m banned.

First, Cyclo, if you want to brag about football playing friends, I’ll just say that I have several close friends who played football in high school, one of whom even played university football and was a captain of his team. I even once gave a sizable monetary contribution to the election campaign of a former college football player who was running for Congress. He was a really nice guy. I supported him BECAUSE HE WAS A FOOTBALL PLAYER who happened to agree with my political views at the time. So, you can’t accuse me of being a bigot, although you clearly are bigoted towards those of us who don’t like sports.

And now another account of bullying. A friend of mine who graduated from high school the same year I did in the same district told me the following two years ago. For the record, my friend was not a nerd. He was actually cool, a tough guy who could be mischievous without being malicious. He told me that at his high school, a predominantly white school he once called “a redneck school,” bullying by football players was rampant. None of the coaches or the principal cared. (My friend’s words, not mine.) When he was an underclassman, one of the seniors on the football team came along as he was messing with his locker in the hallway between classes and deliberately SLAMMED the door of his locker on one of his hands as hard as he could, even though my friend had never done anything or even spoken to him. The nurse told my friend that he was lucky that he had not suffered any bone fraction in his hand. He had to wear a cast on his hand for two weeks, which was the hand he wrote with. Even though my friend identified him, the player was never disciplined.

He told me that one of the players, whom I had actually admired as a junior high classmate, regularly tormented a MENTALLY RETARDED student, which offense earned him only a few days’ suspension from school. (Big deal. He probably enjoyed the vacation.) He bullied a student who was not only weak, but was also retarded. Two strikes against the victim. Yet there was no revulsion by most of the other students against what he did because, after all, the bully was a football player.

My friend also told me about the curious case of a quiet, shy girl who had transferred to the high school during their senior year. One of the football players, who had a particularly notorious reputation, started dating her. Soon there were rumors that she had been raped by the player. My friend said that a patrol car had been seen in front of her family’s home. They moved out of the neighborhood IMMEDIATELY. I mean in less than 24 hours. Perhaps the reason why she did not press charges was because the player was a star athlete who would be playing football at one of the leading universities in this state. I’m not saying that a rape DID take place; but I can see that if she had been assaulted, no one would have cared. What chance would she have gotten in court? It would have been his word against hers, and the jury no doubt would have been stacked with football fans.

Cyclo, I’m struck by the outright hatred that you have directed against i_like_1981. Your reaction is so vehement that one would think that 1981 had said something totally despicable such as supporting the 9/11 terrorists or advocating sex with children. But what did 1981 say? He said that he didn’t like … football players. Oh, wow. Big deal.

I know that some sports fans are reasonable people, but you and kuvasz clearly are not. I’ve noticed that lovers of chess, classical music, or just about any other interest don’t mind if people don’t share their enthusiasm. So, why the extreme reaction from people like Cyclo? Simply because sports are a religion to these people. Any critical observation about any negative attitude or action connected with sports is viewed as blasphemy by these people. The sports critic is an infidel. We live in a society in which just about any institution -- big business, big labor, politicians, churches, schools -- is subjected to critical evaluation. But not sports. Oh, no. Not sports. Nothing is supposedly wrong in the world of sports. Sports are sacred. They’re squeaky clean.

In one of your early posts in this thread, you spoke of athletes as if they are a master race and you even envisioned breeding human beings. Sorry, but this “Progressive” idea of yours was already done by Adolf Hitler.

Incidentally, before I go on, Cyclo and kuvasz have actually given life to this thread, which I’m sure they would have deleted if they could. That’s what’s so hilarious. I had assumed that the thread would die. Then Cyclo and kuvasz rushed back like bulls into a china shop to be the big, bold sports fans they are and pick on Chai2 simply because she didn’t fall down at the altar of sports in a worshipful pose. Kuvasz also subjected Chai2 to psychoanalysis online, despite the fact that he’s never met her. I wonder if the APA has heard of this amazing supernatural ability.

When I first read your comments about how wonderful sports were and how terrible and despicable people such as Chai2 and myself are for not sharing your enthusiasm, I was reminded of white Southern conservative rednecks, who would be expected to make such comments. Then I checked the listing of yours and kuvasz’ posts. Wow, was I amazed. You’re not Southern conservative rednecks at all. You’re trendy, permissive, “anything goes,” Kumbaya, “war is not nice” liberal “Progressives”! There’s a major disconnect here. I thought liberals were supposed to be tolerant and stood up for people with unpopular views. You rush into this thread with all the fervor of someone reacting to a vicious racist attack upon some beleaguered minority group. But what you’re rushing to defend is … (now get this) sports.

Your reaction is actually quite conservative. (Sorry, David. I mean socially conservative, not Constitutionally conservative.) Are sports threatened in any way? Are high-school athletes such as football players subjected to discrimination? Do they experience rejection in any way? Are they denied equal opportunities? Give me a break!

Incidentally, what do many of the great football coaches (including some who are no longer with us) -- Joe Paterno, Bill McCartney, Tom Osborne, Woody Hayes, Darrell Royal, Paul “Bear” Bryant -- all have in common? They’re all POLITICALLY CONSERVATIVE! So, what are you and kuvasz doing supporting this “Progressive” brand of politics? You should drop your sissy liberal politics and join the Republican Party. Come on, boy, get with the program! The hatred that you have for people like me and 1981 shows the extent of your intolerance. So much for your professed liberalism. At the same time you mindlessly support same-sex marriage (which even the ancient Greeks did not envision), you probably would tell any boy who doesn’t like sports that he’s a fag.

Sorry, but all is not well in the world of football. There was an article in New Times magazine in 1975 that opened my eyes. I had wondered what was wrong with the sports media. In July of 1974 an 18-year-old girl claimed that six football players at a prominent university that I've chosen not to name had gang raped her. There was brief mention in the media about this incident, then the furor quickly died down. The New Times article, which was written by an alumnus of that university who had majored in journalism, presented some interesting facts. The president of the university hypocritically staged a cover-up of this scandal at about the same time he had denounced the Nixon administration for staging a cover-up in the Watergate scandal. He reportedly said, “I don’t need to talk to the girl. I talked to the boys.” Sure doesn’t sound like he really wanted to find out what had happened, does it? I know that lie detector tests are not always accurate, but I would have subjected both the accused and the accuser to lie detector tests. The author of the article mentioned some claims that were never reported by the sports media, which really isn’t a journalistic institution but really is nothing more and nothing less than a propaganda mill whose purpose is to turn just about everyone into sports fans. The girl claimed that a friend of hers had been impregnated by one of the players, who would not give her friend money for an abortion. So, the girl threatened to rat on the player to the university if he did not give her friend abortion money, which he did. Some time later she was dating one of the players, who invited her into the athletic dorm, where they had consensual sex. He excused himself out of the dorm room, leaving her there. Then the player whom she had blackmailed showed up almost immediately (coincidence, perhaps?) and told her that if she didn’t submit to him, that he would push her out the dorm window, which was three stories high. After he had his way with her, four more players came in and did the same. She claimed that there were nine penetrations.

I’m not saying that a rape definitely took place, because I have no tangible proof and I wasn’t there. But these claims would provide a motive for a gang rape other than just lust, and that would be revenge for the blackmail. These claims could have been checked by the university, but they weren’t. The news article about this scandal was buried (wonder why) in the local paper instead of featured on the headline page. The girl, who spent two days in a mental institution, eventually decided to not press charges, especially after she started receiving death threats. If she had pressed charges, she would have lost anyway because the accused were star players. The author of the article claimed that some of the university's football fans were actually indifferent as to whether a gang rape had occurred or not. They were only concerned about having a winning season.

The six players were suspended for a year. That same year another student who wasn’t a football player was EXPELLED from the university from having consensual sex in his dorm room. Double standard, you see. Five of the six returned; the other went to a college or another university. One of the five was awarded the Lombardi Award in 1978, no questions asked. Three of the five went on to play professional football, no questions asked. The cover-up had succeeded, thanks to the complicity of the sports media and the approval of many of the university football fans. Surely there have been similar cover-ups at other universities.

Cyclo, I don’t hate you; and I wish you well. But you’re easily one of the biggest jerks I’ve ever met online; and I say, “So long!” I think you would find that some of the other members of this forum feel the same way about you. I understand that you just got married. If you have a son, I sure hope he participates in sports, because I’m sure you would make his life miserable if he chose nonathletic pursuits above sports. Now, if you end up having a nonathletic son and an athletic son, I wonder if you might just be a little more partial to one at the expense of the other.

I gotta hand it to you. You truly are a male cheerleader. You should don a wig, a tight-fitting blouse, and a short skirt.

And be sure to shave your legs.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:24 am
@wmwcjr,
Well said, Bill!

U 've demonstrated your points most cogently.



David
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks, David.
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:45 am
@wmwcjr,
Ahhhhhh, I just figured out how to use the "ignore user" feature. No more posts by Cyclo and kuvasz. It's a very pleasant feeling. Aw, but I probably won't stay anyway.
 

Related Topics

Should cheerleading be a sport? - Discussion by joefromchicago
Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009? - Discussion by realjohnboy
tennis grip - Question by madalina
How much faster could Usain Bolt have gone? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Sochi Olympics a Resounding Success - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2017 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/20/2017 at 10:33:16