Welcome Sports Haters!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 03:21 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Thanks for the compliment. I hope I won't disappoint or bore you with more posts.

Regarding your observation as a libertarian that totalitarianism is an assault on individuality, you might be interested to learn that Lenin and Hitler attacked the very notion of the conscience of the individual. Lenin completely dismissed the concept of conscience (and morality) as a "bourgeoisie" invention. Addressing an assembly of SS officers (if I remember correctly who the audience was), Hitler said, "Let me liberate you from the chimera of conscience." In this country during the Vietnam War, conscientious objectors whose religious convictions were not in doubt were exempted from the draft. In Nazi Germany all conscientious objectors, including Jehovah's Witnesses, were executed. I'm sure the record is the same for Communist regimes.
Thank u for that information; it is certainly not boring.
We r fortunate to live in (relative) freedom.

May we know your first name ?

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sure. Just call me Bill. I've never let anyone call me William. Sounds stuck up.

Since we’ve been discussing totalitarianism in a sports-related thread, I must relate the following incident. When I first learned as a high school student about the Holocaust, a particular question immediately arose in my mind; and that was, during our nation’s participation in World War II, were those of our Jewish servicemen fighting in Europe at risk of becoming casualties of the Holocaust? As I learned years later, the answer was most definitely. Although the number is very small compared to the numbers of Jews killed in European countries and territories occupied by the Nazis, the Holocaust did claim the lives of several hundred American Jews. I don't remember the exact figure. Many of them just happened to be visiting certain countries in Europe either conducting business or visiting relatives back in “the old country” when they were stranded there by military invasion. Their U.S. citizenship did not protect them. They were rounded up with the native Jews.

During the early 1980s, there was a pharmacy near our home that I frequently patronized before it eventually closed down. I was making a purchase there one day, and was chatting with the lady behind the cash register, who was old enough to be of my parents’ generation. This was the only time I happened to see her at the pharmacy. She told me that she had a brother who was a World War II veteran who had served in Europe, where he was captured by German soldiers. She told me that he was incarcerated in a concentration camp. I responded by saying, “You mean a prisoner of war camp, don’t you?” She replied, “No, a concentration camp.” I don’t know why, but I didn’t think to ask her if her family were Jewish. I have no doubt that they were, though. Years later a member of my congregation told me that he personally knew a Jewish World War II veteran who had spent time in a Nazi concentration camp. I assume that this veteran was this pharmacy clerk’s brother.

When her brother departed this country for Nazi-occupied Europe, he was in top shape physically and had a powerful physique. She told me that he had been an athlete in high school. I’m assuming that he had played football. (You know how crazy Texans are about football. I don’t happen to share their enthusiasm.) Fortunately, the concentration camp where he had been incarcerated was liberated; and he was flown back to the U.S. Upon his return the members of their family were shocked at his condition. He was emaciated. Just the expression on his face revealed that he had been traumatized. He had been deliberately starved and possibly had been subjected to other forms of torture as well. I didn’t have the heart to ask his sister for more details. As he was starving in the Nazi concentration camp, his body cannibalized muscle tissue from his well-developed physique. If he had entered the camp with a slender build, he would have died. He no doubt had enjoyed the popularity of being a football player in high school, only a year or so later to be threatened with death in a concentration camp as a Jew despised by the Nazis.

For about a year and a half, he could not talk to anyone about his experiences in the concentration camp and how he had been mistreated. He started drinking heavily and developed a drinking problem. Fortunately, he realized that he was hurting himself and stopped drinking. Then he was finally able to tell his parents and sister what had happened to him in the camp.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:35 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Sure. Just call me Bill. I've never let anyone call me William. Sounds stuck up.

Since we’ve been discussing totalitarianism in a sports-related thread, I must relate the following incident. When I first learned as a high school student about the Holocaust, a particular question immediately arose in my mind; and that was, during our nation’s participation in World War II, were those of our Jewish servicemen fighting in Europe at risk of becoming casualties of the Holocaust? As I learned years later, the answer was most definitely. Although the number is very small compared to the numbers of Jews killed in European countries and territories occupied by the Nazis, the Holocaust did claim the lives of several hundred American Jews. I don't remember the exact figure. Many of them just happened to be visiting certain countries in Europe either conducting business or visiting relatives back in “the old country” when they were stranded there by military invasion. Their U.S. citizenship did not protect them. They were rounded up with the native Jews.

During the early 1980s, there was a pharmacy near our home that I frequently patronized before it eventually closed down. I was making a purchase there one day, and was chatting with the lady behind the cash register, who was old enough to be of my parents’ generation. This was the only time I happened to see her at the pharmacy. She told me that she had a brother who was a World War II veteran who had served in Europe, where he was captured by German soldiers. She told me that he was incarcerated in a concentration camp. I responded by saying, “You mean a prisoner of war camp, don’t you?” She replied, “No, a concentration camp.” I don’t know why, but I didn’t think to ask her if her family were Jewish. I have no doubt that they were, though. Years later a member of my congregation told me that he personally knew a Jewish World War II veteran who had spent time in a Nazi concentration camp. I assume that this veteran was this pharmacy clerk’s brother.

When her brother departed this country for Nazi-occupied Europe, he was in top shape physically and had a powerful physique. She told me that he had been an athlete in high school. I’m assuming that he had played football. (You know how crazy Texans are about football. I don’t happen to share their enthusiasm.) Fortunately, the concentration camp where he had been incarcerated was liberated; and he was flown back to the U.S. Upon his return the members of their family were shocked at his condition. He was emaciated. Just the expression on his face revealed that he had been traumatized. He had been deliberately starved and possibly had been subjected to other forms of torture as well. I didn’t have the heart to ask his sister for more details. As he was starving in the Nazi concentration camp, his body cannibalized muscle tissue from his well-developed physique. If he had entered the camp with a slender build, he would have died. He no doubt had enjoyed the popularity of being a football player in high school, only a year or so later to be threatened with death in a concentration camp as a Jew despised by the Nazis.

For about a year and a half, he could not talk to anyone about his experiences in the concentration camp and how he had been mistreated. He started drinking heavily and developed a drinking problem. Fortunately, he realized that he was hurting himself and stopped drinking. Then he was finally able to tell his parents and sister what had happened to him in the camp.

I see. I had not realized that, Bill.
I don' t know whether there was any effort
to send them elsewhere, to the Pacific Theater.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
@djjd62,
Oops! This post is addressed to OmSigDAVID. Sorry!

Earlier you wondered how sports fans would react if they discovered that some of the athletes they cheered for espoused principles that were abhorent to their own. I'd like to pose a question or two to you along those same lines. When I was a boy, I had the misfortune to grow up with a former university football player who was a bully. He once beat up a friend of mine who was having to take growth hormone injections, which should give you an idea of the extent of this football player's cowardice. I noticed that the local sports media, including the student newspaper at the university, never said that his conduct off the playing field was less than admirable. Instead, he was portrayed as one of the coolest persons who ever lived. The sports media, which really is nothing more than a propaganda mill, and many of the football fans say that I should admire this guy simply because he excelled at playing football. The way he treated others off the playing field didn't matter? I don't admire nonathletes who are bullies; so, why should I admire an athlete who is a bully simply because he excels at a sport? To cite another example, a year ago I read about a Denver Broncos football player (not in the sports media, incidentally) who had fathered eleven children out of wedlock by eleven different women. I shouldn't have to mention that children who grow up without a father suffer terribly and often become socially maladjusted. How often are individual athletes, such as the two I just mentioned, condemned for their despicable conduct? I recently spoke to a guy who played college football. He said that most of his teammates had had a "Rule the roost" attitude as football players at the university. (Mind you, he wasn't talking sour grapes. He's still a rabid football fan today.) I wasn't exactly surprised at what he said about his former teammates.

Bill
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:12 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Oops! This post is addressed to OmSigDAVID. Sorry!

Earlier you wondered how sports fans would react if they discovered that some of the athletes they cheered for espoused principles that were abhorent to their own. I'd like to pose a question or two to you along those same lines. When I was a boy, I had the misfortune to grow up with a former university football player who was a bully. He once beat up a friend of mine who was having to take growth hormone injections, which should give you an idea of the extent of this football player's cowardice. I noticed that the local sports media, including the student newspaper at the university, never said that his conduct off the playing field was less than admirable. Instead, he was portrayed as one of the coolest persons who ever lived. The sports media, which really is nothing more than a propaganda mill, and many of the football fans say that I should admire this guy simply because he excelled at playing football. The way he treated others off the playing field didn't matter? I don't admire nonathletes who are bullies; so, why should I admire an athlete who is a bully simply because he excels at a sport? To cite another example, a year ago I read about a Denver Broncos football player (not in the sports media, incidentally) who had fathered eleven children out of wedlock by eleven different women. I shouldn't have to mention that children who grow up without a father suffer terribly and often become socially maladjusted. How often are individual athletes, such as the two I just mentioned, condemned for their despicable conduct? I recently spoke to a guy who played college football. He said that most of his teammates had had a "Rule the roost" attitude as football players at the university. (Mind you, he wasn't talking sour grapes. He's still a rabid football fan today.) I wasn't exactly surprised at what he said about his former teammates.

Bill
To ME, their success with football is of no greater concern
than if thay exceeded at tic-tac-to or with pinball machines.
Thay shoud be held to account accordingly for misconduct.
I can t comment on growing up without a father.
I don 't know much about that.
I was somewhat pleased when mine left.
I gave him a lift to the airport.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Before I'm denounced by some sports fan, I admire individual athletes who actually uphold moral standards and are kind towards others; but I have no respect for those who are arrogant jerks. The sports media refuses to recognize that a guy can excel at a sport and at the same time be a lousy human being (which is true of every other human endeavor as well, of course).

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I must concede that having no father is better than having a bad father.

More later ...

Bill
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:05 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Before I'm denounced by some sports fan, I admire individual athletes
who actually uphold moral standards and are kind towards others;
but I have no respect for those who are arrogant jerks.
The sports media refuses to recognize that a guy can excel at a sport
and at the same time be a lousy human being (which is true of
every other human endeavor as well, of course).
To me, athletic success is meaningless; futile emptiness.
I don 't care who can run around in circles better than someone else.
Whether someone is a good fellow or not is distinct and independent of that.

Please note that in this forum, anyone can be denounced unexpectedly
by sports fans or non-sports fans. U never know, but it is harmless.
I get denounced all the time; I don 't care.

wmwcjr wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about your father.
I must concede that having no father
is better than having a bad father.
I can 't say that he was a bad father; he didn't do anything rong.
It's only that we were not good friends. We did not see eye-to-eye.
I was happier after he left.
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 02:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I know this has nothing to do with this thread; but I've noticed in another one that when you made a challenging comment about people on the left, one of the liberal members responded by saying "F--- you" instead of trying to reason with you. I paid a lot of attention to politics when I was younger, but disillusionment set in over the years. I really don't keep up with politics anymore; but I've always been close to my sister, who is very liberal. So, I'm just wondering: Is this the way liberals typically act, or do conservatives act the same way?
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 04:18 am
@spendius,
Your comment that opposition to organized team sports and opposition to organized religion are conjoined is pure baloney. A close friend of mine who played football at a university and is now a sociology professor is an atheist; I believe in the literal inspiration of the scriptures, and have been a member of a church of Christ since October 1976. So I guess your linking of the two falls flat. And what exactly do you mean by "opposition to organized sports," and why do you and others in this thread and elsewhere react like not liking sports is a terrible sin akin to unpatriotism or racism? How about having a "Live and let live" attitude? I have no problem with people enjoying watching or participating in sports. I wouldn't dream of detracting from their enjoyment. That's a matter of preference. I'm simply opposed to team sports being forced upon nonathletic kids who have no interest in them. Several times in this thread the bullying of nonathletic kids by athletic classmates in mandatory P.E. classes has been mentioned, but you've had nothing to say about it.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:20 am
@wmwcjr,
"F--- you" -- what an eloquent rebuttal. There's no defense against it.
0 Replies

I Like 1981

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:58 am
@Chumly,
Same here with my and my friends. Well, my "imaginary friends". At my school, I sucked at nearly every sport I played and nearly put out my arm swinging an 11 oz. baseball bat. The only sport I was good at was running and that was only because every damn P.E. lesson the jocks would all gang up on me and chase me around the gym/court/field and when they caught me, I would usually get the living crap beaten out of me. P.E. classes inflicted so much torment on me... it has been 10 years since I last had to do a school sports lesson but the emotional scars I had been given still last today and they have hugely affected my self-confidence and I find it difficult to go out and make myself known.

Sports dominate our society in many ways. I don't mind that, but they have taken hold of many people and their minds and turned them into an elitist clan who will reject/harass/patronise anyone who dares not show any interest in them. The word "sport" alone sends shivers down my spine. I loved computing, math and the sciences and once I managed to recite 150 digits of pi in front of my whole class. I sure did get some funny looks that day, and there are people out there who can do far more than 150. i_like_1981 does not seem to be hugely lucky in a social sense. I had very few friends during high school and practically everyone picked on me. Even the girls. I once got beat up by a girl who was friends with several of the jocks at my school. Of course, I could have fought back, but if I'd have dared do so much as even go for her, the jocks would have given me something even worse so I just decided to take the beating in fear of an even worse one. I absolutely despise jocks. They are the Nazis of the school hierarchy. They bully those who don't think or act or even breathe like them yet somehow they become popular, loved by all the girls and even manage to gain the favour of the teachers and extort good grades off them even if your typical jock rarely has an IQ of more than one digit. Why did society have to end up this way? Why can't academic achievement and good conduct be better recognised in today's schools, instead of just swooning over people only useful for playing with a damn ball? Jocks ruined my life and they continue to ruin my life through all the bad memories of childhood they gave me. I hope things will change one day. I really do.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:10 am
@I Like 1981,
Hey, I Like 1981, we've met before! (Hint: Sportingnews) Stay around.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:36 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

I know this has nothing to do with this thread; but I've noticed in another one that when you made a challenging comment about people on the left, one of the liberal members responded by saying "F--- you" instead of trying to reason with you. I paid a lot of attention to politics when I was younger, but disillusionment set in over the years.
I really don't keep up with politics anymore; but I've always been close to my sister, who is very liberal.
I 've always been very interested in politics and political philosophy.
To me, personal freedom, Individualism and hedonism
(having as much fun in life as possible) have been continually on my mind.
I know that it is a historical fact that the Founders of this Republic
successfully fought for those values and thay incorporated them into
the fabric of the Republic, in its Supreme Law of the Land, mostly by
by prohibiting government jurisdiction in multiple designated areas,
37 of which r set forth in its Bill of Rights. Thay knew that personal freedom
and government jurisdiction r inversely proportional; liberty thrives
to the extent that the domestic power of government is crippled.
The American Flag celebrates the libertarian crippling of government
that resulted from the military rejection of the British Monarchy.

To MY mind, that resulting freedom is very worth KEEPING.
I have posted that "conservative" and "liberal" are relative words,
having meaning only when applied to some standard, which thay
EITHER rigidly keep, or deviate from. For instance:
as to standards of dress: if one attends a formal banquet attired in
black tie, tuxedo, vest and black patent leather shoes, one is CONSERVATIVE
as to the standard of formal attire.
If his friend attends the same affair thusly attired, except for
wearing red sneakers instead of black patent leather shoes, then he is liberal
insofar as his deviation from the applicable standard of footwear is concerned,
because he deviated from the standard form of attire.

While playing poker, if someone rakes in the pot claiming
to have a flush, when he has 4 clubs and a spade,
he is taking a liberal vu of the rules of poker, by deviating therefrom.
If he claims to have a flush when he has 2 clubs and 2 spades & a heart:
he is taking a MORE liberal vu of the rules of poker. (Of course, he will be murdered,
upon discovery of his liberalism.)

If your brain surgeon washes only ONE hand, OR if he insists on
eating cookies & potato chips on-the-job while he is slicing around in your head,
he is taking a liberal vu of the applicable standards of surgical sanitation
and sterility because he deviates therefrom.
By definition, a conservative surgeon rigidly & inflexibly adheres to those criteria
despite any enticements or cajoling, coaxing, importuning or inveigling to the contrary
even if he is accused of being "an old stick-in-the-mud."
The heart & soul of a liberal interpretation is distortion.
The innermost essence of liberalism is inconsistency with something.
Liberalism is meaningless in the absence of deviation from some practice or body of rules.
If that body of rules is evil, like communism, then to be liberal (like Boris Yeltsin) is good.
"Conservative" means rigidly, inflexibly non-deviant.
If a conservative deviates, he thereby abandons his conservatism.
If a truthful man tells a lie, then he is no longer a truthful man.

As to politics in America,
the criterion to which there is either
inflexibly rigid adherence (e.g. only 2 terms for President not 3),
or there is deviation, is the US Constitution.
If a statute or any practice is consistent therewith,
then it is conservative; if it deviates therefrom
(e.g., if W ran for a 3rd term as President,
or if government troops made u go to Church on time,
or if some gun control were imposed), that woud be liberal.

wmwcjr wrote:
So, I'm just wondering: Is this the way liberals typically act, or do conservatives act the same way?
I 've been acquainted with Ed for quite a few years. He was just reminding me
that I shoud fully augment the erotic aspects of my life, for robustly optimal hedonic effects!
He is very thawtful that way. He is my cheering section, forever urging me on to more rapturous ecstacy.
He yearns for me to thrill to the highest intensities of ineffable pleasure n euphoric delight.
(I keep telling him that is a private, personal matter.)

This forum evolved after another one that was called "Abuzz".
On that forum, very acrimonious, caustic obscenity was rampant
from some members on both sides. When someone expressed
a political opinion, some of the members ofen responded by informing
him of his (alleged) sexual nature and informing him that he had participated
in various forms of sexual perversity (even tho this was irrelevant and "off topic").
Some members on both sides of the political spectrum were guilty of that.
(I was not personally subjected to that abuse, nor did I inflict it, but I witnessed it.)

This forum is much calmer, and relatively more peaceful, decent n civil.
For instance: recently 2 liberals bullied and inflicted indignities upon
a friend of mine (who is also a liberal). I rose to her defense,
by counter-bullying them and assuming an overbearing manner
to vindicate my abused friend, but I did not descend to the use of obscenity; (unnecessary).

Conservatives here r more reticent to use foul language than liberals,
but we r not 100% clean either. I have very little recourse to it,
other than an occasional "hell" or "damned".
(One reason is that I don 't deem sex to be a bad thing, as someone I coud mention implies.)
I did not mind Ed 's remark, nor do I bear him ill will. He is just who he is.
From his posts n his profile, I surmise that he has lived
a very harsh long life, not much above indigence.
Ed seldom has much recourse to obscene language.

Forgive me for talking your ear off, Bill. U write interesting posts.

David
Francis

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
I'm not going to dissect your post, where you spread falsity, making up definitions for words that are far from meaning what you claim.

As a conservative, you should stuck to the traditional etymology of words..

Quote:
liberal (adj.)
late 14c., from O.Fr. liberal "befitting free men, noble, generous," from L. liberalis "noble, generous," lit. "pertaining to a free man," from liber "free," from PIE base *leudheros (cf. Gk. eleutheros "free"), probably originally "belonging to the people" (though the precise semantic development is obscure), from *leudho- "people" (cf. O.C.S. ljudu, Lith. liaudis, O.E. leod, Ger. Leute "nation, people"). Earliest reference in English is to the liberal arts. Sense of "free in bestowing" is from late 14c. With a meaning "free from restraint in speech or action" (late 15c.) liberal was used 16c.-17c. as a term of reproach. It revived in a positive sense in the Enlightenment, with a meaning "free from prejudice, tolerant," which emerged 1776-88. Purely in reference to political opinion, "tending in favor of freedom and democracy" it dates from c.1801, from Fr. libéral, originally applied in English by its opponents (often in French form and with suggestions of foreign lawlessness) to the party favorable to individual political freedoms. But also (especially in U.S. politics) tending to mean "favorable to government action to effect social change," which seems at times to draw more from the religious sense of "free from prejudice in favor of traditional opinions and established institutions" (and thus open to new ideas and plans of reform), which dates from 1823.

Quote:
Definitions of liberal on the Web:

broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant ... having political or social views favoring reform and progress tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@Francis,
I hesitate to concede to lexicografers expertise in philosophy and history,
but I observe that your quoted material tends to support what I said,
which is certainly in keeping with traditional use of language, philosophically and historically.

It surprizes me that u don't know better, Francis.
Your position is untenable.

I certainly agree with your remark qua etymology.

I am not above dissecting your posted quotes,
but first I shall go to dine.

David
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, you weren't talking my ear off. Your comments about Ed's eloquent rebuttal and the other exchanges gave me chuckles. I must agree with you that Ed has been most solicitous of your happiness. "cheering section," indeed.

Bill
0 Replies

I Like 1981

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:20 pm
@wmwcjr,
Fear not, I intend to stick around here. Whenever assistance is required, feel free to bring on i_like_1981!

I have a message for all you jocks who come to attack this thread... your aggressive, hateful messages and spiteful remarks against other users just prove our points further and you're only making us seem more and more correct. I don't understand why sports bullies come to these anti-sports threads when they know it will make them mad. I don't even know why they're searching for these kinds of threads anyway when they're supposed to love sports. Perhaps McDonalds have been laying off a lot of employees recently? Or are these jocks too stupid and useless outside of sports to even get a job? I do wonder. The jock mentality is hard to understand.

People who hate sports... do not feel ashamed to speak your mind! We are not living in Nazi Germany any more, although the jocks may make you feel like we are at times through their irrational hatred for anyone who shares different thoughts to them. And it's not just sports either. Jocks bully people who don't like the same music, shows, wear the same clothes... I know it's not only jocks that do this but it's a problem with the world today and it will never move forward until everybody learns to accept each other's differences.

I want some intelligent sports fans with a good argument and excellent written expression to come and challenge my claim that all jocks are stupid, grunting morons. Better still, I want the jocks themselves to come and attack me and I'd like to see how well their pathetic, sheepish minds can come up with a decent argument for me. "Ur a fag, wat a nerd, go screw urself n get a life! lol sportz rock!" Yeah, I can see it now.

By the way, I do understand the majority of athletes aren't bad people. But I hate the jocks. They aren't just bad apples, they're toxic apples that spoil the entire bunch and put many people off sports altogether. Jocks are the lowest form of human in existence (although their scores of girlfriends and riveting social lives may seem like quite the opposite of that, the fact is, they only got that far because they make people too scared to oppose them and teenage girls tend to be a bit ditzy and will go for the hunky footballer than the smaller yet far more intelligent and well-conducted young man).

i_like_1981 out!
aidan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:51 pm
@I Like 1981,
Quote:
the fact is, they only got that far because they make people too scared to oppose them and teenage girls tend to be a bit ditzy and will go for the hunky footballer than the smaller yet far more intelligent and well-conducted young man

Talk about a stereotype. It's a classic case of the stereotyped stereotyping.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:12 pm
@I Like 1981,
Welcome to the forum.
What do u like best about 1981?

I like the first year of service of Ronald Reagan as President. I attended his Inaugural Ball in 1981.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 09:02 pm
@I Like 1981,
I Like 1981 wrote:

Same here with my and my friends. Well, my "imaginary friends".
U have imaginary friends?
Tell us about them?

I Like 1981 wrote:

At my school, I sucked at nearly every sport I played and nearly
put out my arm swinging an 11 oz. baseball bat. The only sport
I was good at was running and that was only because every damn
P.E. lesson the jocks would all gang up on me and chase me
around the gym/court/field and when they caught me,
I would usually get the living crap beaten out of me.
That was both a crime and a tort; the latter can be profitable.
Did u call the police? Did u sue them?

I Like 1981 wrote:
P.E. classes inflicted so much torment on me...
it has been 10 years since I last had to do a school sports lesson
but the emotional scars I had been given still last today and they
have hugely affected my self-confidence and I find it difficult to
go out and make myself known.
Did u consult your attorney?
It sounds like u had a decent cause of action in tort against
your school. If u consult an attorney of your jurisdiction,
u can find out if the statute of limitations has gone into effect against your case.
Your childhood status probably tolled it for a while.

I Like 1981 wrote:
Sports dominate our society in many ways.
I don't mind that, but they have taken hold of many people and their minds and
turned them into an elitist clan who will reject/harass/patronise
anyone who dares not show any interest in them. The word "sport" alone
sends shivers down my spine.
It saddens me to read of your horrible experience, which was inconsistent with my own.
I refused to participate in athletic competition. My only discord was once
when I was 8, I was so ill-advised as to join a baseball game without understanding the rules.
I fell into error, to the delight of the opposing team and the rage of mine, who upbraided me
with most obscene insolence. This continued (for a few seconds) until
I began to pound upon the countenances of the offenders, whereupon
thay assumed supine positions and the others fled the scene.
There was no further difficulty, but I plagued them no further
with my athletic blunders. That was my first and last ballgame.

I Like 1981 wrote:
I loved computing, math and the sciences and
once I managed to recite 150 digits of pi in front of my whole class.
I sure did get some funny looks that day, and there are people out
there who can do far more than 150. i_like_1981 does not seem
to be hugely lucky in a social sense. I had very few friends during
high school and practically everyone picked on me.
My experience was somewhat similar to yours in that I took an interest
in nuclear physics and I began correcting the science teachers.
The other students were astonished at this (it was unheard of)
and (very unexpectedly) I became the class hero for challenging the teacher. It was fun.

I Like 1981 wrote:
Even the girls. I once got beat up by a girl
who was friends with several of the jocks at my school.
Did she or the jocks indicate the reason for their dissatisfaction?

I Like 1981 wrote:
Of course, I could have fought back, but if
I'd have dared do so much as even go for her, the jocks would have
given me something even worse so I just decided to take the beating
in fear of an even worse one. I absolutely despise jocks.
With all respect: despising gets u nowhere.
It has no effect on the jocks. On the other hand: calling the police
and following up with tortious litigation HAS a profitable effect for u.
It also enables u to dominate the jocks. The police r YOUR jocks.

I Like 1981 wrote:
They are the Nazis of the school hierarchy.
They bully those who don't think or act or even breathe like them
I never knew that to be the case. Everything was quiet n pleasant.
Maybe things have changed. I wish u good luck.

David