Memories of 21, 42, 63 ... the 84th meandering

sumac

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 11:42 am
Our dusting didn't materialize. But all clicked here.
danon5

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 03:44 pm
@sumac,
All clicked in TX -----
Stradee

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:45 pm
@danon5,
No snow yet...very cold though.

All clickered

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
danon5

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:56 am
@Stradee,
More trees saved ---------

Yet another Monday.

Happy Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day everyone..

I told my Mom years ago that I was a Pearl Harbor baby ------ She said no I wasn't. I said that when the harbor was bombed and WWII started my father must have gotten nervous --------- I was born exactly nine months and 6 days later...........Grin

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:46 am
Going to click. Happy Monday everyone.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:51 am
EPA: Greenhouse gases endanger human health
By DINA CAPPIELLO and H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer Dina Cappiello And H. Josef Hebert, Associated Press Writer 52 mins ago

WASHINGTON " The Environmental Protection Agency has concluded greenhouse gases are endangering people's health and must be regulated, signaling that the Obama administration is prepared to contain global warming without congressional action if necessary.

EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson scheduled a news conference for later Monday to announce the so-called endangerment finding, officials told The Associated Press, speaking privately because the announcement had not been made.

The finding is timed to boost the administration's arguments at an international climate conference " beginning this week " that the United States is aggressively taking actions to combat global warming, even though Congress has yet to act on climate legislation.

Under a Supreme Court ruling, the so-called endangerment finding is needed before the EPA can regulate carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases released from power plants, factories and automobiles under the federal Clean Air Act.

The EPA signaled last April that it was inclined to view heat-trapping pollution as a threat to public health and welfare and began to take public comments under a formal rulemaking. The action marked a reversal from the Bush administration, which had declined to aggressively pursue the issue.

Business groups have strongly argued against tackling global warming through the regulatory process of the Clean Air Act. Any such regulations are likely to spawn lawsuits and lengthy legal fights.

The EPA and the White House have said regulations on greenhouse gases will not be imminent even after an endangerment finding, saying that the administration would prefer that Congress act to limit such pollution through an economy-wide cap on carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

Nevertheless, the EPA has begun the early stages of developing permit requirements on carbon dioxide pollution from large emitters such as power plants. The administration also has said it will require automobile fuel economy to increase to a fleet average of 35 miles per gallon by 2016, another push to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

The EPA's readiness to tackle climate change is expected to give a boost to U.S. arguments at the climate conference opening in Copenhagen this week that the United States is making broad commitments to reduce greenhouse gases.

While the House has approved climate legislation that would cut emissions by 17 percent by 2020 and about 80 percent by mid-century, the Senate has yet to take up the measure amid strong Republican opposition and reluctance by some centrist Democrats.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., lead author of the Senate bill, has argued that if Congress doesn't act, the EPA will require greenhouse gas emissions. He has called EPA regulation a "blunt instrument" that would pose a bigger problem for industry than legislation crafted to mitigate some of the costs of shifting away from carbon emitting fossil fuels.

The way was opened for the EPA to use the Clean Air Act to cut climate-changing emissions by the Supreme Court in 2007, when the court declared that carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are pollutants under the Act. But the court said the EPA must determine if these pollutants pose a danger to public health and welfare before it can regulate them.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
@danon5,
Good earthturn all

We've got snow snow snow...Very Happy

Happy Birthday, Dan! (you are so funny - laughing)

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:17 am
Yes, Happy Birthday Dan.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
@Stradee,
We got rain, rain, rain and it's COLD, Brrrrrrr! So I clicked and got a warm fuzzy! Happy Birthday Dan!
danon5

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:15 pm
@teenyboone,
All clicked - no snow - some more rain - temps ok.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
@danon5,
all clicked

waiting for the "winter storm" watch to turn into actual snow

I did bring in the laundry Laughing
teenyboone

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:32 pm
@danon5,
Dan,
It's so cold here, I'm not going out today. Now, the TV stations are scaring people into running to the stores for bread and milk because they are predicting snow! So? We don't need anything, so I'm not panicking. So glad the kids are grown, else I'd be running too! Just finished clicking. Hope you had a great birthday!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Hi ya all ~

Beth, we had a doozy of a storm yesterday - 10 inches of snow with minus 20 degree temps. Kazoo freezing weather! The herd sat outdoors today for a whopping 10 minutes. brrrrrrrrrr

Warmer note: Was that the costume you sewed? awsome! Smile

Hi ya Teeny!

sue, how's the rain doin' in your neck of the woods? We're expecting another storm Wednesday.

Have a good evening wildclickers and keep warm....

teenyboone

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:03 am
Raining cats & dogs here today, 50 degrees in Asbury, got to go out and return an item I don't need, but I'm clicking before I go! Happy clicking, everyone.

Stradee

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:01 am
@teenyboone,
Frozen snow and rain expected. Shocked

snow
freeze
rain

An adventure driving to town today. Highs in the 20's??? rain???

Stradee

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:13 am
Tumucumaque National Park in Brazil's Amazonian state of Amapa

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38212000/jpg/_38212622_parkriver300.jpg

Brazil making efforts for reclaim Amazon rainforest...

The aging mayor of this crammed jungle city in the heart of the Amazon once handed out chainsaws to cut down the rainforest.

Now he throws around slogans to save it.

That legendary shift is part of a new attitude that's driving a wave of innovation by Brazilian business and government. Those efforts are helping to slash deforestation to its lowest level on record, and have emboldened Brazilian leaders to seek a key role this week at global climate talks in Copenhagen.

"We must add economic value to the forest," said Amazonas state Gov. Eduardo Braga, whose eco-subsidies, environmental endowment and plans to sell carbon credits to California have made the area around Manaus a public lab for sustainable forestry.

At the heart of this week's summit debate is how much nations are willing to pay to slow deforestation, and what role Brazil will play in that effort. Home to more tropical forest than any other nation, Brazil already has paired with India, China and South Africa to craft a plan, which its 700-member delegation is now promoting in hotel and convention halls of Copenhagen.

President Luíz Inácio Lula da Silva, who is expected to join the conference next week, has cast himself as a mediator.

To bridge the emissions gap between rich and poor nations, he is pushing emerging countries to limit pollution, while insisting that developed nations help pay the bill.

"The worst thing that could happen in Copenhagen is that world society thinks its leaders aren't taking responsibility for the seriousness of these problems," he said.

Since 2003, Brazil has pushed to slow the destruction, creating 250,000 square miles of new protected forest, arresting hundreds of illegal loggers and granting farm loans on the condition that they follow environmental compliance. The country has added faster satellite surveillance, designed a $1 billion "Amazon Fund" to finance conservation and vowed to cut emissions by at least 36 percent from what's expected for 2020.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:18 am
@Stradee,
laughing

minus 20 degrees???

from where?

nooooooooo - thatta be 20 degrees then 14 degrees - then whatever...just cold
danon5

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:45 pm
@Stradee,
Stradee, minus 20 (believe it or not) feels warmer than plus 20 degrees. As long as you have all skin covered of course. It's because that is the point at which all moisture is gone from the air. While actually colder, it (feels) warmer. Don't forget, I lived in Alaska (Fairbanks) for almost three years. Minus 72 degrees was the coldest I was exposed to. Most of the time it was only around minus 50.

Gonna be 26 degrees here tonight - then warm up again.

Stay dry all..........clicked

0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:03 pm
@Stradee,
Stradee, clicked early this AM. Went out when the rain and wind subsided. It got up to 60 today, but tomorrow, watch out! It did snow in the mountains north-west of me. In New Jersey we have everything. Ski lodges in the North Western portion of the state, the Jersey Shore, where I live and all of the peach, tomato and cranberry farms, in the southern portion, which is why this is the Garden State, along with all of the places Washington slept and fought here, during the Revolution.

It's very pretty here, year round, but icy cold in the winter.
Stradee

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 09:07 pm
@teenyboone,
Dan, 20 degrees is just fine with me. Anything colder and i'm not there. (grin)

Today the driveway was blocked with snow and ice. Tomorrow expecting another inch of snow. Hopefully the trip to town will be after the ice melts and before the next storm. amazing weather

Stay warm, Teeny! Smile