Obama..... not religious?

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's not the one I responded to.

This was:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Of course, most are too frightened of the boogeyman god to actually say that...so they go through the “interpret it in light of life's new challenges” malarkey.

I stand by my contention that any Christian who condones homosexual behavior is a hypocrite"which is equivalent to not being a Christian.

People who finally come to their senses about the nonsense in the Bible ought not to go half way. Get the hell out!

Become an agnostic.

Frank -- I think you should become homosexual. I don't care who you might think you're "attracted to" -- I think it makes a lot more sense for people to be homosexual. Everyone.

You condone homosexual activity but then refuse to do it yourself??

C'mon. What hypocricy!

Get thee to a bathhouse!
Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:37 am
@sozobe,
Oh man, your analogy sucks! Get outta here!
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:40 am
@Thomas,
Laughing

It's not very exact.

My point is -- religion and sexuality kind of fall outside of the rational parts of our brains. Not everything can or should be rational.

You believe or you don't. You're attracted or you're not.

If your religion or your sexuality connect with my nose (er), it matters to me. Otherwise it doesn't.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:47 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
If the god of the Bible showed up on your wife's couch, she most certainly wouldn't worship him like fundamentalist Christians do. She most certainly wouldn't take his flickers of charm, his occasional moments of clarity, as a starting point for something modern humans could selectively worship. On the contrary: I bet she would immediately send him to a closed mental institution. And she would be right!

Nobody here is arguing a fundamentalist viewpoint, though. Are you trying to invent something against which to argue?

Thomas wrote:
You don't like the citations I gave so far? Fine. What kind of evidence do you require for the claims I'm making?

What claims are you making? That the god depicted in the OT is jealous, cantankerous, and ill-mannered? I've already agreed with you on that point.
Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:47 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
If your religion or your sexuality connect with my nose (er), ...

I think I'll have to add religion and sexuality to my list of things that work very differently in America.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:48 am
@sozobe,
By the way -- since I'm a pinko commie liberal do-gooder activist type, and not just because I have a big nose -- I define "my nose" rather broadly. If I see either one (religion, sexuality) doing bad things to anyone else's nose, I consider that a problem, too. Treat your neighbor's nose as your own -- doesn't it say that in the bible?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:49 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe...the only guess I can make at this time is that you have decided not to consider anything I say to be worthwhile or reasonable...and apparently you have decided that anything I say is motivated by a malicious nature...meant to be mean-spirited and boorish.

Sorry you feel that way.

But everyone who shares opinions has to realize that some people will react that way...and sometimes, if you are sharing opinions that are contentious, many people will.

If every person on A2K came to the conclusion that I am a mean-spirited boor, with an over-inflated ego who preens and struts and refuses to listen to be reasonable...

...then every person in A2K would be wrong!

You are wrong. Very wrong. The arguments I have presented here have been logical, cogent, and persuasive.

I'll continue my arguments as I have been...and will simply acknowledge that for reasons important to you, you will simply not give what I have to say the consideration it deserves.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's a nice little evasion. Smile

I don't think you're mean-spirited. Obnoxious, yes, and happily so. Boorish, probably.

I'm giving what you have to say plenty of consideration. I simply disagree.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I'm not really sure I "have issues with Christianity." I prefer to think I have issues with hypocrisy.

Can't argue with "I'm not really sure" and "I prefer".

I'm guessing that (in)ability to make a choice, really take a stance, and shout your conviction to the world is what makes you who you are.
Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Nobody here is arguing a fundamentalist viewpoint, though. Are you trying to invent something against which to argue?

No. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter what kind of Christian you are. Whether you're fundamentalist or liberal, you wouldn't worship the god of the bible the way you worship him under your preferred interpretation of the book.

Quote:
What claims are you making? That the god depicted in the OT is jealous, cantankerous, and ill-mannered? I've already agreed with you on that point.

... and that the Bible as a whole is an implausible candidate for a moral compass. Even for a first try at one.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:57 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
... and that the Bible as a whole is an implausible candidate for a moral compass. Even for a first try at one.

And I'll state again: The Bible is not a handbook. (Meaning: the Bible is not the moral compass. Parables require interpretation; it's not as simple as saying "the Bible told me so.")
Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:58 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
And I'll state again: The Bible is not a handbook.

Then what is it?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:59 am
@Thomas,
Whoops. I didn't get my edit done in time.
0 Replies

philomina

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:59 am
btw, he is religious or not, it doesnt really matters as long as he is performing, keeping us safe, and helping us in hthis difficult time of recession, everything is fine
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:01 am
In another thread I tried to illustrate how this “Christian” religion does smash into my nose in a way that is unacceptable.

The other thread has to do with my mother-in-law, who is now in a hospital bed dying...a slow morphine drip easing, but not ending the pain she is feeling.

If my cat or my neighbors dog were in similar shape...neither of us would hesitate for a moment to end the suffering by ending the pet's life in a humane way. In fact, if either of us didn't...the other would be all over his back for being such a inhumane, uncaring person.

But my mother-in-law, like my uncle before her and my father before him, have to go through this degrading, pain filled, revulsion-filled death agony. Some, my uncle, with physical strength enough to last for over two weeks before dying; others, like my father (and hopefully my mother-in-law) going in a just few days.

But the reason the congress cannot even consider legislation aimed at allowing for a more dignified, merciful death for people beyond hope...is because of the objections of people who think this scumbag of a god would be offended if we did something like that.

And the reason we have to have discussions about homosexuals at all...is 99% because of the biblically taught sensitivities of the scumbag god.

Nose meet fist; fist, this is nose.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:01 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
It's not as simple as saying "the Bible told me so."

Which is not to say some people don't look for simplistic answers in it. But saying "some people look for simplistic answers in the Bible, which makes the Bible a bunch of bullshit" is an ad hominem fallacy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:02 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Parables require interpretation; it's not as simple as saying "the Bible told me so."

Is that the answer to the question I asked after your edit? "The Bible is a bunch of parables?"
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:03 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Can't argue with "I'm not really sure" and "I prefer".

I'm guessing that (in)ability to make a choice, really take a stance, and shout your conviction to the world is what makes you who you are.

Yup...a ******* jerkoff like you would actually think I "can't take a stance" or that I would not share of it.

You are pathetic.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
But the reason the congress cannot even consider legislation aimed at allowing for a more dignified, merciful death for people beyond hope...is because of the objections of people who think this scumbag of a god would be offended if we did something like that.

That's the very point Obama is making in the speech referenced in the original post. Religious reasons are not a good enough foundation for laws which affect us all.

But I don't think that medical ethics are based upon a religious foundation.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Nose meet fist; fist, this is nose.

Er... This might be you mother-in-law's nose, but it ain't yours.
Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
OK, maybe now I do see a little bit of scorn there.