Super Bowl XLIII! The Idiot's Guide To

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:28 pm
Good afternoon to yall of you.
I discovered last night my scorecard was not in a format that was decipherable. I had to re-do it. I hope I got it right. Let me know if I transcribed anything wrong.
Well, it looks like Ehbeth cleaned our collective clocks yesterday. She got 2 bronze stars in Week 1 and 2 silvers yesterday, picking both Pittsburgh and Arizona. A bunch of folks got 1 silver, largely based on the Steelers success.
Fbaezer, Region, Miz Cowdoc, Coastalrat, Ragman, Johnboy, Foxfyre, Kicky and Mysteryman had PI and Edgar and Alex scored with AZ.
Interestingly, a disproportionate number of silvers went to players who picked later rather than early. I don't know what that means.
A bronze is worth 1 point and a silver is worth 3. At this point, Ehbeth has 8 points, Foxfyre has 7 and Edgar, Fbaezer, Region and Alex have 6.
By my reckoning, if AZ wins Edgar and Alex will get gold stars and finish with 10 points. A PI victory will leave Ehbeth atop the heap with 12 points.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Nifty.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 05:24 pm
So it is (almost) Thursday. I hate this 2 week break before the Super Bowl actually gets played.
That's it. Nothing more to add. I hope yall haven't wandered off.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
Still here.
Don't know who I want to win.
Arizona, I think.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Still here.

I think it would be nice if Arizona won, however I've got to stick with my smudgy pick.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
Still here and seems so silly waiting for 2 weeks, except that it gives the teams a chance to heal from some of the small, nagging injuries. I've watched ESPN analysts talk up both sides of this match. I personally think Steelers will win handily but after last year with Pats - Giants..you just never know. It boils down to who can put their focus and those bright lights and cameras in the proper place. Calling up the "inner warrior". Warriors like Palamalu and Fitz and Big Ben should be the difference makers.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:28 pm
Many decades ago, the Arizona Cardinals were the Chicago Cardinals. I will be rooting for the Chicago team.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:12 pm
@wandeljw,
They were? I thought they were transplanted from St. Louis.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:52 pm
@Foxfyre,

they went from shy to looie to the arid zone...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Cardinals
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:30 am
I'll smooch a pig if the Steelers lose. Pittsburgh is about a 7-point favorite right now. I predict they win by at least twice that much.

THAT'S THE FACT, JACK!

http://www.typophile.com/files/Lambert.jpg
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:01 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

They were? I thought they were transplanted from St. Louis.

RP gave an interesting link about this.

From my own memory the Cardinals played in Comiskey Park where the White Sox also played. The Bears played at Wrigley Field where the Cubs also played. My family moved to Chicago in 1958 when I was four years old. (Osso may also remember this.)
George

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:46 am
Is it just me, or is there very little buzz this year?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:11 am
@wandeljw,
Alas, I don't, Wandel. I was busy following Notre Dame back then..

Also, we moved to LA in '55 - and that was about when I started reading the sports pages.. to follow my then favorite horse, Swaps. So, I'd heard of the Rams and the Bears and Colts but blank on the Cards.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:18 am
@George,
Yeah, it seems like there's hardly any hype and publicity so far. Maybe we should spend the rest of the week in Pittsburgh. I'm sure there's a lot of buzz there.
George

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:36 am
@kickycan,
And among Steelers fans in general. They have a pretty far-flung fan base.

The rest of the week in Pittsburgh?
Gee, sounds tempting, but I'll pass.

Digression: I ponied up $10 for a square on the office Super Bowl pool.
I got 8/8. Kiss that sawbuck goodbye.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:51 pm
@wandeljw,
You're right.

Being a long time Bear fan and never having thought of Chicago having any other team, I was surprised that the Cardinals were once based in Chicago.

Quote:
The Chicago Bears came into existence as the Decatur Staleys in 1920. Co-owners George Halas and Dutch Sternaman coached the team during that '20 season in Decatur, then moved the club to Chicago at the behest of A.E. Staley, owner of the Staley company. The following season, 1921, the Chicago Staleys won their first World Championship. The team continued on as the new National Football League fought for its survival through the decade, and in 1925 they pulled the coup of the league by signing Illinois standout Red Grange. Grange and the Bears embarked on a coast to coast "barnstorming tour" that year, introducing pro football to the masses. In 1929 Halas and Sternaman hired a new coach in Ralph Jones, who delivered another world championship in 1932. Halas again became head coach of the team in 1933, and the Bears won another title. In 1939, Halas began rebuilding the club again, drafting future stars in Sid Luckman and Bill Osmanski that year alone. The team embarked on its greatest run of championships the following year, winning titles in 1940, '41, '43 and '46. The Bears' record in this era was 223-76-33.
http://www.bearshistory.com/seasons/index.aspx

Quote:
THE CARDINALS

What does the Morgan Athletic Club have in common with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals football team? The Morgan Athletic Club was started in 1898. It was the first name of what we now know to be the Arizona Cardinals. After that first moniker, they were known as the Normals, Racine Cardinals, Chicago Cardinals, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Phoenix Cardinals, and finally became the Arizona Cardinals in 1994.

More Arizona Cardinals History and Facts
The Arizona Cardinals football team, and its predecessor teams, is the oldest continuously run professional football franchise in the nation.
In 1922 the team moved to Chicago and played at Comiskey Park. The team played there for 37 years. In that same year the team joined the NFL. They called themselves the Chicago Cardinals.
In 1925 the NFL championship was still determined by the best record, and not by a playoff season. In that year the Cardinals were awarded their first NFL championship.
In 1933 a Vice President of the Chicago Bears named Charles W. Bidwell, Sr. bought the Cardinals. He paid $50,000 for the team.
Because of the war, the Cardinals combined with the Pittsburgh Steelers to play as one team in 1944. The team was called was called Card-Pitt.
The senior Mr. Bidwell died in 1947.
After many years of less-than-stellar performance, the Cardinals reclaimed the NFL championship title in 1947 but Mr Bidwell hadn't lived long enough to see it. This was the only time that the Cardinals won a championship by winning a championship title game. It was the NFL's 15th championship title game (it was not yet called the Super Bowl). The score was 28-21, and they defeated the Philadelphia Eagles.
Mrs. Violet Bidwell controlled the Cardinals for the next 15 years.
In 1960 the Cardinals moved to St. Louis.
In 1962 Mrs. Bidwell died leaving the Cardinals football team to her two sons, Charles W. Bidwill, Jr. and William V. Bidwill. In 1972 William Bidwell became the sole owner, and later in 1976 the team was incorporated.
In 1988 the Cardinals moved to Arizona under the name Phoenix Cardinals.
In their first season in Arizona the Cardinals achieved two records: one for single game attendance (vs. Cowboys in their inaugural Arizona game) and one for season attendance.
In 1994 William "Bill" Bidwell changed the name of the team to the Arizona Cardinals.
In 1998 the Arizona Cardinals finally ended the team's 15-year playoff drought and achieved their first postseason victory since 1947.
14 former Cardinals are in the Football Hall of Fame. They are: Charles Bidwill, Guy Chamberlin, Conzelman, Driscoll, Kiesling, Curly Lambeau, Dick "Night Train" Lane, Ollie Matson, Nevers, Jackie Smith, Jim Thorpe, Trippi, and Larry Wilson, who currently serves the Cardinals as a vice president.
In November 2000, voters in Maricopa County passed Proposition 302, the Tourism and Sports Initiative, to help fund a new stadium for the Cardinals, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, and future Super Bowls, in addition to providing revenue for Cactus League spring training baseball, tourism, and youth recreation. It passed with 51.89% of the vote. The new stadium is scheduled to open in 2006.
2006 marked the debut of the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium in Glendale. Shortly after opening the stadium it was named the University of Phoenix Stadium. No more hot August and September nights! This stadium is an air-conditioned, state-of-the-art facility.
For only the third time in 20 seasons since moving to Arizona, and the first time since 1998, the Arizona Cardinals finished the 2007 season with 8 wins and 8 losses. A .500 record didn't get them to the playoffs this year.
Will next year be the year that we can finally move on from the lackluster performance of the past few years? Let's hope so! The next page has all the details you'll need to enjoy the games this year.
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/sportsteams/a/cardinals.htm

And to give the Steelers their due:

Quote:
PITTSBURGH STEELERS

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a professional American football team based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They are currently a member of the North Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL). Founded in 1933, the Steelers are the oldest and most championed franchise in the AFC. The team will appear in its seventh Super Bowl on February 1st 2009 and is one of three teams to have won the Super Bowl five times. They have hosted more conference championship games than any other NFL franchise. From 1974 to 1979 the franchise became the first NFL franchise to win four Super Bowl titles in six seasons, a feat which is yet to be matched. The 2005 team was the first sixth-seeded team in NFL history to advance to a conference championship game; they went on to win the game, followed by their latest Super Bowl victory on February 5, 2006.

The Steelers have had seventeen players and coaches inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the fourth most of any franchise in the NFL.[1] The fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Steelers were founded as the Pittsburgh Pirates on July 8, 1933, by Art Rooney.[2] The ownership of the Steelers has remained within the Rooney family since its founding, and is arguably the best ownership in the NFL.[3] The current owner is Art's son, Dan Rooney, who has given much control of the franchise to his son Art Rooney II. The team also enjoys a fanbase nicknamed Steeler Nation, that is rivaled by few teams.[4]

The Steelers currently play their home games in Heinz Field on Pittsburgh's Northside, which also hosts the University of Pittsburgh Panthers. Built in 2001, the stadium replaced Three Rivers Stadium which hosted the Steelers for 31 seasons. Prior to Three Rivers, the Steelers had played their games in Pitt Stadium and Forbes Field.

Franchise history
For more details on this topic, see History of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL first took to the field as the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 20, 1933, losing 23-2 to the New York Giants.[5] Through the 1930s, the Pirates never finished higher than second place in their division, or with a record better than 0.500 (1936).[6] Pittsburgh did make history in 1938 by signing Byron White, a future justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, to what was at the time the biggest contract in NFL history,[7] but he played only one year with the Pirates before signing with the Detroit Lions.[8]

During World War II, the Steelers experienced player shortages. They twice merged with other NFL franchises to field a team. During the 1943 season, they merged with the Philadelphia Eagles forming the "Phil-Pitt Eagles" and were known as the "Steagles." This team went 5-4-1. In 1944 they merged with the Chicago Cardinals and were known as Card-Pitt (or, mockingly, as the "Carpets").[7] This team finished 0-10, marking the only winless team in franchise history.[9]

The Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in 1947, tying for first place in the division at 8-4 with the Philadelphia Eagles. This forced a tie-breaking playoff game at Forbes Field, which the Steelers lost 21-0.[10] That would be Pittsburgh's only playoff game for 25 years, though the Steelers did qualify for a "Playoff Bowl" in 1963 as the second best team in their conference, though not considered an official playoff.[11]

In 1970, with the assimilation of the American Football League into the National Football League, the Pittsburgh Steelers were one of three old-guard NFL teams to switch to the newly-formed American Conference (the others being the Cleveland Browns and the Baltimore Colts). This restructuring was necessary to equalize the number of teams in each of the two conferences following the AFL-NFL merger.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
I never actually saw the Chicago Cardinals play but I remember my grammar school classmates talking about them. I did see the Chicago Bears play at Wrigley Field (Cubs Park). In the 1950's Chicago had an interesting situation with one baseball team and one football team playing at Comiskey Park with a different baseball team and different football team playing at Wrigley Field. What a sports town!
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 04:04 pm
@wandeljw,
The most interesting bit of trivia in that mini history of the Cardinals was this one I thought especially considering the teams in the Super Bowl this year:

Quote:
Because of the war, the Cardinals combined with the Pittsburgh Steelers to play as one team in 1944. The team was called was called Card-Pitt.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:28 pm
@wandeljw,

NYC had a similar deal, with the yankees & giants playing at yankee stadium.
later on, the mets & jets shared shea.

mattera fact, the yankees played @ shea for two years while yankee stadium was getting a facelift...

R(is it sunday yet?)P
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yes, I caught that.. I wonder if sportscasters have..
0 Replies