Super Bowl XLIII! The Idiot's Guide To

Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
Amen to that. I hope more honors are bestowed before Old man Rooney buys the farm. Class is the word!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:33 am
@Region Philbis,
That reeks of awesomeness.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:26 pm
I note that Mysteryman, in his profile, indicates he lives in W KY. Hundreds of thousands of houses in that region are w/o power. I hope he is okay. Anyone heard from him lately?
jespah

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
Haven't seen him hear or on FB.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks for the notice, RJB. Reminds me I've other friends there too. Hmmm.
Both my old friends and Mysteryman are pretty resourceful, but hope they're all ok.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:23 pm
@Ragman,
Is that like the boutique brewery stuff? You're on, something from (wait, I have to look it up). Dogfish Head, that's it. Or a certain italian brewer. (Would have to look that up too.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:27 pm
@kickycan,
Maybe it's you I need to bet a certain italian brewery beer, oh, and a dinner at the brewer's restaurant. Once I remember who he is and the place's name.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Found it -

so, Kicky, I'll stand you to dinner and beer at this place, assuming the Cardinales are victorious (you get to pay travel expenses.. for you and me and our friends)

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/travel/02Beer.html?scp=1&sq=savoring%20italy%20one%20beer%20at%20a%20time&st=cse

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Ragman, I'll make you a similar bet, and of course you'd have to pay my flight and hotel expenses - but, hey.
http://www.dogfish.com/
I just read a good long article about them - in the New Yorker, a bit ago. Illuminating, it was.

I don't particularly like beer, and haven't tried any of these. Diane and I did split a Moose Drool fairly recently.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:55 pm
Oh, my.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 09:15 pm
Well - My favorite team won, but my pick to win lost. Mr. Green
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
The word is WOW!!!! Some kind of game. For those who thought the Cards didn't belong, think about what happens if you eliminate the final play of the first half. Even if the Steelers get the pick, the game is totally different without those six points. It's even more so if Arizona gets the TD they appeared to be about to score. One helluva fun contest, but I think Kicky's 12-point spread may have been a bit optimistic.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 11:30 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Found it -

so, Kicky, I'll stand you to dinner and beer at this place, assuming the Cardinales are victorious (you get to pay travel expenses.. for you and me and our friends)

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/travel/02Beer.html?scp=1&sq=savoring%20italy%20one%20beer%20at%20a%20time&st=cse

I win! When do we leave?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:46 am
Ben Graham? how'd he go?

I know the punter does not have a large effect on the game but we are interested.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:14 am
@dadpad,

he had a so-so game --
5 punts (36 yards per punt).
his long was 45 yards, and 3 of them landed inside the 20 yard line...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:20 am
Oh My GAWD! That 100-yd-intercept and run-back by Harrison (defensive player of the year) and the game-winner last-minute TD by Santonio Holmes !

Particularly the 4th quarter, that was what I call a FOOTBALL game! Putting aside the uneven officiating, what excitement! Warner can hold his head high as his 220 yards in last quarter..and his stats for the Cards 3 post-season games stats are an enviable record. Finally, Fitzgerald got free and did well in that fourth quarter going for shorter yardage. Cards will need to learn how to tackle a bit better as it hurt them, but ultimately the team did themselves proud.

Big Ben makes the big play, it's unorthodox, but he gets it done. You cannot get him down as he slips and slides. When the games is on the line, he's the man!

Yay, Steelers! 6 SB victories.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:40 am
@Ragman,
Totally awesome.

I watched the kickoff and first 5 minutes or so of play. Then went and did other stuff.

Tuned back in immediately after the halftime show (missed Bruce, darn).

Shortly after we started watching I said to E.G., "I really like the Steelers but the nice thing about watching this [as opposed to Packers games for example] is that I don't really care. If the Cardinals win, ah well."

About 30 minutes later, as I was fidgeting and pacing and cheering and generally acting like a (pro-Steelers) idiot, he said "I thought you didn't care..."

(He was rooting for the Cards as an underdog/ catchup thing.)

What a game, what an ending. Last year and this year were both unusually close and unusually dramatic.
BigTexN

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:40 am
@sozobe,
I didn't enjoy this game at all.

The Steelers were the better team all along and the halftime score showed it. But regardless of how hard the Cards tried to hand this game on a silver platter to the Steelers via penalties...the Cards almost won?

It shouldn't have even been close...fortunately the poor play of the Steelers in the second half didn't let a 9-7 Card team slip through.

The Cardinals beat themselves. 100yds+ in penalties is a touchdown and a Super Bowl win.

Mediocre at best.

I've seen better Super Bowls and certainly better commercials.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:50 am
I did enjoy the game. Started out with no preference of winner, but as the game progressed I found myself emotionally pulling for the Cards. Then right at the end SCORE!!! The Cards, against all odds, w0uld win the Super Bowl. Then DISASTER!!!! And happy for Pittsburg. I thought it a much more entertaining Super Bowl than some runaway lopsided thing.

The ads I thought mostly unentertaining and mostly ineffective for the princely sums paid to run them.

The halftime show I thought was better than halftime shows usually are at the Super Bowl. Less frills and more entertainment and Springsteen put on a good 12-minute show.

BigTexN

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:03 am
@Foxfyre,
Speaking of Springsteen at the half, I didn't even recognize Steven Van Zandt!

He looked terrible with all the weight he's put on...wow!