Super Bowl XLIII! The Idiot's Guide To

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:44 am
@BigTexN,
Well none of us are as young as we used to be and some of us are definitely worse for wear, but nevertheless, they put on a good show. I was entertained and obviously so was the crowd in attendance. That's all you can ask from anybody in the entertainment business.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:59 am
@Foxfyre,
I loved Conan's Swedish ad.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:14 am
@sozobe,
As a sometime ad fan, I miss the ads almost more than the Superbowl - also a sometime Superbowl fan though I skipped it for a decade or so, back when. Sorry to hear they're generally less amusing..

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:39 pm
I didn't watch the game but I followed it on my computer. A very exciting one it was. One of the closest games in the history of the Superbowl, I am told.
So the NFL season ends. No more football until September. Now we can look forward to Spring. And, sure, enough today in Cville the temp got up to 60. We propped open the doors at the shop to let the place air out.
Thanks to all of you who played on this thread and on the regular season thread. It was fun.
kickycan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
Football may be over, but the Knicks are playing the Lakers, the Cavs, AND the Celtics this week. So if you're a sports junkie, relax, it's all gonna be just fine.
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:05 pm
@realjohnboy,

I missed who won this Postseason Pick 'em contest? Was it Kicky?
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:07 pm
@kickycan,
Speaking of B-ball, Lakers' Center Bynum went down with an MCL joint (knee) injury. Looks like he'll be out for 8-10 weeks. Can you say 'Laker's chances are up in smoke' unless they trade for a physical 7ft-er.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:34 pm
@Ragman,
I'll have to check on the scoring thing. I vaguely recall that ehbeth had a lock. I could be wrong.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
from 2 weeks ago:

realjohnboy wrote:

Good afternoon to yall of you.
I discovered last night my scorecard was not in a format that was decipherable. I had to re-do it. I hope I got it right. Let me know if I transcribed anything wrong.
Well, it looks like Ehbeth cleaned our collective clocks yesterday. She got 2 bronze stars in Week 1 and 2 silvers yesterday, picking both Pittsburgh and Arizona. A bunch of folks got 1 silver, largely based on the Steelers success.
Fbaezer, Region, Miz Cowdoc, Coastalrat, Ragman, Johnboy, Foxfyre, Kicky and Mysteryman had PI and Edgar and Alex scored with AZ.
Interestingly, a disproportionate number of silvers went to players who picked later rather than early. I don't know what that means.
A bronze is worth 1 point and a silver is worth 3. At this point, Ehbeth has 8 points, Foxfyre has 7 and Edgar, Fbaezer, Region and Alex have 6.
By my reckoning, if AZ wins Edgar and Alex will get gold stars and finish with 10 points. A PI victory will leave Ehbeth atop the heap with 12 points.
kickycan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:54 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Speaking of B-ball, Lakers' Center Bynum went down with an MCL joint (knee) injury. Looks like he'll be out for 8-10 weeks. Can you say 'Laker's chances are up in smoke' unless they trade for a physical 7ft-er.

Gasol and Kobe sure responded tonight with a combined 80+ points. Kobe has 54 points right now and the game still has almost half a quarter to go. I knew I should have gone to this game!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:07 pm
He ended up with 61 points, in case anyone cares. Highest amount ever put up in the Garden. And he only played 36 minutes! Dammit why didn't I go to this game!!! Idiot! Knicks lost, but that would have been amazing to see.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:09 pm
@kickycan,
Haha, Knicks suck, that's why you didn't go.

Anyways.

This was THE MOMENT from the Superbowl. That I'll never forget.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:12 am
@kickycan,

the kobester broke two records last night --
bernard king's msg point record (60), and jordan's msg visitor point record (55)...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:18 am
@realjohnboy,
thanks for the update. Lots of fun.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks for the dozen Wink
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:13 pm
NPR tonight on All Things Considered has a throw-away story on a high school BB team in St John, KS, a mere 80 miles west of Wichita. In the middle of what is eupemistically called a "rebuilding" year, the team reportedly brought in a hypnotist to work on making the lads concentrate (after getting parental permission).
The school board killed the idea.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
Over on the thread entitled "Obama '08" is a link to Mysteryman's story of the last week in W KY. Please check it out.
jespah

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 05:34 am
@realjohnboy,
That would be this link: http://able2know.org/topic/111721-584#post-3562035
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 05:30 pm
@jespah,
Thanks, Jespah.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 06:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Welcoming-the-Steelers/

Quote:
After a pivotal speech this morning, the President took a moment this afternoon to welcome the Superbowl Champions to the White House, along with approximately 50 Wounded Warriors from Walter Reed Army Medical Center and National Naval Medical Center and their families. Afterwards they all joined up to work with USO to assemble 3,000 care packages for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I was going to pop the video in, but it seems I'm youtube-impaired tonight.