Super Bowl XLIII! The Idiot's Guide To

alex240101

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:56 am
@Foxfyre,
I made one set of picks. That was not enough?
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
@alex240101,
Heck I dunno. The way it was set out I think was that everybody would pick the winners of all the games from the beginning of the playoffs to the super bowl. And that's what most of us did.

Wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong though.

However, if that is the way it is, I'm quite sure you can be afforded at least some bragging rights by picking the next games. At any rate we can discuss it here. Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:48 pm
@alex240101,
Oops, sorry, alex, I missed you. Who did you pick to win the whole enchilada?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:18 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

The following persons are still in it -- I'm listing below the team they've picked to go all the way.

AZ Cardinals
edgarblythe
alex

Baltimore Ravens
Rockhead

Philadelphia Eagles
Foxfyre
jespah

Pittsburgh Steelers
ehBeth
fbaezer
kickycan
mysteryman
Ragman
realjohnboy
Region Philbis

Bronze stars for all!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:21 pm
Who wins the game, the one who correctly predicts the Superbowl winner, or the one with most correct picks?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:51 pm
Alex did indeed pick in all of the games and has AZ as winning the Super Bowl. Jespah's list right above this post now reflects that and agrees with my list. Thanks for compiling that, Jespah.
There are two games going on here. One is the simple choice of picking the eventual winner. 12 of us are still alive; 11 are not.
The other game-the game within a game as it were-involves the bronze stars. Everyone who picked correctly this past weekend got a bronze star. A right prediction in next week's games earns a silver and a good pick in the final game gets a gold star.
The problem I faced, and I
asked for input but got none, was how much value to assign to each star. I think I have settled on 1 for a bronze, 3 for a silver and 5 for a gold.
Foxfyre had to choose quickly and chose well, getting 4 bronzes. (= 4 pts).
I have Edgar, Fbaezer, Region and Alex with 3 each.
A bunch of us with 2 stars: Osso, Wandeljw, McGentrix, Tico, CoastalRat, Johnboy, Rockhead and Ehbeth.
Jespah, Imur, Miz Cowdoc, George, Ragman, ElStud, Kicky, Cyclop and Mysteryman each got 1 right.
Cowdoc is star-less, with all of his choice ending up wrong.

wandeljw

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 03:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
The other game-the game within a game as it were-involves the bronze stars. Everyone who picked correctly this past weekend got a bronze star. A right prediction in next week's games earns a silver and a good pick in the final game gets a gold star.
The problem I faced, and I asked for input but got none, was how much value to assign to each star. I think I have settled on 1 for a bronze, 3 for a silver and 5 for a gold.

I was not aware of the game within the game. I thought I was completely dead and almost turned a cold shoulder to this thread. Smile

Thanks for coming up with the rules, RJB!
CowDoc

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Shouldn't going 0 for 4 count in some sort of positive manner? It's not as easy as you might think.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:46 pm
@wandeljw,
Of course you were not aware, Wandeljw. My wont is to make things up, like rules, on the fly.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:51 pm
@CowDoc,
Well, yes, I guess so, Cowdoc. The rest of us have been walking around today with various numbers of bronze stars pasted to our foreheads.
One of my rules was we would have to wear the stars for one day.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:58 pm
@CowDoc,
CowDoc wrote:
Shouldn't going 0 for 4 count in some sort of positive manner? It's not as easy as you might think.

He's right. How about a brown star for CowDoc?
jespah

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 06:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Perhaps brown and white, like a cow.

I didn't realize the game w/in a game dealio.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 07:04 pm
@jespah,
Well actually I was thinking brown.....Cowdoc.....cows......and that took me straight to Jim Stafford:

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 07:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Well, yes, I guess so, Cowdoc. The rest of us have been walking around today with various numbers of bronze stars pasted to our foreheads.
One of my rules was we would have to wear the stars for one day.

The day after tomorrow will be Star Wednesday. Be there or be square..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 05:38 pm
I cant go into a lot of detail on this, but I have determined that the game within a game doesn't really work with 1 point for a bronze, 3 for a silver and 5 for a gold.
I am switching it to 4 for a silver. I can explain it if asked, but I hope you will trust me on this. I am not favoring anyone.
Star Wednesday, Osso, reminds me of when our family moved to Charlottesville in 1956. There were very few Catholics here, and on Ash Wednesday my mother, my older brother and I went to the A&P, the gas station, the Post Office, and clerks offered us tissues to clear the smudges off our foreheads. There was no malice. None at all.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm an old ash on forehead person too. <pushes back her bangs>
My mother told stories of when they all moved to Los Angeles and walked (something like a mile, or maybe two) to mass, and saw curtains opening and closing along the way.
All these years later, I trust no one will freak at some simple stars.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I remember the first time I saw the smudges. I was in my late 20's, had been working for some years, had made it to the big city.

I literally thought it was some kinda city schmutz. The catolicks in my little hometown didn't bother with that kinda foreign fancy stuff. I used to go to lazy man's mass with them on Saturdays because that's where you saw the hockey players in their suits.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
Thanks for that video, Foxfyre. Amusing,
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:20 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I remember the first time I saw the smudges. I was in my late 20's, had been working for some years, had made it to the big city.

I literally thought it was some kinda city schmutz. The catolicks in my little hometown didn't bother with that kinda foreign fancy stuff. I used to go to lazy man's mass with them on Saturdays because that's where you saw the hockey players in their suits.

"...the hockey players in their suits." You are going to have to explain that, ehbeth.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Lazyman's mass, that was a new thing..
0 Replies