What's the absolute best bit of advice anyone ever gave you?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:06 pm
If you don't want something read, don't write it down
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
i told myself not to smoke before social occasions, works like a charm.

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Stay away from A2K. It'll corrupt you!

Onomatopoeic.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:26 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

When my brother was a toddler he had picked up a decaying chipmunk and was about to take a bite when I knocked the rodent from his hand and told him it would be best if he declined such a meal.

Why?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
"O" hi Gus

Was this a failed attempt to say "good morning" in Japanese?

Aiii.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:27 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

"You probably ought to come back up here. You're not the first guy I've been with tonight".

That was damn good advice....and appreciated.

Nah.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:28 am
@FreeDuck,
Awwwww!
0 Replies

marcus121

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:34 am
when I tried to tell a friend a problem I had, he said:
"Deal with it, I don't give a damn!"

it's quite blunt, but it also helps you see the truth about other people.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
The number one, absolute hands down, single best bit of advice about life and loving other people in life came to me from a dear woman named Mary Sferre.
I call her a new age nun, since she doesn't wear crazy old nun clothes AND she used to be a sex therapist earlier in her career before she moved on to doing just family and pastoral counseling) I still have a wee bit of trouble imagining a nun showing couples how to have sex. But, as I get older I think I can see that all she really had to teach them was really simple in the end. DO WHAT FEELS GOOD!! lol. Mary had got a Masters in Clinical Social Work & her Doctorate in Divinity. To this very day, the dear, kind, sweet, woman I've known in all of my life, who was the most bountiful source of vast amounts
of helpful information for me. Having survived a family of alcoholism (my mom) AND mental illness (my mom) - I was no doubt one of the most alone & pitiful souls I've ever known. Dear old Mary was a pure Godsend to me. Now her advice - has to be taken within the framework of a certain set of assumptions, or conditions. It is in NO way a license to be selfish or self seeking at all. When a person has gone deep within themselves in search of a best course of action in any given situation seeking deeply in one's self for the best answer you can find.
In the FINAL ANALYSIS - what Mary's advise was - "IF I DO WHAT IS THE VERY BEST THING FOR ME - THAT THIS WILL TURN OUT TO BE WHAT IS ALSO THE VERY BEST THING FOR EVERY OTHER PERSON WHO IS INVOLVED. (This assumes you are a somewhat elevated/spiritually evolved person to begin with - or else it could be misconstrued as a blanket for self centeredness. ) If I attempt to make any decision based on my thinking about what's best for - say someone named Roger; I will inevitably be guilty of faulty thinking because I can't ever know what is best for another human being. Never. At least with me, I do have a chance that I'll know what is the best for me, if I can be as HONEST WITH MYSELF as I must be.
Well that's it, that's my best advice story. Good idea for a topic, by the way, my dear. But then - you have a knack for coming up with good topics now
don't you????
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:03 pm
Best advice I could never follow: Don't worry, be happy - Baba Ram Dass
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:05 pm
@OGIONIK,
Actually, that's the best time to smoke (or drink for that matter)
0 Replies