What's the absolute best bit of advice anyone ever gave you?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:30 pm
When my brother was a toddler he had picked up a decaying chipmunk and was about to take a bite when I knocked the rodent from his hand and told him it would be best if he declined such a meal.
Sglass

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:48 pm
Old Daddy gave me the best advice a father could give his daughter. He said, don't every eat at a diner called Moms', don't ever play cards with a man named Doc and don't ever sleep with a man that has more problems than you do.

I'm okay with the first two of them.

"O" hi Gus
bathsheba

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:48 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
never, never listen to men holding sharp pitchforks

Smile

BAthy
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
Life is not fair
It's indifferent
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:57 pm
Hello, sglass. You are looking quite fetching tonight.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:40 am
@Gelisgesti,
Realising that life is unfair/indifferent is definitely very important, once you've got that you've got a lot less battles to fight.

Spendius once told me to 'see myself as a project,' which, being as self obsessed as I then was I lapped up, but it's definitely helped me along the road a great deal.
0 Replies

billybluesox

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:40 am
@George,
Many thanks George, your a gent.
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
"O" hi Gus

Was this a failed attempt to say "good morning" in Japanese?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:11 am
"You probably ought to come back up here. You're not the first guy I've been with tonight".

That was damn good advice....and appreciated.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
@dlowan,
"If you act like a stranger people will treat you like one"

From the mother of a girl I worked with as a cocktail waitress in my early 20's. This was a particularly hard job for me because I was very shy and found it extremely difficult to talk to people I didn't know. I hardly could speak to the cashier at the grocery store. I look back on that job as a turning point for me in terms of social growth. Anyway, my friend invited me to her mom's house for a party and it was full of people I didn't know and I was very uncomfortable. That's when the mom gave me that little piece of advice which I hadn't thought was very friendly but was still good advice.
Eorl

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:48 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I don't get it. Why did he say that to you?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:01 am
@billybluesox,
My pleasure, billybluesox.
Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:06 am
@George,
while you're there George - just want to mention this I read yesterday

Quote:
The universe labored and labored and brought forth you. You are a sentient being, conscious, self-aware, and capable of asking the point, the purpose of this. Whether or not you are but one form of energy, whether or not your consciousness persists beyond the here and now, you are here. Now.

You've thought about this quite a bit, it seems, and you have come to the
conclusion that there is no god to inform the world with meaning. Who then to do so but you? You can and will change the world. We all do, to a greater or lesser extent. How you change it and how much is up to you.

when i first tried to read it i couldn't get past the first line. My eyes kept returning to those words even when i was trying to read on. I'm not sure exactly why, but suddenly i felt better about some stuff
Does it really matter if we don't know who we are - or who our parents are?
Maybe what we do with the life given us is more important than any inheritance.

Quote:
You can and will change the world. We all do, to a greater or lesser extent. How you change it and how much is up to you.

i truly wish that someone had said this to me when i was about fifteen years old, but thanks George, for saying it now.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@Endymion,
Hmm.
I'd say thats a bit idealistic.
Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:51 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
no. it's perfect.
(it was said to 'starchild' after all. )

perfect at the time and for the occasion, if you know what i'm saying.
maybe it IS idealistic out of context - but you had to be there

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:25 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Hey, Bear. Great to see ya.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:29 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Re: Endymion (Post 3523900)
Hmm.
I'd say thats a bit idealistic.

It is and I am.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:39 am
@Endymion,
Endymion~
Thank you very much for that feedback.
~George
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:48 pm
LASIC SURGERY. The best $1000 I have ever spent. Would do it all over again. Cheap sunglasses.

Andy Chrsitensen, CWS-II
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 12:06 am
@dlowan,
'The heart is what is important. There is nothing more vulnerable, nothing more corruptible than the human mind; nor is there anything as powerful, steadfast and ennobling.'
0 Replies