THE WAR IN GAZA

Foofie

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:44 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

Foofie wrote:
...Israel never, nor wanted to, colonize(d) any lands that Palestineans thought of their own...
idiot

I think the "d" is incorrect in the sentence above. My original had no "d."

We might have different definitions of colonization. However, when the Visigoths plotzed down in the Iberian Peninsula, there must have been indigenous people there already. So, my point is, let us just say that Israel, with the blessing of the UN, was allowed to plotz down in that Hebraic land, and only because we have such a small world, compared to the days of the Goths plotzing down somewhere in Europe, is there an outcry. Maybe we should just say the Brits were correcting the injustice done by the Romans by creating the Diaspora?

Also, should Australia go back to the aboriginees?
Foofie

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:50 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

To be perfectly candid, I wonder how much of the world-wide anti-Israel sentiment, and pro-Arab sentiment, is based on some primal fear, that in some future century, Israel, left to its own devices, could take over enough of the region to support a population (of Jews) of a few hundred million. In other words, is there a paranoia about how the world would be if there were many more Jews acting independently in their own country. I believe there are portions of the western world that would not be comfortable with that thought. And, Arabs have proven themselves to be less of a threat, in the eyes of many, I believe.

In other words, rather than say world-wide anti-Zionist rhetoric might include some anti-Semites, it may also include Judeophobia (Jews are okay, as long as they cannot become a threat by increasing in great numbers).

Interesting. However, the Jews of Israel and those of the United States as well have shown no inclination to achieve such fertility. Indeed their behavior in this area has mimicked that of middle class and prosperous people all over the world. Absent any indication of rapidly rising Jewish population, your speculation about motives appears a bit ridiculous -- particularly in the face of the many real and serious problems the world faces as a result of the Israeli Palestinioan controversy.

Au contraire, guvnor. You do not know about the birthrate of the Orthodox or the Ultra Orthodox? Eight children is what many have. Six is what many have. Few have only four. Given peace and land and you can do the math. They would multiply, since they are not the secular Jews of Hollywood, or the suburbs of our large metropolises.

For a nice goyisha guy that spent your life in one career, you do know much about many things. God bless you.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:49 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Au contraire, guvnor. You do not know about the birthrate of the Orthodox or the Ultra Orthodox? Eight children is what many have. Six is what many have. Few have only four. Given peace and land and you can do the math. They would multiply, since they are not the secular Jews of Hollywood, or the suburbs of our large metropolises.

For a nice goyisha guy that spent your life in one career, you do know much about many things. God bless you.

Must be my goyishe kop !

I don't know any ultra Orthodox, but I grew up near the border between the Jewish & Irish neighborhoods in Detroit where there were lots of Orthodox, and even us Goy could detect the tensions between the German & Russian Jews. By age 11 I was as adept at sneaking my Jewish pals into the CYO gym as I was at replacing my sacred heart medal with a mezzuza and going with them to the nearby JCC (sometimes we had to attend Hebrew instruction before the basketball, but memorizing incomprehensible stuff in a strange language wasn't a big deal for a Catholic altar boy).
okie

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

okie wrote:

I still do not believe Israel and Palestine can be compared to Northern Ireland.

Well I DID compare them and offered powerful analogies and a profound lesson from history.

I know you compared them, and I don't think its a valid comparison.

Quote:
You are merely asserting, without any proof or rational argument, that the comparison is somehow invalid and the lesson of history inapplicable in the case of Israel. OK by me if you wish to believe that. However, don't try to pretend you have offered any reasonable argument to support your case.

You have no rational argument to assert that Northern Ireland is anything like Israel or Palestine. The religious, historical, and cultural differences are starkly different. That should be obvious to anyone.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:29 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

You have no rational argument to assert that Northern Ireland is anything like Israel or Palestine. The religious, historical, and cultural differences are starkly different. That should be obvious to anyone.

But I never said Northern Ireland "was like" Israel or Palestine.

Instead I said that the essential elements of the conflict were strongly analogous to that in Palestine - a cultural/religious conflict that arose out of the fairly rapid intrusion of one people into and on the territory long occupied with another; all augmented by a sponsoring state that "protected" the intruding people. My point was the conflict lasted more than 300 years and the oppressed minority never gave up. Finally when the sponsoring state wearied of the effort required and found that it no longer derived any benefit from it; when the oppressed population had grown to a demographic majority; and when most of the world became appalled at the increasing brutality inflicted on the oppressed minority - often incited by their own terrorism; the sponsors and the oppressors gave up their support and the opposing peoples were forced to make compromises with each other and create conditions of near equality between and among themselves.

THAT is the lesson history provides us concerniong the likely outcome of the conflict in Palestine.
Foofie

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:40 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Must be my goyishe kop !

I don't know any ultra Orthodox, but I grew up near the border between the Jewish & Irish neighborhoods in Detroit where there were lots of Orthodox, and even us Goy could detect the tensions between the German & Russian Jews. By age 11 I was as adept at sneaking my Jewish pals into the CYO gym as I was at replacing my sacred heart medal with a mezzuza and going with them to the nearby JCC (sometimes we had to attend Hebrew instruction before the basketball, but memorizing incomprehensible stuff in a strange language wasn't a big deal for a Catholic altar boy).

Nice thoughts. It can become part of the story line in some future play/movie that takes off from the earlier Abbie's Irish Rose (Broadway play of the 1940's).

All kidding aside, while Irish and Jewish neighborhoods were often literally adjacent to each other, back in the earlier part of the 20th century, the two groups had learned from overt hostilities in the turn of the 20th century to basically avoid each other, from what I heard. And, the German and Russian (Eastern European really, including Polish) were only co-religionists, in name only, in my opinion. I think both groups picked up more of the non-Jewish culture from their respective countries (Germany/Russia), than they might want to always admit. They just appeared to avoid each other for the most part, in my opinion. However, it was the German Jews that owned the companies in the garment industry, in the early part of the 20th century, that the Russian Jews worked in. Only today, have Jews of Russian descent (third generation born American) might marry someone of German descent? But, then again, today over 50 percent of young American Jews are supposed to be marrying out of the faith. That does not just mean that the U.S.A. will have a smaller Jewish population in the future (not accounting for the birthrate of the Orthodox), but there then is an exploding population of people who do not identify themselves as Jews, yet have some relative that is/was. Perhaps, similar to the Irish, since many Americans in the "hinterlands" start counting off the different ethnics groups in their families, and so often include "Irish." Speaking of Irish, you do know who was just "knighted" by the Queen.

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
@Foofie,
ok foof I apologise, I should not have called you an idiot. Thats direct personal abuse and isnt very gentlemanly. So thanks for not raising to the bait.

Regarding the "d", no you did not use it but I thought I had to add it to make grammatical sense, but on re reading it it wasnt necessary. So thats another apology...dammit Smile
georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:00 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

All kidding aside, while Irish and Jewish neighborhoods were often literally adjacent to each other, back in the earlier part of the 20th century, the two groups had learned from overt hostilities in the turn of the 20th century to basically avoid each other, from what I heard.
True to some degree, but that was mostly a result of the fact that they came to this country in adjacent waves and were very often competing with each other for the first step off the bottom of the economic ladder. Similar, and worse, antagonism existed between the Irish and the Italians and the Poles. Indeed as each group (Irish, Jews & Italians particularly) ascended through the criminal phase of their social/economic ascent their gangs made war on each other.
Foofie wrote:

And, the German and Russian (Eastern European really, including Polish) were only co-religionists, in name only, in my opinion. I think both groups picked up more of the non-Jewish culture from their respective countries (Germany/Russia), than they might want to always admit. They just appeared to avoid each other for the most part, in my opinion. However, it was the German Jews that owned the companies in the garment industry, in the early part of the 20th century, that the Russian Jews worked in. Only today, have Jews of Russian descent (third generation born American) might marry someone of German descent?
Not too different from Irish, Italian, and Polish Catholics.
Foofie wrote:

But, then again, today over 50 percent of young American Jews are supposed to be marrying out of the faith. That does not just mean that the U.S.A. will have a smaller Jewish population in the future (not accounting for the birthrate of the Orthodox), but there then is an exploding population of people who do not identify themselves as Jews, yet have some relative that is/was. Perhaps, similar to the Irish, since many Americans in the "hinterlands" start counting off the different ethnics groups in their families, and so often include "Irish."
I understand that the largest ethnic group in this country is German; the Irish are second. The melting pot works on everyone.

Foofie wrote:

Speaking of Irish, you do know who was just "knighted" by the Queen.
I've always thought of the Kennedys as crypto WASPs, or perhaps even Jews. Wink
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:08 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

ok foof I apologise, I should not have called you an idiot. Thats direct personal abuse and isnt very gentlemanly. So thanks for not raising to the bait.

Regarding the "d", no you did not use it but I thought I had to add it to make grammatical sense, but on re reading it it wasnt necessary. So thats another apology...dammit Smile

These WASPs are a cranky bunch Foofie, but sometimes they can impress !
okie

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:28 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

THAT is the lesson history provides us concerniong the likely outcome of the conflict in Palestine.

I do not see the same liklihood as you. Not at all. But as George Bush used to say, let us just have a difference of opinion here.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:35 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

If you really want to ingratiate yourself, start writing with American English spelling (i.e., "apologize," not "apologise"). Paraphrasing the joke I heard on radio, that is going around British financial markets, is that the economy in Britain will be getting better, as Britain will become the 51st State.
Foofie

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:42 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Steve 41oo wrote:

These WASPs are a cranky bunch Foofie, but sometimes they can impress !

I would not say cranky as a stereotype. I would say occasionally quite enamored with their family's personal history, to the point of telling people the history as a way of introducing themselves beyond being a stranger.

I do think they look good in the LL Bean catalog. Tallish, blondish, and always neat. As we were told in kindergarten, "neatness counts."

And, I am not sure any other group could have settled this country from coast to coast.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:10 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Steve 41oo wrote:

If you really want to ingratiate yourself, start writing with American English spelling (i.e., "apologize," not "apologise"). Paraphrasing the joke I heard on radio, that is going around British financial markets, is that the economy in Britain will be getting better, as Britain will become the 51st State.
no I should not have called you an idiot. Now thinking of a more appropriate word...

Really have you no sense of humour foof? or even humor? Foofypuss?
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:46 pm
@Steve 41oo,
It's not only humour that foofie is lacking..
georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:01 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

It's not only humour that foofie is lacking..

Well humor, including the ability to laugh at yourself, would be a good start in this case.
Francis

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:30 am
@georgeob1,
Trying to get a rise out of me again, George?

My understanding of humor and human values is not compatible with foofie's..

Spreading revisionism and falsehood is not my cup of tea..
Advocate

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:44 am
The piece below brings out the beast-like nature of Hamas. Moreover, Israel should not give anything for the return Shalit. Should anything be given, it will not be long before Hamas kidnaps again to extort other benefits. This was the scenario when Reagan gave weapons to Iran in return for kidnapped Americans in Lebanon.

Turkey 'quit Shalit talks due to Hamas demands'

By Haaretz Service

The Saudi newspaper Al-Watan reported on Tuesday that Turkey has ceased trying to broker a deal for the release of abducted Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit due to excessive Hamas demands, Israel Radio said.

The newspaper based the report on comments by diplomatic sources. The sources were also quoted as saying that Israel's "weakness" and lack of support for its efforts had led Turkey to pull out of the negotiations.

They said Hamas' excessive demands had also triggered Turkey's decision to pull out of the negotiations, Al-Watan reported.

The report came after Turkish news channel CNN Turk reported in early Febraury that a deal to secure Shalit's release could be reached very shortly. The channel said Turkish officials were holding talks at the time with Hamas officials in Damascus.

Hamas deputy political chief Moussa Abu Marzouk, meanwhile, was quoted by the pan-Arab newspaper Al-Sharq al-Awsat on Tuesday as denying a report that he was in possession of vide showing Shalit.

The Kuwaiti newspaper Al Jarida reported on Monday that Abu Marzouk had received the tape, in which Shalit was said to appear in good health, during a visit to Gaza.

But Abu Marzouk told Al-Sharq al-Awsat that he did not receive such a video during the visit. He was quoted as adding that he did not even meet with any Hamas officials while in Gaza. Shalit was abducted in a 2006 cross-border raid by Gaza militants. He is believed to be still held in the Hamas-ruled territory.

A senior official in the Prime Minister's Office said Monday that Israel does not know anything about the videotape, Israel Radio reported.

The official said Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is using every possible avenue to ensure Shalit's release and will do so up until the end of his tenure.

Meanwhile, Ofer Dekel, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's special envoy in the negotiations over the release of Shalit, arrived in Cairo on Sunday for more talks with Egyptian officials.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Steve 41oo wrote:

no I should not have called you an idiot. Now thinking of a more appropriate word...

Really have you no sense of humour foof? or even humor? Foofypuss?

John Cleese has a sense of humor (not humour). Prince Charles has a sense of humor. Stan Laurel had a sense of humor. (I will not mention Charles Chaplin - too politically sensitive in the U.S.A..) If one does not think that I have a sense of humor, why should I want one, when the definition is being compared to the above people with an obvious sense of humor. Foofie has humility, not humor.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:20 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
.. Foofie has humility, not humor..
And yet you expect me to use American spelling of English words! That doesn't sound very humble to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:10 pm
Quote:
RAMALLAH, West Bank (Reuters) - Hamas's popularity among Palestinians has risen sharply since a three-week Israeli war in January devastated the Islamist-ruled Gaza Strip, an opinion poll released Monday showed.

If an election were held today, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh would beat Mahmoud Abbas, the Western-backed Palestinian president and leader of Fatah who advocates a peace deal with Israel.

The face-to-face poll of 1,270 people by the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research was conducted on March 5-7 in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, as the factions tried to reach agreement on a unity government with Egyptian mediation.
[...]
The survey said Haniyeh would garner 47 percent support, beating Abbas with 45 percent, if a presidential election was held today. Three months ago, Abbas received 48 percent and Haniyeh 38 percent.

But if the competition were between Haniyeh and Marwan Barghouthi, the popular Fatah leader currently imprisoned by Israel, Barghouthi would win by 61 percent to 34 percent, the survey showed.

Fatah, however, remains the most popular faction with 40 percent of overall support, compared to 42 percent last December, it said. The popularity of Hamas in the same period increased from 28 percent to 33 percent in the latest poll.
[...]
Full report at Reuters
0 Replies