THE WAR IN GAZA

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:57 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
So apparently, we agree more then we disagree.

I think so. I truly think so. But the few areas where we are in disagreement are monsters. Really!

Quote:

According to the Hamas charter, they want Israel totally destroyed...
http://www.mideastweb.org/hamas.htm

I suspect that is only because they cannot conceive of the state of Israel simply leaving the Middle East. I think if Israel were out of the Middle East...Hamas wouldn't give a rat's ass about it.

Quote:

I've been thinking New Mexico...or South Dakota. In either place, things could be built to simulate holy areas of the old land.

And what would you do with the people living there?
There are 1,903,289 people living in New Mexico, along with several historic sites.
Would you allow those sites to remain owned by the US, or would you turn them over also?
There are 770,883 people living in South Dakota, so you would have to decide what to do with them.

Your plan is not feasible at all.

Okay...so go to plan B...either the Arabs destroy all the Jews...or the Jews destroy all the Arabs...or neither side ever gets anything remotely resembling peace from now on.

You cannot have your cake and eat is too.

If you are right that the "move" to the United States is unfeasible...and that a move anywhere else is also...you are stuck with what exists.

Quote:
PART YOU DIDN'T COVER: But if the Jews want a peaceful existence...then they gotta get the state of Israel out of the Middle East...where it should not have been installed in the first place.

Quote:
Are you saying that the Jews in Israel today should be made to suffer for decisions made by people in the 1940's?

Nope, I'm saying that there will never be peace if the state of Israel exists in the Middle East and any Arabs live there also.

Quote:
Many of the people living in Israel today werent even alive when Israel was created.
Why should they have to move from the only home they know, just to please a group that doesnt like them?

Because they want to live in peace...and they can't if they continue to have a state of Israel over there.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Israel should be allowed to exist right where it is

Yup, I know you do. I am merely pointing out the problem with that being the case.

Quote:
...and the Arab nations are going to have to learn to live with them in peace.

THEY ARE????

And why is that...is it written on some tablet somewhere, Mysteryman?

Listen...'cause this is one of those monster areas where we disagree completely: One thing is absolutely certain: The Arabs and the Arab nations do not HAVE TO learn to live with Israel in peace...and I would stake every penny I own and can borrow that it will not ever happen.

Certainly it will never happen in our life times...in the lifetimes of our children...in the lifetimes of their children and their children after them.

The best guess that can be made on this is...I ain't ever gonna happen.

Keep Israel right where it is if you insist...but there will always be Arabs dedicated to the destruction of the state of Israel in the Middle East...with a dedication that western minds can barely comprehend.

They will strap dynamite onto their bodies and ******* blow themselves up to strike a blow against Isreal!

Don't you get it???? We are not talking about some minor disagreement here!

You will never even come close to stopping them or their hatred...and I seriously doubt you will ever come even close to matching their zeal on this issue. And I say that knowing your zeal is considerable.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:00 pm
By the same token, MM, why should Palestinians alive today be made to suffer for the decisions Israelis made in the 1940s? And why should Palestinians alive in the 1940s still alive today be made to suffer for the Israeli decisions which forced them off their land? Jews were roughly 5% of the population in Palestine before WWI. They hadn't been a majority in the land since well before the 7th century. The Balfour decision and the League of Nations mandate were some of the last vestiges of the imperialism of the 19th century. Since WWII it's been unthinkable under international law for someone to have the presumption or the presumed legality to give away someone else's land. That's the root of the problem, and Israel has spent 60 years refusing to deal with it. Never any substantive negotiation about reparations or the right of return. They have essentially said that Palestinians must accept in total the Israeli position before they will consider the Palestinian position, which means that before the Palestinians can talk to Israel they must accept the Israeli position that the Palestinian position has no validity--hell of a negotiating tactic to insist that you have to cede your entire list of grievances before your opponents will talk about them.
revel

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
I don't believe I ever heard the Palestinian side better expressed on these threads. (not that I am any kind of authority or anything, it is just that every time I try to express it, it just ends up all jumbled and tortured.)
Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
@revel,
The Israelis want to carve out an apartheid and racist Jewish state out of Arab land. Its been going on for 60 years and their project is not finished yet. Transfer of Arabs out of "Judea" and "Samaria" is the next step. Thats why Isreal will never accept a viable Palestinian state on territory they mistakenly believe was given to the Children of Israel by God.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
While I can appreciate what you’re saying Frank, I think I am less pessimistic than you. I don’t think human nature is always engraved in granite and people can change their perspective and attitudes when given sufficient rationale or reason to do so. Who would have thought that those narrow minded rigid religious American colonies enforcing their religion in the 18th century would now be populated with people who would be horrified at such a concept? Who would have thought that early 20th Century Germany and Japan would become people dedicated to democracy and human rights and friends to all the world?

Even among the rigid religious orthodoxy and intolerant politics of the Middle East, we have seen Egypt and Jordan prefer peace to perpetual war and there is no longer threat to Israel from either and no hositlities between those countries and Israel.

I believe that other Arab peoples are also capable of coming to believe in a better way than perpetual war. That will be delayed, however, so long as sympathy lies with the aggressors and the UN and others give organizations like Hamas as much legitimacy as Israel who much more emulates intended UN ideals:

Posted on the Israel, Hezbollah, Hamas thread (along with similar clips on the original PLO and Hezbollah) here: http://able2know.org/topic/79142-355#post-3549431

Quote:
Hamas's charter calls for an end to Israel, but Hamas did not mention that aspect of its charter in its electoral manifesto during the 2006 election campaign.[44] On 25 January 2006, after winning the Palestinian elections, Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Zahar gave an interview to Al-Manar TV denouncing foreign demands that Hamas recognize Israel's right to exist.[62] After the establishment of Hamas government, Dr Al-Zahar stated his "dreams of hanging a huge map of the world on the wall at my Gaza home which does not show Israel on it...I hope that our dream to have our independent state on all historic Palestine (including Israel). This dream will become real one day. I'm certain of this because there is no place for the state of Israel on this land". He also "didn't rule out the possibility of having Jews, Muslims and Christians living under the sovereignty of an Islamic state, adding that the Palestinians never hated the Jews and that only the Israeli occupation was their enemy".[63] In November 2008 Ismail Haniyah said that Hamas was willing to accept a Palestinian state within the 1949 armistice lines, and offered Israel "a long-term hudna, or truce, if Israel recognized the Palestinians' national rights."[64]

Hamas's charter calls for the eventual creation of an Islamic Republic in their historic homeland of Palestine, in place of Israel.[65] Hamas sees this view as an Islamic religious duty and prophesy that comes directly from Hadith.[66] In 1999, late Hamas co-founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin mentioned the year 2027 as the possible date for the "disappearance" of Israel.[67] The group has not issued a clear statement about how it would deal with the current population of Israel, should it succeed in overthrowing Israeli and secular Palestinian government. Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi, one of its co-founders, stated that the movement's goal is "to remove Israel from the map".[68]
Hamas uses both political activities and violence to pursue its goal of establishing an Islamic Palestinian state in place of Israel and the secular Palestinian Authority.[69] Israeli military operations during the al-Aqsa Intifada in 2002 put pressure on Hamas in the West Bank following several bombings in Israel. Hamas has also engaged in peaceful political activities, including running candidates in West Bank Chamber of commerce elections.
During the election campaign the organization stated in its election manifesto that it was prepared to use "armed resistance to end the occupation".[70]

The slogan of Hamas is "God is its target, the Prophet is its model, the Qur'an its constitution. Hamas states that its objective is to support the oppressed and wronged and "to bring about justice and defeat injustice, in word and deed." Hamas has stated that "the land of Palestine is an Islamic Waqf (trust) consecrated for future Muslim generations until Judgement Day." The 1988 Hamas Covenant states that "so-called peaceful solutions and international conferences" are "in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic Resistance Movement", stating "there is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad".[71]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:06 pm
"Aggressor" is a slippery term, Fox. To the Palestinians the Israelis are the aggressors, they took the Palestinians' lands in war. It wasn't Egyptian or Jordanian land they took, it was Palestinian, which is a reason Jordan and Egypt are not as directly concerned.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:12 pm
At least now the Israelian government admits that some of their white phosphorous attacks on Gaza "could be illegal".

That after weeks of denying that white phosporus was used at all ...
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
That after weeks of denying that white phosporus was used at all

only after non Palestinians came forward with proof. Now Israel is claiming that it was not policy, that one or a few units violated orders, like that would be so much better. Either way the Israeli government is guilty of the use of phosphorous.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

"Aggressor" is a slippery term, Fox. To the Palestinians the Israelis are the aggressors, they took the Palestinians' lands in war. It wasn't Egyptian or Jordanian land they took, it was Palestinian, which is a reason Jordan and Egypt are not as directly concerned.

But it was the Palestinians who started the war aided and abetted by Egypt, Jordan, Syria et al. Some of the land that the Israelis took was Egyptian land and they aren't giving it back. Egypt has accepted that and made peace anyway.

As indicated in the Hamas manifesto as well as the original PLO manisfesto and the Hezbollah manisfesto, the problem is not land taken or occupied by Israel. The problem is the existence of Israel and all Palestinian leadership wants and/or intends to obliterate Israel.

Israel does not attack Palestinians except in retaliation to Palestinian intended, attempted, or actual attack. That makes the Palestinians the aggressors. Whatever eyebrow raising crimes or dubious policy either exhibited in the past is no excuse for crimes or dubious policy committed now. Shall we forever condemn Germans and Germany for their treatment of Jews? Or when they changed their attitude and policy, was it appropriate to treat Germany as it is now and not as it once was?

The same attitude should be extended to Israel and the Jews.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
While I can appreciate what you’re saying Frank, I think I am less pessimistic than you.

I'd bet big bucks that you are less pessimistic than I, Foxfyre. On the question of peace in the Middle East...there are very few people on the planet as pessimistic as I"or at least, who are willing to articulate the pessimism as I am.

I would have trouble explaining how distressed I feel about that, because my natural inclinations are toward optimism. I can, and have found, a silver lining in a diagnosis of cancer"while in the recovery room from the operation when the cancer was found.

But on this, Foxfyre, I just do not see any chance for accommodation whatsoever.

Hope I'm wrong.

I KNOW I will not live to see it.

I know the people of the Mediterranean littoral. They are stone headed to a fault...Italian, Greek, Arab, Jew...all of 'em. There will still be people fighting this battle thousands of years from now.

I want peace for all the people of the world"to have the pond settle down.

But these squabblers in this area never stop. Both sides are like kids bickering in a playground.

It will never stop.

Quote:
Even among the rigid religious orthodoxy and intolerant politics of the Middle East, we have seen Egypt and Jordan prefer peace to perpetual war and there is no longer threat to Israel from either and no hositlities between those countries and Israel.

Foxfyre...I see the “peace” with Jordan and Egypt to be a respite; especially so with Egypt. A short time out...not the end of the game. The person in the street, especially in Egypt, often is as angry with their own government for playing this game as they are with Israel. The supposed “peace” with these countries is an illusion.

Quote:
I believe that other Arab peoples are also capable of coming to believe in a better way than perpetual war. That will be delayed, however, so long as sympathy lies with the aggressors and the UN and others give organizations like Hamas as much legitimacy as Israel who much more emulates intended UN ideals:

Posted on the Israel, Hezbollah, Hamas thread (along with similar clips on the original PLO and Hezbollah) here: http://able2know.org/topic/79142-355#post-3549431
Quote:
Hamas's charter calls for an end to Israel, but Hamas did not mention that aspect of its charter in its electoral manifesto during the 2006 election campaign.[44] On 25 January 2006, after winning the Palestinian elections, Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Zahar gave an interview to Al-Manar TV denouncing foreign demands that Hamas recognize Israel's right to exist.[62] After the establishment of Hamas government, Dr Al-Zahar stated his "dreams of hanging a huge map of the world on the wall at my Gaza home which does not show Israel on it...I hope that our dream to have our independent state on all historic Palestine (including Israel).
This is a huge part of the problem"but from a different perspective than I think you are offering.

Since the original dispute is between Israel's right to exit...and Palestinian demands that the state of Israel not exist where it is...

...the very existence of Israel in that area is a concession on the part of the Palestinians that the Israelis can only match by a comparable concession...which can only be ending its existence in the area.

People keep talking about the concessions Israel makes...but the very existence of Israel there is a concession by the other side that dwarfs all the supposed Israeli concessions to date.

Be optimistic, Foxfyre. It is a wonderful trait...and I wish I could bring my naturally optimistic spirit to this issue...but I don't see it happening.

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 02:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, sometime in the future, probably when we meet in heaven--I'm optimistic about that too. Smile--perhaps St. Peter would allow us to settle a small wager. How about you buy me a cappuccino grande at Starbucks if there is essentially peace in the Middle East say by 2059? And I'll buy you your choice of beverage if any Middle Eastern country is still going at it tooth and nail with another.

(Hope that cancer diagnosis has had a happy ending?)
High Seas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve - you, unlike most of our correspondents here, know your Milton (Paradise Lost, to be precise), and so therefore know whence the quote "...eyeless in Gaza..." originates. It seems to me nonsensical to argue what was written by bards centuries before you or I were born - and seems sure to outlive us Smile
spendius

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:26 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Promise was that I
Should Israel from Philistian yoke deliver;
Ask for this great deliverer now, and find him
Eyeless in Gaza at the mill with slaves
Foofie

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:13 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The Jews have had a fantastic amount of goodwill as a result of events in Germany and this recent trouble has squandered a great deal of it. That goodwill effectively neutralised anti-semitism. A lot of what might be seen as legitimate criticism of Jewish activity has been muted for fear of being branded a Nazi.

I did say that history is bunk. Replaying the past goes nowhere. Which group hasn't been persecuted some time or other? How about the aboriginal Americans? What about optimising their existence?

There's no anti-semitism here that I can see. I don't see your post as a serious answer to the proposition I raised.

You explained nothing Foofie. Except maybe that you cast yourself into Watson mode by your sarcastic comment.

Do you see what you wrote in the first sentence above? In effect, Gentiles are fickle philo-Semites. One minute when Jews are being good underdogs, they are liked. When they protect themselves, everyone watches to make sure they do not go overboard. And, if they do, in some people's opinion, then they can be "Bad Jew." Did you know Foofie was the favorite hunting spaniel of one of your kings? See I appropriately took on the most preferred identity of many a European, I believe.

The value of history is it reflects how we learn. All experience is just learning. History is how a group learns. Some Jews have learned not to trust Gentiles - i.e., Arbeit Macht Frei, and those shower heads that just spit out Zyklon B gas.

Sorry, be an intellectual with someone else. You are talking from the position of someone that spells "favor," "favour," meaning you have a perspective that is not that of Jews. Perhaps, a few British Jews, but do not be so bold as to speak for the benefit of all Jews. Oh, and by the way, who was that in the Royal family that showed up to a Halloween party in a Nazi uniform. You see, there is no reason to believe your feelings will survive. That is why Israel needs to exist.

And thank you for comparing Jews, with their over abundance of Nobel Prize winners, with aboriginal peoples. You British are funny sometimes, and you do not even know it.

Advocate

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
Israel did take Egyptian land in the '67 war, but happily returned it when the countries reached an accord with recognition of Israel.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:25 pm
@spendius,
Quite so, my dear Spendius, and please pay no attention to Puffiefoofie here: peoples whose main cultural inheritance is getting quasi-exterminated (they have a term for this, untranslatable into any Western language) on a regular schedule (in re Heinrich Heine, quoted just above Milton on this page) tend to be verbose. They have to make up for lost time, and lay out word reserves for the next time - kind of like squirrels, except uglier - and ignoring them is best Smile
High Seas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre - how could you?! Perhaps you're right, though, and Saint Peter really does run a baccarat table, and a betting booth, and a poker table... but I've no idea what happens if you lose all your chips, and it's probably a long way down......Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:03 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Gentiles are fickle philo-Semites... Did you know Foofie was the favorite hunting spaniel of one of your kings?...You are talking from the position of someone that spells "favor," "favour," meaning you have a perspective that is not that of Jews. Perhaps, a few British Jews,...You British are funny sometimes, and you do not even know it.
Speaking as a British fickle philo-semite

I edited the above post just for fun Smile
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:17 am
@High Seas,
If foofie continues in his victim mode a not so fickle philo-semetic might think it useful to lay out some of the legitimate criticisms of Jewish activity.

foofie should make a greater effort to be an American.

If he consults the Urban Dictionary he will find that "foofie" has connotations other than some old king's dog's name.

It certainly is an odd name for someone who bandies about words like "fickle".
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:27 am
@Foxfyre,
You are on, Foxfyre! 2059 it is!

If there is a God and a Heaven...I figure I will win that bet for sure--and that I will be in the right place to collect!

Non-Hodgkins lymphoma in remission since 1996.

As the optimist who fell off the roof of a very tall building was heard to say while when zooming past the 15th floor, "All's well so far!"

I guess you could say my oncologist was not very optimistic, though! He told me that even if I got past this, something else would eventually get me. I would definitely die some day!
0 Replies