THE WAR IN GAZA

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:12 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
But what of Israel's right of self-defense? It exists, but it doesn't apply.

Israel, when it conquered the occupied territories in 1967, could have established a sovereign Palestinian state. This would have made the Palestinians, not a subject people at the mercy of their conqueror, but an independent people, responsible for their own acts and for keeping the peace with other sovereign states. Had the Palestinians then attacked Israel, Israel would have had the right to respond in self-defense.

But Israel didn't do that. Instead, it kept the Palestinians at its mercy, and its mercy didn't materialize. Israel embarked on a settlement policy that amounted to a declaration of war on a helpless population. The settlements were part of a project to take the Palestinians' land, all of it, for the use and enjoyment of the Jewish people. Of course Israel did not explicitly say it was going to take from the Palestinians the very ground on which they stood. But the settlements kept spreading, mopping up an increasing share of vital resources, and behind them was a settler movement, hugely powerful not only in the occupied territories but in Israel itself. This bunch of coddled fanatics, many of them American, quite openly proclaimed their determination to secure the whole of Biblical Israel for exclusively Jewish use. The Israeli government backed these racial warriors with unlimited military protection and extensive financial support.

These trends continue to the present day. Sure, Israel got the settlers out of Gaza, and I'm convinced that even Ariel Sharon, not to mention his successors, truly desired to resolve the conflict by withdrawing from the occupied territories and allowing something like a Palestinian state. But my convictions have no weight against what any reasonable Palestinian, or any reasonable human being, has to conclude: that given the continued strength of the settler movement, the continued popularity of the Israeli right, the continued military protection of the West Bank settlements, their continued expansion, and the Israeli government's all-too-obvious readiness to fight for whatever is politically popular to the last drop of Palestinian blood... given all this, the Palestinians are still faced with a mortal threat. They are still faced with a sovereign whose intentions, if not entirely clear, clearly countenance alternatives leading to an extreme humanitarian disaster for the Palestinians, and perhaps to the entire expropriation of most Palestinians' necessities of life.

This means that Israel is the aggressor in this conflict, and the Palestinians fight in self-defense. Under these circumstances, Israel's right of self-defense cannot justify Israeli violence. Israel is certainly entitled to protect its citizens by evacuation and other non-violent measures, but it is not entitled to harm a hair on the head of a Palestinian firing rockets into Israeli cities, whether or not these rockets kill innocent civilians.

Self-defense gives you the right to resist attacks by any means necessary, and therefore, certainly, by the only means available. The Palestinians don't have the option of using violence which hits only military targets - apparently even the Israelis, with all their intelligence data and all their technological might, don't have that option! But suppose a bunch of thugs install themselves, with their families, all around your farm. They have taken most of your land and resources; they're out for more. If this keeps up, you will starve, perhaps die. They are armed to the teeth and abundantly willing to use those arms. The only way you can defend yourself is to make them pay as heavy a price as possible for their siege and their constant encroachment on your living space. You're critically low on food and medical supplies, and the thugs cut off those supplies whenever they please. What's more, the only weapons available to you are indiscriminate, and will harm their families as well as the thugs themselves. You can use those weapons, even knowing they will kill innocents. You don't have to let the thugs destroy you, thereby sacrificing your innocents (including yourself) to spare theirs. Since innocents are under mortal threat in either case, you needn't prefer the attackers' to your own.

This may not be the most high-minded conclusion. However it's a conclusion we are forced to accept - we who very clearly countenance the killing and maiming of civilians in situations not nearly so precarious as what it is to be a Palestinian in the conquered, shrinking occupied territories. The thugs should keep their families from harm by ceasing their onslaught and withdrawing from the scene. Israel's obligation is similar. It must defend itself at the least cost to others. It should keep its families from harm by giving the Palestinians complete control of their external borders and allowing the creation of a Palestinian state. After this, if Israel is attacked, it can respond. Before, its response is not legitimate self-defense but continued aggression.

This is not about good and bad arguments for Palestinian resistance. It's about whether the defenders of the Palestinians want to vent, or whether they want to at least try to make a difference. If the bad or evasive arguments are effective, fine. My feeling is, they're not.

http://www.counterpunch.org/neumann01132009.html

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:21 pm
Quote:
It's Time for Your Check-Up

Bend Over Professor Dershowitz

By FRANKLIN LAMB

Beirut.

"Israel is leveling Gaza to strike at Hamas, just as they pulverized south Lebanon to strike at Hezbollah. Yet in both cases civilian populations were attacked, countless innocents killed or injured, infrastructure targeted and destroyed, and civil law enforcement negated. All this was, and is, disproportionate, indiscriminate mass violence in violation of international law. Israel is not exempt from international law and must be held accountable. It is time for the UN to not just call for a cease-fire, but for an inquiry as to Israel's illegal actions." " US Congressman Dennis Kucinich, 12/29/08

Typically, within the first ten days or so of enrolling in an American law school, in this observer's case, Boston University School of Law, a student will begin to receive from professors or seasoned upper classmates, plenty of gratuitous but well intentioned advice. One bit that still rattles around in my brain came from our Law School Librarian, Mr. Taylor.

More than once, during my three year stint, I heard the sometimes crotchety Mr. Taylor, a brilliant former Boston trial lawyer, intone, with sometimes lavish flair to law students in the Pappas Library trying to concentrate on writing their Briefs for the Homer Albers Moots Court Competition:

"Future lawyers! Remember well! If, God forbid, some miserable wretch on this green earth should have the misfortune or exceedingly poor judgment to hire you to represent them in Court, heed this!

“If you find yourself arguing a case before a skeptical judge or jury and the law is clearly against you, for Christ's sake jump up and down and argue all the facts you can think of in your client's favor!"

Then Mr. Taylor would invariably add, "On the other hand my dears, if the facts of the case are clearly against you, for Christ's sake jump up and down, but this time ignore or deny every single material fact and argue only the law. Look the judge or jury straight in the eye, with tears in yours, lower your voice and softly rant about the technicalities of the law and how the very survival of Western Civilization, which came to us, after all, with our mothers milk, depends on strictly applying it in your client’s favor".

Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz, in his latest Arab-phobic, ultra-Zionist screed, in last week's Wall Street Journal in defense of Israel's ongoing slaughter in Gaza, having neither the law nor the facts in his favor, figuratively at least, just jumps up and down and rants.

In his January 2, 2009 article in the Wall Street Journal entitled 'Israel's Policy Is Perfectly Proportionate', Professor Dershowitz defends Israel's operation "Molten Lead" and while doing so consistently misstates the facts and the law.

Alan Dershowitz: "Hamas knew that Israel would never fire at a home with civilians in it"

Fact Check: On the contrary, Hamas and every person over 7 years old in the 1.5 million Palestinians in Gaza, as well as in Lebanon and Palestine know that Israel will for sure "fire at a home with civilians in it." And also ambulances, convoys fleeing a war zone with prior UN and IDF approval and waving white flags, homes with only five children and their mother inside as they did in Nabysheet, Lebanon on July 19, 2006, destroying the family of my friend Abu Mohammad Chokr. History has shown that is what Israel does regularly and why it is increasingly a pariah state.

Virtually every human rights organization including Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and relevant UN Agencies, the European Union, objective Israeli and international investigative journalists digging beneath the mainstream media headlines has documented hundreds of cases of Israel targeting " a home with civilians in it". No fewer than 234 cases of firing on civilians in South Lebanon alone during 2006, and hundreds of others in Palestine. In the past week in Gaza (29 December 2008- 6 Jan 2009), Israel fired on more than 54 homes with civilians in them.

Alan Dershowitz: "Terrorists firing at Sderot are so proud of their actions that they sign their weapons".

Fact Check: Goodness Professor, since the days of cave men, the armies of Greece, Rome, Genghis Khan, to cowboys in the American west notching or 'signing' their six-guns and rifles, one imagines virtually every army in history has been done this. We do know the 'most moral', 'elite' and 'purity of arms' guys and gals in the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) do it as well. Yet it is a bit less sinister for lonely scared fighters to sign their weapons as a 'security blanket' than for the Public Information unit in the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs to herd Israeli youngsters onto buses, as was done in 2006 in Lebanon, to visit IDF artillery bases and be given felt pens and told to sign the 155 mm cluster bomb rounds containing US supplied M-24, M-77 bomblets, before they are fired into South Lebanon in to kill and maim fellow school children.

And indeed, sorry to be indelicate, but it is also a bit more civilized to sign one's weapon than the traditional practice of the Israeli forces entering civilian houses in numerous villages in South Lebanon in 2006 (they did the same this in during their wars against Lebanon in1978, 1982, 1993, and 1996" and rubbing their faeces over walls, inside water tanks, in pillows, beds etc poisoning wells and booby trapping children's toys (apparently it's an Occupation thing that warrants psychological study).

Alan Dershowitz: "Since Israel ended its occupation of Gaza, Hamas has fired thousands of rockets"

Fact Check: Israel never ended its occupation of Gaza. Following the September 2005 dismantling of its illegal colony/settlements, Israel maintained nearly total control of Gaza's borders, airspace, territorial waters (preventing most fishing), electricity, life-lines and economy, turning it into a sealed prison resembling the Warsaw Ghetto, according to UN Special Rapporteur, Richard Falk.

Palestinians living in Gaza have not only the right but the obligation to resist Israel's continuing illegal occupation. Indeed, the very existence of Gaza is a historical reminder of those hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who lost their homes to Israel. Gaza is a Palestinian refugee camp"all of it. More than 80% of its inhabitants were victims of Zionist terrorism that pushed them off their land"many from Askalaan (Ashkelon), their heritage from that now Jewish town nearly erased.

[read the rest at]

http://www.counterpunch.org/lamb01072009.html

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
And with all these talents, you want them to "bury their talents" in a sea of Gentiles?

Do you mean you are in favour of keeping them out? A sea of Gentiles is better than being surrounded by people who hate you.

I know which I would prefer. History is bunk.

I do not know what you allude to above. Regardless, I am in favor (not favour) of Israel being a Jewish state with its present population of Israeli Arabs. No Arab would have the right of return, in my opinion/preference.

This is based on the very simple thought that two-thousand years of Christian anti-Semitism may have made some Jews possibly Gentile challenged. Some Jews may just need a Jewish state/society to optimize his/her existence. Not all Jews are as willing to live in a Gentile (aka, Christian) culture as I have done. And, that is only because I am fortunate to be living in the U.S.A. with a large Protestant population that may be more Old Testament oriented than other faiths, I believe.

And, being surrounded by people who hate you is really a silly thought, since you should read about early 20th century anti-Semitism in the U.S. And, by the way, amongst some populations it is still prevalent to a degree.

Am I explaining, so you understand, Holmes?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:06 am
Quote:
Last week, the military censor ordered local and foreign media in Israel to blur the faces of army commanders in photos and video footage of the Gaza war for fear they could be identified and arrested while travelling abroad.

Israeli media reports said the military had been advising its top brass to think twice about visiting Europe.

Source: Reuters
spendius

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:50 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Some Jews may just need a Jewish state/society to optimize his/her existence. Not all Jews are as willing to live in a Gentile (aka, Christian) culture as I have done.

That's impossible to disagree with. But is what "some" Jews "need" to be set against what Frank brought up which was that the present situation is going to go on and on and on. The "some" Jews may "need" the present situation to go on and on and on for reasons of their own. I wasn't referring to what "some" Jews may "need". Anybody might argue for something they need to optimise their existence, whatever that means. If that's not a recipe for solipsism running amok I don't know what is.

The Jews have had a fantastic amount of goodwill as a result of events in Germany and this recent trouble has squandered a great deal of it. That goodwill effectively neutralised anti-semitism. A lot of what might be seen as legitimate criticism of Jewish activity has been muted for fear of being branded a Nazi.

I did say that history is bunk. Replaying the past goes nowhere. Which group hasn't been persecuted some time or other? How about the aboriginal Americans? What about optimising their existence?

There's no anti-semitism here that I can see. I don't see your post as a serious answer to the proposition I raised.

And we spell "favour" our way. When I see it spelled your way I don't whinge about it. And it could be argued I have some right to do as English is the mother tongue.

You explained nothing Foofie. Except maybe that you cast yourself into Watson mode by your sarcastic comment.
High Seas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter - on your link I found another article also:
Quote:
“….What will be seared into the consciousness of the world will be the image of Israel as a blood-stained monster, ready at any moment to commit war crimes and not prepared to abide by any moral restraints. This will have severe consequences for our long-term future, our standing in the world, our chance of achieving peace and quiet. In the end, this war is a crime against ourselves too, a crime against the State of Israel.”

Uri Avnery is an Israeli writer and peace activist

The great poet Heine (you would know he was of the Jewish faith) wrote something strikingly similar a century and a half ago:

----------------------------------------

An Edom!

Ein Jahrtausend schon und länger,
Dulden wir uns brüderlich,
Du, du duldest, daß ich atme,
Dass du rasest, dulde Ich.
Manchmal nur, in dunkeln Zeiten,
Ward dir wunderlich zu Mut,
Und die liebefrommen Tätzchen
Färbtest du mit meinem Blut!
Jetzt wird unsre Freundschaft fester,
Und noch täglich nimmt sie zu;
Denn ich selbst begann zu rasen,
Und ich werde fast wie Du.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Found this translation on the web - not too good, but it will have to do:
“For a thousand years and more / We have had an understanding / You allow me to breathe / I accept your crazy raging // Sometimes, when the days get darker / Strange moods come upon you / Till you decorate your claws / With the lifeblood from my veins // Now our friendship is firmer / Getting stronger by the day / Since the raging started in me / Daily more and more like you.”

In the arts can be found great truths Smile

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:18 am
@High Seas,
Heine writes here against the hating of Jews by Christians - and as well as that Jews shouldn't take hateful tactics as response. (The reason for this poem, besides probably some more, was his own baptism. [On June 23, 1825, Heine was converted to Protestantism.]) And later, in "The Baths of Lucca", he wrote that the Jewish religion is "not a religion but a misfortune".)
High Seas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's all true, but on his deathbed he reverted to his native faith, it is said.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:59 am
@mysteryman,
Mysteryman

You noted my correction that changed:
Quote:
NO MATTER WHAT ISRAEL DOES...NO MATTER WHAT THE PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP DOES...there will NEVER be peace in the Middle East so long as the state of Israel exists...and any Arabs live there.

…to…
Quote:
NO MATTER WHAT ISRAEL DOES...NO MATTER WHAT THE PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP DOES...there will NEVER be peace in the Middle East so long as the state of Israel exists there...and any Arabs live there.

…and then your wrote:

Quote:

But I still think that there can be peace, as long as the other countries in the region are willing to leave Israel alone and to reign in their proxy warriors, groups like Hamas.

That is the point,Mysteryman. No matter what any COUNTRY or LEADERSHIP does…individual Arabs will never acquiesce to Israel’s existence.

Several things come from this:

One, I am not saying Israel cannot continue to exist…but that it cannot exist there, if peace is the objective.

Two, if peace is not an objective…continue with Israel there; I doubt it will ever be completely defeated by the Arabs. All they will ever do is to kill as many Israelis as possible; provoke Israel into as many wars as possible; and make absolutely sure no Israeli ever lives in peace while the state exists there.

Three, the thought “…as long as other countries in the region are willing to leave Israel alone and to rein in their proxy warriors groups like Hamas”…is like saying, “…if I could fly without mechanical aid..” Mysteryman…humans will travel between galaxies before “other countries in the region are willing to leave Israel alone and to rein in their proxy warriors groups like Hamas!” Take that thought out of your mind as one of the conditions that would allow for peace…because it is an absurd notion. (By the way, what do you think Arabs think when Jews offer solutions that always focus just on changes in what the Arabs are doing?)

Four, Israel could exist elsewhere. When it was first formed, it ought to have been formed elsewhere. To plop it down right there in the middle of a bunch of Arabs was an idiotic thing to do. In any case, Foofie in his comments was right that the state of Israel is probably a necessary ingredient in the continuance of the Jewish existance. BUT IT WILL NEVER LIVE IN PEACE WHERE IT IS!

Five, moving Israel does not mean Jews have to leave the region of their ancestors. Any Jews that want to continue to live in that area should be able to do so...and the rest of the world has got to insure that they can. Frankly, the Jews and Arabs lived in reasonable peace together for a very long time...until talk of the state of Israel and the actual formation of the state of Israel happened.

Six, if Israel does move out of that area and a new state of Israel is established elsewhere (I would love for it to be here somewhere in the United States)...the area formerly known as Israel should become an International Zone governed by the United Nations or a Mandate established by that organization.

Nobody should be allowed to establish a state on that property.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:13 am
@georgeob1,
george, what do you mean partisan source, it was from the Human Rights Watch website.

Just because other countries (including ours) do something does not mean said something is right or legal.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:59 am
Heres an interesting article, from 2 days ago.
I notice the "anti-Israel" people on this thread seemed to have ignored it.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,603203,00.html

Quote:
In the Gaza Strip people are returning home -- or to the rubble that was once their home. Many are blaming Hamas for the destruction because the militants hid among civilians and attracted Israeli fire. Yet no one dares to speak out openly.

Quote:
"I used to support Hamas because they fought for our country, for Palestine," says Sadala. Hamas stood for a new start, for an end of corruption, which had spread like cancer under the moderate Fatah. In the 2006 elections Hamas won the majority with their message of change, said Sadala, who earned a living in the building business. Gesticulating wildly, the 52-year-old surveyed the ruins of the bedroom: "That is the change that they brought about. We were blasted back 2,000 years."

Quote:
"When Hamas came to power, they came to our aid with packages of groceries," says Abu Abed. The 60-year-old's sons, all of whom are trained hospital nurses, have been without work for years. That is true of many in the Gaza Strip. Now Abu Abed stands before the rumble of the house where he lived with four generations of his family. All that remains are the ground floor pillars. The Israeli navy had its eye on the building from the very beginning of the war. After all, its clear view of Gaza City and the sea would have provided a good base for Hamas.

"I've changed my mind about Hamas," Abu Abed says. "I can't support any party that wages a war that destroys our lives." He is particularly pained by the fact that Hamas is still selling the cease-fire as a victory.

"Who has won here?" he asks and points to the debris that was once his home.

Quote:
One of his neighbors weighs in: "Many people are now against Hamas but that won't change anything," he says. "Because anyone who stands up to them is killed." Since they took power Hamas has used brutal force against any dissenters in the Gaza Strip. There were news agency reports that during the war they allegedly executed suspected collaborators with Israel. The reign of terror will go on for some time, says the neighbor who doesn't want to give his name. "There will never be a rebellion against Hamas. It would be suicide."

Quote:
As Hail, in his mid-30s, sat on his porch and thought about what to do a man came by: He was from Hamas and had left something in Hail's home. He let him in and the man then emerged with a bullet proof vest, a rocket launcher and an ammunitions belt. An hour later a fighter with Islamic Jihad called to the door, then disappeared onto the roof and reappeared with a box of ammunition. "The abused civilians' homes for their own purposes. That is not right," Hail says with disgust while trying to remain polite.

So even the people of Gaza have had enough of Hamas.
Maybe this will finally be the breaking point that causes Hamas to lose power or respect from the Gaza citizens.
And we also have first hand reports now from civilians about how Hamas is using their homes as fighting points, making them legitimate targets for Israel.

Its an interesting article, and one the "anti-Israel" people on here will find hard to discredit.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:16 am
@mysteryman,
When you find an article that says EVERY LAST ARAB ON THE PENINSULA feels that way...lemme know.

Because Mysteryman, until EVERY LAST ARAB ON THE PENINSULA feels that way...there will NEVER be anything even remotely resembling peace in that area.

And anyone who thinks that this latest war Israel waged on Hamas will result in more Arabs willing to tolerate the existence of Israel...than with more Arabs absolutely committed to the destruction of Israel...

...really needs several large, black cups of coffee.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
You apparently didnt read what I wrote, you seem to have read what you wanted to see.

I said that maybe the people of Gazawill have had enough of Hamas, nothing more then that.

Try reading what I actually wrote, not what you want to see.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
@High Seas,
Not really. From his last will (first version)
Quote:
Par acte de baptême j'appartiens à l'église chretienne et évangelique, mais ma pensée n'a jamais sympathisé avec les croyances d'aucune religion, et après avoir vecu en bon payen, je desire aussi mourir sans que le saçerdoçe soit convié à mes funerailles. J'exige que ces dernières soient aussi peu couteuses que possible. En outre je defends à qui que ce soit de prononcer un discours sur ma tombe. Si je meurs à Passy, ce sera aussi dans cet endroit qu'on doit m'enterrer. Si je meurs à Paris je desire trouver ma modeste sepulture dans le cimetiere Montmartre.

Same, but in the final, legal version:
Quote:
§ 7e " Je demande que mon convoi soit aussi modeste que possible, et que
les frais de mon enterrement n'excèdent pas le montant ordinaire de celui
du plus simple bourgeois. Quoique par acte de baptême j'appartienne à la
confession luthérienne, je ne désire pas que le clergé de cette Eglise soit
convié à mon enterrement, je renonce même au ministère de tout autre
sacerdoce pour célébrer mes funérailles. Ce désir n'est pas dicté par quelque
velléité d'esprit fort: depuis quatre ans j'ai abdiqué tout orgueil philosophique,
et je suis revenu aux idées et aux sentimens religieux: Je meurs croyant en
Un Dieu Un et Eternel, Créateur du monde, et dont j'implore la miséricorde
pour mon âme immortelle. Je regrette d'avoir dans mes écrits quelquefois
parlé de choses saintes sans le respect qui leur est dû, mais j'étais plutôt en-
traîné par l'esprit de mon époque que par mes propres propensions. Si j'ai,
à mon insu, offensé les bonnes moeurs et la morale qui est la vraie essence de
toutes les croyances monothéistes, j'en demande pardon à Dieu et aux hommes.
Je défends qu'aucun discours, ou allemand ou français, soit tenu sur ma tombe.
En même tems j'énonce le désir que mes compatriotes, quelqu'heureuses
que puissent devenir les destinées de notre pays, s'abstiennent de transférer
mes cendres en Allemagne; je n'ai jamais aimé à prêter ma personne à des
momeries politiques. La grande affaire de ma vie était de travailler à l'entente
cordiale entre l'Allemagne et la France, et à déjouer les artifices des ennemis
de la démocratie qui exploitent à leur profit les préjugés et les animosités
internationaux. Je crois avoir bien mérité autant de mes compatriotes que des
Français, et les titres que j'ai à leur gratitude sont sans doute le plus précieux
legs que j'aie à conférer à ma légataire universelle.
Source
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
You apparently didnt read what I wrote, you seem to have read what you wanted to see.

Apparently YOU didn't read what you wrote. I did!

You wrote: "So even the people of Gaza have had enough of Hamas"...

...not
Quote:
maybe the people of Gazawill have had enough of Hamas,

And you wrote;
Quote:
Maybe this will finally be the breaking point that causes Hamas to lose power or respect from the Gaza citizens.

Perhaps you meant that to indicate that they would turn to someone else to lead them in their hatred of Israel...but I suspect you meant that the people of Gaza might therefore be more tolerant of the existence of Israel.

If you did mean the latter...then my comment was appropriate:
Quote:
And anyone who thinks that this latest war Israel waged on Hamas will result in more Arabs willing to tolerate the existence of Israel...than with more Arabs absolutely committed to the destruction of Israel...

...really needs several large, black cups of coffee.

If you meant the former...my comment probably is appropriate anyway.

Either way...the article does not bode well for Israel or for the prospects of peace in that area.

ASIDE: Don't get pissed at me. I am not on the side of terrorists. I would give anything to see both the people of Israel and the Arabs in that area live in peace and harmony. BUT THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...and no matter what you think, it is not ONLY the fault of the Arabs.

And the solution is NOT as you suppose all in the hands of the Arabs. The Jews...the Israelis have a choice also. Get the state of Israel out of there. It...the imposition of the state of Israel...is the reason there is fighting in that area between Jews and Arabs. Before talk of the state of Israel started...Jews and Arabs lived in comparative peace. Hell, they lived in comparative BLISS!
mysteryman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
I know what I wrote, and I was careful in my choice of words.
IF the people of Gaza are starting to lose their faith in Hamas, then maybe Hamas will lose its ability to control Gaza.
That would be a good thing for all parties, Palestinian and Israeli.

Quote:
ASIDE: Don't get pissed at me. I am not on the side of terrorists. I would give anything to see both the people of Israel and the Arabs in that area live in peace and harmony. BUT THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...and no matter what you think, it is not ONLY the fault of the Arabs.

I'm not pissed at anyone, and I never said you were on the side of the trerrorists.
And I have never said that it is only the fault of the Arabs.
I do however think that as long as the other nations in the region refuse to do anything to control the militant groups operating from their soil, that they bear a part of the blame.
Unlike many on here, I recognize that Israel isnt perfect, that they have done some things that are 100% wrong.
Do I wish that Israel would allow unrestricted acces to the Palestinians, so that they could go to work and live their lives without fear?
Yes, I do.

But, as long as groups like Hamas exist, with their sole goal the destruction of Israel, then the Israelis must do what they have to do to protect themselves.
If you knew that my only goal in life was to destroy you and your family, would you let me into your house?
That is apparently what the "blame Israel" crowd wants Israel to do.

You say
Quote:
Get the state of Israel out of there
and put it where?
I have seen suggestions made to put it in the US, but that isnt feasible and everyone knows it.
But lets assume for a minute it is.
Where in the US would you put Israel?
What would you do with the people already living there?

Also, would the Israeli's be allowed to use a "scorched earth" policy before they left the Middle East?
Would they be allowed to destroy everything they have built and let the Palestinians start over from scratch?
And what would stop groups like Hamas from following the Israeli's and starting more violence?

So, I do not think Israel is blameless, nor do I think they are totally at fault.
But, as long as groups like Hamas exist, with their ONLY GOAL the total destruction of Israel, then Israel has a right and a duty to defend themselves.
Advocate

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:44 am
@JTT,
Hindsight is wonderful. I guess Israel decided then that an independent Pal state would be a danger , always hostile to the state of Israel. Moreover, I am sure Israel felt that the WB and Gaza don't constitute a country and should be open to Jews. After all, citizens of all religions may live in peace in Israel.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:48 am
@mysteryman,
Mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
I do however think that as long as the other nations in the region refuse to do anything to control the militant groups operating from their soil, that they bear a part of the blame.

In my opinion, not only do they bear a part of the blame...they bear a huge part of the blame.

But assigning blame really does very, very little to deal with the problem...and everyone shares the blame.

Quote:
But, as long as groups like Hamas exist, with their sole goal the destruction of Israel, then the Israelis must do what they have to do to protect themselves.
Okay...and I agree. But one of the things they can do is to move the state to somewhere else.

And I am not convinced Hamas is in business to destroy the state of Israel...just to get it out of the Middle East. Two completely different things.

Quote:
and put it where?
I have seen suggestions made to put it in the US, but that isnt feasible and everyone knows it.
But lets assume for a minute it is.
Where in the US would you put Israel?
What would you do with the people already living there?
I've been thinking New Mexico...or South Dakota. In either place, things could be built to simulate holy areas of the old land.

Mostly in those places...nobody “already lives there”..so there is no need to worry about what to do with them.

The land can be purchased from the federal government of the United States...or leased.

We could use the money...and we could use the import of lots of geniuses.

It is feasible. And it is the only goddam solution I've heard that has even a remote chance of actually working.

Quote:
Also, would the Israeli's be allowed to use a "scorched earth" policy before they left the Middle East?
Would they be allowed to destroy everything they have built and let the Palestinians start over from scratch?

Sure, if that is what they wanted to do. But it could be worked out to where Arab governments could buy the land and infrastructure...and what ever.

Not an easy thing to do...or to contemplate.

No need for Jews to even leave the area. Jews and Arabs got along well before...and probably could get along reasonably, if not well, if the state of Israel were gone.

(Don't know about that...wouldn't want to make a big case about it. Might be best if the Jews left the area completely...but I think a UN run area has a better chance of peace than what exists now.)

But if the Jews wanted to level the area back to Stone Age levels...what would stop 'em?

Quote:
And what would stop groups like Hamas from following the Israeli's and starting more violence?

C'mon!

Quote:
So, I do not think Israel is blameless, nor do I think they are totally at fault.

I agree completely!

Quote:
But, as long as groups like Hamas exist, with their ONLY GOAL the total destruction of Israel, then Israel has a right and a duty to defend themselves.
I agree completely!

PART YOU DIDN'T COVER: But if the Jews want a peaceful existence...then they gotta get the state of Israel out of the Middle East...where it should not have been installed in the first place.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
So apparently, we agree more then we disagree.

Quote:
And I am not convinced Hamas is in business to destroy the state of Israel...just to get it out of the Middle East. Two completely different things.

According to the Hamas charter, they want Israel totally destroyed...
http://www.mideastweb.org/hamas.htm

Quote:
Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it." (The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

And Hamas uses as their excuse, the KNOWN FORGERY called Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which has been proven to be a fake document.
So, if they use a document that has been proven to be fake as part of their rational for attacking Israel, that doesnt leave much room for talk, does it.
Especially when Hamas says...
Quote:
"There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad. Initiatives, proposals and international conferences are all a waste of time and vain endeavors."

Lets look at other statements from Hamas leaders...
Quote:
Imam Yousif al-Zahar of Hamas said in his sermon at the Katib Wilayat mosque in Gaza that "Jews are a people who cannot be trusted. They have been traitors to all agreements. Go back to history. Their fate is their vanishing." Ref IHT 1 April 08
Sheik Yunus al-Astal, a Hamas legislator and imam, in a column in the weekly newspaper Al Risalah in 2008 discussed a Koranic verse suggesting that "suffering by fire is the Jews' destiny in this world and the next." Astal concluded "Therefore we are sure that the Holocaust is still to come upon the Jews.Ref IHT 1 April 08
"We will not rest until we destroy the Zionist entity" stated Hamas leader Fathi Hammad in Gaza on Friday January 2nd 2009 - ref -- BBC 2 January 09

In a sermon aired on Hamas' Al-Aqsa television, cleric Yunis Al Astal stated, "Today, Rome is the capital of the Catholics, or the Crusader capital, which has declared its hostility to Islam, and has planted the brothers of apes and pigs in Palestine in order to prevent the reawakening of Islam.
"I believe that our children, or our grandchildren, will inherit our jihad and our sacrifices, and, Allah willing, the commanders of the conquest will come from among them"

He maintained that Rome would become, ""an advanced post for the Islamic conquests, which will spread though Europe in its entirety, and then will turn to the two Americas, even Eastern Europe." Ref- Fox 14 Apr. 2008

And article 13 of the Hamas charter states quite clearly that they do not believe in negotiating or in any kind of peace talks.
It is perfectly clear that they want Israel totally destroyed as an entity, anywhere on the planet.

Quote:
I've been thinking New Mexico...or South Dakota. In either place, things could be built to simulate holy areas of the old land.

And what would you do with the people living there?
There are 1,903,289 people living in New Mexico, along with several historic sites.
Would you allow those sites to remain owned by the US, or would you turn them over also?
There are 770,883 people living in South Dakota, so you would have to decide what to do with them.

Your plan is not feasible at all.

Quote:
PART YOU DIDN'T COVER: But if the Jews want a peaceful existence...then they gotta get the state of Israel out of the Middle East...where it should not have been installed in the first place.

Are you saying that the Jews in Israel today should be made to suffer for decisions made by people in the 1940's?
Many of the people living in Israel today werent even alive when Israel was created.
Why should they have to move from the only home they know, just to please a group that doesnt like them?
I'm sorry, but Israel should be allowed to exist right where it is, and the Arab nations are going to have to learn to live with them in peace.

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:50 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
there will NEVER be peace in the Middle East so long as the state of Israel exists

That, in a nutshell, is the stance of those countries and groups that hate Israel.
And that is why Israel is constantly fighting.
which proves the truth of the initial statement