THE WAR IN GAZA

georgeob1

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

So, there are so many possible co-reasons, including others not mentioned, I am sure, that MIGHT be involved when a poster is anti-Israel. Non of which are known, when responding to an anti-Israel post. Naturally, the fallacious logic of so many posts focus on the civilian casualties, or the denial of Israel's right to exist. In effect, the posting is taking sides with Hamas, since its stated goal is the oblivion of Israel, and only by emphasizing horrors that Israel may be committing, can the world believe that the stated objective of Hamas is reasonable.

And to all a good night.

Foofie, there is some truth in the points you make. However you persistently evade the central issue - and that is whether, on its present course, there is - in view of all that we know about human history - any realistic prospect of a peaceful, just settlement between Israel and its neighbors. I believe the answer is, there is not. Instead we will see continued terrorism, reprisals, hatred and destruction - a prospect that, in view of current trends, could be very dangerous for Israel.

Israelis certainly have "a right to exist". However the canard you so often repeat about Israel's "right to exist" is itself deceptive. You imply in that phrase that, as a necessary part of its continued existence, Israel has the right to continue to expropriate the territory of neighboring peoples; to govern their lives in military occupation for decades; to control their supplies of water, electrical power, and the movement necessary for their economic lives. Stated this way, I believe most people would answer, no, under those conditions Israel has no right to continue. Certainly it no longer has the right to demand continued support from this country.
Foofie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:46 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

So, there are so many possible co-reasons, including others not mentioned, I am sure, that MIGHT be involved when a poster is anti-Israel. Non of which are known, when responding to an anti-Israel post. Naturally, the fallacious logic of so many posts focus on the civilian casualties, or the denial of Israel's right to exist. In effect, the posting is taking sides with Hamas, since its stated goal is the oblivion of Israel, and only by emphasizing horrors that Israel may be committing, can the world believe that the stated objective of Hamas is reasonable.

And to all a good night.

Foofie, there is some truth in the points you make. However you persistently evade the central issue - and that is whether, on its present course, there is - in view of all that we know about human history - any realistic prospect of a peaceful, just settlement between Israel and its neighbors. I believe the answer is, there is not. Instead we will see continued terrorism, reprisals, hatred and destruction - a prospect that, in view of current trends, could be very dangerous for Israel.

Israelis certainly have "a right to exist". However the canard you so often repeat about Israel's "right to exist" is itself deceptive. You imply in that phrase that, as a necessary part of its continued existence, Israel has the right to continue to expropriate the territory of neighboring peoples; to govern their lives in military occupation for decades; to control their supplies of water, electrical power, and the movement necessary for their economic lives. Stated this way, I believe most people would answer, no, under those conditions Israel has no right to continue. Certainly it no longer has the right to demand continued support from this country.

Here is a potential solution by John R. Bolton:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/04/AR2009010401434.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

Also, we do not make electricity for Mexico, I believe. Nor, are we obligated to give them water. In a perfect world, any Palestinean entity would make their own water (from the sea?) and have their own electiricity plants, or get it from Egypt.

By the way, aside from whether or not Israel has the right to exist, it does exist. Like children flipping baseball cards, no backsies, no do overs!

And your opinion whether there is, "any realistic prospect of a peaceful, just settlement between Israel and its neighbors. I believe the answer is, there is not. Instead we will see continued terrorism, reprisals, hatred and destruction - a prospect that, in view of current trends, could be very dangerous for Israel.", is just your opinion that you are promulgating in your posts.

I would think that in the early 1800's there were western settlers that doubted that the west would ever have an end to Indian hostility. Hopefully, we will not see a retake of that 100 year situation. But, I believe your posts are just taking an a priori pessimistic position, based on the false premise that past history is the only way to judge the future. Sorry, the nuclear age changed the equation regarding past history. Also, this history will include different players, than past history.

JTT

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:59 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:

I would think that in the early 1800's there were western settlers that doubted that the west would ever have an end to Indian hostility.

I never realized the depth, that the degree of grade school indoctrination was so overwhelming.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:01 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Also, we do not make electricity for Mexico, I believe. Nor, are we obligated to give them water

wrong
Quote:

The Mexican Water Treaty of 1944 - Committed 1.5 maf of the river's annual flow to Mexico.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g1000/lawofrvr.html
georgeob1

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:48 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

And your opinion whether there is, "any realistic prospect of a peaceful, just settlement between Israel and its neighbors. I believe the answer is, there is not. Instead we will see continued terrorism, reprisals, hatred and destruction - a prospect that, in view of current trends, could be very dangerous for Israel.", is just your opinion that you are promulgating in your posts.

I would think that in the early 1800's there were western settlers that doubted that the west would ever have an end to Indian hostility. Hopefully, we will not see a retake of that 100 year situation. But, I believe your posts are just taking an a priori pessimistic position, based on the false premise that past history is the only way to judge the future. Sorry, the nuclear age changed the equation regarding past history. Also, this history will include different players, than past history.

Interesting argument - and not entirely without merit.

However, the Israeli Palestinian conflict is already more than 50 years old. How many more decades of it must the world endure? The wealth population and dedication of the sympathizers of the Palestinian position is increasing - as that is of the Palestinians themselves. Meanwhile, absent any new sources of immigrants such as the former Soviet Union, and given current Israeli birth rates, the relative population picture for Israeli Jews is none too good. The former widespread sympathy for Israel that once pervaded the Western World is now largely gone. The undeveloped world tends to align itself with the Palestinians. In short the new (and nuclear) age appears to offer far more advantages to the Palestinians than to the Israelis, who are increasingly isolated.
hawkeye10

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However, the Israeli Palestinian conflict is already more than 50 years old. How many more decades of it must the world endure

I think that we have given the Zionists more than enough time to get their act together...they have failed to do so. Unless a two state solution can be found in the reasonably near future it is time to demand either that Israel becomes a multicultural society or that Israel dies. The Zionists have by their own refusal to act civilly given the global community no choice but to demand that Zionist control either be extremely diluted or else ended all together.
Montana

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 02:47 pm
Agreeing with georgeob Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Advocate

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
"Many a truth is told in jest" - Shakespeare.
What happens when a fly falls into a coffee cup?
The Italian - throws the cup, breaks it, and walks away in a fit of
rage.
The German - carefully washes the cup, sterilizes it and makes a new cup
of coffee.
The Frenchman - takes out the fly, and drinks the coffee.
The Chinese - eats the fly and throws away the coffee.
The Russian - Drinks the coffee with the fly, since it was extra with no
charge.
The Israeli - sells the coffee to the Frenchman, sells the fly to the
Chinese, sells the cup to the Italian, drinks a cup of tea, and uses the
extra money to invent a device that prevents flies from falling into
coffee.
The Palestinian - blames the Israeli for the fly falling into his
coffee, protests the act of aggression to the UN, takes a loan from the
European Union to buy a new cup of coffee, uses the money to purchase
explosives and then blows up the coffee house where the Italian, the
Frenchman, the Chinese, the German and the Russian are all trying to
explain to the Israeli that he should give away his cup of tea to the
Palestinian.
georgeob1

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 05:04 pm
@Advocate,
Somewhat amusing. However in its essential character it is hardly different from the ethnic and racial jokes (including those told about Jews) that have polluted human discourse for as long as recorded history.

What was your intent in posting it?
Montana

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 05:10 pm
I was wondering the same thing.

PS, I just dump the coffee, put the cup in the dishwasher and make another cup. Oh, I usually swear at the fly before I dump the coffee.
georgeob1

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:40 pm
@Montana,
Hey Montana, what's with this agreeing with me stuff? That never happened before !
High Seas

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:54 pm
@georgeob1,
Yo, George, am back in town, will e-mail you if I may on a business matter. On the Gaza conflict I found it useless to post here, so have written (under my original e-name, unaccountably misplaced by this site) elsewhere:
http://forum.atimes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14660
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 07:44 pm
@georgeob1,
GeorgeOB wrote to Foofie and said:

Quote:
However the canard you so often repeat about Israel's "right to exist" is itself deceptive.

In several ways, actually.

Israel has a right to exit...in exactly the same way Palestine had a right to exist as it was before Israel came into existence.

The right exists...only so long as the right exists. Now that the state of Israel exists there, Palestine no longer has the right to exist as it was before Israel came into existence. And if the Arabs ever get to eliminate the state of Israel from existing where it now exists...that supposed right of Israel would be gone.

I think it appropriate to mention:

If I were a Jew...I would probably be the kind of Jew who would do everything possible, including killing ever Arab in that area, in order to have Israel to continue to exist right where it is.

If I were an Arab...I would probably be the kind of Arab who would do everything possible, including killing ever Jew in that area, in order to eliminate the state of Israel from that area.

And I suspect there are many people who are Jews and Arabs...who feel that way. Which, of course, is the reason I suspect there WILL NEVER be anything remotely resembling peace in that area so long as the state of Israel exists there and any Arabs live there.

0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Also, we do not make electricity for Mexico, I believe. Nor, are we obligated to give them water

wrong
Quote:

The Mexican Water Treaty of 1944 - Committed 1.5 maf of the river's annual flow to Mexico.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g1000/lawofrvr.html

No. I was right. I said "obligated." If the U.S. chose not to, then no treaty.
hawkeye10

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:26 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:

The US has obligated itself, there is precedence now. I suspect that international law would not allow America to take the water now.
Foofie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:29 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Interesting argument - and not entirely without merit.

However, the Israeli Palestinian conflict is already more than 50 years old. How many more decades of it must the world endure? The wealth population and dedication of the sympathizers of the Palestinian position is increasing - as that is of the Palestinians themselves. Meanwhile, absent any new sources of immigrants such as the former Soviet Union, and given current Israeli birth rates, the relative population picture for Israeli Jews is none too good. The former widespread sympathy for Israel that once pervaded the Western World is now largely gone. The undeveloped world tends to align itself with the Palestinians. In short the new (and nuclear) age appears to offer far more advantages to the Palestinians than to the Israelis, who are increasingly isolated.

In my humble opinion, your position is analagous to the some surgeon's solution to many ills - perform surgery. Well, medical science is starting to believe that the day will be coming when, for instance, people will live full lives WHILE they have cancer. We will learn how to live with the cancer. That possibility was never in anyone's thinking 50 years ago, when the word "cancer" was said in hushed tones, and was considered a death sentence. Sort of like how we learned to live with diabetes, and getting better at it continually.

So, in the way of analogy, Israel may not have to be put under the political surgeon's knife, so to speak.

But, do not be an optimist in my behalf, if you feel more comfortable with a pessimistic view.
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
However, the Israeli Palestinian conflict is already more than 50 years old. How many more decades of it must the world endure

I think that we have given the Zionists more than enough time to get their act together...they have failed to do so. Unless a two state solution can be found in the reasonably near future it is time to demand either that Israel becomes a multicultural society or that Israel dies. The Zionists have by their own refusal to act civilly given the global community no choice but to demand that Zionist control either be extremely diluted or else ended all together.

Israel is not "acting." It is the Palestineans that are acting like they can terrorize a sovereign neighbor, and not suffer from the repercussions that most states would have.

Your statement above sounds like if enough people have a hissy fit over Israel's existence, Israel will fold its tents and go back to some other place. Where would that be? Your neighborhood, perhaps?
Foofie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Somewhat amusing. However in its essential character it is hardly different from the ethnic and racial jokes (including those told about Jews) that have polluted human discourse for as long as recorded history.

What was your intent in posting it?

Who cares what the intent was. I do not believe posters are supposed to be interrogated as to intent. That is a non-sequitor. Notice, I do not ask you your intent for your position on this thread. I take your logic at face value, without implying there might be an intent.

The posting was more than amusing. Through exaggeration it showed that the stereotypical national character of different nationalities might have something to do with their respective limitations. And there is a grain of truth in such stereotypes (Germans did keep exact records of everything the people that went into the gas chambers had - efficiency and organization).
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

The US has obligated itself, there is precedence now. I suspect that international law would not allow America to take the water now.

International law? The UN? Superman?
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:03 pm
@Foofie,
Why don't you make an offer to take them and supply the land necessary somewhere in fertile America, instead of defending the stealing of others lands.