I PUT HIM ON IGNORE AGAIN

spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 06:48 am
@edgarblythe,
Just two more empty assertions. Do you stroke yourself all the time Ed?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 08:28 am
@spendius,
Spendious,
I believe that it is rational to adhere to a calculous of pleasure,
whereby one will perform an act if he anticipates its results
to provide a greater reward of pleasure than incidental discomfort.

In accordance therewith,
citizens arise from beds of warm comfort to go out in foul weather
and proceed to work, thereby to create rewards that justify
having left their beds.

Do u maintain
that if I reach the conclusion that a person ' mind
is of such a character that I see no value, no reward, in continuing to
receive its product, I shoud continue to put up with his nonsense regardless ?

So far as I am able to see, that is not rational.

That 's like continuing to dig in a mine
when u believe that there is nothing in there worth having.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 08:32 am
@spendius,
I was hoping that u woud comment
on my analogy of eschewing the wisdom
of loud, nasty dogs.

David
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 09:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The very last thing I would want if there are loud nasty dogs about is a soundproof bag over my head.

I adhere to a calculus of pleasure too but that includes the calculus of unpleasure avoidance. Conservatives forgot that in the election and look where it got them.

Pleasure/unpleasure is a continuum. Whether quanta are involved my instruments are not sensitive enough to detect.

If I'm in a battle and my opponents run away am I supposed to feel bad? They are in denial that they have conceded defeat. End of story.

And watching them bluster is great fun.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 09:33 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The very last thing I would want if there are loud nasty dogs about is a soundproof bag over my head.

I adhere to a calculus of pleasure too but that includes the calculus of unpleasure avoidance. Conservatives forgot that in the election and look where it got them.

Pleasure/unpleasure is a continuum. Whether quanta are involved my instruments are not sensitive enough to detect.

If I'm in a battle and my opponents run away am I supposed to feel bad? They are in denial that they have conceded defeat. End of story.

If your fun could be redirected to addressing the topic in question (speaking of evolution threads), your bitching might meet some success. Declaring yourself the winner, simply because the participants of those threads refuse to shift the focus to demands of your ego is a quixotic exercise. Also a waste of all our time, including yours.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 09:46 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The very last thing I would want if there are loud nasty dogs
about is a soundproof bag over my head.

I adhere to a calculus of pleasure too but that includes the calculus
of unpleasure avoidance. Conservatives forgot that in the election and look where it got them.

Pleasure/unpleasure is a continuum. Whether quanta are involved
my instruments are not sensitive enough to detect.

If I'm in a battle and my opponents run away am I supposed to feel bad?
They are in denial that they have conceded defeat. End of story.

Addressing your analogy of a soundproof head bag
being used in the presence of said dogs:
my use of the Ignore function was the equivalent
of my walking away from the annoying dogs,
who had no wisdom to add to my store of knowledge.

I intended to include calculous of both pleasure and pain,
as I indicated by my example of leaving one 's warm bed
to go to work. I apply for forgiveness for my omission of
explicit reference to pain in the calculation.

Some of the people against whom I used the Ignore function
did not present me with ARGUMENT as much as with off topic,
naked ad hominem invective and with gratuitous,
unsolicited assessments of my I.Q.

Figuratively speaking, I put these folks out with the garbage
by use of the Ignore button.

This has resulted in an improvement of the signal:noise ratio
and a better standing in the calculous of pain avoidance.

Will u agree that it was a good choice ?

David
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:00 am
@edgarblythe,
How can I address the topic when I put up evidence from a Founding Father, ex Sec. of State and ex President that ALL wars are caused by trade disputes and not by religion when I'm on Ignore just so it facilitates you lot declaring that religion causes war without the bother of looking to right or left.

And you have used the argument that religion causes wars in order to discredit religion. And many times.

Before a topic can be addressed the formalities of the debate procedure need to be clarified and ignoring the other side can never be allowed without descending into totalitarianism.

Running away constitutes losing. It's a real waste of time to continually harp on about my alleged foibles in order to avoid the debate.

I will decide what wastes my time. Viewers will decide what wastes their's. Not you Ed. Why don't you either debate properly or **** off.

It is just too easy to say that I'm shifting the focus to demands of my ego in order to evade the matters I raise. I could just as well say the same about you lot but I got over that sort of ignorant behaviour at a Catholic school with priests teaching.

You sound like a needle on a record that's got stuck. Every post you make is the same. I'm declared an asshole and that proves I have nothing valid to say.

Wonderful. The United States of Edland is the only outcome if you are taken seriously. You're off your head.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:16 am
@spendius,
Whether or not religion is the cause of all wars, or something else is to blame, is not germane to the topic of Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution and you ought to know that. Nothing you have said relates to the topic in any way that anyone can determine. You throw these straws in the wind and hope some of them come down to fix the leaks in your bucket of arguments, but it is impossible. How can you declare yourself the winner of the argument when you have presented no argument?
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No Dave. I do not agree. Not on a serious debate thread at least. Which is what I'm talking about.

Have you heard of "resistance analysis"?

Walking away from the dogs is the equivalent of not entering the thread. I don't object to that at all. It is being on the thread, a debate thread, and then using Ignore that I object to.

The one benefit I see in it is that those who use it have completely discredited any scientific integrity they claim to possess.

They just want "off topic" and "irrelevant" to mean anything not on their own playing field. In other words they want the opposition to lie down. I'm the only one who isn't scared of their browbeating, bullying tactics.

The handful of them seem convinced that because they are in a majority on the threads concerned ( 5 to1) they represent American settled public opinion and in fact they are trolling the Big Picture. They can't see that because their almighty dignity blots it from view. They have burned their bridges on the issue using superficial ideas, insults and baseless assertions and have no retreat. They are stuck with it.

You would be better off Dave admitting your mistake. We are forgiving.

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Youve basically summed up why Ive put him on ignore. I love spirited and contentious debate, but for some selfish old bastard to come around and shout "me me me" to a virtual round table unceasingly, is the nadir of manners and is an example of ego-tripping. I will not ever answer any of that persons posts when they are purposeless and full of nasty narcissism. Hes got some real problems with self identity. and I actually believe that his lack of empathy is an on-line symptom of autism. Hes our "Rainman", but hes best dealt with by just letting him swing by himself in an empty room.
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Whether or not religion is the cause of all wars, or something else is to blame, is not germane to the topic of Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

It is when anti-IDers have made it germane as they have many times.

What a silly argument that is. They say that religion has caused war in order to discredit religion and I reply to that, as I have, and then I'm accused of not being germane. That's the equivalent of a gagging order.

I was saying what I quoted James Madison as having said four years ago. Are rebuttals of flip, uneducated assertions not germane now? Drivel.

It is obviously a challenge to the teaching of evolution when a strong argument used for teaching evolution is that religion is the cause of wars.

Whether your cosy pedantry knows it or not the threads on this subject are all one.

You last two sentences are more of the stuck needle technique.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:54 am
@spendius,
That question belongs in a different thread.
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:57 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Youve basically summed up why Ive put him on ignore. I love spirited and contentious debate, but for some selfish old bastard to come around and shout "me me me" to a virtual round table unceasingly, is the nadir of manners and is an example of ego-tripping. I will not ever answer any of that persons posts when they are purposeless and full of nasty narcissism. Hes got some real problems with self identity. and I actually believe that his lack of empathy is an on-line symptom of autism. Hes our "Rainman", but hes best dealt with by just letting him swing by himself in an empty room.

Self justifying tripe. Not one objective notion.

The only spirited and contentious debate effemm loves is that where he has laid down the rules and where he can declare himself the winner.

I've wiped the floor with the lot of you. And it was easy. Nothing to boast of.

That's why I'm on Ignore.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 11:00 am
@spendius,
You couldn't wipe your own ass, spendi.
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 11:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Well- it is a bit more difficult than wiping the floor with you lot I'll admit.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 01:12 pm
@spendius,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuaet4Evp4
wandeljw

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 02:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe to spendius wrote:

That question belongs in a different thread.

This is the essence of the problem I have with spendi. Almost all his posts appear to be in the wrong thread.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 02:50 pm
@wandeljw,
Somebody made a spendius thread. Most of it belongs there.
spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
How am I a rebel? 85% of Americans agree with me the polls say. It is the vocal part of the 15% who are rebels. Mathematically.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 04:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Somebody made a spendius thread. Most of it belongs there.

It wasn't me who raised the matter of my being on Ignore. Have we got to the point where you lot raise a matter and if I respond I should be on another thread. Placed in the corridor.

And you would follow me there if I was because I can get your blood flowing round. And you know that my posts are characterised by scintillating wit, a unique style, shafts of light into dark corners and brilliant variations on some of the more well known figures of speech.

No chance. Forget it.