Knock knock. Who's there? Laughter. Laughter who?

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:27 pm
Gosh. I guess I'll have to rethink calling her house in the middle of the night and telling her jokes in a scary voice and threatening to kill her mom if she doesn't laugh or other hassasing ways of making her feel uncomfortable.

Hmmmm.......

Actually, I know her quite well. She lives next door. She's in Mo's class at school. I see her every single day. At a Christmas party last night she challenged me to find a joke that would make her laugh.

I guess I'll have to avoid telling her the exact same joke every time I see her.
chai2

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:50 pm
@boomerang,
boom, I made it clear I was asking you about what the child is like, and your relationship.

I didn't say anything about your calling her in the middle of the night and scaring her.

I thought I asked a valid question. You hadn't volunteered she had challenged you, so she has in fact made it a game.

I had said I knew you were good with kids, but we all know there are adults out there who can annoy children greatly by being too forward with them.

I can't remember how many times when I was a kid I was asked where I got my freckles from, or thought it was cute to tug one of my braids, or asked where I put all the food ate (I was skinny). I'm sure they were well meaning, but oh good lord.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:01 pm
@boomerang,
Why can't elephants ride bicycles?

No thumbs to ring the bell.

Why did the elephant wear ripple sole shoes?

To give the ants a 50/50 chance.

Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:06 pm
@dlowan,
Q: Why was six afraid of seven?

A: Because seven ate nine!

Did you hear about the cracker's Christmas party?
It went with a bang!

How do you make idiots laugh on boxing day?
Tell them a joke on Christmas Eve!

How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizzas?
Deep pan, crisp and even!

If athletes get athletes foot, what do rocket scientists get?
Missile-toe!

Mum, Can I have a dog for Christmas?
No, you can have turkey like everyone else!

What do you get if you eat Christmas decorations?
Tinselitus!

What often falls at the North Pole but never gets hurt?
Snow!

Why didn't the skeleton dance at the party?
He had no body to dance with.

What do ghosts say when something is really neat?
Ghoul

What kind of tie does a ghost wear to a formal party?
A boo-tie.

Why did the game warden arrest the ghost?
He didn't have a haunting license.

Where did the goblin throw the football?
Over the ghoul line.

What do you call a goblin who gets too close to a bonfire?
A toasty ghosty.

What kind of makeup do goblins wear?
mas-scare-a

Who beats his chest and swings from Christmas cake to Christmas cake?
Tarzipan!

What did Adam say on the day before Christmas?
It's Christmas, Eve!

What did the big angel say to the little angel?
Halo there!

Who delivers presents to baby sharks at Christmas?
Santa Jaws!

What do you get if you cross Santa Claus with a detective?
Santa Clues!
spikepipsqueak

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:21 pm
@Izzie,
q. Why does Santa wear pink underwear?

A. He did all his laundry in one load.

My Dad used to say "Bet I can make you laugh." Then he'd hold one finger up and stare at me. Of course, it's like trying not to think about the green monkey's left armpit, eventually I'd collapse into giggles.
Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:29 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
<SPIKE.... you're back again... where ya beennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn girl. oopps.... sorry - off topic - missed ya>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:30 pm
Did you hear about the boy who wanted to run away to the circus ?
He ended up in a flea circus !
---
'Why is your name the same as principal's ?' a new boy at school asked his teacher.
'Because he's my father !'
'Did you know that when you took the job ?'
---
'We're going to play elephants and circuses,' said a little boy at kindergarten, 'Do you want to join in?'
'I'd love to,'replied the teacher. 'What do you want me to do?'
'You can be the lady that feeds us peanuts !'
---
Teacher: why couldn't your brother spell 'Mississippi' when I asked him this afternoon in class ?
Boy: Because he didn't know if you meant the river or the state !
-----
Simple Simon was writing a geography essay. It began like this: The people who live in Paris are called parasites....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:41 pm
I know you didn't, Chai. And I apologize for being so snippy.

But I have spent countless hours in a therapists offices listening to someone tell seven year old Mo to "lighten up because you're a kid and your job is to be a kid and kids aren't supposed to be worried about stuff."

A seven year old should spend the majority of their waking hours laughing at things.

A seven year old should not be so inhibited that they can't laugh, or won't laugh.
boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
Hehehe....

Good jokes, everyone! Thanks!
Green Witch

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:58 pm
@boomerang,
Have you asked her if she has ever laughed at a joke, story, movie or TV show? Is there a situation that she remembers that made her laugh out loud? I think she needs to give you some guidance. You could also try the backwards approach of telling her you need a funny story to make a very sad person feel better and see what she comes up with. Even as a 7 year old I did not laugh at knock knock jokes, but I loved a good Marx Brothers movie.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:59 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I know you didn't, Chai. And I apologize for being so snippy.

But I have spent countless hours in a therapists offices listening to someone tell seven year old Mo to "lighten up because you're a kid and your job is to be a kid and kids aren't supposed to be worried about stuff."

A seven year old should spend the majority of their waking hours laughing at things.

A seven year old should not be so inhibited that they can't laugh, or won't laugh.

Ayy yii yii ... not all therapists are good; not all therapists are in touch with reality. I had two normal (whatever) children and they didn't spend the majority of their waking hours laughing at things. Jeez Louise.

Knock knock
Who's there
Mickey Mouse's Underwear

For some reason, my kids loved that one and would make up other answers.

I think you need to lighten up a little. People here want to help. Not everything is a live or die situation. Sometimes **** happens, like a person (grown or child) doesn't find humour in things. Whatever. Let it be.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:41 pm
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...

I start a thread asking for jokes appropriate to tell a seven year old in hopes of making her laugh and I need to lighten up!?

Okey dokie.

Please people, no more jokes.

I'm going to skip the silly stories and discuss the merits of soft determinism with Mo tonight because jeez louise laughing is just such a huge waste of time for children.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:55 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm not impressed with that therapist. I agree that kids shouldn't have to worry about things that aren't age-appropriate, but kids do sometimes worry about those things. You don't get people not to think about things by saying "don't think that"; you give them coping strategies.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:00 pm
Ever seen elephants hiding in trees?

(when they answer no)

They hide pretty good, don't they?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:06 pm
How do you trap a unique rabbit?

you neek up on it, of course...

hugs.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:09 pm
What do Canadians eat for breakfast? Pea soup.

What do Canadians eat for lunch? Pea soup.

What do Canadians eat for dinner? Pea soup.

What do Canadians do after dinner?
boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:15 pm
@DrewDad,
I agree DrewDad. They do worry about things. My point is that they need to be reminded that they shouldn't worry about them because they're kids. They should tell adults and let the adults do the worrying.

Admittedly, not all adults do a good job of fixing or explaining things that kids worry about.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:28 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Admittedly, not all adults do a good job of fixing or explaining things that kids worry about.

Damn straight.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:31 pm
And I think this thread is a goldmine....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 07:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
I know that one as "pea green soup."
0 Replies