Friendly Freaks Group (UK)

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:57 am
You don't have to be born in the UK to be a freak - but it helps!

However - no prejudice here - If you are a freak from Timbuktu - welcome

This is a place for freaks to chill out together - still, if I sit here alone chilling - that's okay too.
I am a recluse, so i'm not fazed by silence.

I will write some freakish stuff here
maybe put up a freakish recipe or two
hey - freakish poetry and freakamondo raps - always welcome

no worries about your 'rep' here - i couldn't give a toss - so feel free to freak out
Endy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 42,117 • Replies: 468

Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:09 pm

Freak

You are kind to the freaks
that you meet on the streets
as you happy, go on your way
You are kind to me too
when I turn to you
you know just what to say
You see me like them
only just round the bend
and perhaps that's okay
A freak I may be
That may be just me
Hey, what can I say?

You are kind to the freaks
whenever they speak
in a human way
And if I can impart
a piece of my heart
you'll forgive my mistakes
Forgiving are you
of the things I might do
or the ways I might speak
Forgiving of me
like the rest that you greet
because I am a freak

Endymion 2008
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:34 pm

Freak (2)

I like your silence
It evades me
Skips across the last pure beat
Repeat"Repeat-Repeat
I am not really sorry
Only really eyes
Watching from the dark
Corners of this empty space
Scars my fingers trace
Human yes, but not exactly blessed

Endymion 2008
Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:46 pm
@Endymion,
endy, maybe you need a theme song to draw an initial crowd...

I'll loan ya one. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7zX2SMPz4

keep on keepin on
Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Laughing Cool

Hahh! Yeah man - i am on my water-bed!!! ha haa
i love it, Rockhead - got any more?
There is that FREAK OUT track by some disco chicks way back -

Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:03 pm
@Endymion,
I notoriously don't do disco, but I might toss a song at ya once in a while if that works for your format...
Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:05 pm
@Endymion,

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:07 pm
@Rockhead,
cheers Rockhead
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:14 pm

Hot Freaks
Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:37 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62
Love the way the drums kick off - love drums (and bass)- funky **** - cool rhythm
excellent vocals - blown away

makes me want to write stuff down
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:42 pm
@Endymion,
guided by voices is probably my favourite band, sadly they are a band no more
Endymion

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:19 pm
@djjd62,
i'm gona look them up on amazon before i switch off

night all
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:36 am
@djjd62,
i see they ended in 2004 - i'm going to get the Best Of (they say it's one of the best Best Of albums ever)
thats my christmas present sorted this year!
cheers djjd62
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:41 am

Freak (3)

Being a freak, he hid
Ever pensive to the onlookers
Faces pressed eager to the glass,
they watched him for signs of normality
He, who had underestimated
their vast, clawing insanity
They sat him up and asked him
"Who did this to you?"
But he could only roll away from them,
clutching the secret close
He knew he couldn't believe in them
For they were nothing real, but ghosts
of dead humanity, beyond his freak-dom
and if he looked too long at their faces
he might be them

Endymion 2008
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:40 pm

What does it mean to feel like a freak?

Outcast? Unsociable? Unable? Alienated? Ugly? Without charm? Deformed?
Different? Confused?

I think people can feel like a freak because of being shy.

Or because of deep convictions more tuned to artistic perception.
If they feel they have no role in society because they are non-materialists, spiritualists, loners.

If they long for philosophy and sociology that isn't contrived and set out before them, but comes from shaman-like self-transformations which involve looking at the failings of this world, and themselves "
That this can make them withdraw, as they fight against their own bleak darkness " whatever it may be caused by " something within or outside of them.

Disapproval, ridicule, persecution. These things could make someone feel like a freak. Propaganda against them, which the main bulk of society fails to see as a political tool. For individuals the pain of generalised attack could lead to deep self-loathing.

Or perhaps because or physical or mental difficulties " so called 'imperfections' in a perfectionist (western) world.

Or because they 'see ' things differently (as I see things symbolically " or in patterns) and feel things passionately " things that other people don't seem to care a damn about " or even notice.

Or perhaps they feel shut out of the groups they secretly desire to be part of because of their class, race, religion or atheism, sexual preference, or lack of wealth " or too much wealth.

They might feel like a freak because they don't have TV. Or a family. Or a car. Or a gun. Or a goldfish.
(That's me, to all of the above).

Because they have a different set of values to those around them. Because they are out numbered or the odd one out " so they must be odd.

Whatever it is " I believe to be different to the norm is nothing to feel shame about, although for now, it is impossible to imagine a time of acceptance beyond patronizing bull-****. All the liberal, politically correct, insubstantial rubbish the media puts across as 'their effort to diversify' when really it's a freak show and you can tell, because of their sneeringly cold and indifferent attitude towards the on-the-ground- realities,

We are all different. As much as we are all joined as humans, but no one is perfect and those who recognize the uniqueness of themselves may feel like freaks " but what does that really mean?

This quote is for you

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead.

Albert Einstein

0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:11 am
KES

http://www.dfi.dk/dfi/undervisning/kes/kes.jpg
David Bradley as Billy Casper

A Kestrel for a Knave (1968) is a book written by Barry Hines (b1939) who was a miner's son born in the North of England.

Like Hines, the director Ken Loach (b1936) was a miner's son. In 1970, he made the film KES.

Here's a write-up

Quote:
Kes is a bleakly realistic film set in an industrial town, Barnsley, in the North of England. It tells the story of Billy Casper, the product of a broken working-class home who has been in trouble with the law for stealing and who is also the victim of bullying at school both by the teachers (particularly the gym teacher) and the other students and at home by his older brother Jud who is a miner at the local pit. His mother seems more interested in going to the pub with a boyfriend than in either of her sons. Billy's only interest in life is reading comic books like the Dandy, until one day out for a walk near Monastery Farm he finds a baby kestrel.

Billy becomes determined to raise the bird. He fails to be admitted to the local library and in spite of his difficulty with reading steals a book on falconry from the local second-hand book shop. He learns how to feed and nurture and train it. Billy is then pressed to talk about the kestrel in class. One of the children in the class says, 'He never knocks around with anybody else...he's mad over it.' At first he is hesitant but as he feels the class's attention and absorption in his story, he speaks with assurance and eloquence about his passion. This story catches the attention of one of his more sympathetic teachers, Mr Farthing who comes to watch him flying the bird. There is no sense of a future for Billy - his employment options are limited by lack of status, money or family support but in his relationship with the bird something powerful happens to him. However when he fails to put a bet on for his brother that would have resulted in a win, his brother takes his revenge...

Kes is one amongst many films that deals with the difficulty of growing-up both physically and psychologically. It is a film about how some adults can help and others can hinder the process of growing-up and what some children find for themselves to help them survive. Kes is a tragic love story about Billy Casper and the kestrel he finds. It is a film about violence, injustice and despair but also about human potential. Kes is also critical of an educational system that tends to uniformity and restriction.

From Film Education

http://fisharepeopletoo.blogs.com/1/images/kes_1.jpg

Quote:
Even today for kids like young Billy, his legacy means something " if only in saying that it’s okay to be an outsider in society. Self-empowerment comes about through a process of self-understanding; we all are uniquely gifted, and have within ourselves the ability to overcome many of life’s challenges.

David Bradley 2008

"He reached the stile which led into the woods, climbed on to it and looked back. Fields and fences and hedgerows. The sun was in the sky, and the only sound was the continuous relay of bird song."

_______ BARRY HINES "A Kestrel For A Knave"________

more
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2005/feb/19/featuresreviews.guardianreview10
Joeblow

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:14 pm
@Endymion,
Kes made me think of The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.

Not a film (well actually it is a film, too, but it's the book I endorse)

Did you read it? I liked it.

Freak, out.

Smile
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:34 pm
@Endymion,
Honey, I'm home!
Izzie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:35 pm
@Endymion,
Hey Endy...

I loved Kes - I was a wee girl when I saw the movie and too young to understand it. Then I saw it when I was a little older. I named a "pretend" boyfried "Kes" - so, I guess I'm in the freaky club too mate.

The film has great meaning as I got older - which I reckon you understand my angle. My son tried to help an injured buzzard, he was heartbroken when we couldn't make it better. Our next door neighbour had a buzzard too.. I have a photo I will scan taken outside our old house. Beautiful birds of prey - tho the world sees them differently too.

Good to see ya Endy. x
Endymion

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 07:00 pm
Hey cheers all

I was going to say something more about Kes, but I just can't seem to say what i want so...maybe another time.
I'd love to debate the social issues around it