Let's get rid of the Electoral College

Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 08:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I like to keep some mystery, and its none of your business who I am.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 08:38 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

I like to keep some mystery, and its none of your business who I am.

My statement to Spendius was partially centered upon u,
but not entirely; it was also more universal.
In your particular case, it is indeed none of my business
who u r, inasmuch as I am not going to England to meet u,
but I have met some posters on this forum and on this thread;
(one of whom is now in England), as well as having met posters
on the forerunner of this forum: Abuzz, in NY and of other fora.
Some of them attended dinners of the SIG that I founded in Mensa about 30 years ago.

David
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:15 am
To bring this thread back on track, a few necessary reminders:

The electoral college isn't responsible for long lines at polling places;
The electoral college isn't responsible for the length or cost of presidential campaigns;
The electoral college isn't responsible for the fact that the presidential election is held in November;
The electoral college isn't responsible for the quality of presidential candidates (or lack thereof);
Getting rid of the electoral college won't address any of these issues.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:55 am
@joefromchicago,
Your list of points certainly suggests that reform is order: which is what I'm proposing. If it was just that EC was undemocratic but worked you could argue there wasn't much of a problem. But there obviously is.
A 200 year old system needs overhauling. I could at least double that list with other valid criticisms but you know that.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Forgive me David: that sounded a lot harsher than I intended.
rabel22

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@joefromchicago,
I would rather vote for a presidential candidate than an elector. Where is it writen that the elector I vote for has to vote for my candidate. The electorial collage has the pontential to be misused.
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@rabel22,
Believe it or not, Rabel, people actually do keep a record of such things. The instances of electors voting for someone other than the candidate to whom they are pledged are extremely rare. There is little potential, in fact the that Electoral College (there is no "i" in electoral) will be misused.

In fact, all the bullshit peddled in this thread about the Electoral College, what it does, what it doesn't do, and how it functions constitutes much more abuse than can ever be reasonably alleged against the institution itself.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:24 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Forgive me David:
that sounded a lot harsher than I intended.

There is nothing to forgive; I fully agree with what u said.

It was less harsh than the stupidity that u attributed to me
(harmlessly, however lacking in civility) for which u did not ask forgiveness.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Spendius...you are over-reacting once again.

Gee Frank-- you are a sensitive soul aren't you. I'm in first gear. It looks like I had better stay there too.

Quote:
Read my post again...and you will see that you are wrong on so many of the charges you made in that angry tirade you last posted.

I don't buy into my being wrong on so many charges I made on the basis of you having said so. Wasted words are wasted words. You read your post again. Don't give me orders as if I was a recalcitrant schoolkid. I read your post.

And I wasn't angry. I have never been angry in my life. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. You can call anything anybody says a "tirade". It means nothing I can see. If it did all conversation which didn't involve mutual stroking would cease. All disputes would consist of "tirade", "tirade", "tirade". Can't you see that?

Quote:
The point of the "intelligent" remark was to highlight that "great intelligence" and some of the petty, cutting remarks obviously made to prod people into responding in kind...so you can then fault them for making petty, cutting remarks...holds.

That's over my head. It must be too intelligent.

Quote:
Obviously, most of the charges you are making against Americans in this thread and so many others is merely projection.

More empty assertions. Give me a couple of examples. I'm always eager to improve myself.

Quote:
Doesn't make you a bad person.

What doesn't? Your assertions? What's a bad person in this context? I hope it isn't anybody who doesn't think the sun shines out of your arse. There must be quite a considerable number of those.

Quote:
I laugh the stuff off.

Sheesh! Another assertion. And not quite true. You post it off maybe. Laughs don't finger keyboards.

Quote:
I'd still love the chance to have a beer with you...and sit an shoot the breeze about things that don't send you off on a tear...assuming there are such things.

Which there aren't. I can drink with anybody. You should see some of the specimens I do do. And have done.

But assertions in the service of atheism in schools I will always take on. Or about getting rid of the Monarchy. Or the liberal agenda. You might not love having a drink with me if that sort of stuff comes up.

But I soon get fed up with assertions about my posts. I actually don't give a **** what anybody thinks about my posts. They just exist. Like the stones by the road. What my posts say is another matter.

Hey- Mr Bush was great today. History will praise that man.

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Is a blighter a locust ?

A locust is one of many blighters.

Did you see the BBC's programme about swarming blighters last night? It'll be on i-player. I didn't see all of it but I did see those flies on Lake Victoria. And those ants!! Crickey. What blighters ants are when they relocate.

Sorry about the "power cut". Cultural thing. You call them outages. Out for ages and half an hour is an age when the juice is off.

Quote:
an ugly old man with a twisted brain who is amusing himself at our expense.

No chance.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:34 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Is a blighter a locust ?

Quote:
A locust is one of many blighters.

Did you see the BBC's programme about swarming blighters last night? It'll be on i-player.

I did not.

Quote:
I didn't see all of it but I did see those flies on Lake Victoria. And those ants!! Crickey.
What blighters ants are when they relocate.

I know what flies n ants r; what 's a crickey ?
Is that in the cricket family ?

Quote:
Sorry about the "power cut". Cultural thing. You call them outages.
Out for ages and half an hour is an age when the juice is off.

I see; thank u.
Quote:
an ugly old man with a twisted brain who is amusing himself at our expense.

Quote:
No chance.

I am encouraged by your optimism.

Spendius,
an abrasive manner has recently been imputed to me.

May I ask,
in your objective opinion, have I manifested an abrasive personality ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:02 pm
@spendius,
Spendius wrote:

Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 3530527)
Quote:
Spendius...you are over-reacting once again.

Gee Frank-- you are a sensitive soul aren't you. I'm in first gear. It looks like I had better stay there too.

Quote:
Read my post again...and you will see that you are wrong on so many of the charges you made in that angry tirade you last posted.

I don't buy into my being wrong on so many charges I made on the basis of you having said so. Wasted words are wasted words. You read your post again. Don't give me orders as if I was a recalcitrant schoolkid. I read your post.

And I wasn't angry. I have never been angry in my life. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. You can call anything anybody says a "tirade". It means nothing I can see. If it did all conversation which didn't involve mutual stroking would cease. All disputes would consist of "tirade", "tirade", "tirade". Can't you see that?

Quote:
The point of the "intelligent" remark was to highlight that "great intelligence" and some of the petty, cutting remarks obviously made to prod people into responding in kind...so you can then fault them for making petty, cutting remarks...holds.

That's over my head. It must be too intelligent.

Quote:
Obviously, most of the charges you are making against Americans in this thread and so many others is merely projection.

More empty assertions. Give me a couple of examples. I'm always eager to improve myself.

Quote:
Doesn't make you a bad person.

What doesn't? Your assertions? What's a bad person in this context? I hope it isn't anybody who doesn't think the sun shines out of your arse. There must be quite a considerable number of those.

Quote:
I laugh the stuff off.

Sheesh! Another assertion. And not quite true. You post it off maybe. Laughs don't finger keyboards.

Quote:
I'd still love the chance to have a beer with you...and sit an shoot the breeze about things that don't send you off on a tear...assuming there are such things.

Which there aren't. I can drink with anybody. You should see some of the specimens I do do. And have done.

But I soon get fed up with assertions about my posts. I actually don't give a **** what anybody thinks about my posts. They just exist. Like the stones by the road. What my posts say is another matter.

Yup, you do go off on a tear at just anything, Spendius.

Quote:
Don't give me orders as if I was (sic) a recalcitrant schoolkid. I read your post.

Okay. You're right. I should have suggested you try understanding it--rather than asking you to read it.

Gosh, you sure sound angry for a guy who has never been angry in his life!!!!

Quote:
Hey- Mr Bush was great today. History will praise that man.

I'm hoping this is a joke...so at least something in the post has some merit. On the offshoot chance that you are serious here...a question:

Are you serious???

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes.

Quote:

It must be all those polite discussions you have had Frank.

Anger is not to be confused with forceful argument.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:36 pm
@spendius,
Spendius...you wrote:

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:

It must be all those polite discussions you have had Frank.

Anger is not to be confused with forceful argument.

This truly does not make any sense...and I'm having trouble re-arranging the words so that it becomes coherent.

Would you give me a hand here.
spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 07:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sure-- charges of anger are brought into play to pretend that a forceful argument is invalid. It's easy. Did you not know that's what you were doing? I'm sometimes drunk. Sometimes I'm preening. Stupid. Off my meds. There's a long list. Anything suffices to not have to answer the forceful argument. Dipshit. Any pejoritive will do. They are seen as clinchers in some circles.

If you did know what you were doing it means you're underestimating the intelligence of the readers here. A bit like conjurers do at children's parties. If you didn't--well--what can I say. It's a bit late to be teaching you things like that at this late stage.

Fore!!
Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:53 am
@spendius,
I agree: arguing America is a rubbish country, with a rubbish system, that produces rubbish leaders is a FORCEFUL argument. Throwing a molotov cocktail at the American embassy is an angry argument.
Spendius is doing his best to argue reasonably with people who aren't engaging in discussion, It is frustrating.
Here is my idea: lets read each others posts and post an answer based on them, rather than trying to score cheap points. Part of the reason we are here is to entertain ourselves with whit and riposte.
Francis

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 04:17 am
@Fountofwisdom,
I don't give a whit about it...

(waiting for your riposte now, as my post was not a witty one)
Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:31 am
@Francis,
Any excuse to riposte. (re post) (RE POST) LOL.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:18 am
@spendius,
Ahhh...such a measured post from someone who has never gotten angry in his life...and who lectures others on vitriol in posts!!!

Get control over your emotions, Spendius. You are looking foolish here for no good reason.

C'mon, cool down. Stop taking yourself and this discussion so seriously. Neither is worth it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:27 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Honestly, Fount...if you don't get a laugh out of what is happening in this thread...you have no sense of humor.

I am completely willing to discuss and debate anything in a reasonable way. If you honestly think Spendius has been reasonable...then something is seriously wrong with your ability to think.

Spendius has been poking and jabbing and insulting throughout this thread...and anytime anyone takes a shot back, he reacts like a five-year old who has been allowed by his parents to drink some ale!

Frankly, I like and enjoy both you and Spendius...but some of the small-minded nonsense can wear thin. I was just giving him a taste of what he has been dishing out in post after post...(I do not know that he has ever posted a comment that does not have a dig at someone or something)...and he has reacted exactly like I thought he would.

Boorishly!

Now, if we want to get back to the actual issue of the thread...I AM AN AMERICAN...and I have no problem with keeping the Electoral College in play exactly as it is...and I completely understand intelligent, reasonable fellow Americans who think otherwise.

Do you want to comment on that?