Let's get rid of the Electoral College

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:10 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
it's time to drop this archaic method of selecting POTUS...

Hardly archaic.

And no. We aren't going to stop using the Electoral College.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
the way the Founders felt made sense in the 18th century...DOES NOT MAKE SENSE in the 21st.

Yes it does.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's strange how Americans are so reverential towards the founding fathers.

We just like being free.

izzythepush wrote:
In what other area would the ideas of 18th Century politicians take precedence over contemporary thinking?

In the UK.

You guys still haven't ditched your parliamentary system and started choosing your head of government with a direct vote of the people.

izzythepush wrote:
It's probably apocryphal, but I've heard it's still the law in England and Wales that all men should practice archery for two hours every Sunday.

That should be updated to: "practice with grenades, bazookas, and full-auto weapons".

izzythepush wrote:
That's how we won the hundred years' war, Crecy Poitiers and Agincourt, it must be right.

England won the Hundred Years War??

Didn't France drive England out of continental Europe, resulting in the extinction of the main Plantagenet lineage and civil war between the two offshoot lineages?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:38 am
@oralloy,
You don't know what free is. You're a drone, an unthinking lickspittle.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:40 am
@izzythepush,
I know exactly what freedom is. I actually live it.

Free people have the right to keep and bear arms.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:51 am
@oralloy,
That is typical of the simplistic, rehearsed response, that you give.

Your limited vocabulary does not hide the fact that someone else is doing your, (dim-witted,) thinking for you.

A more reasoned , and intelligent response would be that it's not unique to America, that most cultures do the same.

Arthurian legend harks back to the Roman Empire.

Virgil's Aeneid deal with the travels of the Trojan prince Aeneas who fled the fall of Troy and fathered Romulus and Remus, the foundrrs of Rome.

London was also founded by a Trojan prince Brutus.

None of that desire for tradition excuses the paedophile NRA filth from butchering children on an industrial scale.

Those terrorist scum should all be arrested, tried and executed. Now that will make America great.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 02:55 am
@oralloy,
Paid all your medical bills yet?

Free people don't get those.

And free people protect their children from child murdering NRA filth.

Now do what you're told and eat your lettuce.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 04:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Paid all your medical bills yet?

Haven't received them yet. But I'm expecting a $9100 bill. Insurance should cover the rest.

That'll be pretty inconvenient, but it will not wipe me out.

I would have saved a few thousand had I picked a different insurance plan this year. But no use crying over spilt milk. At least I'm alive.

izzythepush wrote:
Free people don't get those.

Nonsense. That's not what freedom means.

izzythepush wrote:
And free people protect their children from child murdering NRA filth.

That's nonsense. The NRA doesn't harm anyone.

izzythepush wrote:
Now do what you're told and eat your lettuce.

That's a low blow. Sad
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 04:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That is typical of the simplistic, rehearsed response, that you give.

All I did was post the truth.

izzythepush wrote:
Your limited vocabulary does not hide the fact that someone else is doing your, (dim-witted,) thinking for you.

You always lie about me. I wish you would stop.

izzythepush wrote:
A more reasoned, and intelligent response would be that it's not unique to America, that most cultures do the same.
Arthurian legend harks back to the Roman Empire.
Virgil's Aeneid deal with the travels of the Trojan prince Aeneas who fled the fall of Troy and fathered Romulus and Remus, the foundrrs of Rome.
London was also founded by a Trojan prince Brutus.

How does any of that relate to our previous posts?

izzythepush wrote:
None of that desire for tradition excuses the paedophile NRA filth from butchering children on an industrial scale.
Those terrorist scum should all be arrested, tried and executed. Now that will make America great.

You are lying about the NRA too. They have never harmed anyone.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 04:07 am
@oralloy,
Over nine grand for what should be yours by right.

You really are a serf, paying to lick the arses of the rich insurance brokers and medical providers.

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 04:34 am
@izzythepush,
I wouldn't mind further improvements to America's health care system.

But that's a different issue from the question of freedom.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:21 am
@oralloy,
You'd rather lick the rich man's arse.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:29 am
@izzythepush,
No. I'd rather have the right to keep and bear arms.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:31 am
@oralloy,
I'm glad to live in a free country where our children are protected from creeps like you.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
You don't live in a free country. People in free countries have the right to keep and bear arms.

I'm not a creep, and children do not need to be protected from me. Why do you always lie about people?

If I were living in the UK, the UK government would deem me to have a legitimate need for a lever-action rifle, and would issue me a firearms certificate accordingly.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 10:27 am
@oralloy,
You live in a deluded country with looking glass thinking.

Freedom is having free and fair elections, and America has a long shemeful history of suppressing the black vote.

It's also about the will of the people, and we don't want some pathetic loser having a gun just to feel big.

And we're not interested in any spineless lettuce chomping weakling's delusional definitions.

Be careful, you might get convicted of jaywalking, that's what happens to serfs.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 10:40 am
@oralloy,
You fantasised about killing Italian children.

That's pretty much a text book definition of creep.
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2023 11:05 pm
@izzythepush,
I did no such thing. Do you even know what fantasize means?

What I did is openly call for it to be done. (With much justification I might add.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2023 11:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You live in a deluded country with looking glass thinking.

It's only our progressives who think like that.

izzythepush wrote:
Freedom is having free and fair elections,

Free people have the right to keep and bear arms.

izzythepush wrote:
America has a long shemeful history of suppressing the black vote.

Nonsense.

izzythepush wrote:
It's also about the will of the people, and we don't want some pathetic loser having a gun just to feel big.

Your serfdom causes you to have bigoted views towards free people.

izzythepush wrote:
And we're not interested in any spineless lettuce chomping weakling's delusional definitions.

Wrong on spineless, wrong on weak, and wrong on delusional.

The definition in question has been used by humanity for thousands of years.

izzythepush wrote:
Be careful, you might get convicted of jaywalking, that's what happens to serfs.

If so, I won't have to worry, as I am a free America citizen.
0 Replies

chrisb555

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 10:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We need a means to represent the small towns, the "fly over states". They are important and represent the US as much as the rest of us. They are underpopulated and don't have population center issues, but they are a foundation. Crops, crops, crops, minerals, etc. The truth is that we need to solve our urban problems in the urban centers of politics. Chicago is a huge democratic voting bloc, but it is an anomaly in Illinois at large. Same for most red states in the middle of America. We need to find a means to address the issues of population density without killing the rest of us. Uber, mass transit, etc. don't exist in the majority of geographic US. The problems being solved at the Federal level are addressing only a few communities across the country. Go to my town and ask if they care about most of the issues on the voting ballot and they'd chime in about stupid things that don't have any bearing on their life because nobody is talking about what matters to them. It's about taxes and the cost of living. Now we have managed to make abortion a new issue. Just stay out of our personal lives please. The Federal Government should not be in that role. That is the role of local and state legislation. We have made our Presidential vote be about our life versus about preserving and protecting it.

Keep the electoral college, otherwise 96% of the US geography will pay for everybody living in the urban areas. It's not fair to them and we shouldn't ask them to subsidize our choices to live in these densely populated areas.