Are you posting less or more now?

nimh

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Why don't we file a petition [..]. If the majority wants
the old design or something equivalent, then it should be done.

Um ... it's not a democracy. It's a site that Craven keeps alive by ploughing thousands of dollars of his own in it and working long nights of his free time on -- and that we get to use without paying anything or doing anything for it. Seriously, we dont get to present him with edicts of what we demand him to do for us.

I cant believe he spends all of his free time and money on this forum we use anyway, especially since he's only met with a wave of complaints for every change he makes - I know I'd never, ever do it, fuhgeddaboutit!
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:30 pm
@Green Witch,
The avatars , are so damn small, whats the use?
I think my Genl Grant avavie would be lost as a teeny smudge.

You are right about how the old site "showcased " the tpocs better. The example of this is how very few threads actually get more than 20 or 30 responses, And even those that do have to be almost inflamatory to do it.
I hope the final roll out takes some of the old and blends it with the better tech of the new site.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:31 pm
@nimh,
I agree with you, nimh - not only are the old forums pretty much listed at the side of the topics page, and have been for months - they're even easier to find than they used to be.

Oh, and I'm not a techie.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I've got used to the new look now...

just... PM's BRING 'EM BACK!!!! Can check on the folk I care about by checking their profile and see what their posting on ....

just... doesn't seem to be as many interesting threads going on like they used to.... sorry, mean fun threads.... slippy slappy, goofy gus, kinky kicky.... people seem busier too...
nimh

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The avatars , are so damn small, whats the use?
I think my Genl Grant avavie would be lost as a teeny smudge.

Go to your profile (I do that by clicking on my name at the top right of the screen), click Edit Preferences, and where it says "Show avatars", switch from "small" to "large".

Some people like to see small avvies -- others like large avvies. Here, everyone can choose which they get, depending on their own preferences.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:39 pm
@nimh,
Osso, the blog has one entry in October and nothing since.

nimh, you've been THE complainer par excellence for such a long time, funny that you're getting tired with others who simply vent here. Obviously a great
majority of a2k regulars don't feel the same way as you do - some vent right here, others just disappeared. That's a fact.

Yes, Amazon, CNN and other major sites have changed to a MORE user friendly design not something 90 % of users have difficulties with.

This site was not designed with the common user in mind.

Most of us love a2k because of its people and that's the reason why we
come back here, despite the long-winded manageability of this site.
Dutchy

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
Spot on CalamityJane, that's exactly what my friends on the trivia threads have been e-mailing me since they left, A2K IS NO LONGER USER FRIENDLY.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:46 pm
@nimh,
Yeah, some people kiss ass others don't! Very simple.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:48 pm
@Dutchy,
Dutchy, I have a few friends who were reading along at the old a2k - they enjoyed it tremendously, even though they didn't want to register and write.

Here with the new design they gave up completely.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Most of us love a2k because of its people and that's the reason why we
come back here, despite the long-winded manageability of this site.

And as the community continues to shrink your motivation to come back will as well. All that has happened was predicted by me. Craven insisted upon unleashing his unproven design on this community rather than take the more prudent course which was to take his design and attempt to build a new community around it. His act was motivated from a disrespect of the a2k community and a lack of understanding of the importance of community.

And nimh, a2k is not a philanthropy project, as Craven himself has admitted, it is a commercial project. He is in it for the bucks, and the devaluation of a2k hurts him along with the rest of us.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:50 pm
@nimh,
I did not know that there even was such a feature to size the avatars. Embarrassed

I guess I missed the memo, or, as is usually the case. I CARE NOT TO READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL

****, now I gotta fgo find my Gen Grant
Dutchy

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
Want more proof. See how many new faces have joined the trivia and game threads on a permanent basis since the new format started. I rest my case.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I did not know that there even was such a feature to size the avatars. Embarrassed

I guess I missed the memo, or, as is usually the case. I CARE NOT TO READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL

****, now I gotta fgo find my Gen Grant

You see, that's one of the problems too - you have to read the manual in how
to use a forum in order to maneuver around here.

I am a MAC user - I plug in and use it, I don't do manuals - at least not in my
spare time. I have enough to read professionally, I try to unwind here.....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:55 pm
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

Want more proof. See how many new faces have joined the trivia and game threads on a permanent basis since the new format started. I rest my case.

I know Dutchy! What happened to our "where am I" game? I have searched
for it numerous times, only to give up in the end.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
And nimh, a2k is not a philanthropy project, as Craven himself has admitted, it is a commercial project. He is in it for the bucks, and the devaluation of a2k hurts him along with the rest of us.

Do you have a link for this, hawkeye?
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sorry! I seem to be on a roll here tonight, and I have mostly kept out of these kind of discussions, despite my annoyance with the design, but today is the day, I guess - the barrel is full and I've got to complain!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
nimh, you've been THE complainer par excellence for such a long time

About the new site? You must have me confused with someone else. I think it's been a great improvement. The only thing I really miss is the old search function, in which you could specifically find posts by poster. Otherwise it's much better now.

CalamityJane wrote:
Obviously a great majority of a2k regulars don't feel the same way as you do - some vent right here, others just disappeared. That's a fact.

There's nothing "obvious" about your assertion that "a great majority" feels like you do. I'd personally bet it was a minority, just a loud and repetitive one. But there's no way to know unless you wanna do a head count.

There's lots of us who appreciate the new site. And have said so. But most of us just thanked the makers in a couple of threads at the time and moved on. We dont go on and on about it, we just get on with posting topics we're interested in.

CalamityJane wrote:
Yes, Amazon, CNN and other major sites have changed to a MORE user friendly design not something 90 % of users have difficulties with.

Obviously 89.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot (to suit one's own needs). That's a fact.
nimh

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 08:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Craven is making zilch on this site. Of course he hopes he will be able to make money with it in the future, and of course that's part of why he's been modernising it - to at least have a chance of turning it into something that wont cost him $$$ forever. But right now you're posting on a site that exists because the guy is spending thousands of $$ of his own to keep it up -- and because he's been doing that for years on end.

But yeah, lets not be appreciative of that, cause that would be "kissing ass".
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 08:06 pm
@nimh,
I just opened a thread and asked the users here if they're pro/con this design.
We'll see then!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 08:15 pm
What are you talking about, Jane?