Are you posting less or more now?

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:57 am
@panzade,
I could care less if my usage is justified. This is a forum, not the Oxford debate club.
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:38 am
@panzade,
Debate clubs are forums. They are a market-place of ideas.

There are no ideas in declaring others to be morons and then using the assertion as an excuse for declining to debate with them unless the usage is justified and not left to stand on its own. It is but a snort if it is.

You really ought to care that your usages are justified.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:17 pm
@farmerman,
But Roberta is starting painting again, and I'm thinking about it (I know, I keep saying that. But it's getting closer.)

Which reminds, me, Farmer, do you have your paintings on a website, or have your own, or none of the above?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:27 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

or it could be 'cause he's arguing with morons...

I believe you nailed it, panz.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:00 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
It's not art he wants to discuss--it's himself.

But all you seem to want to discuss is farmerman, so aren't you being hypocritical?
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:33 pm
@Gargamel,
If it saves you having to make a post with a point to it assert that I'm hypocritical. I don't mind. You can assert that I'm a moron if you like. It's nothing to me because it means nothing. If you say that I'm a moron and someone else assures you that you've nailed it it still doesn't mean anything.

Explain to me how someone who supports evolution theory can possibly have an objection to a chap with 23 volunteer wives. I support evolution theory but I don't then start woffling about Christian morality. Anybody who wants both taught in the same school is a moron if he thinks he's not being hypocritical.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:35 pm
Those who wish to use assertions to justify themselves ought to ponder the reported words of the pilot of the plane which was crashed into an IRS office.

He said that " corporate leaders were "thugs and plunderers" guilty of "gluttony and overwhelming stupidity" and politicians were "thieves, liars, and self-serving scumbags."

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@spendius,
He ought to have added "and their lickspittals and lackeys" because those who benefit from being suppliers to their needs, which are often exhorbitant, are equally culpable by connection just as the contractors to the concentration camps were said to be.

Yes Madame, I readily own it is such a consternation. Would like like another bottle?

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:01 pm
@spendius,
spenduis, I say this more in sorrow than in anger (because I rather like you, sometimes) ....

I really wish you'd cut this sort of posting out.

You're selling yourself short, you know. And it gets pretty tiresome & predictable.

<sighing heavily>
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:22 pm
@spendius,
Might I respectfully suggest Olga that you place me on Ignore. I do not wish to be the cause of your heavy sighs but I also do not wish that such sighing is the cause of a suppression of free expression.

That is the very reason why the ladies withdrew after the sticky puddings were swallowed in refined dinner parties and took their coffee in another room. That there are some things which sensitive ladies ought not to hear is no reason that they should not be heard at all.

I find generally that conversation acceptable to ladies is not proper conversation. It is more in the way of grovelling and of absolutely no use to the ladies. That is the fundamental problem media wrestles with day in and day out.
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Might I respectfully suggest Olga that you place me on Ignore.

Nah, I don't put anyone here on ignore, spendy.

Might I respectfully suggest you restrain yourself a little? Smile

I know you're not as petty as you're coming across. But following folk around & spouting unpleasant things about them at every opportunity is, well ... rather unattractive! Wink

Besides, when your posts are good they're great! (I mean that, in case you think I'm sucking up.)
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:40 pm
@msolga,
You really ought Olga to be giving a piece of your mind to those who declare others to be morons as a clinching argument and without the slightest interest in justifying such ignorant assertions.
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:44 pm
@msolga,
What's up with sucking up Olga. It's a tried and tested method of getting on in the world.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:46 pm
@spendius,
Well maybe we should declare a ceasefire, spendy? Declare peace in our time?

Everyone just stop calling the other person names. Now!

I think this is a great idea (even though I thought of it myself!) & we should run with it! Very Happy

What do you think?

(But following folk around from thread to thread AND calling them names is kinda worse. It's a bit spooky.)
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:54 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Declare peace in our time?

Brilliant idea, considering how well that worked for the Czechs at the time. Smile
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:56 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, I thought we'd use the famous Czech example as our model for this proposed A2K ceasefire, Thomas.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R69173%2C_M%C3%BCnchener_Abkommen%2C_Staatschefs.jpg/300px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R69173%2C_M%C3%BCnchener_Abkommen%2C_Staatschefs.jpg

We can't go wrong! Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:27 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Well maybe we should declare a ceasefire, spendy? Declare peace in our time?

Everyone just stop calling the other person names. Now!

What quantitative figure would you estimate for the number of times I have been called names on the threads where I defend the Christian way of life against people, with farmerman in the lead role, who seek a dramatic change to atheism without being prepared to say what such a change entails or to answer any significant questions put to them.

I'll tell you where to look. There's the Intelligent Design, Science or Religion thread which has 19, 065 posts and 271,051 views and the Latest Challenges to Teaching Evolution thread ( 4,656--36500) and the Don't Tell Me There's No Proof of Evolution thread ( 3,169--41,002.

In my six or so years on those threads I have been on my own and subjected to a constant stream of vituperation, some of it vile, by a bunch of bullies not one of whom has the slightest interest or knowledge of what science or evolution are. They are so bad Olga that a retired senior naval officer has been cowed by these bullies into refraining from defending his religion. And they even drove a long standing A2Ker and declared agnostic off the site with obscenities and insults and the sheer frustration of their refusal to answer any of the simple and obvious points he was making.

Considering that only a small percentage of Americans are atheists and that most are Christians it is obvious that these bullies have scared many Americans from contributing to the threads mentioned by the way they have debated with me.

I'm not an appeaser.

This thread is a fleabite. If it looms large to you Olga I can assure you that it doesn't to me. It's a bit of fun.

Quote:
(But following folk around from thread to thread AND calling them names is kinda worse. It's a bit spooky.)

I don't know if that is meant to refer to me but if you click on farmerman's posts, which I have just checked, you will see that I don't follow him around. I have not been on any of the threads listed on the first pages apart from this one and the ones mentioned. And anyway- there is a natural tendency to check out posts on New Posts made by members one is engaged with on other threads. There is nothing spooky about it. farmerman throws it out that I follow him because he expects everybody to believe the ridiculous assertions he makes, when he's stumped for an answer, on the evidence that he has made them. If his assertions were true I would have hurled myself into the insane asylum doors years ago and begged to be straightened out.

If I were to hazard a guess at the number of insults directed at me, and some of them were vile, I would guess at about--er er--umm--er 20,000. Maybe 40,000.

Not that I care. Let them make America look stupid before the eyes of the world. And they do. And they make atheists look stupid. And science. And evolution theory. You should see some of the things they have called freely elected govenors of the states of Louisiana and Texas. And not one of them ever had a single vote cast for them nor have they dared stand soliciting votes.

Don't imagine that stopping calling them names will cause them to stop calling Christians names. That's how appeasers always lose.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:32 am
He's been given reasons by the dozen on other threads.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:48 am
@edgarblythe,
Cite a few Ed. Let's see if they are reasons.
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:10 pm
@Mame,
Welllll.... that might be the fault of those users who go on here just to humiliate others to have a good laugh, or those who live for arguing and fill up threads with insults and "evidence" behind their statements because they cannot stop until they "win".

For instance, when I posted a question asking how to fix unhealthy bleached hair... I got a reply to put vegemite on my head. Several posts later, after someone mentioned that vegemite is simply a spread to put on bread and will not do anything for my hair, the person who wrote that idea said they were joking and were waiting to see someone straighten me out. Haha. Very funny. Imagine I actually went and put vegemite on my hair before I read those replies?
Also, when I posted a question about whether marijuana affects the brain, I got several pages of foolish bickering going around back and forth, name-calling, insults, childish things resembling the infamous "I know you are but what am I?"

People soon get tired of this and leave the forum.
Which, by the way, I did, years ago.

Back then, I loved this forum and was a devoted visitor. Then after several times, I was bashed and virtually beaten for speaking my religious beliefs, and so I left and did not return until my curiosity got the best of me, when I recently created a new account.
Who knows how long I will stay this time and how fast the immaturity of some A2K users simply gets under my skin...?
We will see.